Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks

he calls jones the best de in the draft. says he will be a better pass rsuher in teh pros than in college.

to the hightower pick, he says "one of my most frustrating watches. bb sees something i didnt.he traded up to get him. spikes + hightower, no speed."

cosell is pretty good with his evaluations. i was surprised by this one.

am curious what he said of upshaw pick, if he did tweet anything. i'm not a tweeter or follower i wouldnt know.

found this on nfl films website.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks

wow very surprising. I still pick BB's judgment over Cosells. Nice find Brdbreu since I hadn't seen or heard this anywhere else.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks

Speed is way overrated for LBs. WAY overrated.

-Instincts
    -Ability to fight through blockers
    -Ability to read the play and react
    * Wildcard: Coaches puting you in the correct spot to match your skills

Speed can cover up some of those above factors, but having those negates the need for straight-line speed. FOr instance, Spikes doesn't strike me as a 'slow' player. Certainly, coverage isn't his strong suit, but it's not like RBs are beating him around the corner.

I really wonder what this means for Mayo. Does he move outside? If so, strong or weak? Spikes is built to be a MLB, I think both Hightower and mayo are far more versatile. 4-3, with Mayo/Spikes/Hightower, in that order? Seems pretty e f f i n good to me!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Didnt Hightower run a 4.68 or something like that?  suddenly that is slow?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Never go by a noticably slow time at the combine.  Maybe the guy had the flu that day.  Maybe he had a hammy and it will be gone by September.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wasn't Gary Guyton the fastest LB in his draft class?  And wasn't Spikes one of the slowest? So who's playing MLB for the Pats now--the fast one or the slow one?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Interesting, If you asked me, and I'm no expert- Hightower was the better prospect. I know Jones has more rare size and speed but he has yet to turn those athletic gifts into elite production on a football field. There are guys who have every conceivable athletic gift to become great but still never do. I'm not saying that is the case with Jones because who really knows. Plus BB's history of first round D lineman is pretty darn good (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork), so he seems to know what he's doing. But I definitely think Jones is a bigger risk than Hightower who has been an elite player in college for years. As far as speed goes, I do think it matters but I don't think that it can be measured at the combine for LBers. LBers don't really ever run in a straight line so I would just look at his speed while playing. As far as I know, he was never considered slow on the field, and I certainly can't see why any 40 yard dash would change that. Especially since he had a good time. Is a 265lb linebacker going to run stride for stride down the sideline with a WR?- no, will he be asked to?- no. Can he cover a TE, or stay with a RB who bounces to the outside? Yes, I have no doubt in my mind he can.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks":
    Interesting, If you asked me, and I'm no expert- Hightower was the better prospect. I know Jones has more rare size and speed but he has yet to turn those athletic gifts into elite production on a football field. There are guys who have every conceivable athletic gift to become great but still never do. I'm not saying that is the case with Jones because who really knows. Plus BB's history of first round D lineman is pretty darn good (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork), so he seems to know what he's doing. But I definitely think Jones is a bigger risk than Hightower who has been an elite player in college for years. As far as speed goes, I do think it matters but I don't think that it can be measured at the combine for LBers. LBers don't really ever run in a straight line so I would just look at his speed while playing. As far as I know, he was never considered slow on the field, and I certainly can't see why any 40 yard dash would change that. Especially since he had a good time. Is a 265lb linebacker going to run stride for stride down the sideline with a WR?- no, will he be asked to?- no. Can he cover a TE, or stay with a RB who bounces to the outside? Yes, I have no doubt in my mind he can. Posted by shenanigan
    +1 I think Hightower will yield faster on the field production, but once jones gets stronger and settled in, I think he will develop like Mayock and everyone else think. If we all can't get excited by a lb corps of mayo, spikes, Hightower then I don't know what to say. This could possibly develop into the best lb corps in the league given a year or two.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I have no idea about the speed of hightower, but I think with the changes to a more pass happy NFL, you are looking at issues where you have 5 fast receivers/TE/RBs going out in pass routes on any down - that means at least one of your LBs better be able to keep up (and probably 2.) So yes, having more straight line speed at LB is not a bad idea. It is why many people thought the Pats might be looking at one of the smaller faster LBs at some point in the draft. I do think the Pats front seven is a little slow and I don't think that changed in the draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

So Hightower doesn't run a 4.42. Whoop-tee-do. 

Hightower brings versatility. He can get down as a DE. He can play the middle. He's a big 6'4" and 265. 

You know what? He's good enough. I'm content to trust the Hoodie.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This isn't the Olympics, some plays only last a few seconds....so yes reaction time will beat speed every time.  Speed is more important if you are a WR or CB/S etc.... but even then the ability to read a play/react/and move immediately will do more than anything else every time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

his comments, err lack of, on Tavon Wilson...

"Have not + will not see Tavon Wilson. Now that draft is over I don't have time to go back + watch college tape anymore. Will trust Belichick"

"Leave it to Belichick to draft 1st player I know nothing about. Not afraid to admit it. Did not study him on film. Anxious to see him."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks:
    he calls jones the best de in the draft. says he will be a better pass rsuher in teh pros than in college. to the hightower pick, he says "one of my most frustrating watches. bb sees something i didnt.he traded up to get him. spikes + hightower, no speed." cosell is pretty good with his evaluations. i was surprised by this one. am curious what he said of upshaw pick, if he did tweet anything. i'm not a tweeter or follower i wouldnt know. found this on nfl films website.
    Posted by bredbru

"Upshaw good scheme fit in Baltimore. Great position versatility in a multiple front defense. Movable chess piece element. Like the pick."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

In Response to Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks:
    he calls jones the best de in the draft. says he will be a better pass rsuher in teh pros than in college. to the hightower pick, he says "one of my most frustrating watches. bb sees something i didnt.he traded up to get him. spikes + hightower, no speed." cosell is pretty good with his evaluations. i was surprised by this one. am curious what he said of upshaw pick, if he did tweet anything. i'm not a tweeter or follower i wouldnt know. found this on nfl films website.
    Posted by bredbru

Bredbru-

I think you may have misquoted him. See below for what he said and the link to the story is there also..he seems to like the Hightower pick.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock discussed the 2012 NFL Draft, taking a look at the Patriots during the discussion on the latest edition of The Rich Eisen Podcast. Below is a link to the entire podcast followed by Mayock’s comments on the draft for the Patriots below. In particular, Mayock zeroes in on the first round, and Bill Belichick moving up for both Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower.

On the New England Patriots in the first round:

"I love those two moves and part of the reason is I love the two players they got. If I didn’t love them, I’d probably be killing [the Patriots]. Atypical of Bill Belichick, everybody assumes he’s moving down and out. If you look at that offense, it is obviously Super Bowl-ready; it carried them to one last year. That offense is ready to go; there’s not a whole lot more necessary even with the retirement of their left tackle. Defensively is what they had to augment and I went on the record before the draft in saying I thought that the defensive end from Syracuse, Chandler Jones, who was number nine on my board – three years from now he might be the best defensive end in football. I believe that strongly: he might be the best defensive player that comes out of this draft. I love that pick and the [Dont’a] Hightower thing was a no-brainer. You want to talk about somebody who is right up Bill Belichick’s alley it’s this kid. Anytime you can get two starters in your front seven on a defense that needs help, that’s a huge win."

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/05/04/nfl-network-analyst-mike-mayock-gives-his-take-on-pats-draft-day-maneuvers/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks":
    In Response to Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks : Bredbru- I think you may have misquoted him. See below for what he said and the link to the story is there also..he seems to like the Hightower pick. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock discussed the 2012 NFL Draft, taking a look at the Patriots during the discussion on the latest edition of The Rich Eisen Podcast. Below is a link to the entire podcast followed by Mayock’s comments on the draft for the Patriots below. In particular, Mayock zeroes in on the first round, and Bill Belichick moving up for both Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower. On the New England Patriots in the first round: "I love those two moves and part of the reason is I love the two players they got. If I didn’t love them, I’d probably be killing [the Patriots]. Atypical of Bill Belichick, everybody assumes he’s moving down and out. If you look at that offense, it is obviously Super Bowl-ready; it carried them to one last year. That offense is ready to go; there’s not a whole lot more necessary even with the retirement of their left tackle. Defensively is what they had to augment and I went on the record before the draft in saying I thought that the defensive end from Syracuse, Chandler Jones, who was number nine on my board – three years from now he might be the best defensive end in football. I believe that strongly: he might be the best defensive player that comes out of this draft. I love that pick and the [Dont’a] Hightower thing was a no-brainer. You want to talk about somebody who is right up Bill Belichick’s alley it’s this kid. Anytime you can get two starters in your front seven on a defense that needs help, that’s a huge win." http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/05/04/nfl-network-analyst-mike-mayock-gives-his-take-on-pats-draft-day-maneuvers/ Posted by stewart7557
    You talking about Cosell or Mayock?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Hightower's combine numbers were the best at his position, specifically a "sam" inside linebacker. He will be asked to meet offensive guards at the line of scrimmage, throw them to the side and make the tackle.  If you don't like Hightower for this job you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

We already have a fast, athletic "will" linebacker named Mayo...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

In Response to Re: Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks:
    In response to "Re: Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks": You talking about Cosell or Mayock?
    Posted by shenanigan

Shenanigan....your right.........my mistake.....thanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Hightower is fast, don't listen to this guy. Only the part about Jones, other than that forget it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Greg Cosell: No full analysis in yet, but tweeted reaction to 1st round picks:
    Wasn't Gary Guyton the fastest LB in his draft class?  And wasn't Spikes one of the slowest? So who's playing MLB for the Pats now--the fast one or the slow one?
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Well then.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm not too worried about Hightower's speed.  Even if he's not the fastest LB or the best LB in pass coverage, he still seems to have more talent and athleticism than a lot of the other guys we trotted out as LBs last year. It seems to me that Hightower has the potential to be a dominant ILB, with the versatility to play OLB when needed (and maybe be an especially effective pass rusher from that OLB position).  I think he makes our 4-3 formations better in pass coverage assuming he's replacing Spikes as the MLB (leaving Nink and Mayo on the outside), and he certainly adds to the talent level in the 4-3, where he's replacing a DE or a back-up fourth LB like White or Fletcher.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

When I first watched Hightower I've got to admit that I did think he looked a little heavy in the legs/not all that quick, but from what I've read his speed and quickness has improved more and more since his acl tear.  I don't think a guy that runs a 4.67 at 260 pounds will be a problem in the speed department, and you also have to add in the fact that he'll be even further removed from the acl tear next season. 

I just like him for the versatility he will bring to the front seven and his size. It's good to hear that Cosell has Chandler held in such high regard - I personally think the kid looks more like a 43 defensive end than a 34 outside backer, but the bottom line is he looks like a player to me. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I watched Bama a few times this past season and I'll go by what my eyes told me. Hightower can flat play. He will be a very good player on Sundays. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

They should really eliminate the 40 yard dash, fans put farrrrr too much weight on it, and it's nearly irrelevant to football movements outside of the top of the route tree.  Spikes ran a horrible 40, plays faster in pads.  Hightower ran a pretty good 40, I don't see that type of speed/range on tape.  In fact the entire combine is just about useless in my mind, the guy can run as fast as the wind or as slow as a sloth, if the tape shows otherwise what does it matter?

Sections
Shortcuts