Hall's Re-Signing - Impact on Talib?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Hall's Re-Signing - Impact on Talib?

Well I'm not an expert on Washington's team, but they had 25 million available in cap space before they did Hall's contract. They could easliy go after Talib. We on the other hand are 7-8 million under the cap...need a safety, need a guard, need a receiver, need a corner, need a tight end, and need two defensive tackles.

So we have some needs and don't have cap space, now that all will change once we cut Vince, Kelly, Connoly, Gregory, etc...but that's still only going to put us at around 15 million under. If we resign Talib his cap number will eat up a big chunk of that.

I think Talib is a very good player when he's healthy, the problem is he is never healthy.  I've never seen a guy go down in two AFC title games in a row, but Talib did, and as far as I know neither injury required off season surgery.

I'm not going to cry if he's not brought back - I will cry if they however don't replace him with one of the upper level corners available. I imagine they have a rather huge plan B in place for Talib at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

I'd guess Connolly more likely to stay; Wendell more likely to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I take a look at it this way, even though Hall doesn't have Talib's ability when Talib is 100% they average out because Hall has been more durable over more games where as Talib has been 100% in maybe half his games in his career. So, I would say that they are very comparable players, Talib more talented but larger risk of getting hurt and Hall not as talented but much more durable in the last 4 years. So while Was was a possible landing spot for Talib I just didn't see them taking on that kind of risk of injury. However, that contract should looked at as the ceiling for what Talib should be able to get (a reported 4yr averaging $5mil per year). I'm thinking because of lack of suitors Talib might get something a little less. Something between Hall's and Arrington's deal in the range of 3 yrs given his off field concerns and inability to stay healthy over a season. If they resign him I would look to add a spot starter who could play inside or out and moving Arrington to a full time dime player and try him out as a backup S where imo he would do well, playing the box and short coverage situations

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The Washington Redskins agreed to a four-year contract extension with soon-to-be-free-agent cornerback DeAngelo Hall on Tuesday, which could eliminate a significant suitor for Patriots free-agent-to-be cornerback Aqib Talib

Hall

Talib Talib

As the Washington Post reminded us, the Redskins pursued Talib in free agency last offseason before Talib re-signed with the Patriots. 

One of the reasons the Redskins were an attractive destination to Talib is the presence of his former coach in Tampa Bay, Raheem Morris, who serves as Washington's defensive backs coach. The two remain close. 

It's still possible that the Redskins could make a play for Talib, but with Hall's extension reportedly set to pay him about $4 million per season, and other needs to address, it wouldn't come as a surprise if they aren't as aggressive in their pursuit of Talib as they were last year. 

Talib earned $5 million on a one-year deal in 2013 and figures to be north of that on any deal he signs this offseason. The Patriots are interested in bringing him back, but as is always the case, the club will set a limit on how much it can extend itself. 

"It's not like we have unlimited funding,” owner Robert Kraft told the "Felger & Mazz" show on 98.5 The Sports Hub at the Super Bowl. “[Talib] wasn't on the field a lot of the time since he's been with us. It's a balance, of us balancing all that out and what is he worth. I think he's happy here and would like to be here. We're happy with him and we'd like to have him here. Now it's just about doing business, and that's our intent.”"

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4759063/deangelo-hall-impact-with-aqib-talib

I would say that our odds of re-signing Talib was already pretty small.  Now with Hall's re-signing - it would take a lot of creative restructuring of contracts or Talib taking a large discount to stay with the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

What scares me about Talib is not his off-field past or his abilities. It's his ability to stay healthy. Once a player suffers a hip injury, that's a major red flag. Let the buyer beware.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This is a prime example of how teams just sign players to appease the fanbase. Im sure there are mixed feelings towards him(hall) but most fans know his MO. Will make plays and get you fumbles but will also give up plays but does compete. If this guy is getting a 4 year deal at his age at 4 to 5 million, you can expect Talib to want twice that. He already gave us a discount playing at 5 million last year. He is gonna want 8 mill/year in a 4/32 deal with atleast 12 garuanteed.

The thing is he Is worth is if he gets his Hip fixed. Free Safeties are getting 8 million a year. Talib asking for 8 million is actually a discount when you look at it that way.

So MY question is Do you pay 8 mill/year for a big, shutdown CB, or pay 8 mill/year to a smaller converted  CB/safety who is overated and hamstrung in this Defense??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

This is a prime example of how teams just sign players to appease the fanbase. Im sure there are mixed feelings towards him(hall) but most fans know his MO. Will make plays and get you fumbles but will also give up plays but does compete. If this guy is getting a 4 year deal at his age at 4 to 5 million, you can expect Talib to want twice that. He already gave us a discount playing at 5 million last year. He is gonna want 8 mill/year in a 4/32 deal with atleast 12 garuanteed.

The thing is he Is worth is if he gets his Hip fixed. Free Safeties are getting 8 million a year. Talib asking for 8 million is actually a discount when you look at it that way.

So MY question is Do you pay 8 mill/year for a big, shutdown CB, or pay 8 mill/year to a smaller converted  CB/safety who is overated and hamstrung in this Defense??

I don't think it was a discount as much as no one offered him more. It's hard to say he gave a discount when the alternative might have been to take less money or sit at home.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"I imagine they have a rather huge plan B in place for Talib at this point."

What I've been learning over the past 10 years is that BB doesn't have a plan B in general.  Like last year he blows his wad on 3 rook WRs.   

Now remember BB also had no Plan B if GRONK went down, he had what a couple of  "Blocking TE's" on the roster......sweet.

Now come Play-off time we have 3 failed WR's and no TE capable of catching the ball.  What's BB plan B?  His game plan is to run the Ball (which gets stuffed and fails miserably)  when that failed his only other option was to throw to a couple of undersized Slot guys.  Hardly the stuff success if made of.

Yet there's some, thigh drippage 30 year old troll running around trying to blame Brady in 300+ posts a day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once the restructures, cuts and extensions kick in, NE will be 20-25 million under before the draft in a very good shape.

The Skins need to rebuild an entire roster.  They lost Cooley and Fred Davis in back to seasons at TE, their D Line is old, Carriker was a bust and gone, Orapko is probably gone and London FLetcher is retired. Ouch.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, and considering the skins went 3-13 and we went 12- 4 I guess murtls comparison of the 2 teams needs is a little off. We don't need much, they need almost everything, and we will have around 20 million in cap room after normal extensions and normal cuts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Look at the 2 homers lashing out...lol

Talib played for 5 million. Arrington played for 4 million. Thats called Talib giving US a discount. He didnt care because he knew he would have a good year and get paid and lo and behold....Kraft is already making excuses not to sign him.

You guys should just use the same handle. You are one in the same now. Poor truechump has noone else to align with....

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

BB has a number in mind for Talib and he won't budge from it. He could give a rats azz what others pay for their players nor does it influence what he pays for his.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Talib played for 5 million. Arrington played for 4 million. Thats called Talib giving US a discount. He didnt care because he knew he would have a good year and get paid and lo and behold....Kraft is already making excuses not to sign him.

You guys should just use the same handle. You are one in the same now. Poor truechump has noone else to align with....

[/QUOTE]

Wait are you serious? You think Kraft is cheap? You think Talib is took a discount on a 1 year prove it deal? You think Im lashing out by saying the Pats are in perfect position to have around 20 million in cap room, 27 million in stud players returning from IR and returning a team that was 12-4 last year?  what part am I wrong about? 

I mean you are the guy who predicted Tom Brady would be Tom Brady back in training camp of 2000, so I value your opinion...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Whats the records between Redskins and Pats last 10 years? If Skins sign Talib, its probably means its a good thing for the Pats.
    Their Record for signing Free Agents is almost laughable. In fact it is. hahahaha

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Triple just because Arrington was way over paid doesn't mean Talib took a discount. There were a lot of good CB's who took 1 year deals for about what Talib took. That was the market. Just because Arrington tricked BB into giving him a contract way over what he's worth doesn't mean everyone in the league was like, wow I guess that's the market now. Talib took what he could get dollar wise on a prove it deal simply because no other team offering him anything better. If someone offered him 3/21 with 10 guaranteed he was gone. I mean you don't go to a store and buy a 16 oz drink for it's regular price of $1 and say wow, what a discount I got. That person over there just paid $.90 out of a vending machine for a 12oz can. No you say that idiot just paid $.90 for 12oz when he could have walked 10' and got 16 for a $1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I take a look at it this way, even though Hall doesn't have Talib's ability when Talib is 100% they average out because Hall has been more durable over more games where as Talib has been 100% in maybe half his games in his career. So, I would say that they are very comparable players, Talib more talented but larger risk of getting hurt and Hall not as talented but much more durable in the last 4 years. So while Was was a possible landing spot for Talib I just didn't see them taking on that kind of risk of injury. However, that contract should looked at as the ceiling for what Talib should be able to get (a reported 4yr averaging $5mil per year). I'm thinking because of lack of suitors Talib might get something a little less. Something between Hall's and Arrington's deal in the range of 3 yrs given his off field concerns and inability to stay healthy over a season. If they resign him I would look to add a spot starter who could play inside or out and moving Arrington to a full time dime player and try him out as a backup S where imo he would do well, playing the box and short coverage situations

[/QUOTE]

Well, free agency starts on 3/11/14? - so, how did you come to the conclusion that there is tepid interest in Talib?

[/QUOTE]

Because there was tepid interest last year and his hip certain hasn't help drum up any. He's still the same risk player he was last year, with more CB's this year so I'm guessing it will be tepid like it was last year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, it's not.  Talib had major character issues coming to NE and injury issues. Arrington is durable, plays hurt and is a very good nickel, which is vital to have on your team.

Again, the key, if I am Talib, I am looking for security and years, not some highest figure because I am the perceived best CB on the market.

It's comical to me that you like to mock me and others but you don't understand markets very well.

Moron Snyder or another dumb GM's approach to a CB on the market does not set the market.

Talib is in the 6-7 mil per pocket. The key is how to structure it and the years.

The only BB flinched with bloated market deals was Mankie in 2010 when Evans got 8 million and Mankie got his panties in a wad like a baby.

That was a mistake by BB.  

[/QUOTE]

Can I frame this quote?

Ive said what I had to say in regards to Talib. I agree CBs didnt make much money last year but there were no great names outside of Revis coming off an injury. If CBs were being had cheap, why did we pay Arrington one mill less than Talib? You guys want to act like you speak w/every G.M. in the league, thats fine. I dont. I go buy the market. Like I said...if the FS position is getting up to 8 mill/year than dont expect Talib to be lower than that. I will wait and see. If I am wrong, I will admit..... Will You?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, it's not.  Talib had major character issues coming to NE and injury issues. Arrington is durable, plays hurt and is a very good nickel, which is vital to have on your team.

Again, the key, if I am Talib, I am looking for security and years, not some highest figure because I am the perceived best CB on the market.

It's comical to me that you like to mock me and others but you don't understand markets very well.

Moron Snyder or another dumb GM's approach to a CB on the market does not set the market.

Talib is in the 6-7 mil per pocket. The key is how to structure it and the years.

The only BB flinched with bloated market deals was Mankie in 2010 when Evans got 8 million and Mankie got his panties in a wad like a baby.

That was a mistake by BB.  

[/QUOTE]

Can I frame this quote?

Ive said what I had to say in regards to Talib. I agree CBs didnt make much money last year but there were no great names outside of Revis coming off an injury. If CBs were being had cheap, why did we pay Arrington one mill less than Talib? You guys want to act like you speak w/every G.M. in the league, thats fine. I dont. I go buy the market. Like I said...if the FS position is getting up to 8 mill/year than dont expect Talib to be lower than that. I will wait and see. If I am wrong, I will admit..... Will You?

[/QUOTE]

Get me a copy too

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

PAY DA MAN!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

So, let's say they can sign any two of the following four, who do you want, if these are the only choices?

Talib

Edelman

Arthur Jones

Donte Whitner

Whichever of these guys they don't sign,that means they have to fill that spot with a cheaper option (FA or draft) or in-house.

I'm picking Jones and Talib, putting my reservations aside concerning Talib's durability, or lack thereof. I just think they can get by at S and WR easier than they can at DT or CB, where depth is more critical.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wait are you serious? You think Kraft is cheap? You think Talib is took a discount on a 1 year prove it deal? You think Im lashing out by saying the Pats are in perfect position to have around 20 million in cap room, 27 million in stud players returning from IR and returning a team that was 12-4 last year?  what part am I wrong about? 

I mean you are the guy who predicted Tom Brady would be Tom Brady back in training camp of 2000, so I value your opinion...

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

I forgot all about that one. That was a doozy. It reminds me of some Mt Hurl camp observation dandies in years past, too.

[/QUOTE]

^^Insecure rusty feels the need to "lol" everyone that in some off way is in line with his agenda, when 90% of the people he "lol's" wish he'd go away...priceless.

Hey rust! Can you help me with my spelling? I'm trying to spell loser....here I go..rusty. Did I spell it right? You're so good at spell checking. Lol!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Talib better not be greedy, he better be looking for a fair price taking into consideration that he was knocked out of a very important playoff game by smurf after spending more time on the trainers table again this past season.