Harrison "Move TE"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Harrison

I love the idea. Read that and it made total sense.

Another guy to look at for a move type spot, WR Kelvin Benjamin 6'5 235, BB was at his pro day reportedly 

Kid is a tank that could fill that Ahern role if harrison simply cant make the jump.

Taking a WR to transform in round 1 is risky but not out of BB's realm.

If Harrison can make this transition that would help the offense a ton

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

I brough this up last year in here simply due to his size. At 6'3 230 lbs. that is more or less a TE in this league, or at least a finesse pass receiving TE like a Hernandez.

The Pats very well may have a TE already on the roster who can compete for that kind of a role. I still think they'll look for a two way TE in the draft as well.

Mark Harrison as possible TE fit March, 31, 2014 MAR 31 4:10 PM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

One of the themes that came up consistently in an offseason study exploring other NFL teams was the idea of searching in-house for every possible answer before signing an external free-agent. One example that stood out was in Jacksonville last season, where the Jaguars were looking for a mismatch-type running back who could catch passes out of the backfield and ultimately tailored a role for undersized rookie receiver  Ace Sanders along those lines. 

This thought came to mind today after sharing an opinion on the Patriots' needs, and  listing tight end in the No. 3 spot

The Patriots currently have three tight ends on the roster --  Rob GronkowskiMichael Hoomanawanui and  D.J. Williams -- but after further inspection, it's possible they have a fourth; he's just listed as a wide receiver. 

It's  Mark Harrison

The former Rutgers Scarlet Knight is 6-foot-3 and 231 pounds, which is about as big as it gets for a receiver and almost puts him into a "move tight end" classification. Harrison had some things  going for him coming out of Rutgers but went undrafted and then didn't pass a physical with the Bears (foot injury). The Patriots signed him on May 20 and he ended up spending last year on season-ending injured reserve. 

The expectation is that he'll be a full participant in the team's offseason program which starts April 21, and three things stood out when looking into Harrison as a possible fit into the Patriots' tight end discussion: 

1. At least one other NFL team, in the pre-draft process last year, viewed Harrison as more of a "move" tight end than a receiver. 

2. Harrison's former Rutgers teammate,  receiver Tim Wright, made the same transition to tight end with the  Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season and totaled 54 catches under coach Greg Schiano. Harrison is actually bigger than Wright (6-4, 220). 

3. The Patriots are fairly well stocked at receiver, and with a lighter tight end depth chart combined with a draft class that is  sparking some questions, Harrison might have the best chance to emerge as a tight end. 

Some football food for thought as we consider areas of the Patriots' roster and the team's level of need.   http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760948/mark-harrison-as-possible-te-fit  

How about no on that. He's an undrafted WR who probably does't make the team this year.

Didn't you like T.J. Moe also?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

How about no on that. He's an undrafted WR who probably does't make the team this year.

This isnt just Rusty's thought. It's Reiss'. I think it a good idea. Whats the risk in it? Nothing. IF it did work out it would be another good piece to a good offense

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

If we don't get one of the top TEs then I would really consider it. Well seeing how Gronk might start on the PUP then Hooman, draft pick, and Harrison at TE would be interesting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

This isnt just Rusty's thought. It's Reiss'. I think it a good idea. Whats the risk in it? Nothing. IF it did work out it would be another good piece to a good offense

Hey Joe,

This guy's a knucklehead. I'm talking about Harrison by the way. See link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-signing-troubled-wide-receiver-mark-harrison-181100055.html

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think you can throw him in the mix this summer and see if he can handle the position. Personally I like Jace Amaro...I just don't think you can teach a guy to catch like he does. People like Benjamin, but I just don't think he catches the ball anywhere near as well as Amaro, plus at 6'5" 265 you can at least teach Amaro how to block.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Hey Joe,

This guy's a knucklehead. I'm talking about Harrison by the way. See link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-signing-troubled-wide-receiver-mark-harrison-181100055.html

Reading through the article, I see a possibility that some unknown player fixed the hotel room door to not close automatically, then came in and trashed the room.  If so, Harrison never was a knucklehead, just a victim of a prank, and the Krafts know this. 

Or, perhaps the Patriots investigative staff knows that Harrison did the deed, so that he was a knucklehead once, but that's not typical of his overall character.  Compared to an alcoholic player, Harrison is a choirboy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think you can throw him in the mix this summer and see if he can handle the position. Personally I like Jace Amaro...I just don't think you can teach a guy to catch like he does. People like Benjamin, but I just don't think he catches the ball anywhere near as well as Amaro, plus at 6'5" 265 you can at least teach Amaro how to block.

His small hands scare me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Eric Ebron would be great but he'll be gone in the top 10 most likely.  Won't go past 12 IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

If we don't get one of the top TEs then I would really consider it. Well seeing how Gronk might start on the PUP then Hooman, draft pick, and Harrison at TE would be interesting.

wait    Rutgers ????   this  is a lock!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

His small hands scare me.

Didn't know that...that is troubling a bit. He catches the ball so damn well though - just so polished.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Pat's should have never exposed Zach Sudfeld to the waiver process last year. I don't know what BB was thinking when he thought he could sneak him on to the practice squad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

Pat's should have never exposed Zach Sudfeld to the waiver process last year. I don't know what BB was thinking when he thought he could sneak him on to the practice squad.

I ws deflated too when we lost Sudfeld but he did nothing with the Jets and they had nothing much at TE, especially ones who can catch. So maybe we had it wrong. Maybe he had a couple of good weeks of catching the ball in preseason but showed it was just an inspired spurt and he really is not that good.... maybe...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Would you use a first on Amaro instead of a DT or DE or LB or C or G or S? If not do you think he will last till our 2nd round pick?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Was looking at what it looks like right now of players on the roster, there aren't a lot of spots open.  I have 51 of 53 but can see where at least 5 players could be upgraded.

Standing out to me, (not taking injuries ect just roster spots) 

LB

TE ( I added Mark Harrison to TEs not WRs)

WR if those guys make the jump, pretty good group

DE no depth, not help unless Buchanan turns into what I think he will this year but still no depth.

S HELP!!! lol

OL quality help there

QB - Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett 2

FB - James Develin 1

RB - Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden 3

TE - Rob Gronk, M. Hooma, D.J. Williams, Mark Harrison 4

WR - D. Amandola, J. Edelman, A. Dobson, B. LaFell, K. Thompkins, J. Boyce 6

OT - N. Solder, S. Vollmer, M. Cannon 3

OG - L. Mankins, D. Connolly, C. Barker 3

OC - R. Wendell 1  

DE - C. Jones, R. Nink, M. Buchanan, J. Bequette 4

DT - V. Wilfork, T. Kelly, S. Siliga, A. Armstead, J. Vellano, C. Jones 6

LB - J. Mayo, D. Hightower, J. Collins, S. Beau 4

CB - D. Revis, B. Browner, L. Ryan, A Dennard, K. Arrington, J. Green 6

S - D. McCourty, D. Harmon, N. Ebner, T. Wilson 4  

ST - S. Ghost, R. Allen, D. Aiken, M. Slater

So long story short, I think Pats should at least come out with 6 players from the draft that need to be an upgrade over current roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Would you use a first on Amaro instead of a DT or DE or LB or C or G or S? If not do you think he will last till our 2nd round pick?

Where we are picking in the first, I'd take him. If there was a top 15 talent defensive player available I would change my mind, but I don't want them reaching for a defensive player at that spot. I think Amaro will come in and contribute right away. I don't think this guy needs to be taught how to catch a football...he's polished. And I think he can be taught to block at his size, someone mentioned his hands being small - and that is a concern - but this guy can catch that football...he's big and he runs pretty well.

I don't think he'll be around where we select in the second round. Another guy I like is Cook, he's just this super quick receiver that looks like he'll be a handful for defensive backs to cover. I like the receiver from USC too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Draft a good TE, Get some good experience at TE, an undrafted WR turned TE who was out on PUP all last season isn't going to do much here, especially after a few really legit TE's couldn't.  This guy probably doesn't even make the team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Draft a good TE, Get some good experience at TE, an undrafted WR turned TE who was out on PUP all last season isn't going to do much here, especially after a few really legit TE's couldn't.  This guy probably doesn't even make the team. 

Are you talking about Mark Harrison?

A 6'3" 230+lb sub 4.5 with a 38.5 vert, I think he's worth a shot at HBack/Move TE. 

Sections
Shortcuts