Gronk and Hernandez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Gronk and Hernandez

Stats wise they are up some pretty big time veteran TEs

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_TOUCHDOWNS&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2010&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Re: Gronk and Hernandez

Not bad..These guys will never get the numbers that other tight ends get just because they both play on the same team and it is a team with so many weapons that get used every game. You gotta love both of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The way BB overhauled the TEs this year has been great. And finally seeing Crump get some passes may have been one of the best kepot secrets going into the playoffs. Gronk and Hernandez are awesome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

I didn't realize we had over 1000 yds and 16 TD's out of the TE position...  I knew they were good, but didn't realize HOW good.  Wow!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Unbelievable draft at the TE position if you consider that the Pats have been searching for a guy like Gronkowski for years and have drafted guy after guy hoping to find someone of his capabilities (Graham, Watson, Thomas, others).  This guy looks like Ben Coates reincarnated, maybe even better since it took Coates a few years to establish himself.  Out of the gate, persevering after a bad game or two, Gronkowski has brought it every week.  

Hernandez was a steal, plain and simple, and will be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams for years.  Cover him with a LB?  No way.  Only a handful of safties/CB's in the NFL can stay with him. 

These two guys will get better, which is scary. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Our team is STACKED for years to come. If we can get this D to play at a dominant level in the next 2-3 years LOOK OUT!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Anyone notice that Ben Watson has more receptions and yards playing with a lesser QB and worse team than either Gronk or Hernandez.

Heck even Dave Thomas has almost as many as Gronk.

McD never used the TE's and they got way more abuse from the fans than they deserved. I've said many times in the past we never used them and that everyone of our past TE's has had much better numbers after leaving NE.

I might have missed it but i didn't see a single Denver TE listed in that list from the link.

I am so glad we finally decided to use our TE's. Very happy we have the guys we have now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

When Rob strolls into Jonesville in February there will be a little bit of sibling jealousy (although well disguised) in the building methinks!!!

That has to be one proud Dad of that family of athletes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Gronk and Hernandez:
    [QUOTE]Anyone notice that Ben Watson has more receptions and yards playing with a lesser QB and worse team than either Gronk or Hernandez. Heck even Dave Thomas has almost as many as Gronk. McD never used the TE's and they got way more abuse from the fans than they deserved. I've said many times in the past we never used them and that everyone of our past TE's has had much better numbers after leaving NE. I might have missed it but i didn't see a single Denver TE listed in that list from the link. I am so glad we finally decided to use our TE's. Very happy we have the guys we have now.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Good points, I think the way the TE was used in the offense affected the number of balls thrown to Graham, Watson, Thomas et al.  They have all gone on to be productive (receiving) with other teams, especially Watson.  But none, with the exception of Graham, could stone defenders and run block like Gronkowski.  And Graham was a good but not great receiver.  Gronkowski is the full package.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Brady throws really hard, the other guys and Edelman can't handle it.  Good TEs like Hernandez and Gronk have no problems catching it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone notice that Ben Watson has more receptions and yards playing with a lesser QB and worse team than either Gronk or Hernandez. Heck even Dave Thomas has almost as many as Gronk. McD never used the TE's and they got way more abuse from the fans than they deserved. I've said many times in the past we never used them and that everyone of our past TE's has had much better numbers after leaving NE. I might have missed it but i didn't see a single Denver TE listed in that list from the link. I am so glad we finally decided to use our TE's. Very happy we have the guys we have now.

Watson is catching more balls, because he was the only option in the passing attack of the Browns for a while.  Watson was abused by the fans first and foremost because of his droped passes when he did see the ball thrown his way.

I could be wrong, but I remember Thomas having trouble getting on the field while he was in NE.

Anyway, back on point, we have an amazing TE duo in Gronk and Hernandez, who can keep the passing game going for years to come, with at least Gronk being very strong in the blocking game as well (Who knows how Hernandez will do in the department, but I could see him as a Dallas Clark type).

The way I see it, Gronk in a year or 2, could be the equivalent of Gates (big frame, and knows how to use it along with much improved hands), with Hernandez at Clark's level... that's insane for one team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

Watson was never really a great fit in the Pats offense, which requires tight ends who can catch passes.

In all seriousness, I'm happy for him that he's revitalized his career in Cleveland, and I'm even more happy that his departure allowed us to bring on two new TEs who contribute every single week and have lots of room to improve.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]Watson was never really a great fit in the Pats offense, which requires tight ends who can catch passes. In all seriousness, I'm happy for him that he's revitalized his career in Cleveland, and I'm even more happy that his departure allowed us to bring on two new TEs who contribute every single week and have lots of room to improve.
    Posted by PatsFanWilmingtonDE[/QUOTE]

Watson dropped too many "catchable" passes.... It was hard to believe in him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Watson had all the skill in the world and never made it here; he dropped passes, got a yearly injury that would keep him out for stretches and would just disappear from games. I can't understand how he caught 60 balls; must have spent the off season working hard and had some added motivation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Sure BB will be keeping his eyes open for another Gronk and Hernandez in future drafts for a future replacemnt for Crump

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I liked Watson and David Thomas. I wish them both well in their new situations. They are great players but a bad fit for the Pats. Ben Watson will always be a part of Patriot lore running down Champ Bailey in Denver.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

[QUOTE]If I was the dad of the Gronkowski brothers I would open my own sperm bank lol Call it Super Star Sperm Bank lol all im saying is he has what 4? kids in the nfl? Or is it 3 with one more on the way? Either way that guy clearly has some strong swimmers...lol
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]
    Yep....what he said.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]I liked Watson and David Thomas. I wish them both well in their new situations. They are great players but a bad fit for the Pats. Ben Watson will always be a part of Patriot lore running down Champ Bailey in Denver.
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]
    This.  I thought at the time that it was the greatest "desire" play I've ever seen in my life, and that feeling has only grown.  And to this day, you can't convince me that Bailey didn't fumble that ball out of the end zone... should have been Pats ball at the 20.

Possibly my favorite play ever.  And it came as the herald of the end of the dynasty.  Brady red-zone INT, leading to the first Pats playoff loss of the era.  And I can still watch that play on a loop over and over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronk and Hernandez : Yep....what he said.
    Posted by ponyoto[/QUOTE]

Maybe mom was a Valkyrie? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I've always said it was fumbled out of the end zone. When you say watson thats what I think of.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"If Belichack had one do over I'd think he'd have paid Graham the 5M he got from Denver."

I disagree on that.  Graham was a stellar blocker but nothing great as a receiver.  Gronk is already well ahead of him in that regard.  I don't think BB would give a $30 mil contract to a TE unless he was a complete TE that could do it all.  That's why a guy like Gronk was the 2nd TE taken in the draft despite not playing at all his last yr in college.  Strangely enough, the only TE taken before him, Gresham, also missed his whole last yr of college.

We are now seeing though why BB has always held the TE position in such high regard and has used high picks on them.  Lining up multiple TE's gives the offense a freakish amount of flexibility because they help in both the passing game and running game.  There are so many different things you can do even with the same personnel on the field.  You can still go empty backfield and spread out several receivers or bring guys in tight and go with power running formations.  It opens up play action and all kinds of other wrinkles the Pats throw in.  We are seeing how much of a matchup nightmare this is to opposing D's.

I also think BB realized that their base 3 WR offense, featuring Moss, was explosive at times but wasn't necessarily the best offense for this time of yr when weather can be a huge factor. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes, I noticed and frankly I don't understand any of it. If Watson had so much ability and was capable of putting up numbers, then why wasn't he more productive in the Pats offense, when you have Gronk and Hernandez that are? 
    I can't see how it comes down to a discussion of system and player. Watson can catch, probably not as a good as a WR as Hernandez ultimately, and not as good a blocker as Gronk. So, was it just the fact that he wasn't getting open here, was perhaps the 3rd or 4th option, or maybe TB didn't trust him? 

Scratching my head on this one for sure. Belileve me, I would rather have Gronk and Hernandez than Watson regardless of stats because I think these guys are better than Watson in their respective strengths...Hernandez at receiving and YAC and Gronk at blocking. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I'm not dissing Graham in any way and liked him as a player.   I just don't think he was multi-dimensional enough to be worth the contract he got and BB rarely, if ever, overpays for anyoneGraham got a $10 mil signing bonus and then another $5 mil roster bonus his 1st yr so you can't really just say BB would have given him the $5mil/yr he got from Denver.  A big reason Denver went so hard after Graham was the fact his dad played for the Broncos so he grew up around the team and then went on to play at the University of Colorado.  I question whether Denver would give him that deal if they could go back in time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronk and Hernandez : Yes, I noticed and frankly I don't understand any of it. If Watson had so much ability and was capable of putting up numbers, then why wasn't he more productive in the Pats offense, when you have Gronk and Hernandez that are?  I can't see how it comes down to a discussion of system and player. Watson can catch, probably not as a good as a WR as Hernandez ultimately, and not as good a blocker as Gronk. So, was it just the fact that he wasn't getting open here, was perhaps the 3rd or 4th option, or maybe TB didn't trust him?  Scratching my head on this one for sure. Belileve me, I would rather have Gronk and Hernandez than Watson regardless of stats because I think these guys are better than Watson in their respective strengths...Hernandez at receiving and YAC and Gronk at blocking. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you are scratching your head so much. We have not featured a TE in the offense in NE since Ben Coates. I firmly believe it really had nothing to do with the TE talent over the years. Simply choice.

If you recall the season (2006) when we basically had Reche as our #1 the Pats were forced to use Watson more as an option out of necessity. In that season he had over 49 receptions. The next season we had new WRs and he hardly got used again. Players don't suddenly learn how to catch and then suddenly forget and then suddenly learn again.

I don't think you would find anyone to argue for Watson over Gronk and Hernandez. I was simply saying its of absolutely no surprise to me that all the TE's who left here either did or are still playing in the league and having much better production elsewhere.

Bottom line is the Pats offense is doing well and we are all the happier for it.