Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment

He may not be effective, he may only play a little bit at the beginning, but he will get it done once or twice before forced to the sidelines and rally the troops to an emotional revenge victory. When you know you don't have a lot to give, just like Curt Schilling did, you don't need to pull your punches, you just put it all out there until you can't do it any more. I think we need 2-3 throws at the start of the game and then play it by ear. This will be the Giant's worst nightmare, the wounded warrior is the last thing they want.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment

In Response to Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment:
    He may not be effective, he may only play a little bit at the beginning, but he will get it done once or twice before forced to the sidelines and rally the troops to an emotional revenge victory. When you know you don't have a lot to give, just like Curt Schilling did, you don't need to pull your punches, you just put it all out there until you can't do it any more. I think we need 2-3 throws at the start of the game and then play it by ear. This will be the Giant's worst nightmare, the wounded warrior is the last thing they want.
    Posted by pauldeba

Everyone remember TO in the SB game against Philly?  If he can do it, so can Gronk!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

A better story. How about Kevin Mchale the BlacK Hole, playing with a broken navicular bone in his right foot and playing all the way through the playoffs in '87.

If he can do it. Gronk can play one game with his over hyped sprain.

BTW, Mchale is now HC for the Rockets

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

Sorry - Tight Ends don't have "Willis Reed Moments."

Pitchers?  Yes.
    Basketball Centers?  Yes.
    Quarterback?  Yes.

Tight Ends?  No.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Yep. I  think Gronk will have an impact for good on this game. He's really tough, he's really young, and he's REALLY motivated. He's basically a freak of nature. And though I don't think Pats will do anything stupid to risk further injury, I do think he'll be taped up, shot up (legal pain blocker), and PUMPED up as high as one can get on his own adreline rush. Deadly.

GO PATS! 

MHK

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think we really need Gronk at close to 100%.  He's a huge part of the offense and I'm not sure what we've got to replace him if he's not close to 100%.  This team relies very heavily on just four receivers--Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, and (to a lesser degree) Branch.  Take out one of of the first three listed and the offense is much, much less effective.  

If I thought Gronk weren't going to be able to play, I'd be very worried about our ability to win tomorrow.  That said, I think Gronk is one heck of a tough player and I expect him to be at pretty close to 100% by game time.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In response to "Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment":
    Sorry - Tight Ends don't have "Willis Reed Moments." Pitchers?  Yes. Basketball Centers?  Yes. Quarterback?  Yes. Tight Ends?  No. Posted by Jaxxon
    Kirk Gibson doesn't seem to fit your ridiculous criteria, so clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment:
    I think we really need Gronk at close to 100%.  He's a huge part of the offense and I'm not sure what we've got to replace him if he's not close to 100%.  This team relies very heavily on just four receivers--Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, and (to a lesser degree) Branch.  Take out one of of the first three listed and the offense is much, much less effective.   If I thought Gronk weren't going to be able to play, I'd be very worried about our ability to win tomorrow.  That said, I think Gronk is one heck of a tough player and I expect him to be at pretty close to 100% by game time.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I agree, although they have had two weeks to prepare for a scenario that he won't be able to contribute. Weather it's throwing to backs more, or getting Ocho involved - they had to of prepared for something. I'm hoping a guy like Branch can really benefit from having two weeks off, because his legs were toast for much of the later part of this season...he needs to look as close to the young Branch as possible for us to win. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

In response to "Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment": Kirk Gibson doesn't seem to fit your ridiculous criteria, so clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Posted by pauldeba

The Dodgers didn't "Rally" around Kirk Gibson - he won a game for them at the end (and incredibly clutch, as well).

The Knicks clearly rallied around Willis Reed (who only played 5 minutes) and the Sox clearly rallied around Curt Schilling to take the game and then the series.

A couple passes to Gronk (who is amazing) isn't going to rally the Patriots for 60 minutes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In response to "Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment":
    In Response to Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment : The Dodgers didn't "Rally" around Kirk Gibson - he won a game for them at the end (and incredibly clutch, as well). The Knicks clearly rallied around Willis Reed (who only played 5 minutes) and the Sox clearly rallied around Curt Schilling to take the game and then the series. A couple passes to Gronk (who is amazing) isn't going to rally the Patriots for 60 minutes. Posted by Jaxxon
    You're clueless. What about game 2,3 & 4? His home run didn't impact the players then? You have no idea what you're talking about. One huge pass where Gronk drags a slew of the Blue Jets down the field will do the trick, whether you want to believe it or not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nemeses. Show Nemeses's posts

I say he's ready to play the whole game, but if he's not better than 60% save him for the 2nd half, that way no tightening up of the ankle at halftime.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I don't even think Gronk was hurt that bad. It looked bad but so did the flip he did in the endzone earlier on in the season when it looked like he broke his neck.

This guy super human and he's going for 12 receptions 140 yds and 3 TD's.
    SuperBowl MVP. First TE ever to achieve that honor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

I'm not the biggest BB fan but I will admit that holding out Chung and Spikes until the playoffs ( and to make sure they were completely ready healthwise) was a cold, calculated and brilliant move by Belichick.  How many coaches would have rushed these guys back to salvage regular season wins?  Could be the difference on Sunday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I've heard it said that it takes a village to tackle Rob Gronkowski (and I think that's pretty funny), but even if  he really is hurt, it's still going to take a neighborhood.

Oh . . .   and don't sleep on Ocho.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I will admit that holding out Chung and Spikes until the playoffs ( and to make sure they were completely ready healthwise) was a cold, calculated and brilliant move by Belichick.  How many coaches would have rushed these guys back to salvage regular season wins?  Could be the difference on Sunday.
    Posted by southernpat

The truth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I'm sure the Pats know what they are doing and have taken the long halftime into account for Gronks situation. Hopefully Gronks leg wont tighten up during that break. If you could only have Gronk for one half tomorrow, would you want it to be the first half or the second? Any chance the Pats limit him for the first 30 minutes and hope he can perform at a high level for the second half?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment : May I ask why you aren't a big fan of the greatest coach in the history of the NFL? Seems rather odd. The guy is in his 8th SB as a coach, 5th as a head coach and owns 3 rings.  He's also the best GM of the cap era. The other ingenius move was PUPing Deaderck and Brace. Sure, not superstars, but I'll be damned if the depth hasn't locked down their run D, and seeing it be a big part of how NE can beat NY tomorrow. BB trialed out Haynesworth, hides Brace and Deaderick, and then has fresher legs and health as opposed to last year's thin D Line due to unfortunate injuries with Wright and Brace. He used both the PUP and the PS this year brilliantly. I am surprised we haven't heard how he did it is "cheating" yet. He basically created his own "trade deadline" of sorts internally, by cultivating system guys on the PS and then PUPing two complementary D Linemen he knew he'd need.   Brilliant. Just an absolute textbook display of roster maneuvering.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Not every move he's made has been great.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.  Re-read the post, I stated I wasn't the biggest fan of BB - that would be you and I'm clearly not you.  Having said that - please refrain from questioning my loyalty or faith in the team, I've been around just as long as you and been a fan since birth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In Response to Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment : May I ask why you aren't a big fan of the greatest coach in the history of the NFL? Seems rather odd. The guy is in his 8th SB as a coach, 5th as a head coach and owns 3 rings.  He's also the best GM of the cap era. The other ingenius move was PUPing Deaderck and Brace. Sure, not superstars, but I'll be damned if the depth hasn't locked down their run D, and seeing it be a big part of how NE can beat NY tomorrow. BB trialed out Haynesworth, hides Brace and Deaderick, and then has fresher legs and health as opposed to last year's thin D Line due to unfortunate injuries with Wright and Brace. He used both the PUP and the PS this year brilliantly. I am surprised we haven't heard how he did it is "cheating" yet. He basically created his own "trade deadline" of sorts internally, by cultivating system guys on the PS and then PUPing two complementary D Linemen he knew he'd need.   Brilliant. Just an absolute textbook display of roster maneuvering.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

Outstandoing post, Rusty. You're absolutely right. BB's use of the 6 week PUP period as well as his use of the practice squad were definitally used brilliantly!  Subtle nuances like this often go un-noticed throughout a 16 game season, but the little things are what sets Belichick apart from other coaches. He has done a tremendous job with this team this year, let's hope he can put together a stellar game plan for the biggest stage of the year. If Harbaugh hadn't pulled off such a drastic turn around in SF this year, BB is the "coach-of-the-year" hands down. (IMO he should be anyway, but the voters will show Harbaugh some love...)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

With Gronk in and healthy, Tom Brady has his full hurry-up set of options. 

The Giants will be afraid to substitute.  If the Giants get caught with the nickel players on the field on second and 3, the Pats will run.  If they leave their run-stoppers on the field, the Pats will throw.  Just as bad, the Patriots will test the conditioning of Osi Umeniora and especially Jean Pierre-Paul.  These guys in particular can't explode any more if they can't catch a breath, and that's a big strike against the Giants' defense.  Finally, Gronk knows all the plays cold, and there are an awful lot of plays (usually including some brand new formations too) to confuse the Giants defense.

All of the local buzz says that Gronk has been nothing but bouncing around on that ankle.  The night after the championship he was out partying and he didn't look injured.  He's been in a boot for a while, but everyone who saw him walking a week ago didn't see any trace of a limp.  Finally, he went to two practices in a row, which means the sprain didn't swell up after a workout.  There's a perfectly good possibility that Gronk may come out of this on all cylinders and stay active for the whole game.  BB and the trainers ran 100% precautions for the ankle, and maybe the precautions really worked well. 

This team has had miracle recoveries before.  Wes Welker set a new standard for a model recovery after his ACL/MCL tears. 

BB would never, ever want to give the secret of a full recovery away.  BB wants to see heartbreak on the faces on the Giants players when they've practiced hard for Edelman taking Gronk's place on the field, they've pinned their best hopes on this turn of events, and then Gronk gets out there in perfectly normal shape.  Opposing players experiencing a shortage of hope sometimes don't do so well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

With Gronk in and healthy, Tom Brady has his full hurry-up set of options.  The Giants will be afraid to substitute.  If the Giants get caught with the nickel players on the field on second and 3, the Pats will run.  If they leave their run-stoppers on the field, the Pats will throw.  Just as bad, the Patriots will test the conditioning of Osi Umeniora and especially Jean Pierre-Paul.  These guys in particular can't explode any more if they can't catch a breath, and that's a big strike against the Giants' defense.  Finally, Gronk knows all the plays cold, and there are an awful lot of plays (usually including some brand new formations too) to confuse the Giants defense. All of the local buzz says that Gronk has been nothing but bouncing around on that ankle.  The night after the championship he was out partying and he didn't look injured.  He's been in a boot for a while, but everyone who saw him walking a week ago didn't see any trace of a limp.  Finally, he went to two practices in a row, which means the sprain didn't swell up after a workout.  There's a perfectly good possibility that Gronk may come out of this on all cylinders and stay active for the whole game.  BB and the trainers ran 100% precautions for the ankle, and maybe the precautions really worked well.  This team has had miracle recoveries before.  Wes Welker set a new standard for a model recovery after his ACL/MCL tears.  BB would never, ever want to give the secret of a full recovery away.  BB wants to see heartbreak on the faces on the Giants players when they've practiced hard for Edelman taking Gronk's place on the field, they've pinned their best hopes on this turn of events, and then Gronk gets out there in perfectly normal shape.  Opposing players experiencing a shortage of hope sometimes don't do so well.
    Posted by Paul_K

Have you got any numbers for us Paul?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Note:  BB just brought up a player from the practice squad, and it wasn't a tight end.  The starting job is apparently Gronk's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: Gronkowski gearing up for Willis Reed/Curt Schilling moment : Have you got any numbers for us Paul?
    Posted by Rerun85

I haven't had any new numbers for two weeks.  Certainly nothing on individual players. 

I have Patriots by 2.5 points, not beating the spread.

My feeling is that this could be low. 

-- When the Giants played the Patriots, Albert Haynesworth was coming to a stop on the field on successive plays.  He just didn't feel like playing football. Haynesworth got canned ASAP the next week.  I suspect that the Giants caught a lucky break in that game and the Patriots caught a bad break.  Of course these things influence my numbers.

--The Giants played the Packers six days after the Packers' offensive coordinator lost his 21 year old son to a sudden drowning.  I suspect that the death influenced the whole team, both with a lack of preparation for the game and the whole team carrying a despairing feeling about the death.   In my opinion these emotional things count.  Either the Giants played way above their heads or the Packers were playing lousy, and I suspect the latter.  A similar thing may have happened the week after the Patriots lost Wes Welker to a freak knee injury.  Wes was the heart of the offense at the time.

--Then the Giants got a rainstorm, and the 49ers fumbled the wet ball four times, losing two of the fumbles and the game.  It hardly ever rains in SF.  Maybe it's part bad preparation on SF's part, but the rain in California was also bad luck. 

I always want to dissociate luck from my numbers because luck is not replicable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Marshall Faulk just said that he still feels the high ankle sprain that he suffered...in 2002!!

LOL!!! Gimme a break, hater!

Sections
Shortcuts