Harrison talking about Wilson Signing

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Harrison talking about Wilson Signing

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Tavon Wilson was drafted pretty high up, I think the plan is to have him back there as a starter. 

Anyone but Steven "I love staring at the back of Dennis Pitta's jersey as he runs right pass me" Gregory. 

LOL!!!  I agree.  I think Gregory is a 'try-hard' guy, but he simply is not a starting caliber safety.  I think if he's used in certain packages and used sparingly, he can be decent.

Here's to hoping Wilson continues to develop on his decent rookie season and soaks up everything he can from Adrian.  The Adrian acquisition certainly bodes well for Tavon's development.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Good to hear Rodney confirm essentially what most of us were saying:

“I think he can come in especially during nickel and dime situations, and come down (close to the line) and play that second linebacker position like I did. He’s physical enough to help out in the run game, but he can also cover tight ends. So he can be that guy next to (JerodMayo who can come in and really make a difference in that nickel and dime package. "

So basically even Rodney said that Wilson will be used situationally in a specific role to best utilize his abilities. Glad to hear Rodney confirm what I've been saying since the signing. A good signing that will be used situationally to have the most effect on the field and not necessarily a starter

Seems to me that if Wilson was to be used situationally it would be to come off the field in nickel and dime packages. Again it sounds like Rodney is saying exaxctly opposite of what you have been thinking and confirms nothing about what you said.

He thinks Wilson is still an every down player who can STAY on the field in nickel and dime packages but move up to the line and play the hybrid LB role like Rodney was so succesful at.

Now I am sure that we will rotate Tavon in as well and doubt at 34 years old Wilson will be playing 90% of the snaps or anything, but to be clear, Rodney disagrees with you.

Exactly. His true sentiments were also in line with troll RKrap who used the words "25% of plays".

That's wrong in many ways, because anyone who has a clue knows BB uses a sub[ackage or nickelpackage upwards of 75% of the time and that doesn't count a dime package.

PatsEng has unfortunately been corrupted by the RKraps and Mt Hurl types, which means his pink hat is well situated on his head.

Even when Rodney corroborates what we said and what the Irrationals claimed, they still try to twist it.

Sick. It really is.

They're the most miserable fans I've ever seen.

Why do you have to be so angry?

pats eng is a knowledgable fan, and I enjoy reading his posts. Karp and Hurtl are pretty negative but that's what is great about being a fan. Your team gets you riled up and emotions run high. That's whywe  spend time on this forum.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

RKrap, Hurl, PatsEng, TFB12, Bdbreu all on the watch with Babe.

This morning when I read this I thought to myself...watch that dumbo rusty post something about this, and sure enough you did!! LOL! Only you would get excited over what someone says about a player who hasn't played a snap in March, and brag about it. Rodney would do back flips if Belichick installed a new towell rack in his bathroom...he nearly pees himself over every move we make.

Wilson is 34 years old come next season - I guarantee he will look like the second coming of Ronnie Lott until November - then his legs will give out. You will run around saying how Belichick is saving him and all these new schemes for the post season (remember that one?), after he finds himself on the bench. Then come next off season we will be looking for the next free agent safety to bring aboard. The warnings were out people! Irrationals exposed!

Just this morning when you were crapping about all those jelly beans you ate? Oh wow. Isn't that nice.

There is no way on earth you were a Pats fan in the 1980s or early 1990s. No way.

You're a bandwagon deluxe.

I'm trying to make sense of what you wrote here...I'm assuming you're drunk and that's fine. Was I a fan in the 80's? Well I was young, but still I was a fan - we weren't very good, but we had a magical run in 86. I can remember us having some real good linebackers. I watched them pretty regularly during the entire 90's...again we were pretty terrible in the early 90's, but I still watched. When we drafted Bledsoe I can say I've seen every game since (haven't missed a single one), and I'm hoping I'll stay on board after Brady retires. I will admit that Jeremy Jacobs pretty much destroyed the love I had for the Bruins - thus I don't watch that team very much anymore...I'm hopeful the same won't happen to the Patriots. I did have season tickets for a couple of seasons...97 and 98? But it became a royal pain to try to get there on Sundays, it was an all day thing and I just couldn't do it anymore. I became a draft junky somewhere around 1995. Other than that I enjoy long walks on the beach, music, seafood, grilling (huge weber grill fan), sunsets, sunrises...all those little things...sweet nothings, etc.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

RKrap, Hurl, PatsEng, TFB12, Bdbreu all on the watch with Babe.

This morning when I read this I thought to myself...watch that dumbo rusty post something about this, and sure enough you did!! LOL! Only you would get excited over what someone says about a player who hasn't played a snap in March, and brag about it. Rodney would do back flips if Belichick installed a new towell rack in his bathroom...he nearly pees himself over every move we make.

Wilson is 34 years old come next season - I guarantee he will look like the second coming of Ronnie Lott until November - then his legs will give out. You will run around saying how Belichick is saving him and all these new schemes for the post season (remember that one?), after he finds himself on the bench. Then come next off season we will be looking for the next free agent safety to bring aboard. The warnings were out people! Irrationals exposed!

Just this morning when you were crapping about all those jelly beans you ate? Oh wow. Isn't that nice.

There is no way on earth you were a Pats fan in the 1980s or early 1990s. No way.

You're a bandwagon deluxe.

I'm trying to make sense of what you wrote here...I'm assuming you're drunk and that's fine. Was I a fan in the 80's? Well I was young, but still I was a fan - we weren't very good, but we had a magical run in 86. I can remember us having some real good linebackers. I watched them pretty regularly during the entire 90's...again we were pretty terrible in the early 90's, but I still watched. When we drafted Bledsoe I can say I've seen every game since (haven't missed a single one), and I'm hoping I'll stay on board after Brady retires. I will admit that Jeremy Jacobs pretty much destroyed the love I had for the Bruins - thus I don't watch that team very much anymore...I'm hopeful the same won't happen to the Patriots. I did have season tickets for a couple of seasons...97 and 98? But it became a royal pain to try to get there on Sundays, it was an all day thing and I just couldn't do it anymore. I became a draft junky somewhere around 1995. Other than that I enjoy long walks on the beach, music, seafood, grilling (huge weber grill fan), sunsets, sunrises...all those little things...sweet nothings, etc.

Sure. I am drunk because I have you pegged as a pink hat and always knew you were?

lol

Dude, you chose to have season tickets when Pete Carroll was the coach? Nuff said.

It's ALWAYS been a royal pain which used to weed out you pinkies, but too many want to say they saw Tommy on Mondays at work, which ruins this thing or the diehards.

Stay home, pinkhats. Give it back to the real fans. 

Go back to your Jets boards you troll

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know I don't get it with Rusty. You are instantly a pink hat or troll if you question any BB move and don't call them a brilliant moves instantly yet he spends the entire season questioning coaching decisions and offensive player personal. It's the most asinine thing I've ever heard to call a loyal fan a pink hat or troll for critizing player personal decisions when BB himself admits he hasn't always made the right player decisions and then turn around and criticize his coaching and say that what loyal fans should do.

If liking the signing of Wilson, Talib, Vollmer, Jones (as a #3 hopefully they sign/draft more) and not liking the signing of an injury prone second choice (*as the #1 WR), overpaying for a slot CB, having an unstable WR core is the sign of a pink then I'm a pink hat what can I say. I feel fans should openly criticize the team if they see problems that aren't being addressed properly because a real fan should hold the team to the same standard the team holds themselves. As BB and Brady have both said, they just weren't good enough last year. Yes I was around during the 90's so I'm enjoying this run but I also know how quickly it can turn back into the 90's team which is why I want to maximize the time we have to enjoy it. Not just be competitive but win it because eventually we will be waiting just to be competitive again. No fan that went through the 90's wants to just be competitive right now because they know what it's like when you team is fighting just for a playoff spot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

“I think he can come in especially during nickel and dime situations, and come down (close to the line) and play that second linebacker position like I did. He’s physical enough to help out in the run game, but he can also cover tight ends. So he can be that guy next to (JerodMayo who can come in and really make a difference in that nickel and dime package. "

So basically even Rodney said that Wilson will be used situationally in a specific role to best utilize his abilities. Glad to hear Rodney confirm what I've been saying since the signing. A good signing that will be used situationally to have the most effect on the field and not necessarily a starter

Seems to me that if Wilson was to be used situationally it would be to come off the field in nickel and dime packages. Again it sounds like Rodney is saying exaxctly opposite of what you have been thinking and confirms nothing about what you said.

He thinks Wilson is still an every down player who can STAY on the field in nickel and dime packages but move up to the line and play the hybrid LB role like Rodney was so succesful at.

Now I am sure that we will rotate Tavon in as well and doubt at 34 years old Wilson will be playing 90% of the snaps or anything, but to be clear, Rodney disagrees with you.

Exactly. His true sentiments were also in line with troll RKrap who used the words "25% of plays".

That's wrong in many ways, because anyone who has a clue knows BB uses a sub[ackage or nickelpackage upwards of 75% of the time and that doesn't count a dime package.

PatsEng has unfortunately been corrupted by the RKraps and Mt Hurl types, which means his pink hat is well situated on his head.

Even when Rodney corroborates what we said and what the Irrationals claimed, they still try to twist it.

Sick. It really is.

Closer to 60% Russ, but point taken.

however, just because the pats run 5 or more DBS 60% of the time, doesn't mean awilson will, should or could be on the field for all those snaps. Just like when we signed Ellis , or name another long in the tooth defensive player...bb managed their snaps to benefit them and our other players 

awilson is a fine addition especially coupled with Talib, mccourty at safety another year, a 2md year of Dennard development, Arrington to stay put in the star role, and my fingers crossed Ras stays healthy And twilson developing. This is all predicated in staying healthy however. Meaning we need more quality depth at cb and safety. Gregory stinks, ebner is a nice story but don't want him anywhere on the field except st.....we need more quality depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Sick. It really is.

Closer to 60% Russ, but point taken.

however, just because the pats run 5 or more DBS 60% of the time, doesn't mean awilson will, should or could be on the field for all those snaps. Just like when we signed Ellis , or name another long in the tooth defensive player...bb managed their snaps to benefit them and our other players 

awilson is a fine addition especially coupled with Talib, mccourty at safety another year, a 2md year of Dennard development, Arrington to stay put in the star role, and my fingers crossed Ras stays healthy And twilson developing. This is all predicated in staying healthy however. Meaning we need more quality depth at cb and safety. Gregory stinks, ebner is a nice story but don't want him anywhere on the field except st.....we need more quality depth.

+1

I posted this elsewhere;

I did say that in my opinion that Washington, Jenkins and Wilson are on the wrong side of 30. I have applauded the Vollmer signing, and also agree Arrington was needed. I like Talib as a player but as everyone else in the NFL does, question his reliability. (Mentally and physically)

I also said that last years free agency signings left me really frustrated and disappointed. 

And yes, I was not a fan of the Ocho, Ellis and Albert era.

Can you tell me how that translates into me wanting to bankrupt the franchise, and wildly shop for free agents? 

It seems like this board is splitting into 2 camps.

First camp says we live and die for the Pats and we visit this board daily for updates and to state our passion. We think BB is the best coach in the history of the NFL. It's been 10 years since a SB win, and we want more than winning AFC east divisions, and have some concerns that when Brady retires, things will be a lot more difficult. We find some of BB's free agency decisions frustrating, and this is a good forum to vent those frustrations. 

Second camp seems to say BB simply can do no wrong. How dare anyone come to this board and post a comment that disagrees with anything BB or the Pats do. And if anyone does come to this board and disagree, they will be shouted down, called names and told they are not true fans. 

I am a 30 year season ticket holder (in the family for 30 years while I have footed the bill for 15 of those years) who has also attended 4 Super Bowls. I have put my money where my mouth is, and feel my passionate criticism is warranted. I don't have to tell anyone who attends games about the cost of attending in Foxboro. I read where Krafts worth was over $2 billion, of which the Pats most likely account for 85-95% of that. Still, I applaud the well thought out money management decisions, and admire the ability of cold hearted ness which other teams have such a hard time with (hello Cowboys). 

Dont mistake passion for trolling and negativity.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Like i said many times 90% of Saftey play is above the shoulders, losing a step means squat, if you are a smart player in this position. Thats why hard position for College kids to step in immediately to the Pros. Harrison came here from the Chargers wasn't the fastest or quickest, but he was the Smartest. Wilson has this quality, no problem.

yes and no. The closer you are to the line I agree losing a step doesn't matter as much (ie SS/LB role Wilson will be in) but the further away from the line and the more overtop coverage you still need the speed to get across the field quickly (ie FS). Gregory is a prime example. Gregory is a very smart FS, BB said it himself, and you can tell he's good at breaking down plays but he doesn't have the lateral speed to get across field quick enough to prevent the play. When playing overtop you still need the speed to get across the field quickly which is why you see FS's become SS's later in their careers as they get slower and not the other way around. Now Wilson is an in box defender so losing a step won't hurt him nearly as bad as say if McCourty lost a step but you also have to take into account that with age he wears down quicker too over the course of a season. To me this is a bigger concern as it was clear he was wearing down as the season progressed in Ari. Now the Pats don't play a 16 game season. They play a 17-20 game season so it's even more important that their aging vets aren't worn down before the playoffs even start. No sense in burning out your vets early in the season if you final goal is to make a deep push after the reg season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Like i said many times 90% of Saftey play is above the shoulders, losing a step means squat, if you are a smart player in this position. Thats why hard position for College kids to step in immediately to the Pros. Harrison came here from the Chargers wasn't the fastest or quickest, but he was the Smartest. Wilson has this quality, no problem.

yes and no. The closer you are to the line I agree losing a step doesn't matter as much (ie SS/LB role Wilson will be in) but the further away from the line and the more overtop coverage you still need the speed to get across the field quickly (ie FS). Gregory is a prime example. Gregory is a very smart FS, BB said it himself, and you can tell he's good at breaking down plays but he doesn't have the lateral speed to get across field quick enough to prevent the play. When playing overtop you still need the speed to get across the field quickly which is why you see FS's become SS's later in their careers as they get slower and not the other way around. Now Wilson is an in box defender so losing a step won't hurt him nearly as bad as say if McCourty lost a step but you also have to take into account that with age he wears down quicker too over the course of a season. To me this is a bigger concern as it was clear he was wearing down as the season progressed in Ari. Now the Pats don't play a 16 game season. They play a 17-20 game season so it's even more important that their aging vets aren't worn down before the playoffs even start. No sense in burning out your vets early in the season if you final goal is to make a deep push after the reg season.

His stats in 'Zona dropped off not due to him wearing down, but because he was benched in favor of younger players who they were hoping to develop.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Wilson signing will pay huge dividends, I can't believe we've been clamoring for a SS for years, hoping Chung would improve instead of regress, now we have one of the best safeties of his generation, the best possible fit for this defense with a some good years left in the tank and there are complaints?

When this guy is laying the lumber I plan of reviving this thread.  The moaners will be backtracking real fast...

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Wilson is a classic BB pickup...he wouldn't have signed him even for the short $$ he's paying him if he hadn't checked the guy out and was certain he had plenty left in the tank for what he wants to use him for.....he's a seasoned vet with a great past, hits like a freight train and will have guy's heads on a swivel when the try to catch passes over the middle on us, something they haven't had since Rodney was healthy...he'll be a great tutor to a young secondary of Tavon Wilson and McCourty...nice rotation shaping up in the team's safties, especially knowing there will eventually be injuries...now they have veteran backup help...

Here is what the pink helmets are complaining about, led by RKarp, Pats Eng and others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpT5SvlfJU

25 sacks and 25 INTs career.

Like I said, if he was 27-32 I am ecstatic. But he will be 34 and EVERYONE around the NFL says he cant cover anymore. 

Look, whats done is done. I am only hoping it is a good signing, and next fall we arent watching our safties chasing WR's and Rusty blaming Brady for it.

i can see it now...."if Brady had taken less we coulda had Reed!!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I like him as depth no matter what and think there's a possibility he'll be more than depth.  At the same time I'm not going to expect too much from a guy who lost snaps last year to ex-Pat James Sanders.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I like him as depth no matter what and think there's a possibility he'll be more than depth.  At the same time I'm not going to expect too much from a guy who lost snaps last year to ex-Pat James Sanders.

Sorry pro, but that's essentially what I've been saying so that means you're a pink hat according to Rusty. Welcome to the club

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Sorry pro, but that's essentially what I've been saying so that means you're a pink hat according to Rusty. Welcome to the club

Every year we see the same thing in preseason.  Fans get too high or too low on every player. In reality, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle and you just have to wait and see.  I like the Wilson signing, but I think it's way too premature to be calling him the next Rodney Harrison.

Rusty should change his name to Mr Hyperbole . . .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Every year we see the same thing in preseason.  Fans get too high or too low on every player. In reality, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle and you just have to wait and see.  I like the Wilson signing, but I think it's way too premature to be calling him the next Rodney Harrison.

Rusty should change his name to Mr Hyperbole . . .

I agree. I've said all along I like the Wilson signing but given age and just with my eye watching at the end of the season the 34yr old Wilson is no 30yr old Rodney when he came to the team. I think he's still going to be a very good player and an upgrade over Chung but I'm trying to be a bit realistic with some of these signings they make. I'm expecting about 50% of snaps out of A Wilson and for his largest impact to come in the postseason against the underneath dump off routes and as box defender (SS/LB). I believe BB knows how to get the most out of his players and that the older ones can't be used full force during the season or risk wearing them down before the playoffs. Though I do question his player personal choices at times, chosing the quantity approach and hoping to find the diamond instead of slightly higher then average quality priced players who are younger (not talk the top FA's at their positions either), I have no doubt when they are in the middle of the season he will use them to their greatest effect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wilson will start day one and play at SS the entire season provided he doesn't have a major injury.  

And I can't guarantee that he won't get injured, but I can't say that about a 21 year old or a 40 year old, that's football... but Wilson is still an every down player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

BB's a great coach and he's great at finding good complementary players and adjusting schemes to ensure they can contribute as much as possible.  So I expect Wilson to be a factor given his track record.  But I'm with you.  It's a possibility we'll get Harrison-like contributions from him, but it's also possible he'll be more like Seau.  Either way it's good--but let's not overreact to the signing of a 34 year old safety. 

While BB does a brilliant job putting a team together with value players, I still maintain that there are times when the lack of top talent in its prime comes back to bite us.  Alittle salary cap hell may be needed to get us over the championship hump.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Wilson will start day one and play at SS the entire season provided he doesn't have a major injury.  

And I can't guarantee that he won't get injured, but I can't say that about a 21 year old or a 40 year old, that's football... but Wilson is still an every down player.

We'll see. Nice if he does, but I'm not counting those chicks yet. Let's see him on the field first.

Sections
Shortcuts