Hail Mary vs. FG try

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Hail Mary vs. FG try

Since they said Gostowski was hitting them from 60+ yards out before the game with the same wind; why didn't BB give him a shot to win the game?
    Reminded me of the superbowl when he din't give him a chance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Hail Mary vs. FG try

As I was watching the game, this same exact question occured to me. I couldn't think of any downside to trying the field goal, unless maybe there was concern that it might be blocked and returned, which seems even more unlikely than completing a Hail Mary.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

62 yards is a low probability shot.  With four seconds left on the clock, I would have put Welker wide and he would run a quickie out pattern.  The defense will be 15 yards deep, guarding the goal line.  Brady stands up and throws reflexively.  Welker takes one step forward and gets the ball as he slants out of bounds.  Three seconds elapse.  Then Ghost tries a 58 yarder, still a pretty narrow target to hit but not too bad for Ghost with the wind at his back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think the point is that the hail mary is a VERY low probability shot, so pick the one that gives you a better shot. I thought they should've tried a kick, but there were probably other reasons they didn't give Gostowski a shot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Maybe the guy with five Super Bowl rings knows what he is doing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

A "Hail Mary" is a higher percentage shot in modern NFL rules because the half cannot end on a defensive penalty. 

You need to add the completion percentage on such a play to the percentage of times you can draw a PI call -- and I am sure the players are trying to draw one.

In that case, it is certainly a better shot than a 65+ yard field goal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dodie2g. Show dodie2g's posts

IMO it was because long FG has more probability to be block, and with the wind behind the ball that increases it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: Hail Mary vs. FG try:
    IMO it was because long FG has more probability to be block, and with the wind behind the ball that increases it
    Posted by dodie2g

so what if it were blocked? Time would have expired - yes?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Hail Mary vs. FG try : so what if it were blocked? Time would have expired - yes?
    Posted by PatFanInBA2

The answer to the 'so what' question is another question:  What happened when the Pats blocked Miami's attempted field goal? Answer: touchdown Pats.  I thought when they lined up for the Hail Mary that was most likely BB's thinking.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dodie2g. Show dodie2g's posts

In Response to Re: Hail Mary vs. FG try : so what if it were blocked? Time would have expired - yes?
    Posted by PatFanInBA2

you'll never know man, there's a possibility that Ravens might run it into their end zone, Hail Mary is the safest play, I think BB thought of it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

It would seem that BB wasn't looking at the "Best Case Scenario" in that situation, He was Looking at the "Worst Case scenario". The Rationale for this decision , Per Scott Zolak is that on a 62 YD field goal the trajectory of the kick has to be Very low. I.E. Right over the centers helmet having a much higher probability of being blocked which would have been disaster in that situation. On the other hand with the hail mary pass the worst thing that can happen is the pick in the end zone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Posted by PatFanInBA2

Blocked field goals can be returned for TD's as we did against Miami. Pretty Conservative decision but that's what he was thinking at the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Posted by PatFanInBA2

Yeah, but the fear is that the defense recovers the blocked field goal and returns it for a touchdown on the kicking play.  The big risk with a blocked field goal is that it's usually recovered in the backfield and there's a good chance it will be returned for a score.  This is especially true because the kicking team is mostly big blockers, while the defending team has more speed guys on the field. 

Also, the rules allow a missed field goal that stays inbounds (which is quite possible when the field goal attempt is 60+ yards) to be returned like a kick-off. So there's a lot of risk of a return for touchdown either through the blocked field goal or a missed field goal that stays inbounds.  

The defense returning an intercepted hail mary pass is much harder because the offense has got a whole bunch of its guys in the end zone with the intercepting defender, so an immediate tackle is likely. 

I don't know the odds of completing a hail mary versus the odds of connecting on a 60+ yard field goal, but I suspect the odds favor the hail mary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I was saying kick the field goal but have 1 guy back behind the kicker just in case they blocked it. Would have been better IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

While watching the game I thought a FG was more likely but Mike Reiss contradicted the OP who said Ghost was making them from 60+ before the game.  Reiss said it was a bit of a cross-wind and Ghost maxed out at about 53 yds before the game going that way.  If that's the case, it was the right decision.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Either of these plays is low percentage.  The least risky move is the hail Mary.  If it is intercepted, usually the play is dead.  There is a chance for a defensive interference.  A field goal try is low percentage.  The wind was going to be a factor.  A bad snap or block could lead to disaster. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

My question was where was Gronkowski on the play?.  He's their tallest guy but was not seen running toward the end zone. 

I think the blocked kick return is not a real risk if everyone on the field is told to get their butts moving in the defensive direction once they complete their blocks. 

I have never seen interfercence called on a last second hail Mary, I see it happen every time but they do not call it in that situation. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

62 yard FG you kick it and if you miss they have a shot at returning it with your FG unit on the field. Thats pretty bad and its not low percentage I think we forget at times players can return the ball if caught and the longest of Space Ghosts career is like 50 something. 

I doubt he would have even MADE 62 or come close to it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

ever notice the refs don't call pass interference on the hail mary play. Usually there's 8 guys clutching, grabbing, pushing (sounds likes a Baltimore gay bar).lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

ever notice the refs don't call pass interference on the hail mary play. Usually there's 8 guys clutching, grabbing, pushing ( sounds likes a Baltimore gay bar).lol
    Posted by harleyroadking

It worked for the Jets last weekend but the interference was so blatant it couldn't be ignored. Defensive coaches have been beating the same thing into their player's heads for decades. On a hail mary the two things you never do is grab somebody before the ball comes down and don't try to catch the ball. You're supposed to go up and slap it to the ground or out of bounds. They never call interference when everyone is up in the air trying to occupy the same space but you have to wait until it's almost there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

with a hailmary, brady can lob it into the end zone and there are going to be three outcomes

touchdown, pats win
    pass interference pats win(the game cant end on a defensive penalty, spot of the foul puts the ball at the 1 yard line, field goal)
    interception in the end zone with alot of players which means no run back overtime.

if Gost goes for the 60 yard field goal and comes up say 5 yards short you have a return situation which could result in a fg return for a td.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

I was saying kick the field goal but have 1 guy back behind the kicker just in case they blocked it. Would have been better IMO.
    Posted by MuellerTime19

that would almost insure a block.  that's makes 8 guys defending with 11 rushing the ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's a good thing Kraft hired a professional to manage the football team rather than leaving it up to the fans. 

Sections
Shortcuts