Gregory out, Chung in...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Gregory out, Chung in...

Per ESPN Boston...Field Yates

As noted by Mike Reiss in his overview of the defensive snaps played in Sunday night's game against the 49ers, Patriots safety Patrick Chung took over for Steve Gregory in the team's base defense following a third quarter catch by Michael Crabtree. The substitution was not injury-related, according to the team, and could have been tied into what Chung brings to the defense when on the field. 

Head coach Bill Belichick shared some praise for Chung on Monday, and on Tuesday defensive coordinator Matt Patricia chimed in with his thoughts on Chung as well. 

"Patrick has done a great job for us in many different areas, whether it’s his coverage ability or his ability to tackle or to adapt in different situations," he said. "He certainly has some good experience, played a lot of football for us and has that side to bring to the game also. It’s a different array of things that he can do that help us in different situations that allows us to be a little bit more multiple in different packages." 

We asked Patricia about what differences from each other, if any, Chung and Gregory present when on the field that might lead the team to play one over the other in certain situations. 

"Well, I think all of our players, certainly, that are active for the game are ready to go at any time and we will try to get them in there at all different times of the game, whether it’s a particular package or to keep them fresh and active," he replied. "Certainly both are productive players for us and both do a great job on the back end. It’s not really anything different for us to rotate people in and give them a chance, an opportunity to go play in the game and hopefully try to help us win. 

Chung, a free agent following this season, has missed four games in 2012 due to a shoulder injury that continues to limit him in practice (he's also dealt with hamstring issues). He has 34 tackles and two passes defensed thus far, and it will be interesting to see if he absorbs a more prominent defensive role in the final two weeks of the regular season.

Like I said, Chung is no Rodney Harrison, but he's a much better safety than Steven 200 pounds Gregory. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Gregory out, Chung in...

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Per ESPN Boston...Field Yates

As noted by Mike Reiss in his overview of the defensive snaps played in Sunday night's game against the 49ers, Patriots safety Patrick Chung took over for Steve Gregory in the team's base defense following a third quarter catch by Michael Crabtree. The substitution was not injury-related, according to the team, and could have been tied into what Chung brings to the defense when on the field. 

Head coach Bill Belichick shared some praise for Chung on Monday, and on Tuesday defensive coordinator Matt Patricia chimed in with his thoughts on Chung as well. 

"Patrick has done a great job for us in many different areas, whether it’s his coverage ability or his ability to tackle or to adapt in different situations," he said. "He certainly has some good experience, played a lot of football for us and has that side to bring to the game also. It’s a different array of things that he can do that help us in different situations that allows us to be a little bit more multiple in different packages." 

We asked Patricia about what differences from each other, if any, Chung and Gregory present when on the field that might lead the team to play one over the other in certain situations. 

"Well, I think all of our players, certainly, that are active for the game are ready to go at any time and we will try to get them in there at all different times of the game, whether it’s a particular package or to keep them fresh and active," he replied. "Certainly both are productive players for us and both do a great job on the back end. It’s not really anything different for us to rotate people in and give them a chance, an opportunity to go play in the game and hopefully try to help us win. 

Chung, a free agent following this season, has missed four games in 2012 due to a shoulder injury that continues to limit him in practice (he's also dealt with hamstring issues). He has 34 tackles and two passes defensed thus far, and it will be interesting to see if he absorbs a more prominent defensive role in the final two weeks of the regular season.

Like I said, Chung is no Rodney Harrison, but he's a much better safety than Steven 200 pounds Gregory. 

[/QUOTE]

Who is Field Yates? Has he covered the Patriots before? More prominent defensive role?!? He has started 5 games this year, all 8 he played in last year and 13 games the year before... Essentially he has been a starting safety on this team when healthy for the last three seasons...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So who is going to take Chungs spot when he gets burned?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Swap one suck for another suck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

not thrilled (putting it nicely).   theyre probably chatting him up and putting him in to try and get some team to cough up something in a trade...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How does the saying go? D@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't? Yeah, that sounds about right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't think either Chung or Gregory suck.  Inconsistent, yes.  Chung was a much better player at some point (although limited in coverage) and I chalk that up to injuries, fair or not.  He is not his usual human missle self.  Gregory has made some good plays but he's also looked bad in coverage at times, which isn't good for a guy whose strength is supposed to be coverage.  He's had all season to learn the D, but at times the mistake seems to be that he lets receivers get behind him, so I wonder if it's more of a S funadamentals thing than actual struggling in the system. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not thrilled (putting it nicely).   theyre probably chatting him up and putting him in to try and get some team to cough up something in a trade...

[/QUOTE]

He's an unrestricted free agent, teams don't work out trades for those

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If healthy Chung is an average SS, yet he has not been healthy for 2 years and when he plays hurt that is likely what makes him an below avg player. h

He has the mindset to get tough in the box and hit hard but really doesn't have that body to do so... he is 2" too short and lacking about 20lbs of muscle when it comes to blowing guys up. He is a smart player with good skills at the ball when he is around the play/WR yet isn't very fast so he is often getting burned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

IMO Chung is a guy they should move on from. Spending big FA money on Byrd or Goldson this offseason could have the same effect on the D as getting Harrison did back in the day.

Harrison was an 'A' player to Milloy's 'B', either of those two FA's would be an A to Chung's C. Additionally Harrison was paired with Eugene Wilson, who brought CB cover skills AND hits in the same way McCourty is doing now (too bad Wilson only did it for 2-3 years then fell off the map). Wilson was an upgrade to the slower, gambling, 'I want the big hit' Tebucky Jones just like DMC is an upgrade to Merriweather.

Round out the secondary with an improving Dennard and signed to a fair deal staying out of trouble Talib as starting CB's... with Tavon Wilson, Gregory, a healthy Ras-I and Arrington as backups and you have the makings of a top 10 secondary, after many years in the bottom 5.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I cannot see Chung back unless his value is so diminished that they can get him for a song.  Injury prone, yes, but a decent fit when healthy.  I would be in favor of an upgrade at S if there is one out there.  I also wouldn't mortgage my future on the health of Ras-I Dowling.  I thought the "injury prone" label coming out of college was unfair.  But the past two years have done nothing to make me feel like he's a long term answer at CB.  Funny thing is, he looked ok when he played.  But the WHEN is a big qualifier. 

Re: Talib and Dennard, I think the future is much brighter at CB if they can keep that tandem together.  And Arrington looked better in the slot. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Does the 10lbs Chung has on Gregory really make that much of a difference when they are both 5'11" and being asked to play SS???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's an unrestricted free agent, teams don't work out trades for those

[/QUOTE]

Talib much... ?  Cept that was before trade deadline... and talib actually has talent, and can stay on the field.

Point is, chungp has lost it, whatever it he used to have is gone.  I seriously think he's out of the league after this season.  Sad that he just doesn't give a sh!t anymore and just goes through the motions to collect a paycheck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Byrd and Goldson are each only 200-205 but its a talent thing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

They're both just average at best players - guys you'd like to have coming off the bench and filling in for a couple of games..unfortunately they're basically our starters. Next year at least one of them will be gone and he won't be missed in the least. I don't care if one of them happens to make a tackle or deflect a pass, I've seen enough to know what they are...not good enough. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's like swapping 2% milk with 1% milk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that guy sitting on the bench waiting his turn

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Chung has been a disappointment this year but you forget when he was blossoming as a playmaker. I think he suffered from lack of pass rush and bad coaching. I thnk he has a good upside. I do not know if we resign him or not but I thnk too many here write players off after a bad stretch. You forget what they have done and what they are capable of.... Sometimes you do have to move on from a player.. It is not uncommon. But I think you are over reacting... as many here very often do....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO Chung is a guy they should move on from. Spending big FA money on Byrd or Goldson this offseason could have the same effect on the D as getting Harrison did back in the day.

Harrison was an 'A' player to Milloy's 'B', either of those two FA's would be an A to Chung's C. Additionally Harrison was paired with Eugene Wilson, who brought CB cover skills AND hits in the same way McCourty is doing now (too bad Wilson only did it for 2-3 years then fell off the map). ....

[/QUOTE]

Not saying signing a big FA safety would be a bad idea, but Harrison was not a big FA signing. SD let him go and most thought he was washed up.  He was a bargain. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Spikes and Denard out tomorrow