Greg Ellis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Greg Ellis

Just read that the Cowboys are trading Ellis. Couldnt he be a great OLB for a year or two at the Pats. I think he has been a Pro Bowler too. In my opinon he is just as good as Taylor - and now that Burgess probably is a no-show, Ellis might be the right solution. Your thoughts??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Greg Ellis

[QUOTE]Just read that the Cowboys are trading Ellis. Couldnt he be a great OLB for a year or two at the Pats. I think he has been a Pro Bowler too. In my opinon he is just as good as Taylor - and now that Burgess probably is a no-show, Ellis might be the right solution. Your thoughts??
    Posted by haldager[/QUOTE] well according to this the pats are not intreasted.im surprised.but then again,he does carry a high cap number.and its more then what the pats can afford right now.if they had more cap space.we could be seeing a lot of possibilities.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/21/cowboys-are-shopping-greg-ellis/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

By not drafting an OLB and not signing one thru free agency I have to believe that Belichick is satisfied with what he currently sees on the roster. Unless he has something up his sleeve on the Peppers thing we may not see another pickup until camp starts and some OLB's from other teams are cut.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

[QUOTE]well according to this the pats are not intreasted.im surprised.but then again,he does carry a high cap number.and its more then what the pats can afford right now.if they had more cap space.we could be seeing a lot of possibilities. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/21/cowboys-are-shopping-greg-ellis/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I think the Pats would have major interest if he is cut outright and we can sign him to a lesser salary.  Interesting article.  There is a bit of gamesmanship going on here.  I guess the Cowboys are targetting Cincy because the old D-Coordinator has a connection to the Cowboys. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

ESPN is reporting that the Pats are interested.  He actually seems like PERFECT fit. Let Crable develop a year or two as a backup and let Ellis start.  He has the size as a converted DE and has been productive as a OLB for the Cowboys.  With him, our D could be unstoppable.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The rumor I read was that he was going to be cut.

If he is cut, NE has to pounce. He might not necessarily improve the pass rush base on younger players developing, but we don't know that he won't. If you assume zro sacks from the youngens' he is gold.

That is the point of cheap vet pickups.

And he has ideal BB size (6'6" 260).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

If he is cut, no doubt NE should pounce.  Common sense would say that of the three teams (Pats, Bengals, Dolphins) chasing him he would sign w/ the Pats should an offer even come close.  Ellis, like most smart players, would not want to be stuck in Miami where they will get dominated by the Pats and Bills, or the criminal hot bed in Cinci.  Players learn to listen and stay quiet in NE, I see no reason why Ellis can't.  Get Ellis NE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

Only way he lands on the Pats is if he is cut and then signs a very reasonable contract. BB doesn't cut some1 who played the same position, at about the same age, and then sign some1 for more than the player he just cut (ie Vrabel). We'll be good. Crable will be introducing himself to opposing QB's this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I think Ellis was way better than Vrabel last season, plus he needs a ring! I think he would be a much needed upgrade at OLB. No way Crable will be a pro-bowl caliber OLB his first season. We cant expect every rookie to be like Mayo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

[QUOTE]I think Ellis was way better than Vrabel last season, plus he needs a ring! I think he would be a much needed upgrade at OLB. No way Crable will be a pro-bowl caliber OLB his first season. We cant expect every rookie to be like Mayo.
    Posted by haldager[/QUOTE]

If he is cut loose,it is nearly inconceivable that the Patriots would not make serious effort to bring him into the fold.His experience,physical attributes(he would no problem holding the edge on the run,is proven pass rusher and has displayed a well rounded game at both DE and OLB)and capacity to grasp different defensive schemes bode extremely well for his success in the Patriots complex defense.In fact,if the an arrangement on his contract could be reached with N.E.that would be compatable with a tight salary cap situation,I'd tried to work out a trade for him(3rd rounder perhaps).Those of you who fear he will inhibit the development of youngsters such as Crable and Redd remember that the Patriots will,in all likelihood ,keep 9 linebackers meaning that these two plus woods could have well have a roster spot plus another vet to learn from and their development will not have to rushed and you know that coach greatly favors deep rotations when he the personnel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Save your money till 2010. Trade up to get Spikes at ILB and sign Demarcus Ware after another early Cowboys exit. Move him to OLB. Some problems solved. I am, as usual,sick of reading posts about the Pats acquiring some 30 something (man, did I hate that show) LB to solve all the Pats problems on D, however I decided to play along. And Ware is better than AD, Burgess, Brooks, Foote etc....my idea was if you're going to big than go big and short of acquiring Harrison (who evidently has issues not related to his age) acquiring WAre is big as it gets. I better idea is to let the young players get more reps so that we can see what they can do before hawking the house for some 30ish LB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, Hog is right about one thing: That show "30 Something" was terrible.

You know how I know?

I never watched it once and it still makes me want to hurl?

Cool

Oh . . .   he's also right about the continuous blather about bringing in overpriced aging vets.

I just right this minute decided that Shawn Crable is my new favorit player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

PrairieMike: Timothy Busfield must die. He almost made Field of Dreams s--k. I've idrank 2/3 a bottle of JD and I will hurl over the known universe (inlcuding all dark matter) if Timothy Busfield is not killed.....but yeah I want to see Crable kick some serious a--....I knew Thirhty Something sucked when my sister proclaimed he fondness for the show (just like the Thompson Twins....who should be....well.. maybe banished not killed).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

im seeing miami,and parcells getting him before the pats do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Well, Hog is right about one thing: That show "30 Something" was terrible. You know how I know? I never watched it once and it still makes me want to hurl? Oh . . .   he's also right about the continuous blather about bringing in overpriced aging vets. I just right this minute decided that Shawn Crable is my new favorit player.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

If he is overpriced,  don't bring him in. If he is dirt cheap, then why not add a vet who could contribute.

I like Crable a lot too. More than most on the forum, but if you could choose between the current crew and the current crew plus Greg Ellis for something like Vet min, you take option b.).

If anything just to satiate the people who feel that NE NEEDs to add an OLB with a "name" they recognize.

This is just the vestigial tail of the two year obsession with Jason Taylor, that went unrequited.

People are nuts if they think Taylor (or likely Ellis even though he is healthier) will be a transformative agent for the NE pass rush.

I would rather have a young guy with 4.6 speed running after the QB all told.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]PrairieMike: Timothy Busfield must die. He almost made Field of Dreams s--k. I've idrank 2/3 a bottle of JD and I will hurl over the known universe (inlcuding all dark matter) if Timothy Busfield is not killed.....but yeah I want to see Crable kick some serious a--....I knew Thirhty Something sucked when my sister proclaimed he fondness for the show (just like the Thompson Twins....who should be....well.. maybe banished not killed).
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

I heard that Hold Me Now song on "classic rock" radio at work the other day, and it's a funny thing, because I know there are no twins in the band and nobody is named Thompson -- so how come whenever I hear the Thompson Twins, what I think of is Milli Vanilli?

Weird.Foot in mouth

THE OFF-SEASON IS TOO LONG!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Just read that the Cowboys are trading Ellis. Couldnt he be a great OLB for a year or two at the Pats. I think he has been a Pro Bowler too. In my opinon he is just as good as Taylor - and now that Burgess probably is a no-show, Ellis might be the right solution. Your thoughts??
    Posted by haldager[/QUOTE]

The Cowboys are desparate to unload the guy. He's 34 years old, and makes far too much money. So, even if the Pats are interested in him, why do the Cowboys a favor by trading them a draft choice, and taking on his contract?  Why not instead wait until the Cowboys release him, and sign him to a much more reasonable rate...with no compensation owed?

Heres' some info on his salary...as he will cost the Cowboys over $6mil. against their cap in 2009 (over $4mil if released): http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/this-draft-wont-make-greg-ellis-feel-goo.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' more on Ellis. Be sure to browse through the fan comments...some of which are both illuminating and comical: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/can-cowboys-afford-to-get-rid-of-greg-el.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I thought some of our wishful thinking was something,but they the cowboys fans are really being wishful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]     Heres' more on Ellis. Be sure to browse through the fan comments...some of which are both illuminating and comical: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/can-cowboys-afford-to-get-rid-of-greg-el.html
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Did one of those posters seriously say Ellis for Moss?

I think the last post sums it up. The Cowboys are hemmoraghing starters. Maybe they weren't the best players in the league, but who are they replacing them with?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The Cowpokes have lost Williams and Owens and maybe Ellis too. TO. can blame whoever he wants; what Jones wants Jones gets. Typical meddlesome owner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The guy is really old, in a position where old and slow is kind of deadly.  Maybe that's why he was seeing decreased playing time.

BB will be happy enough with young, 6 foot 5 Pierre Woods and/or 6 foot 5 speedster Shawn Crable blitzing from one side, or covering, although neither one will be as good as Adalius Thomas.  Tully Banta-Cain is at least a good backup, especially on blitzing downs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

wow those dallas fans are totally delusional. its good to see that we aren't the only ones! i like the guy who thinks that "DWare" is the best player in football. he reminds me of the guys on here that think crable is better than jason taylor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

If Ellis gets cut, the Pats should be all over him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Cowpokes have lost Williams and Owens and maybe Ellis too. TO. can blame whoever he wants; what Jones wants Jones gets. Typical meddlesome owner.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Jones has now ruined his team twice with his meddling, and his horrid personnel decisions. The first time Mr. Ego shoved Jimmy Johnson out...who had built a dynasty of a team through the draft.

After the Cowboys crashed and burned thereafter, Jones seemingly learned his lesson...and brought aboard Bill Parcells. Once Parcells rebuilt the team, Jones drove him away with his meddling...like insisting that the Cowboys sign TO.

As a result, Parcells went to Miami and built the 1-15 Dolphins into a playoff team...while the Cowboys are once again floundering. I pity Cowboys' coach, Wade Phillips. He has no chance to win there with Jones calling all the shots. 

As for Ellis, he's not the answer to the Patriots' OLB woes. Too old, and too slow.   

Sections
Shortcuts