Harrison fined $25K for hit on Fitzpatrick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatssoxVA. Show PatssoxVA's posts

Harrison fined $25K for hit on Fitzpatrick

Well, he's at it again. Another $25K for helmet to helmet hit on a QB.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/11/30/james-harrison-fined.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Isn't it about time our dear commish step up the punishment to a suspension or a game check?

This just in...
    James Harrison put on IR. Injures his wrist due to it being slapped so many tiimes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Re: Harrison fined $25K for hit on Fitzpatrick

How much is that total in fines this year???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatssoxVA. Show PatssoxVA's posts

4 fines $125K

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

the commisioner is scared that harrison will quit if he raises the fine.

In Response to Harrison fined $25K for hit on Fitzpatrick:
    Well, he's at it again. Another $25K for helmet to helmet hit on a QB. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/11/30/james-harrison-fined.ap/index.html?eref=sihp Isn't it about time our dear commish step up the punishment to a suspension or a game check? This just in... James Harrison put on IR. Injures his wrist due to it being slapped so many tiimes.
    Posted by PatssoxVA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Harrison is an unapologetic repeat offender who is living proof of what that other Harrison (Rodney) said. The money doesn't matter. The commissioner appears to be very good with proclamations but not such a hard guy when it comes to following through and actually risking the ire of certain fans.

If Andre Johnson can rip a guy's helmet off and punch him three times in the back of the head with "only" a $25,000 fine and no suspension, I have a hard time believing that  anybody in the NFL will actually be suspended for anything game-related . . .  ever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Jimmy crack corn.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

I don't usually stick up for any of the Steelers when they deserve a penalty or criticism from opposing fans, but the first penalty that started all of this earlier in the season was a bad call in my eyes. The receiver dropped his head as Harrison was ready to hit him. You never see the offensive player getting penalized for leading with his helmet. This last penalty in my opinion was a bad call also. It's getting to the point that players are getting penalized & fined for just hitting too hard! But I also can't fault the refs either. Even when we played  the Patriots, the announcers were insinuating that the hit on Hines Ward was a helmet to helmet call. I didn't see it that way and neither did Hines. I thought it was a good solid hit. I have seen a handful of calls watching other games where the defender was coming in, not with his helmet, but the receiver drops his head at the last second and the defender doesn't have a chance.  That's just my opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

This is why I generally welcome Steelers fans on these forums, they see things without a ton of hometown bias unlike a lot of Jets and Chargers fans we have to deal with.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

That last fine on Harrison was utter and complete BS. It was not helmet to helmet. Harrison hit Fitzpatrick square in the upper chest, an absolute text book tackle.

What Harrison is being fined for is not going along with Goodell's vision of NFL football being a high scoring offensive game (for TV ratings), not a hard hitting, low scoring defensive game.

Personally, I would like to see James Harrison show up in person at Goddell's office with $25,000 in cash and shove it up his rear end.

Roger Goodell = total loser.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatssoxVA. Show PatssoxVA's posts

I agree with most of the posts.
    The fines for incidental contact are ludicrus. I'm just asking for consistancy from the comissioner's office.
    If you're going to cite the guy four times, there should be an increasing scale of punishment.
    The intent to protect is good, but as usual, the league goes overboard.  do they really look at the film or do they get a report. "helmet brushed helmet- $25K, please."
    A serious revisit of the penalty based on intent must be viewed in the off season.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

The cheap shot that Ryan Clark took on Wes Welker a few years ago was the type of hit that a player should get fined for.  And some of Harrison's hits have been deserving of a fine, if not a suspension. Plus the idiot came out and said he liked to hurt players. It seems like under Tomlin, the Steelers become less disciplined each season, in my opinion. Too many stupid penalty's turns you into an average team real quick!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

In Response to Re: Harrison fined $25K for hit on Fitzpatrick:
    The cheap shot that Ryan Clark took on Wes Welker a few years ago was the type of hit that a player should get fined for.  And some of Harrison's hits have been deserving of a fine, if not a suspension. Plus the idiot came out and said he liked to hurt players. It seems like under Tomlin, the Steelers become less disciplined each season, in my opinion. Too many stupid penalty's turns you into an average team real quick!
    Posted by Steelcurtain75

Agree with you on this. But, it is one thing to fine a player for a definite cheap shot, its another thing to fine them for a legal, but hard hit. Roger Good-for-nothing has taken this too far. I don't know enough about how the players are acting under Tomlin, but I will say you did not see that happening when Cowher was coach. From what I saw, he ran a very tight ship with the Steelers, and the players respected his authority. Probably why he was so successful for so long with no-name quarterbacks.

My greatest fear is this obsessive penalty/fines of Goodell is going to come home to roost with other teams. The same BS that Harrison was called on for "roughing the passer" could be very easily called on a Patriots player too. It would really stink for a team to lose a game on a bogus call, and my prediction is that's exactly going to happen if the owners don't review this absurd policy ASAP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Harrison fined $25K for hit on Fitzpatrick:
    Dont like this Commisioner, if he was around 50 years ago there would be no NFL today. You want to stop hard hitting in the NFL, take off the pads and helmets, and put on the flags. Lets play probably the most viscious game there is and lets make it mellow, doesn't add up.
    Posted by bobbysu

50 years ago the NFL wasn't a marketing machine trying to expand it's market among women and Europeans.

Sections
Shortcuts