Hartline receives contract to pay him "just under" $7 million a year!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Re: Hartline receives contract to pay him

Turn the question the other way: if Bowes is getting 56 millions for 5 years and Hartline getting slightly under 7 millions  a year with the productivities they had, why are you guys jumping down Welker's throat and peeing on him?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Turn the question the other way: if Bowes is getting 56 millions for 5 years and Hartline getting slightly under 7 millions  a year with the productivies they had, why are you guys jumping down Welker's throat and peeing on him?

One reason only......age

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

This was about what I expected for him. At age 27 he is developing as a receiver. He was playing for a disfunctional offense his first three years which happily was shipped to the Jets last year (smile!)

And yes - his production was about the same as Lloyd playing with a rookie. People forget that Lloyd's free agent deal last year was seen as a huge bargain for the Pats. 70+rec/1000yds receivers get paid - look at rosters around the league and those guys are getting 6-7M.

In comparison with Welker he has three advantages: Age, Speed, and the perception as an outside guy vs. slot. Welker has the advantage on production and track record.

I don't like when someone says they had a rookie throwing to him or they had a bad QB throwing to him Because in 2008 Randy Moss had 69 receptions for 1000+ yards while Welker had 111 receptions for 1165 yards from an inexperienced QB named Matt Cassell.

Are you really going there - Moss is an all time great and Welker was in his prime (and is probably the best ever slot receiver) with Moss taking all the defensive attention. Hartline did his thing with no other receiving threat on the team and not a whole lot of talent in a first year coaches new offensive system and with a kid out of college throwing the ball. Cassell had been in the system for a couple of years on a very stable team. That is why I mentioned the rookie QB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

If Wes signs for $9m why is Hartline for $7 a bad deal?

Not sure you are serious.  $7 million for Hartline is about $3.5 million per year too much.  He hasn't proved himself yet.  He had one good season, he is a good # 2 receiver.  No way is he worth $7 million per year, to ask Welker to take less then $8 million compared to this Hartline deal would be ignorant and a complete joke.

Deals like this put the Patriots in a real bad situation with Welker contract talks.

Yes.....BB must pay Wes 9 now and I do not think it happens. Perhaps something creative by the Pats may get it done. I think he is in Denver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

What if Wes heads to Denver and wins a ring with PM. Wow will this board go nuts!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Can Welker make an argument for his contract based on a WR he has nothing in common with with the exception of being both of Caucasian descent?

I mean, Hartline is above 6'0 and is an outside WR to slot WR Wes.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Greg Jennings is the one who should be most effected by this deal, not Welker. Welker's deal is dependent on how well Amendola gets paid. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Dude, you can't compare normal business to football players who play a physical sport. The average NFL player's career is like 4 years.

Sure you can!  I just did!!  If the ave NFL career is 4 years then damn, these players better be making all they can right now because most of them are broke after retirement!  So since you brought this up... Welker better be asking for and getting $20 mill per year!!!  See what I did there, lol!!

I don't own any business, have no desire to, etc, but you have to look at everything when negotiating. Everything is negotiable.

Thank goodness, you would be very hard to work for.  I like talking with my boss about football, heck you would probably fire me for our Patriot differences!!

You clearly have a man love for Welker, too.  All Pats fans appreciate the heck out of what he's done here and maybe what he'll continue to do here.    But, if I had the choice of walking away from his 10 mil per year price and not, I walk away.

Welker is not above the team or this team's goal.

No, not man love for Welker but I do have Patriot love.  I want this team to win SB's.  This team has a better chance at this point with him then without him.  I ask a fair price to be paid to him. Fair is $8-$9 million! 

For how many years?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

weren't his numbers like 69 rec for 1,000+ yards ??

but a large portion of that came off of a couple games. He was wildly inconsistent. The guy had 6 sub 50 games with a 7th exactly at 50. Just for example with that Ari game he averaged 67.7 yrds a game which is respectable #1/2 WR numbers. Take that 1 game out and he drops to 55.3 yrds a game. Still not bad but that's a massive drop because of one game.

As a contrast Welker had 2 sub 50 games (one at 48) and had 5 games above 100.

Comparing standard deviation Welkers is 34.5yrds per game Hartlines is 58.8yrds per game

Those are massive differences which point to Hartline not being anywhere close to Welker's numbers. Is Hartline a good WR, sure but he's wildly inconsistent and paying him that much is a bit much. But, who knows if he can get consistency that $7mil might be warrented

Good post PatsEng!  I always like posts that have good supporting numbers and facts!

Well then...

welker would cost an additional $45,454 per reception or an additional $7380 per yard or $400000 per td.   That's the cost is it a good deal. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Well then...

welker would cost an additional $45,454 per reception or an additional $7380 per yard or $400000 per td.   That's the cost is it a good deal. 

Well since it cost the Patriots $375,000 per catch for Chad "Ocho" Johnson, $46,567 per catch for Brandon Lloyd,  Has cost $69,119 per catch for Aaron Hernandez, and $58,584 per catch for Gronk, Then I would have to yell YES, $45,454 is a fantastic deal for Welker!!

I like Welker.  I'm sure I could drink a beer with the guy.  I'm sure bb has a plan.   If welker s in it ill be happy.  The clocks ticking. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Are you kidding me?  Outragous!  Especially for a guy who had only one good year, nothing special. 

Glad the Patriots didn't chase this guy, that is way too much.  The Phins have the cap space to handle the deal but still, that is a ton of money for a #2 caliber receiver.

Here is the write up ....

The Dolphins' contract with free agent Brian Hartline is expected to pay him "just under" $7 million a year.

It's a pricey sum for an average, No. 2-caliber receiver, but Miami is loaded with salary cap space and Hartline otherwise would've hit the market as a top-five or six wideout. An announcement of the deal appears to be imminent.

First of all, the title of this thread is misleading, in that it implies that that the 'Fins have in fact made such an offer...and that Hartline has accepted the offer. Neither is presently the case.

Secondly, bad teams like Miami generally have to pay more to retain their players, or to reel in free agents. There's no attraction to play there. The team is far from being a SB contender, and far from being in a position to challenge the Pats for AFC East supremacy. There's also no high profile coach there with a proven NFL track record, who can attract quality free agents.

Third, the notion that Miami overpaying for Hartline somehow affects what the Pats end up paying to resign Wes Welker is silly. The Pats surely have a number in mind, from which they likely won't deviate. Furthermore. Hartline is a different type of player, and is much younger, than the soon to be 32 year old Wes. The availability of Danny Amendola gives the Pats some leverage. But, Welker have leverage too, in that he could market himself to play with the hated Horseface in Denver.  

At the end of the day, my guess is that Wes wants to remain in New England with his good buddy Tom...and that the Pats will be leery about letting a durable, proven slot receiver, who averages over 100 receptions per season, get away. My hope is that the Pats draw the line at $8mil. per season, in a backloaded contract. The amount of guaranteed money will surely be the point of contention.             

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

According to ESPN, Hartline  and the Dolphins agreed to a 5 years , 30.775 millions dollars contract, 12.5 millions of which are guaranteed. Not quite "just under" 7 millions a year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

It's a done deal!

No. It's a done deal, now. It wasn't a "done deal" when you initially posted. Furthermore, it's not at $7mil. per season. It's a 5 year, $30.775mil. deal, with $12.5mil. guaranteed. That seems reasonable for a young player of Hartline's stature: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/reports-miami-dolphins-brian-hartline-agree-to-fiv/nWkq9/; and http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-miami-dolphins-resign-brian-hartline-to-fiveyear-deal-20130307,0,5367882.story.

If the Patriots can sign Wes Welker to a similar deal, it would be a steal. 

Sections
Shortcuts