GRONK

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

GRONK

Listening to the Sirius radio's Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan live at Pats camp today. Pat Kirwan commented several times about the size and speed of Gronkowski. An obvious focal point of our offense is production in the redzone. (Brady talked about this as main focal point) Kirwan went on to see 3 trips into the redzone Brady called for 3 play action passes and all resulted in tds. Gronkowski in 3 plays in a row caught a td zip from Brady, then lined up in the slot and caught a pass and then sealed the edge for a 1st down. Kirwan says this guy looks like a major contributor even though it is this early in camp.

They also had some positive comments on Hernandez saying," He looks like a Kellen Winslow type body"

For what its worth the entire show was very informative and in my opinion Kirwan and Ryan are 2 of the best guys in the business when it comes to talking about football.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: GRONK

I've been saying it and I'll continue to say it.  The new TE's will lead us to the Super Bowl.  Last years Red Zone TD production sucked (see Maroney Thread).  This year it's going through the roof plus they will keep the chains moving late in games another weakness last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

They are the best Sirius NFL channel has, I had it for 2 years, Adam Sheine and the others are morons.  Pat and Tim call it like it is, and they KNOW football.  Funny, I just finished watching the Superbowl 39 DVD from NFL FILMS, and was seeing something we haven't had for a while-  2 recievers and 2 tight ends.  Game after game of Fauria and Graham, Givens and Branch (plus Brown and Patten) catching passes.  Oh, that and Corey Frickin Dillon and Kevin Faulk running kids over.  Our D is young, and will need some gel time.  Its going to take tight ends and MULTIPLE receivers to get the job done on Offense.  I'm glad to hear we have some lined up, and especially if its Tim and Pat saying it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Gronk and Weapon X (Hernandez) will do wonders for the offense if they are utilize right. 

Hernandez can line up as a WR, in the slot, at FB and at TE(Hence the nickname Weapon X). You can keep him in and it could be a passing play or a running play. He makes the once predictable offense harder to guess. 

Gronk on the other hand, Gronk has a chance to be the Dallas Clark of the offense. 

Both will make the offense much better. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: GRONK:
    [QUOTE]They are the best Sirius NFL channel has, I had it for 2 years, Adam Sheine and the others are morons.  Pat and Tim call it like it is, and they KNOW football.  Funny, I just finished watching the Superbowl 39 DVD from NFL FILMS, and was seeing something we haven't had for a while-  2 recievers and 2 tight ends.  Game after game of Fauria and Graham, Givens and Branch (plus Brown and Patten) catching passes.  Oh, that and Corey Frickin Dillon and Kevin Faulk running kids over.  Our D is young, and will need some gel time.  Its going to take tight ends and MULTIPLE receivers to get the job done on Offense.  I'm glad to hear we have some lined up, and especially if its Tim and Pat saying it.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

I miss the good ol days too but the offense didn't exactly light the world on fire back then.  It went something like this:

1st Half:
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Fumble
    TD

2nd Half:
    TD
    Punt
    TD
    FG
    Punt
    Punt
    Knee

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]Gronk and Weapon X (Hernandez) will do wonders for the offense if they are utilize right.  Hernandez can line up as a WR, in the slot, at FB and at TE(Hence the nickname Weapon X). You can keep him in and it could be a passing play or a running play. He makes the once predictable offense harder to guess.  Gronk on the other hand, Gronk has a chance to be the Dallas Clark of the offense.  Both will make the offense much better. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]
    I'd say Gronk would be more of a Jason Witten than a Clark. Personally, I'd rather have a Witten because he's a better blocker. I'm certainly intrigued with Hernandez in the same way you are.

These tight ends certainly seem special. Hopefully they stay healthy and work out the way they're expected to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm still thinking that although we will be contenders this year, 2011-2013 will be our next run.  Some think it may extend to 2015 and I won't argue that.

However, being a contender means that anything can happen in the playoffs.  I love the last 2 drafts and can't even imagine having 4 more picks in the first 2 rounds next year.  

The revamp at the TE position looks real good.  However, as I mentioned in another thread, Chad Jackson has left me with deep psychological scars that now prevent me from ever putting too much weight on any training camp observations.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Watched some stuff on him after the draft ( there wasn't much out there unless you really looked around) what I saw really blew my mind. This guy has everything, but his injury to his back is a major question mark. If he stays healthy he's going to be one of the best at his position, if not then we wasted another second round pick. Looks like we will need him seeing how Holt has looked like he's done and the outside linebacker spot will be just as bad if not worse than last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Yeah, besides mooning about 04, what i was trying to say is, with the big investment (tear down/trade off and rebuild) of the tight end position, and the investments in WR, we now have what we have lacked for a while.  credible passing threats in 6 postions.  Lets be honest, last year it was going to Moss, Welker, or Faulk.  you knew it, i knew it, and the Colts DAMN SURE knew it. We lost that game defensively, but the offense put them in that position.  I think a credible TE and WR upgrade, not to perfect players, but to a time when we did that whole spreading the ball around thing, takes the pressure off our D.  And THAT will make the difference.  Because again, in 04, our D surrendered some stuff.  What with Troy Brown playing Nickle Back, and whatnot.  But the offense got it done, and time after time, it was Fauria, Graham, Brown Givens Branch and Faulk they had to defend, not just 2 or 3 guys.  I think we are back there.  I do.  And the difference will be HUGE.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GRONK : I miss the good ol days too but the offense didn't exactly light the world on fire back then.  It went something like this: 1st Half: Punt Punt Punt Punt Fumble TD 2nd Half: TD Punt TD FG Punt Punt Knee
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]
    No doubt.  Those were great teams, but I think if you had those offensive weapons on the teams of the last few years the result would be the same if not worse.  The current offense will benefit from some short game/ power game weapons, add that to the superior recieving core and the offense will be great.  However, I doubt this defense lives up to those of the dynasty years, they need development time. 

I expect the offense to be slightly better than the defense but I think they can still get it done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I haven't heard one word about Gronk's blocking yet, but the reviews on him catching touchdown passes are getting frequent.  He apparently met Patrick Chung near the goal line today and kept going forward.  I think Gronk now has a starting job in the red zone. 

I had a low opinion on Gronk's year off holding him back, but he seems to be making faster than normal strides forward.  As he gets his NFL pass-blocking ability going, he's going to push Alge Crumpler aside as the starting tight end.  My best guess now is that Gronk and Crumpler get about the same number of offensive plays versus Cincinnati on September 12. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

GRONK!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

That play tonight where he hopped on one leg and DRAGGED James Laurinaitis to the end zone was definitely my second favorite of the preseason after Welker's first reception.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This kid looks like the real deal. I know it's only preseason, but he hasn't faltered yet. Remember, without that back issue, he was a first round talent, and most had him over Gresham before last season. If his back issues are behind him (oh yeah) he looks like a MAJOR second round steal.

Nothing against David Givens, but after Coates, 87 belongs on a TE, and it sure looks good on Gronk!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

He will have to be the REAL DEAL along with Hernandez too for this Pats team to control the ball, score points, and keep our defense OFF the field.  Good to see of course eventhough it's ONLY pre-season, but I'd rather see them out ON the field than other rookies who haven't even sniffed the field yet (ex. Cunningham).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Hey, Who dug this old thread up?

Both Gronk and Hernandez were excellent picks. When this Pats offense becomes Tightend centric it seems to thrive whether its with the power running or getting them involved in the Passing game. I'm hoping that we see tons of that this year.
    Gronk does rule. Long live the Polish Hammer!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I'm buying a Gronk jersey, he is a beast! Gronk and Hernandez will immensely improve our red zone offense. Can't wait to see this kid do it during the regular season. Absolute beast!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, Who dug this old thread up? Both Gronk and Hernandez were excellent picks. When this Pats offense becomes Tightend centric it seems to thrive whether its with the power running or getting them involved in the Passing game. I'm hoping that we see tons of that this year. Gronk does rule. Long live the Polish Hammer!
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

HaHa! I was so hammered last night it took me 20 minutes to find this thread!

Can we replace the word "hammered" with "Gronked"?

The Polish Hammer! Classic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

This looks like one fantastic draft class so far....and we haven't even seen Cunningham yet. Gronk and Hernandez will be huge additions to the offense this season. Looks like Spikes and Devin will be starting right away. So much for the "BB can't draft" theory.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

posted at 7/31/2010 7:07 PM EDT
    First: 1/19/2010
    Last: 8/27/2010

I've been saying it and I'll continue to say it.  The new TE's will lead us to the Super Bowl.  Last years Red Zone TD production sucked (see Maroney Thread).  This year it's going through the roof plus they will keep the chains moving late in games another weakness last year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

The guy is sick.  Just sick.  He just erased Watson's rundown of Champ Bailey from my mind. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Alge Crumpler proved he is still a force, he is the best blocker and he can still catch the ball (hope you saw that sideline catch)  . . . this will let the Pats bring Gronk and Hernandez along at a slower pace and not have them dead tired and hurt at playoff time . . .  remember they have never played 16 game schedules. 
       I see Crumpler getting 2/3 of the plays in the first 3-4 games and by the break he will pretty much split 50-50 with Gronk.  Hernandez is going to see more and more time as a slot receiver, wideout and H-back.  In the red zone Crumpler and Gronk at TEs and Hernandez in the back field as the pass catching back and blocking back . . . they will be tough to stop if the line can give Brady a few seconds!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't heard one word about Gronk's blocking yet, but the reviews on him catching touchdown passes are getting frequent.  He apparently met Patrick Chung near the goal line today and kept going forward.  I think Gronk now has a starting job in the red zone.  I had a low opinion on Gronk's year off holding him back, but he seems to be making faster than normal strides forward.  As he gets his NFL pass-blocking ability going, he's going to push Alge Crumpler aside as the starting tight end.  My best guess now is that Gronk and Crumpler get about the same number of offensive plays versus Cincinnati on September 12. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen in preseason games so far, he's an able blocker.  He made a crushing block on a linebacker last week I think that resulted in a touchdown. I've seen three or four other blocks that he's made that caught my attention. This tight end group is looking impressive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

[QUOTE]This may be the best TE group in the NFL. Funny how they went from arguably the worst to one of the best overnight.  BB.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]
    You got that right bro!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

One of myson's friends goes to the Univerisity of Oregon and comment after the draft that Grondowski was a beast and would drag two defensive player 5 or 10 yds after the catch. We certainly saw him drap theat Ram LB! He is the kind of ballplayer that can help reverse the Patriots fortunes. The guy looks like THE COMPLETE PACKAGE. Our offense should be vastly improved from last year.