Greg Bedard thoughts on Patriots OTA's Yesterday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Greg Bedard thoughts on Patriots OTA's Yesterday

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 57m
    Spent some time today at Patriots practice. Didn't observe it as meticulously as I used to, but had a few thoughts.

Passing off is obviously a big work in progress. With all the new faces, there wasn't much of the usual precision. Tho some nice catches.

You can tell Brady knows the score and is being extremely patient. In past years, all the incompletions would have really ticked him off

The new-found muscle and bulk on Ridley and Vereen was surprising.

Cannon isn't as lean as he was back at tackle. Much thicker and has built up his lower body. More power.

Adrian Wilson is huge. Tavon Wilson wasn't in the mix much at all. Wonder if they're having him watch Adrian to see a real pro.

Blount was as advertised...completely missed a blitz pickup. It's a new system for him, so it's still very early.

The defensive continuity in personnel is obviously helping. They're not well ahead of the offense, they're on a different planet. Expected.

It's so odd to see the offense so far behind, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't like that with all the new faces/starters out.

Nothing stood out from the WRs except a couple nice downfield catches. Everyone, including Amendola, is feeling their way. That will change.

This is no. 37 on their to-do list, but the young WRs are going to need to run more precise routes to function highly come game time.

Lot of rounded off routes. That won't fly when it comes down to it. But that comes later. They need to learn the system first.

Oh, and one more thought: still not a Kafka fan. Slow delivery. Not much zip.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Greg Bedard thoughts on Patriots OTA's Yesterday

None of Bedard's observations are particularly surprising.  I don't think anyone expected the passing game to be in sync this early.  Good to read that Cannon and the backs have bulked up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

None of Bedard's observations are particularly surprising.  I don't think anyone expected the passing game to be in sync this early.  Good to read that Cannon and the backs have bulked up.

Big year for Ridley and Vareen. Vareen needs to stay healthy and on the field and show that he is more than capable of handling all the extra touches he will get with the departure of Woody. Ridley just needs to protect the rock... I think 900 -1200 yard range is in the cards if he can stay healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Big year for Ridley and Vareen. Vareen needs to stay healthy and on the field and show that he is more than capable of handling all the extra touches he will get with the departure of Woody. Ridley just needs to protect the rock... I think 900 -1200 yard range is in the cards if he can stay healthy.

Absolutely agree re: Ridley and Vereen.  Both of them have the potential to make serious contributions this year.  See no reason why Ridley can't put up another 1,000 + yd season.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the Kafka comments are also not surprising...if Philly let him go for nothing and drafted Barkley, they did not feel he was worth the roster spot. Make trading Mallett even more far fetched.

I was not at ota's last year (nor this year) but was at many sessions last years camp...Brady was very animated and competitive about mistakes and losing to the D...wonder how long his patience will last this year?

I had one writer I was talking to also comment on AWilson being so big. He wondered if that is part of a plan to play Wilson in the box, and will it hurt Wilson when asked to cover.

Bedards comment "Blount was as advertised"....is very telling

I find ota's more of a glorified captains practice. when other posters are slapping each other on the back that Dobson looks great or Jenkins made a catch, I have said it is a glorified toss and catch, lets see what happens when the pads come on. and I get criticized on the board for negativity, not objectivity. yet here's Bedard, a very astute follower with close to a scouts eye, saying that the offense is another another planet compared to the defense (not in a good way), and the WR's are feeling their way, rounding off routes etc...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My God!  A Spiro Agnew reference.  First time I've seen one in quite some time.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't really pay to much attention to OTA's as far as who looks good in drills and who doesn't because well to many times we've heard rave reviews of players in OTA's only for them to be cut at the end of camp on not play any type of role during the season. However, it's great to hear about who looks bigger, who added bulk, and who looks in good shape.

Cannon adding bulk (esp in the legs) to me suggests he's shifting inside this year. 

Vereen adding bulk will be nice and should give him stability but I'm concerned it could take away from his speed which was his biggest asset last year

Ridley adding bulk is what I expected as he'll become more of a Dillon type of runner. A power back with some break away spend if he can get to the second level.

T Wilson I'm still concerned about. Between his regression at the end of last season, the signing of A Wilson, and the drafting of another SS along with Ebner battling is not a good sign that he's mainly taking notes at this point. This might be the one time I hope Rusty is right and T Wilson breaks out and shows us he wasn't a reach but the signs aren't looking good right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Personally, I think it's almost a waste of time to judge anyone at this point....OTAs don't mean squat. I mean Brady not being in sync with all his new receivers? What a shock!!

Are any of the rookies considered "busts" yet?? LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

900-1200 yards for Ridley if he stays healthy? or Vereen?? Ridley had over 1200 last year and I would project him more like 1200 - 1500 this year based on all the new WR's and the fact we might run it a little more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

^ agree I hope ridley just holds on to the rock. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

900-1200 yards for Ridley if he stays healthy? or Vereen?? Ridley had over 1200 last year and I would project him more like 1200 - 1500 this year based on all the new WR's and the fact we might run it a little more.

I think vareen is going to get more carries and eat into Ridley's attempts and total production... that's why I said 900- 1200. I think he will have more catches and a higher YPC this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Personally, I think it's almost a waste of time to judge anyone at this point....OTAs don't mean squat. I mean Brady not being in sync with all his new receivers? What a shock!!

Seeing as Collins doesn't have any sacks yet, he's a bust and so is Beauharnais, no sacks, no hurries and no tackles. All the D guy's selected this year are busts, just look at their stats!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

+1

Also like to add that I was surprised to hear Vereen also added some bulk, which is great news.  I hope that doesn't slow him down some, but that should help him when they run draws on third downs...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

+1

Also like to add that I was surprised to hear Vereen also added some bulk, which is great news.  I hope that doesn't slow him down some, but that should help him when they run draws on third downs...

With today's  training techniques he probably won't lose any speed.  Not only was speed one of his attributes coming out of college but he was extremely strong putting up something like 30 or 31 reps on the bench press.  Alot for his size at the time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

the Kafka comments are also not surprising...if Philly let him go for nothing and drafted Barkley, they did not feel he was worth the roster spot. Make trading Mallett even more far fetched.

I was not at ota's last year (nor this year) but was at many sessions last years camp...Brady was very animated and competitive about mistakes and losing to the D...wonder how long his patience will last this year?

I had one writer I was talking to also comment on AWilson being so big. He wondered if that is part of a plan to play Wilson in the box, and will it hurt Wilson when asked to cover.

I find ota's more of a glorified captains practice. when other posters are slapping each other on the back that Dobson looks great or Jenkins made a catch, I have said it is a glorified toss and catch, lets see what happens when the pads come on. and I get criticized on the board for negativity, not objectivity. yet here's Bedard, a very astute follower with close to a scouts eye, saying that the offense is another another planet compared to the defense (not in a good way), and the WR's are feeling their way, rounding off routes etc...

You're contradicting yourself in every breath you take...

You muse about OTAs, comment on Bedard's observations, pick and choose the ones which are particularly negative (Blount missing a block, Adrian Wilson looking big, and your conversation with a colleague that this may affect his ability to cover, the offense looking out-of-sync, Kafka looking medicore) and fail to point out a single positive thought Bedard had. Not only do you fail to highlight anything positive Bedard said, you interject your own negative, pessimistic commentary. 

Yet, you go on to say in the next paragraph that OTAs are entirely meaningless, and what happens there should be essentially disregarded...
    Only to follow that with a negative, cynical comment, handpicking a few of Bedard's comments about the offense looking behind the defense, and the new receivers struggling, and how that is a thing of concern.

So how should we label you and your post(s)? Should we classify you as a cyncial, negative, debbie-downer, who really doesn't appear to have any kind of fandom for the Pats, beyond that of an overly critical analysis here or there? 

Or should be label you as a hypocritical, know-nothing, as you seem to be attempting to draw conclusions from OTAs, which you yourself say is a futile act?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

You muse about OTAs, comment on Bedard's observations, pick and choose the ones which are particularly negative (Blount missing a block, Adrian Wilson looking big, and your conversation with a colleague that this may affect his ability to cover, the offense looking out-of-sync, Kafka looking medicore) and fail to point out a single positive thought Bedard had. Not only do you fail to highlight anything positive Bedard said, you interject your own negative, pessimistic commentary. 

Yet, you go on to say in the next paragraph that OTAs are entirely meaningless, and what happens there should be essentially disregarded...
    Only to follow that with a negative, cynical comment, handpicking a few of Bedard's comments about the offense looking behind the defense, and the new receivers struggling, and how that is a thing of concern.

So how should we label you and your post(s)? Should we classify you as a cyncial, negative, debbie-downer, who really doesn't appear to have any kind of fandom for the Pats, beyond that of an overly critical analysis here or there? 

Or should be label you as a worthless, hypocritical know-nothing, as you seem to be attempting to draw conclusions from OTAs, which you yourself say is a futile act?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Or should be label you as a hypocritical, know-nothing, as you seem to be attempting to draw conclusions from OTAs, which you yourself say is a futile act?

I am glad you asked. Thank you. Label me as some one who could care less what happens at OTA's. They are a glorified captains practice. That is not to say I dont enjoy hearing and discussing them, but I dont put a lot of weight in what we hear about them.

Also label me as someone who has been attending camp the past 17 years and has media access to most of the ex players who are now in the media. I put a lot of value on their comments, as well as other non ex player media types like Bedard. I watch camp with my own judgements, as well as listen to what others are sayng and discussing, and objectively understand about 45% of the payers we watch will not be on the team. Camp is about critically looking at players to see who gets cut and who makes the team. June/July and August, I have a more critical eye than during the season.

I attended almost 20 sessions last summer, and posted many observations on this board. Some were very positive. Some were not. I was right on many players, I was wrong on a few.

I didnt realize this forum was for ball washers and pink hat fans who wish to get giddy in the off season and think eveythng Pats is the best and nothing less. To sit here and get happy because Dobson caught a tough throw, and not mention he does not understand the offense yet, and his routes are lacking, I cannot do...if you find this objectivity a downer, put me on ignore. I prefer an honest assesment of the team, and also wish to honestly comment on what I see, hear and think about the team....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

1.) That's what everyone should be thinking. 

If Gronk can't start the season on time, it's very likely that Brady is going to take the field with just one WR or TE who has ever even caught a pass from him before.

I expect Amendola (health permitting) to get up to speed quickly because he is a vet and a pro, and the slot is the easiest role to comprehend in this offense. Brady and DA have been putting in extra work this offseason to get in synch .... the slot is so crucial to how NE attacks defenses and dinks and dunks its way down the field. They really need to come out firing. I think they can.

But with a bunch of JAGish recruits and some promising but green rookies, it could be a full season before you see the kind of precision that NE is capable of with this group. The offense will be a work in progress all season if anything derails Gronk or Amendola. Regardless my guess is that they'll lean heavily on their running backs and TEs early on while everyone catches up. 

2.) It's also good to see that the continuity in the defensive backfield is paying early dividends and they are all on the same page. Given the mess it's been back there for the last five seasons, it's good to see them finally carrying over a group with experience all around. That hasn't been the case, as they've gone through a lot of upheaval and always have two or three guys learning to play in the defense or learning new roles every single year.

Even if Wilson becomes the starter next to DMC, I'm still not that worried because if a vet with his HOF credentials can't get up to speed I'd literally be shocked. 

3.) Love that Vereen is bulkier, but his biggest hurdle will be learning to run between the tackles better. It's such a fundamental part of what this offense does to soften the middle of the field ans suck people in, that he will always face limited reps if he can't. If he can, he can serisouly challenge Ridley for the most reps. I don't think Ridley needs any more, he just needs to run a bit lower to project his existing power better. Gaining muscle could help or hurt the guy imo as he isn't a speed burner to begin with. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I am glad you asked. Thank you. Label me as some one who could care less what happens at OTA's. They are a glorified captains practice. That is not to say I dont enjoy hearing and discussing them, but I dont put a lot of weight in what we hear about them.

Also label me as someone who has been attending camp the past 17 years and has media access to most of the ex players who are now in the media. I put a lot of value on their comments, as well as other non ex player media types like Bedard. I watch camp with my own judgements, as well as listen to what others are sayng and discussing, and objectively understand about 45% of the payers we watch will not be on the team. Camp is about critically looking at players to see who gets cut and who makes the team. June/July and August, I have a more critical eye than during the season.

I attended almost 20 sessions last summer, and posted many observations on this board. Some were very positive. Some were not. I was right on many players, I was wrong on a few.

I didnt realize this forum was for ball washers and pink hat fans who wish to get giddy in the off season and think eveythng Pats is the best and nothing less. To sit here and get happy because Dobson caught a tough throw, and not mention he does not understand the offense yet, and his routes are lacking, I cannot do...if you find this objectivity a downer, put me on ignore. I prefer an honest assesment of the team, and also wish to honestly comment on what I see, hear and think about the team....

Objectivity means looking at something without emotion. To claim to be a fan, which derives from fanatic, which essentially describes someone full of enthusiasm and emotion, and still be objective, is, in a sense, mutually exclusive. 

But I digress.

Being objective in the context of being a fan means you also need to highlight the positive, not only the negative, which is something you failed to do.

Sections
Shortcuts