Gut feeling here...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Gut feeling here...

ok gut feeling mixed with a healthy understanding of offensive philosophy... I touched on this in a couple other threads but here it is all in one place...

We are witnessing Bill Belichick at his best... he is giving the rest of the NFL the Rope a Dope... he is going to revamp the team into a Power orriented offense wait and see. He will sign a TE that will be a bull dozer maybe Crumpler or someone like that maybe in the draft there are a couple. Then he'll rework the offense further by using the WR's in more of a possesion controll situation... hence bringing in Patton he can help teach just as much as play that role.  He'll strengthen the defense as well but the real meat here is he is going one way while the rest of the NFL is looking at High powered offense going deep all the time instead of the power game that will gring them up like a meat grinder.

Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from InaPatsstateofmind. Show InaPatsstateofmind's posts

Re: Gut feeling here...

yeah great theory...only problem is you need a RB..+ replacements for Kozcur Neal and soon enough Light

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i liked it all,but the patten part.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I know we don't currently have all the parts thats my point its a rope a dope they will emerge post draft having remade their offense into a power offense. There are several backs to be had in the draft that can fix the RB need in this vein and then Vollmer to RT takes care of that and then you either replace Light in the first round or a guard in the second with another of your picks... I know it seems like a lot to get done but in an uncapped year what better time to just blow up and rebuild with out cap ramifications?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It is entirely possible and adding a Walter or Boldin would add that big possession wr to the mix. But that's a lot of pieces being moved in an out. Though the fact that our entire RB core can be replaced, we currently don't have any TE's, a #2 wr is needed, and our starting right side needs to be replaced only supports your notion of him coming in and claiming what he wants while the others fight over the gun slinger type of players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Oh how I would like to see a power offense that can also light it up when needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I just have two questions for you,

1.)Have you ever been right about what Belichick is planning before? 
    2.) What makes you think you are now?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

I think it is wishful thinking on your part. I don't think BB has an edge on others anymore, based on he results the last 5 years. And players are not willing to take less to come here.  Watch the Julius Peppers sweepstakes. Why would he come to NE for less when we haven't won the SB in 5 years.  Moss did that, but it did not work out, and even with the greatest season of all time, he did not get his SB ring.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I hope you are right but it seems the others have caught up to BB and he seems too set in his ways to change. The team has far too many holes to be an elite team and it doesn't seem that they are willing to spend the money necessary to reload and be an elite team again. They should do whilst they have the services of a HOF QB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Gut feeling here...:
    ok gut feeling mixed with a healthy understanding of offensive philosophy... I touched on this in a couple other threads but here it is all in one place... We are witnessing Bill Belichick at his best... he is giving the rest of the NFL the Rope a Dope... he is going to revamp the team into a Power orriented offense wait and see. He will sign a TE that will be a bull dozer maybe Crumpler or someone like that maybe in the draft there are a couple. Then he'll rework the offense further by using the WR's in more of a possesion controll situation... hence bringing in Patton he can help teach just as much as play that role.  He'll strengthen the defense as well but the real meat here is he is going one way while the rest of the NFL is looking at High powered offense going deep all the time instead of the power game that will gring them up like a meat grinder. Thoughts? 
    Posted by DaBlade

So basically sign a guy like Crumpler for real cheap (who is washed up)?  Consider Patten to be an upgrade on offense (even though he didnt play at all in 09-10 after being cut by the Browns).  Rely on the draft for the rest of the pieces and then go in with the same team you started last year minus Welker?  I'll tell you right now if that's the gameplan get ready for an 8-8 season.  The Patriots have to take advantage of this free agent class, they have to bring in something.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think you have too much confidence in BB. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Interesting way to look at it is BB hasn't lost his edge his team got old. It happens. And to have I ever been right about what they are going to do? Yes actually I called the trade for Moss if not first darn close to it, I called Vrabel signing from Pittsburgh and for the most part I have called around 50% accuracy on who the patriots pick in the first 3 rounds over the years but that isn't the issue here Like I said it is a Gut feeling coupled with an understanding of what it would take to change the current offense into a power possesion offense and the moves they have made all point in that direction.

#1. None of their TE's are in that mold so he lets them go or cuts them.
    #2. RB situation is not in that mold so they will have to draft to build in that direction.
    #3. They go out and sign Patten a guy who was a solid possesion WR that is likely not going to make the team but will be at the very least a coach on the field.
    #4. They can fix the holes using Free agency and the draft much quicker this year because of the absence of a cap. 2010 being an uncapped year is a gift to a team like the Patriots. They can cut players regardless of their cap hit because it doesn't exist any more, and they can go sign who they need and front load the contracts so when they come to agreement on a new CBA they can easily fit the players in to the new cap having paid a lot of money out in 2010. 
    #5. Moss is not why we didn't win a superbowl we should have won in 2007 that is obvious but we didn't I get it but nothing to do with Moss, and the Patriots are not a cheap team people get use to hearing that from malcontents and it makes me laugh they always have a couple of the highest paid players at their position. Patriots have the ability unlike many teams to sign who they need but they won't spend stupid money like Snyder might.
    #6. Finally, I don't care if you think it won't happen, It may not I am just stating a gut feeling I have based on what I see and what I know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

ok gut feeling mixed with a healthy understanding of offensive philosophy... I touched on this in a couple other threads but here it is all in one place... We are witnessing Bill Belichick at his best... he is giving the rest of the NFL the Rope a Dope... he is going to revamp the team into a Power orriented offense wait and see. He will sign a TE that will be a bull dozer maybe Crumpler or someone like that maybe in the draft there are a couple. Then he'll rework the offense further by using the WR's in more of a possesion controll situation... hence bringing in Patton he can help teach just as much as play that role.  He'll strengthen the defense as well but the real meat here is he is going one way while the rest of the NFL is looking at High powered offense going deep all the time instead of the power game that will gring them up like a meat grinder. Thoughts? 
    Posted by DaBlade

I will take the Counter-Point to your post and simplify my answer.
    BB is not showing or doing anything. One thing he is showing is that he is lost. Holding onto a running back that is a bust, buying old beaten ones that cant preform, getting rid of his best team leaders, and now taking over almost all the coaching, staff, and gm duties. This in my opinion is a man clearly out of touch and in denial that he is loooooosing his way.
    If I ran my business under the model he is showing us the last 4 years, I would be Bankrupt to the competition.
    I will not slander BB, he has done wonderful things, BUT, that was then and this is now. He needs help and instead of reaching out for it he hordes everything like a Broken Ruler about to lose his kingdom. Brady only has so much time left and if this doesnt get turned around soon, then we go back to the Patriots of old.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Posted by DaBlade

Now I may be wrong 'bout dis here one, but I hear tell that this big ole boy our very own team be after was born right dang here in New Engelahnd, in a sleepy lil town called Bangor, Maine.  When he gots to be tall as the tallest of oaks and wide as the widest ah trains, his parents right then decided that the East was just too plumb small for a man a' his girth.  So now here he's been rangin the midwest for the past many long years and cutting down some prime timberland and hallin it there away with his big ole best friend, his very own Ox dat's as tall as the highest peak you ever did see, I tell you somethin'.  But now guessin' what?  Ain't no timbers left, an' when he steps deh neighboring folk say, "Hey, we already gots ahselves 10,000 lakes from your's first trek up and down these parts, we go's no room for 10,000 more!"  So you ask any old-timer that I ain't one to neitha lie nor stretch a yarn, but word round here, that this big ole boy is Comin' On Home Ta Join The Winning Team ons'e more, I tell you something!      

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'm beginning to think Light will be moved to either RT or RG next season.  Neal is a goner, and the Pats were lucky in that Mankins now has to play 2 more seasons before he becomes an UFA. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

huh?

And Stomper just for the fun of it I am going to take your post point by point:

#1 you said "BB is not showing or doing anything."... my answer to this is why does he have to show anyone what his plan is? he usually make his biggest moves out of the blue.
    #2 you said "One thing he is showing is that he is lost. Holding onto a running back that is a bust, buying old beaten ones that cant preform,"... I am guessing he didn't expect Morris to get hurt that was unfordseen and as for Maroney he was and is young and has shown flashes that led me to believe he could develop but even if he doesn't he is a cheap back up option.
    #3. you said "getting rid of his best team leaders" I am guessing your talking about Seymour who any coach/player personel man/owner not among the living dead would have done that deal for a 2011 1st round pick every day of the week and twice on sunday... seymour is old and though he is a solid player it was an offer they couldn't refuse. The other leaders retired (Bruschi and Harrison) and if you want to include Vrabel I might give you that one but if it took him being included to do the deal I would have done it also.
    #4. you said "and now taking over almost all the coaching, staff, and gm duties"... he was basicly the GM all along Pioli couldn't over rule him on player selection so it isn't an issue to factor, he isn't naming a Coordinator right now due to the infighting difficult situation of having a couple who want the job abd he doesn't want to loose either this year.
    #5. you said... "If I ran my business under the model he is showing us the last 4 years, I would be Bankrupt to the competition." True but the NFL is a unique business that doesn't translate to regular business world.
    I will not slander BB, he has done wonderful things, BUT, that was then and this is now. He needs help and instead of reaching out for it he hordes everything like a Broken Ruler about to lose his kingdom. Brady only has so much time left and if this doesnt get turned around soon, then we go back to the Patriots of old.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by DaBlade

That would be a great plan and something that would definately be doable. There's several bruiser RBs available that would be key to building that type of offense; dwyer, best, matthews, dixon or gerhart. They'd need to upgrade OG and/or OT as well. There's 7 or 8 available in the top 50.  Likewise upgrade TE via FA. That's three picks and one FA, leaving the rest of our picks can go for defense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

In Response to Re: Gut feeling here...:
    In Response to Gut feeling here... : Now I may be wrong 'bout dis here one, but I hear tell that this big ole boy our very own team be after was born right dang here in New Engelahnd, in a sleepy lil town called Bangor, Maine.  When he gots to be tall as the tallest of oaks and wide as the widest ah trains, his parents right then decided that the East was just too plumb small for a man a' his girth.  So now here he's been rangin the midwest for the past many long years and cutting down some prime timberland and hallin it there away with his big ole best friend, his very own Ox dat's as tall as the highest peak you ever did see, I tell you somethin'.  But now guessin' what?  Ain't no timbers left, an' when he steps deh neighboring folk say, "Hey, we already gots ahselves 10,000 lakes from your's first trek up and down these parts, we go's no room for 10,000 more!"  So you ask any old-timer that I ain't one to neitha lie nor stretch a yarn, but word round here, that this big ole boy is Comin' On Home Ta Join The Winning Team ons'e more, I tell you something!      
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

What?

First of all it was very hard to read, but still when I got to the end I didn't get a clue of what you are talking about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"First of all it was very hard to read, but still when I got to the end I didn't get a clue of what you are talking about."

Rule #1:  Show DON'T Tell

~I expect a certain level of suspension of disbelief in my reader.  I can't basically go explaining myself by saying, "Nice story there Dablade...And even though I respect your optimism and fanciful dreams on how Belichick's playing this free agency period out, allow me to impart you my own tall tale, This one's about a man named Paul Bunyan.  He was a lumberjack who had a blue ox as a best friend.  Also, I'm going to try to make my OWN tall tale somewhat relevant to free agency as I try to 1-up your version with fictional fancy, and all the while not be overly specific enough to give it all away and make it too obvious...ready, here we g-..oops too late, I blew it."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

In Response to Re: Gut feeling here...:
    " First of all it was very hard to read, but still when I got to the end I didn't get a clue of what you are talking about ."   Rule #1:  Show DON'T Tell ~I expect a certain level of suspension of disbelief in my reader.  I can't basically go explaining myself by saying, "Nice story there Dablade...And even though I respect your optimism and fanciful dreams on how Belichick's playing this free agency period out, allow me to impart you my own tall tale, This one's about a man named Paul Bunyan.  He was a lumberjack who had a blue ox as a best friend.  Also, I'm going to try to make my OWN tall tale somewhat relevant to free agency as I try to 1-up your version with fictional fancy, and all the while not be overly specific enough to give it all away and make it too obvious...ready, here we g-..oops too late, I blew it."
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Yeah, you don't have to explain it like that. I got it now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

If all this team does is fix the offensive line they'll be better than last year. If they can sign big Vince and keep Bodden than this is a good team. Brady looked great last year when he had time to throw; I would have like him to throw balls away he threw INTs on but this team has not fallen as far as the chicken-littles are making. BB is still a great coach but he can't rush a passer. They spent a lot of money on Colvin and Thomas and they'll pony up again. If there are truly great players available in FA or the draft they will spend the money.

Everything changes in a year in this league.

Sections
Shortcuts