Harrison talking about Wilson Signing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Harrison talking about Wilson Signing

nice to see a guy like Rodney Harrison, talking about Adrian Wilson.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/nfl_coverage/2013/03/nfl_notes_rodney_harrison_endorses_adrian_wilson

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Harrison talking about Wilson Signing

Good to hear Rodney confirm essentially what most of us were saying:

“I think he can come in especially during nickel and dime situations, and come down (close to the line) and play that second linebacker position like I did. He’s physical enough to help out in the run game, but he can also cover tight ends. So he can be that guy next to (JerodMayo who can come in and really make a difference in that nickel and dime package. "

So basically even Rodney said that Wilson will be used situationally in a specific role to best utilize his abilities. Glad to hear Rodney confirm what I've been saying since the signing. A good signing that will be used situationally to have the most effect on the field and not necessarily a starter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

“I think he can come in especially during nickel and dime situations, and come down (close to the line) and play that second linebacker position like I did. He’s physical enough to help out in the run game, but he can also cover tight ends. So he can be that guy next to (JerodMayo who can come in and really make a difference in that nickel and dime package. "

So basically even Rodney said that Wilson will be used situationally in a specific role to best utilize his abilities. Glad to hear Rodney confirm what I've been saying since the signing. A good signing that will be used situationally to have the most effect on the field and not necessarily a starter

Perfect. Now if the Pats could only get someone to start opposite McCourty that doesnt look lost like Gregory. 

I would assume Rodney is talking about Wilson as a 20-25% of the snaps guy, assuming at 33-34 he can stay healthy. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Perfect. Now if the Pats could only get someone to start opposite McCourty that doesnt look lost like Gregory. 

I would assume Rodney is talking about Wilson as a 20-25% of the snaps guy, assuming at 33-34 he can stay healthy. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the two Wilson's switch off. T. Wilson has some learning to do but he was alright in coverage. Made some mistakes I hope he can overcome but not to bad. I'm thinking T. Wilson will be in on 60% of snaps and A. Wilson in on 40-50% of snaps. Mainly obvious running downs and nickel/dime situations  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

don't know why but took Rusty off ignore for one instance knowing he was going to make a fool of himself and he did. But here you go Rusty from the Wilson signing thread my exact comments:

"Great depth signing and vet leadership. Should add some nice run stopping power and good TE/RB coverage in nickel packages"

Essentially the same thing that Rodney said but go ahead Rusty and say it's not even close to the same you are going back on ignore

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/-adrian-wilson-signed/100/6578090?page=2

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Except you weren't saying it.

Also, what you have transcribed is not what he says there at all. He's just saying his strengths are in the box, where Rodney's were and how BB used Rodney.

Tackling, timing of a blitz,  and covering TEs in the box, leadership, physicality, intimidation and a presence.

As you can see, he said nothing of age or a part time player.  A guy like that, who is absoutely in the HOF discussion, just like Rodney is, doesn't play part time.

BB plays a nickel at a very high rate and he's not a liability defending the run, so you are either not getting what his skills are or are reading what you want to read.

Of course, your behavior has been like this since March 13th when Welkie went to Denver.

Talib, Dennard, McCourty and Adrian Wilson are all 1st rd talents who are at different parts fo their careers, but you've been on here for 3 weeks now, tied to your Welkie sore bum bum, downplaying the impact of Wilson being here with what BB already has.

We'll see what Dowling can do in one last run if he makes it and the development of Tavon Wilson, but you're blind as a bat downplaying he trickle down of this signing. 

LOL. One of the funnier bickering matches on this board in a while.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

If you had taken the time to read the whole article, you'd have seen that Rodney said that he still believes Wilson is an every-down player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

don't know why but took Rusty off ignore for one instance knowing he was going to make a fool of himself and he did. But here you go Rusty from the Wilson signing thread my exact comments:

"Great depth signing and vet leadership. Should add some nice run stopping power and good TE/RB coverage in nickel packages"

Essentially the same thing that Rodney said but go ahead Rusty and say it's not even close to the same you are going back on ignore

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/-adrian-wilson-signed/100/6578090?page=2

PE: 1

QUEENIE: 0

notice the smart a** reference "welkie"...typical

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Sounds like exactly the opposite of what your saying.

I still believe he’s an every-down safety. I think it was a fantastic move and I’m looking forward to seeing Adrian play. I’ve really admired him from afar for so many years and seeing him mature. People really don’t understand what he’s been able to accomplish throughout his career because he’s played in such a bad market in Arizona. He’s really an under-appreciated and underrated player. He’s had a fabulous career. He’s a gem. I’ve seen this kid grow. I’ve seen him put on a lot of muscle and develop into a real quality player.”

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

LOL. One of the funnier bickering matches on this board in a while.

The funny thing is somehow Rusty seems to think me saying it was a good signing, Wilson will help, but since he's older will have to take a limited role is some how means I'm a BB basher. Not sure how that's BB bashing saying that you liked a move and giving good reasons why you liked the move

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hopefully I will see Rodney again this summer and I will get more info on what he thinks about Wilson.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I still believe he’s an every-down safety. I think it was a fantastic move and I’m looking forward to seeing Adrian play. I’ve really admired him from afar for so many years and seeing him mature. People really don’t understand what he’s been able to accomplish throughout his career because he’s played in such a bad market in Arizona. He’s really an under-appreciated and underrated player. He’s had a fabulous career. He’s a gem. I’ve seen this kid grow. I’ve seen him put on a lot of muscle and develop into a real quality player.”

you also forgot to mention where Rodney says he does believe Wilson lost a step...  and other then when I said I didn't see him as an everydown player anymore what it's the exact opposite from what I said? Would it be when I called it a good signing? or when I said he's going to bring a needed vet presence? or when I said he'd be used in the LB/SS role in coverage against TE/RB's? or when I said he'd be used more as an in the box defender? PLease tell me which one of these is the exact opposite

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

you also forgot to mention where Rodney says he does believe Wilson lost a step...  and other then when I said I didn't see him as an everydown player anymore what it's the exact opposite from what I said? Would it be when I called it a good signing? or when I said he's going to bring a needed vet presence? or when I said he'd be used in the LB/SS role in coverage against TE/RB's? or when I said he'd be used more as an in the box defender? PLease tell me which one of these is the exact opposite

I think it was when you said he would be a part time player(situational player) who probably didn't have much left in the tank, and of course he has lost a step but that doesn't mean he can't be out therer covering TE's and intimidating receivers who come across the middle. Rodney lost a step by age 30 but his instincts were unmatched. I feel Adrian has these instincts.

I respect your opinions Eng, I was just more exctied about this signing then you seemed to be.

Then again I am a coolaid drinking homer in the worst way! :0

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Seems to me that if Wilson was to be used situationally it would be to come off the field in nickel and dime packages. Again it sounds like Rodney is saying exaxctly opposite of what you have been thinking and confirms nothing about what you said.

He thinks Wilson is still an every down player who can STAY on the field in nickel and dime packages but move up to the line and play the hybrid LB role like Rodney was so succesful at.

Now I am sure that we will rotate Tavon in as well and doubt at 34 years old Wilson will be playing 90% of the snaps or anything, but to be clear, Rodney disagrees with you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Here we go:

Exhibit B, folks. We had Exhibit A above with PatsEng, who also has turned into a BB basher.

"If he can stay healthy"

Classic RKrap.  Overrates every mediocre signing or overpaid FAs for other AFC teams and then claims things like this for a future HOF Safety.

Dear RKrap:

BB plays a nickel base in lile 75% of the snaps.  This means we'll see more dime type stuff with BB using Wilson like a coverage or taking off a Spikes or Hightowers more than a Wilson.

He's not going to be riding the bench. You don't take off a future HOFer who makes your entire D better due to what kind of formation you're supposed to play (non nickel or dime).

Dumb as a bag of rocks.

BB is drooling over the possibilites for Wilson in his D and you and PatsEng are making it seem like he'll see the field 25% of the time, which is false.

A player with this kind of a skill set is bad news for opposing offenses.  Wilson was also mot taken off the the field last year due to performance either, it was due to them moving on, being out of the playoffs and debuting other young players who may or may not be in their plans after Wilson was leaving.

You would be 100% correct if Wilson was between 27 and 32 years old. But he will be 34 this season and has clearly lost a step. 

I do feel BB will be able to utilize Wilson in an effective role, but it will end up as 23-30% of the snaps. 

I also agree that the hope is that Tavon Wilson gets 50% of the snaps. But he did not play well last season, and IMO the jury is still out with him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The guy will give the Patriots about half a season, maybe more, maybe less.  He's 34 years old.  That aside, he's what BB wants, a hard hitter. 

BB for the most part doesn't believe in finesse teams, the dingdong taunts of the team's many rivals notwithstanding.  He fields a collection of hitters and big uglies, preferably with both qualities in the same set of pads.  Exceptions:  Wes Welker (gone) and Danny Woodhead (gone).  Also, his offensive line is merely NFL average at pave-blocking but they accelerate well, which means that they hit cornerbacks hard in open field collisions.  Non-exceptions:  Tom Brady (6'5", 225 lbs), Zoltan Mesko (6'4", 230 lbs), Walrus Wilfork and Two Ton Ted Washington, BB's entire defensive line, all linebackers, many strong safeties, all five tight ends (and he might just keep all five!)

I might expect BB to draft a strong safety who will have a few months of experience to take Wilson's place when he goes down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They have other candidates for the b/u SS job other than Gregory. How about the  long forgotten Josh Barrett? Or maybe the once heralded Ras I Dowling? Tavon wilson and of course my favorite longshot Ebner. Never know with BB doing the mixology!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

true - plus find where I said he doesn't have anything left in the tank in anything I posted. I have said and never changed that I think he's lost a step and at 34 using him situationally is the best way to keep him fresh for the postseason run. You can still have something in the tank but have your minutes managed.

Why is it that saying it's a good signing and using him as an in box defender with limited reps to keep him fresh for the postseason is taken as a huge negative that it's anti BB and that it's essentially saying the players washed up? I really like to know how that leap is made because I truely don't understand it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Tavon Wilson was drafted pretty high up, I think the plan is to have him back there as a starter. 

Anyone but Steven "I love staring at the back of Dennis Pitta's jersey as he runs right pass me" Gregory. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

RKrap, Hurl, PatsEng, TFB12, Bdbreu all on the watch with Babe.

This morning when I read this I thought to myself...watch that dumbo rusty post something about this, and sure enough you did!! LOL! Only you would get excited over what someone says about a player who hasn't played a snap in March, and brag about it. Rodney would do back flips if Belichick installed a new towell rack in his bathroom...he nearly pees himself over every move we make.

Wilson is 34 years old come next season - I guarantee he will look like the second coming of Ronnie Lott until November - then his legs will give out. You will run around saying how Belichick is saving him and all these new schemes for the post season (remember that one?), after he finds himself on the bench. Then come next off season we will be looking for the next free agent safety to bring aboard. The warnings were out people! Irrationals exposed!

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.