Harmon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Harmon

Interesting note on Harmon.  He study's labor law and would like to replace d smith one day.  We had light, vrabel and Brady I think as recent reps. something to add to the reach conspiracy. I guess I union involvement doesn't weigh in the selection process. 

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Duron-Harmons-love-of-labor/7eb771ca-e91c-4dfd-93cf-b42aa0e0f4a8

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Harmon

why would this factor in to the "reach conspiracy?" If anything it would be a reason to avoid the guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

why would this factor in to the "reach conspiracy?" If anything it would be a reason to avoid the guy.

"If anything it would be a reason to avoid the guy."

Yes, from your point of view. God forbid he works to protect laborers. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Laborers? We're talking athletes playing a game with a minimum wage of close to $500K/year. They're not laborers. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

"If anything it would be a reason to avoid the guy."

Yes, from your point of view. God forbid he works to protect laborers. 

No dreighver, not from my point of view, I could care less what the guy is interested in as long as he can play. But from the teams point of view, who wants a lockerroom lawyer? Those guys can divide a locker room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

No dreighver, not from my point of view, I could care less what the guy is interested in as long as he can play. But from the teams point of view, who wants a lockerroom lawyer? Those guys can divide a locker room.

You realize that the term "locker room lawyer" has nothing to do with actually being a lawyer right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Perhaps we're assuming that because the guy majored in labor law he's going to be a locker room lawyer.  Not sure that follows.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Perhaps we're assuming that because the guy majored in labor law he's going to be a locker room lawyer.  Not sure that follows.

Just to follow up.  The last guy on the Patriots to be labeled a locker room lawyer was Lloyd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Just to follow up.  The last guy on the Patriots to be labeled a locker room lawyer was Lloyd.

And he left Illinois after his junior year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I don't care if this guy majored in "Custodial Services".....can he play?? We'll find out soon enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

Brady majored in "general studies"....just saying. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Laborers? We're talking athletes playing a game with a minimum wage of close to $500K/year. They're not laborers. 

They face threats to their health, short-term and longterm, at their place of work. Their incomes, while lucrative, are incredibly short-lived. They're the targets of fraud, bad investments, and they have to balance this with health-insurance costs which result from their occupation. Lastly, they have to manage the amount of money they have earned, for, in most cases, at least 70+ years. They don't have a steady, sustained flow of income into their 60s, like most of us.

It's not quite as easy as it may seem.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

They face threats to their health, short-term and longterm, at their place of work. Their incomes, while lucrative, are incredibly short-lived. They're the targets of fraud, bad investments, and they have to balance this with health-insurance costs which result from their occupation. Lastly, they have to manage the amount of money they have earned, for, in most cases, at least 70+ years. They don't have a steady, sustained flow of income into their 60s, like most of us.

It never is... but even if they bank just 2-3 million ages 23-31 before being done, they aren't all planning on sitting with thumbs up bums the rest of their lives... most NFL players are instantly qualified to be high school/college coaches, work with youth sports, be personal trainers, add their name/face/brand to a business, work security, etc.

Most people these days hit the work force in their mid 20's with 50 to 100 grand in college loans. Even backup scrub NFL players can hit it in their early 30's with AT LEAST a few hundred k stored away and a reasonable middle class house and 50k new car paid off unless they are the fools who blow all that cash early on massions, sports cars and their entourage, those guys I have no sympathy for.

That's a pretty massive advantage over the average laborer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to rbetourne's comment:

Brady majored in "general studies"....just saying. 

Well . . . he is the field general!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Nothing's easy in life, but I'm not going to feel sorry for them. They choose this line of work. It has its ups and downs, like most professions. They can sell insurance or drive a truck if they'd prefer a steadier income stream.  Nobody is stopping them. Besides, I don't think the union helps much with any of those issues. Something like 80% of them end up bankrupt after their careers are over. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Pretty close, Muz - 78% according to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Why-do-so-many-NFL-players-go-bankrupt-?urn=nfl,190555

I think a lot of that has to do with background.  Right there is where the union could be enormously helpful to players - financial planning and life after football.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Pretty close, Muz - 78% according to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Why-do-so-many-NFL-players-go-bankrupt-?urn=nfl,190555

I think a lot of that has to do with background.  Right there is where the union could be enormously helpful to players - financial planning and life after football.

You're spot on about background. I've actually discussed this issue with people who played in the NFL and who have tried to do something about it, and the bottom line is there are a great many of these guys who just will not listen. They have all the answers and they don't want anybody telling them they can't have a dozen expensive watches, a Bentley and a Maserati.

Counseling is mandatory and half of the players sleep through it. There are also voluntary resources available that they don't use until they're on the verge of losing everything.  Agents don't give a crap what happens to these guys after they stop earning. They won't take their calls.

A few get it, live modestly and have a second career plan, but most have no plan for when the paychecks end. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Au contraire.  It suggests he has a brain unlike some of the recent guys we've had back there. Whatever you think about lawyers, studying law requires a fair degree of intelligence. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Au contraire.  It suggests he has a brain unlike some of the recent guys we've had back there. Whatever you think about lawyers, studying law requires a fair degree of intelligenToting

I thought I remember hearing that vrabel was getting vocal with union speak, and that could have calculated into his being part of the cassel trade.  My experience with the union/nonunion is they try to avoid each other if possible. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Remember, the owners want a union (they went to court to try to prevent it from decertifying).  This isn't your average steel mill we're talking about.  It's an odd business where the owners like having a union because it allows them to control salaries in a way they couldn't do without a union. The players benefit too, of course, but this is a rare industry where having a union is actually helpful to owners and management. 

Sections
Shortcuts