Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain

In an interview with WIVB-TV in Western New York, Gordy Gronkowski -- the father of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski -- touched on the excitement of his son preparing for Super Bowl XLVI.

Gordy Gronkowski also noted that his son suffered a high ankle sprain in the AFC Championship Game, but expects him to play in the Super Bowl.

The experience has been memorable for the entire family.

"It's unbelievable. Every week in my life right now, it's just so unbelievable," Gordy Gronkowski tells WIVB-TV. "I wake up every morning, and I can't believe what's happening. I pick up the New York Times, and here Robbie's in the New York Times, hes got a half page in the New York Times. I pick up our paper and Robbie's picture is here and there. I turn on ESPN, he's all over ESPN Sports Center. Every time I turn something on now, he's on, it's just so crazy."

To read the piece and see video of John Murphy's interview WIVB-TV's website, CLICK HERE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain

OOPS not good daddy

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ah man, now BB is going to bench Gordy

But, on a serious note. It is nice to confirm what we all knew that it was a sprain. Now if we only knew the severity lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What I find most amusing about this is that, as Pats fans, we all simply take it for granted that we will get absolutely no pertinent information from the team regarding this and just go on about our business. I suspect we all believe Gronk will play next week (Heaven help us if he can't), but expecting Belichick -- or anyone who works for him to actually say that . . .  well, that's another matter entirely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

First rule of Patriot football is don't tell reporters anything that will be harmful to the team.

Mr. Gronk is probably playing the game of making it sound worse then it is. 

Gronk will be out there on SB Sunday and play like nothing happened. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In Response to Re: Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain:
    [QUOTE]First rule of Patriot football is don't tell reporters anything that will be harmful to the team. Mr. Gronk is probably playing the game of making it sound worse then it is.  Gronk will be out there on SB Sunday and play like nothing happened. 
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Make the Giants have to gameplan for Gronk and no Gronk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

nothing that we didnt already know, its a sprain....it happens. the time off will do nothing but help his recovery and hopefully come feb 5th he is as close to 100% GRONK as possible

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have to report somewhat ominous news.  The Pats added Carson Butler to the practice squad, a familiar face on the practice squad in 2010.  This gives them two tight ends on the squad.  Garrett Mills has also drifted back to the Patriots practice squad after a journey through JAG land.

Maybe they're just covering the bases.  Hard to tell.

Butler is 6'4", 255, as opposed to Garrett Mills, 6'1", 235.  Butler seems to be a Gronk type, without the speed of course.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm pretty sure Gronk could play on a stump for the SB if he had to.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I have to report somewhat ominous news.  The Pats added Carson Butler to the practice squad, a familiar face on the practice squad in 2010.  This gives them two tight ends on the squad.  Garrett Mills has also drifted back to the Patriots practice squad after a journey through JAG land. Maybe they're just covering the bases.  Hard to tell. Butler is 6'4", 255, as opposed to Garrett Mills, 6'1", 235.  Butler seems to be a Gronk type, without the speed of course.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

They wanted Gronk to get as much rest as possible so they needed someone to fill his role in practice. Nothing more I would say. Now if Gronk isn't practicing next Thurs I'd be worried

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain : They wanted Gronk to get as much rest as possible so they needed someone to fill his role in practice. Nothing more I would say. Now if Gronk isn't practicing next Thurs I'd be worried
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

+1

How can they not practice with two TE's considering how often they use them.  That and a good insurance policy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain : They wanted Gronk to get as much rest as possible so they needed someone to fill his role in practice. Nothing more I would say. Now if Gronk isn't practicing next Thurs I'd be worried
    I agree and I'd have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't practice until next Thursday. I got to think he knows the offense enough and he'll of course be in all the meetings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

"It's day to day, it is what it is...."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

big deal, he didn't say anything that we didn't already know... his comments will have zero impact on the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain : I agree and I'd have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't practice until next Thursday. I got to think he knows the offense enough and he'll of course be in all the meetings.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

For the record, high ankle sprains are not ANKLE Sprains at all..  High ankle sprains involve the ligament ABOVE the ankle, the syndesmodic ligament, that BINDS the tibia and fibula, bones above the ankle and below the knee.  The syndesmodic ligament holds the tibia and fibula in a semi fixed relationship (allows slight movement but basically holds the bones in a specific supportive relationship).

The degree to which the syndesmodic ligament is injured relates to the severity of the injury, healing and recovery time.  When the ligament is torn to a degree that the tibia and fibula move too much the injury is severe and would usually require surgery, a stabilizing screw, a cast and 6 months for recovery.

Very slight injury can resolve in as little as two-three days but more severe ligament damage (but with stability of the tibia-fibula relationship) usually require 6 weeks, a cast etc.  Often with injuries with a more favorable prognosis a BOOT may be worn to protect the injured ligament. Of course, ice and progressive exercises are thought to stimulate the healing progress and depend on the injury severity or stage of ligament healing.

The usual signs of swelling, bruising and pain etc are usually less conspicuous than ankle injuries.  An injured syndesmodic ligament causes pain when the ankle is torqued as in rotation in a change of direction movement.

This type of injury should be regarded with more concern than a comparable sprained ankle as far as Gronk is concerned.  It certainly clouds the TE picture for the SB since Gronk will not be 100%.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain : For the record, high ankle sprains are not ANKLE Sprains at all..  High ankle sprains involve the ligament ABOVE the ankle, the syndesmodic ligament, that BINDS the tibia and fibula, bones above the ankle and below the knee.  The syndesmodic ligament holds the tibia and fibula in a semi fixed relationship (allows slight movement but basically holds the bones in a specific supportive relationship). The degree to which the syndesmodic ligament is injured relates to the severity of the injury, healing and recovery time.  When the ligament is torn to a degree that the tibia and fibula move too much the injury is severe and would usually require surgery, a stabilizing screw, a cast and 6 months for recovery. Very slight injury can resolve in as little as two-three days but more severe ligament damage (but with stability of the tibia-fibula relationship) usually require 6 weeks, a cast etc.  Often with injuries with a more favorable prognosis a BOOT may be worn to protect the injured ligament. Of course, ice and progressive exercises are thought to stimulate the healing progress and depend on the injury severity or stage of ligament healing. The usual signs of swelling, bruising and pain etc are usually less conspicuous than ankle injuries.  An injured syndesmodic ligament causes pain when the ankle is torqued as in rotation in a change of direction movement. This type of injury should be regarded with more concern than a comparable sprained ankle as far as Gronk is concerned.  It certainly clouds the TE picture for the SB since Gronk will not be 100%.
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the informative post!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Only a giant wuss like Roethlisburger would b**ch, whine, and miss games for an ankle sprain. And Gronk actually has to use his ankles to cut and block. Gronk will play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

yes, I would say you use this butler guy and maybe even solder to simulate Gronk's presence on the practice field

he will be playing no doubt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevinjake1966. Show kevinjake1966's posts

If Volmer is healthy would they play Solder at TE?  He did play that in college from what I understand.  I'm not suggesting for the whole game, but perhaps in a certain situations. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Maybe he is part of the disinformation. Make them think he has one and throw the jints off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Let's not forget, Gronk came back in later in that BAL game so he can't be that bad.  Also, even if Gronk isn't 100%, he will demand a lot of attention.  We could use him as a decoy if he isn't himself and he'll draw heat off Welker, Hernandez and Branch.  We can use him to clear out an area and if he's open we can still pass it to him.  I'd have him run safe, mostly straight routes, limiting his cuts.  That's what I think if he isn't at least 90%.  Heck send him on a post every time if that's all he can do, he'll still draw a LB underneath and safety over the top.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm not too concerned since he came back out in the Raven's game and seemed so excited about  going to the superbowl. I doubt the team lets him back out there with that type of injury. I think he will be ok, maybe not 100%, but he will be pumped and play. He is young, tough, and excited to be there so I'm sure he will  go out and perform. It's too bad it's a high ankle sprain, but then again the team hasn't confirmed that. For all we know Gronk told his dad to say that so the Giants wouln't know what to expect.

At least I really hope so...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]First rule of Patriot football is don't tell reporters anything that will be harmful to the team. Mr. Gronk is probably playing the game of making it sound worse then it is.  Gronk will be out there on SB Sunday and play like nothing happened.  Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

You give the elder way too much credit. Since the apple never falls far from the tree I'm guessing that the elder doesn't engage brain cells before speaking. There aren't many to engage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]First rule of Patriot football is don't tell reporters anything that will be harmful to the team. Mr. Gronk is probably playing the game of making it sound worse then it is.  Gronk will be out there on SB Sunday and play like nothing happened. 
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

That was my thought also. Do we really think that Gronkowski's dad would a mistake that big with BB looming? I don't suppose it's impossible, but seems unlikely to me. Of all people, Gordy would know "the Patriot way", and I find it hard to believe he'd go off on his own and report something like that to the media before the greatest game of his son's life without considering how it would effect the team. My take? He's not as bad off as reports make it look. But what do I know?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronks dad reports high ankle sprain : That was my thought also. Do we really think that Gronkowski's dad would a mistake that big with BB looming? I don't suppose it's impossible, but seems unlikely to me. Of all people, Gordy would know "the Patriot way", and I find it hard to believe he'd go off on his own and report something like that to the media before the greatest game of his son's life without considering how it would effect the team. My take? He's not as bad off as reports make it look. But what do I know?
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

*the Patriots "in crowd"...lol...calling the team's players dads by first names now.

Is this even news?