Greg McElroy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Greg McElroy

I've watched him quite, he isn't surrounded by the media so he slipped off my mind past couple of weeks.

Positives.

Very good footwork can take a snap in Shotgun, 3 step drop and 5 step drop.
    Cannon of an arm (easily stronger than TB)
    High IQ (just like TB, which is his biggest strength.
    High Character.
    Decent Legs

I know he is coming from a run based offense.

And you can't go wrong with a guy whose last name is McElroy.

I know TB got 4 years left on his contract but for 5th or 6th round this guy is a steal. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Greg McElroy

In Response to Greg McElroy:
    I've watched him quite, he isn't surrounded by the media so he slipped off my mind past couple of weeks. Positives. Very good footwork can take a snap in Shotgun, 3 step drop and 5 step drop. Cannon of an arm (easily stronger than TB) High IQ (just like TB, which is his biggest strength. High Character. Decent Legs I know he is coming from a run based offense. And you can't go wrong with a guy whose last name is McElroy. I know TB got 4 years left on his contract but for 5th or 6th round this guy is a steal. 
    Posted by akius

I like McElroy as a late round option for a lot of the reasons you mentioned, but Brady has one of the stronger arms in the league while McElroy's arm is adequate and would fit well with their short/intermediate scheme but certainly not a cannon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Greg McElroy:
    In Response to Greg McElroy : I like McElroy as a late round option for a lot of the reasons you mentioned, but Brady has one of the stronger arms in the league while McElroy's arm is adequate and would fit well with their short/intermediate scheme but certainly not a cannon.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I know u know more than me, heck u prob the most knowledgeable person on the board. But on you tube I just saw him make a 50 yard throw and right into his receiver. And he is going to sit behind TB for years, he can work on it there.

People have to realize as TB gets old the injury risk goes up every year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Greg McElroy : I know u know more than me, heck u prob the most knowledgeable person on the board. But on you tube I just saw him make a 50 yard throw and right into his receiver. And he is going to sit behind TB for years, he can work on it there. People have to realize as TB gets old the injury risk goes up every year.
    Posted by akius

Thanks for the kind words.  Not saying that McElroy can't throw the ball 50 yards, but when you're talking a cannon of an arm, your'e talking about kids like Gabbert and Mallet etc., the ball just jumps out of their hands and gets on the receiver quickly. 

I think most fans realize that TB won't be around for ever and count me as someone who thinks they may target/draft/develop his eventual successor (if Hoyer's not the guy) within the next draft or two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The problem is that one clip of him throwing a 50 yrd bomb is the 1 in 25 that he made over 40 yards. McElroy is certainly better the closer you get to the line but his arm won't blow you away. However, arm strength can be conditioned to a point so he does have room to improve in that category.

Another late round QB I would take a look at is Scott Tolzien. I think he's a better game manager, more accurate, and he seems to always hit his receivers in stride. McElroy has a better arm between the two. As I said though, arm strength is something that might be improved with the right conditioning and 4 years of conditioning is a long time.

I'd take either but I think in the end Tolzien might end up becoming a starter eventually while McElroy might just be a really good back up

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8

He seems to have a quick release and very good ball velocity.
    I watched TB bowl game and I was so impressed with the fundamentals this guy seems real solid.

Four most Imp thing I want in QB.

a)Poise
    b)Footwork + Throwing Motion
    c)Football IQ (guy aced the Wonderlic)
    d)Character.

He is smart not just football smart he'll pick up lot more from TB than your just average QB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

McElroy tied Fitzpatrick for highest score EVER as a QB.  Also a Rhodes Scholar candidate, so clearly he has the intelligence BB looks for in rookies.  He has good accuracy, and decent strength, which is fine, considering we are a short pass offense.  I would be shocked if he wasn't a Patriot in by the end of Draft weekend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Looks like he can be a matt cassel type. very accurate put not overwhelming arm strength. I wouldnt mind matt cassel as a brady sucessor.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We have a few supplemental picks we have to use. That would be a good time to grab some of these developmental players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

The problem is that one clip of him throwing a 50 yrd bomb is the 1 in 25 that he made over 40 yards. McElroy is certainly better the closer you get to the line but his arm won't blow you away. However, arm strength can be conditioned to a point so he does have room to improve in that category. Another late round QB I would take a look at is Scott Tolzien. I think he's a better game manager, more accurate, and he seems to always hit his receivers in stride. McElroy has a better arm between the two. As I said though, arm strength is something that might be improved with the right conditioning and 4 years of conditioning is a long time. I'd take either but I think in the end Tolzien might end up becoming a starter eventually while McElroy might just be a really good back up
    Posted by PatsEng

I haven't been following any of the QBs this particluar year, so I'm not sayin I'm in 1 camp or another RE: a particular prospect...  Having SAID this, dear lordey, Upon living before & in particluar, through The Drew Bledsoe years THEN having Brady behind the healm...PatsEng really said it all: ALL I want is game-management, no forcing the ball, and more than anything else on planet earth=POCKET PRESCENCE (really, my nerves trully couldn't take 8 more years or so after Bledsoe).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

McElroy tied Fitzpatrick for highest score EVER as a QB.  Also a Rhodes Scholar candidate, so clearly he has the intelligence BB looks for in rookies.  He has good accuracy, and decent strength, which is fine, considering we are a short pass offense.  I would be shocked if he wasn't a Patriot in by the end of Draft weekend.
    Posted by titletownfan

oh Wow I can't believe you guys like the idea, usually these posts about getting one player get blasted. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Greg McElroy : I haven't been .....ALL I want is game-management, no forcing the ball, and more than anything else on planet earth=POCKET PRESCENCE (really, my nerves trully couldn't take 8 more years or so after Bledsoe).

Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Four most Imp thing I want in QB.

a)Poise.
    b)Footwork + Throwing Motion
    c)Football IQ (guy aced the Wonderlic)
    d)Character.

I have it as my no 1 requirement too (Have to be able to remain calm and complete the throw, that's why I'm not really big on qbs that use their legs as an alternative all the time)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Greg McElroy:
    I've watched him quite, he isn't surrounded by the media so he slipped off my mind past couple of weeks. Positives. Very good footwork can take a snap in Shotgun, 3 step drop and 5 step drop. Cannon of an arm (easily stronger than TB) High IQ (just like TB, which is his biggest strength. High Character. Decent Legs I know he is coming from a run based offense. And you can't go wrong with a guy whose last name is McElroy. I know TB got 4 years left on his contract but for 5th or 6th round this guy is a steal. 
    Posted by akius

Any NFL QB can throw a ball 50 yards but, to me, a "cannon arm" means when a guy throws that 50 yard pass, it never gets more that 10-12 feet off the ground. Its a frozen rope.

As much as I can't stand the guy, I have to say brett farve had about as big an arm as any QB I've ever seen. Sadly, JaMarcus Russell was right up there with him.

Our own Tommy's no slacker, either.

What a tragic waste of talent. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I would add a quick release. Getting rid of the ball quick means something. That arm dip that Tebow has will cost him if he does not correct it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

He would be a good QB to develop, though saying he has a stronger arm then Brady is absurb, one good thing about 2007 was that it shut up anyone that said Brady couldn't throw deep. A 50 yard pass is about 20 shy of how far Tom can heave it, but some work on mechanics and in the weight room can remedy that.

Posted by FishTaco64

yhea I know I got a little overexcited, lol.
    I'm so looking forward to TB coaching his successor, it'll be such a surreal moment. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Maybe he already is, you think Hoyer is another "Tom Brady trained" trading chip or the real deal?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The problem is that one clip of him throwing a 50 yrd bomb is the 1 in 25 that he made over 40 yards. McElroy is certainly better the closer you get to the line but his arm won't blow you away. However, arm strength can be conditioned to a point so he does have room to improve in that category. Another late round QB I would take a look at is Scott Tolzien. I think he's a better game manager, more accurate, and he seems to always hit his receivers in stride. McElroy has a better arm between the two. As I said though, arm strength is something that might be improved with the right conditioning and 4 years of conditioning is a long time. I'd take either but I think in the end Tolzien might end up becoming a starter eventually while McElroy might just be a really good back up
    Posted by PatsEng

I'm a Tolzien fan as well. He's a QB that we may be able to grab in the late rounds or even as a UFA. McElroy is going to go in the middle of the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do as Mike Kafka did last year and rise up several rounds, perhaps in this case ending with McElroy in the top of the 3rd round.

Sections
Shortcuts