Gut prediction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Gut prediction

Surprise cut (to many here) this summer.....Armstead...

I simply think his hype will not have been worth it and there is a numbers crunch on the DL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Re: Gut prediction

And I thought this was going to be about the size of VW's waistline by Training Camp time.

But, it would not surprise me if Armstead never sees the field in a Pats uniform.  I'm also not that confident all of Kelly, Wilfork and Easley make it through the season without major injuries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

And I thought this was going to be about the size of VW's waistline by Training Camp time.

But, it would not surprise me if Armstead never sees the field in a Pats uniform.  I'm also not that confident all of Kelly, Wilfork and Easley make it through the season without major injuries.

That's why players such as Sil, Jones and Vellano may be more appealing than Armstead. If one of the top 3 goes down these other guys get on, and stay on the field...Armstead hasn't, can't. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Interesting.  Hope your gut is leading you astray but wouldn't be horribly surprised if you were correct.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I hope you're wrong but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you're right.  He has shown absolutely nothing to this point and he's clearly running out of time to get healthy and make an impact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Easley will not be on the field at the start of the season and either Kelly or Wilfork will not be there at the end of the season.  Armstead will have to earn his stripes and one thing is for sure BB will not just give him the position.  I hope the kid makes the team but that is why we have 90 guys on the roster at the start . . . health, ability and effort all count on who stays and who goes.

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Easley will not be on the field at the start of the season and either Kelly or Wilfork will not be there at the end of the season.  

And you base this declaratory, definitive comment based on what exactly...?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I simply think his hype will not have been worth it and there is a numbers crunch on the DL

This is an excerpt from this week's "Mail Bag"...

Q, Hi, I have a question about defensive tackle Armond Armstead. I'm hoping for big things from him this season, or at the very least I'm hoping to see him in uniform on the field. But you reported that he was "limited in his work" in OTAs. Is he still hurt? How could that be? Or am I reading too much into this? -- Chris (Arlington, Virginia)

A. Chris, it could be a few things with Armstead at this time. It's possible that he was fully cleared and then just tweaked something at some point. Or they are working him slowly back to top condition after he missed all of last season. My educated guess would be the latter.

I'm more inclined to go with Reiss' thinking here.  I think they are bringing him in slowly and I expect that he will finally find himself in a Patriots' uniform and be competing for a spot during the pre-season.  Of course, that does not necessarily mean that he is goig to make the final cut, but I figure he still has a chance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Easley will not be on the field at the start of the season and either Kelly or Wilfork will not be there at the end of the season. Armstead will have to earn his stripes and one thing is for sure BB will not just give him the position. I hope the kid makes the team but that is why we have 90 guys on the roster at the start . . . health, ability and effort all count on who stays and who goes.

Before 2013, Tommy Kelly played in all 16 games each of the previous 5 seasons, and in 7 of his 9 in the league.

Vince also played in all 16 games in 7 of his 9 seasons in the league (missing 3 games apiece in '06 and '09).

These guys have both proven to be as durable as any D lineman in the league over their careers and there's no reason to suspect that should change based on 1 season. They'll be 33 and 34 at the end of the season, which is older but hardly ancient, even by NFL standards.

Football is a violent game, and anything can happen, but there's no real reason to believe these two are any more likely to suffer a season ending injury than any other player on the roster. Unless BB goes back to playing VW on 80+% of the defensive snaps, as he did in 2011/2012.

Back on topic... I'd actually be more surprised if Armstead DID suit up for the Pats than if he didn't. He just has that feeling of unproven, overhyped (on this board, anyway) pickup who didn't get in the mix right away, and is then cut loose (think Jeff Demps or Mark Harrison)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Why do people automatically assume that because somebody sustained a major injury (torn acl, achilles, etc.) that they are more prone to injuring it again?  I'm more inclined to think that players who suffer concussions repeatedly, have pulled muscles, etc. are more injury prone.  Wilfork has had one major injury in his career and has otherwise played entire seasons for 10 years now.  Kelly has had 2 major injuries in his 10 year career and has otherwise played in every game.

I get the concern for Easley considering he had 2 acl injuries in his college career, but with advances in physical therapy and surgery, people come back stronger after acl injuries. I think it's more of bad luck than a player being "injury prone" when they sustain these injuries.

Regardless, here's to hoping we see a reasonable healthy season from all players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

Before 2013, Tommy Kelly played in all 16 games each of the previous 5 seasons, and in 7 of his 9 in the league.

Vince also played in all 16 games in 7 of his 9 seasons in the league (missing 3 games apiece in '06 and '09).

These guys have both proven to be as durable as any D lineman in the league over their careers and there's no reason to suspect that should change based on 1 season. They'll be 33 and 34 at the end of the season, which is older but hardly ancient, even by NFL standards.

Football is a violent game, and anything can happen, but there's no real reason to believe these two are any more likely to suffer a season ending injury than any other player on the roster. Unless BB goes back to playing VW on 80+% of the defensive snaps, as he did in 2011/2012.

Back on topic... I'd actually be more surprised if Armstead DID suit up for the Pats than if he didn't. He just has that feeling of unproven, overhyped (on this board, anyway) pickup who didn't get in the mix right away, and is then cut loose (think Jeff Demps or Mark Harrison)

hahaha nicely put!  I just missed the posting cut by 2 minutes :/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I think BB will have a little more patience with AA since that's BB's guy. I also don't think both Chris Jones and Joey Vellano make the roster (one not both). How many undersized DL's do we need?

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

I think BB will have a little more patience with AA since that's BB's guy. I also don't think both Chris Jones and Joey Vellano make the roster (one not both). How many undersized DL's do we need?

How is Armstead any more "BB's guy" than every other player on the roster?

Between Jones and Vellano, I hope neither makes the roster, but I'd lean to Jones.  Both were dreadful against the run, which is the #1 attribute I look for in a DT, but at least Jones showed a little pass rush ability.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Won't be much of a surprise at all, very, very few of these Canadian transplants make it in the NFL. Add in his heart condition and his mystery illness and he's odds on a cut far more than he makes the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

How is Armstead any more "BB's guy" than every other player on the roster?

Between Jones and Vellano, I hope neither makes the roster, but I'd lean to Jones.  Both were dreadful against the run, which is the #1 attribute I look for in a DT, but at least Jones showed a little pass rush ability.

[object HTMLDivElement]

That's just it with Jones though -- he should be playing more on passing downs than on 1st or 2nd down but played more because they needed bodies.  He could be a nice player and a good niche pass rusher.  I think Vellano is likely gone unless there are injuries. 

I think Armstead is here through training camp at the very least.  He gets his chance to prove his health and ability I'm guessing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Tough to get a handle on Armstead. I'd read where Reiss mentioned a few times that the Pats were counting on him to be in their top three DT rotation last year. I'd also posted in another thread a few days ago about what Cyncal posted here concerning whether AA had been 100% cleared by doctors or if the Pats were just being extra cautious with him. 
    It's still about 7 weeks before training camp and maybe this will be cleared up a little by then (with the Pats secrecy it may not be though). BB has kept Jake Bequette on the team for two years so I'm guessing that if he sees any potential in Armstead he'll try to keep him. Maybe another IR year if things aren't 100% medically?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Won't be a shocker to me.  Pretty much what I said in the OTA thread.

Re: OTA's
    posted at 5/31/2014 3:40 PM EDT

tcal2-
    First: 12/17/2010
    Last: 6/4/2014
    A 23 year old who missed an entire year, is limited? What a freaking joke. He should be running around the field with a 65 Nova strapped to his back. I won't be shocked to see this guy get cut soon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'll go with Armstead getting healthy fast. 

For D-linemen not making the team, I'll start with Chris Jones and Will Smith.  Then Bequette, Buchanan, Forston and Moore.

Armstead plays while Vince Wilfork goes on PUP for 6 weeks and maybe Easley too. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Why do people automatically assume that because somebody sustained a major injury (torn acl, achilles, etc.) that they are more prone to injuring it again?  I'm more inclined to think that players who suffer concussions repeatedly, have pulled muscles, etc. are more injury prone.  Wilfork has had one major injury in his career and has otherwise played entire seasons for 10 years now.  Kelly has had 2 major injuries in his 10 year career and has otherwise played in every game.

I get the concern for Easley considering he had 2 acl injuries in his college career, but with advances in physical therapy and surgery, people come back stronger after acl injuries. I think it's more of bad luck than a player being "injury prone" when they sustain these injuries.

Regardless, here's to hoping we see a reasonable healthy season from all players.

I hope they don't have problems, I really do.  But at their age, to miss that much of a season with those kinds of severe injuries, and then be expected to be rehabbed and counted on as a starter to anchor that DL?  I'm just not optimistic about relying on that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:

Easley will not be on the field at the start of the season and either Kelly or Wilfork will not be there at the end of the season.  

[object HTMLDivElement]

Isn't this post . .  . "Gut prediction?"  Easley is coming off knee surgery so why would the Pat be interesting in getting him out there too so?  Kelly and Vince . . . easy age . . . the odds are that both cannot go through 16 games at their age w/o getting hurt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Who??

Can't feel any emotion one way or another over a guy I've never seen take a snap in a Pats Uni. I will be more upset to see Steve Beauharnais' release........

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Isn't this post . .  . "Gut prediction?"  Easley is coming off knee surgery so why would the Pat be interesting in getting him out there too so?  Kelly and Vince . . . easy age . . . the odds are that both cannot go through 16 games at their age w/o getting hurt.

Truth be told the odds are that no one on the Pats will make it through the season w/o getting hurt.  So that puts Vince and Kelly in good company.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I'm sure they spoke to Williams this week because they don't have full faith Kelly , VW and/or "YETI" Armstead will be ready for the season , if at all.

Can't make the club from the tub.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Dobson doesn't play until November. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

I'm sure they spoke to Williams this week because they don't have full faith Kelly , VW and/or "YETI" Armstead will be ready for the season , if at all.

Can't make the club from the tub.

I like that!

Sections
Shortcuts