Has age finally hit the Raven's D?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Has age finally hit the Raven's D?

Yeah, it's early. But how long can that D stay elite with some of the key guys getting well into what is considered the twilight of a career?

After 2 weeks they are rated near the bottom of the league for yards allowed and they are also below average with DPR.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Has age finally hit the Raven's D?

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, it's early. But how long can that D stay elite with some of the key guys getting well into what is considered the twilight of a career?

After 2 weeks they are rated near the bottom of the league for yards allowed and they are also below average with DPR.

[/QUOTE]

What a change a few years makes.

Could the Pats now have the killer front 7 and an offense that is easily shut down ala Ravens pre 2009 and the Ravens have the prolific offense and an aging slow defense ala Patriots pre 2011?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Not just age but no T Suggs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

T Suggs basketball career stunted his football career...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I think Ozzie is, at the very least, trying to plan for the future. If the Pats had not traded up and drafted Hightower the Ravens would have scooped him. As it is the Ravens traded down and got Upshaw (potential Suggs replacement?). One thing is obvious; much like BB has the last 4 years, Ozzie is going to have to overhaul the Ravens defense soon or before the likes of Lewis, Suggs and Reed retire.....and he too will learn that it is difficult to replace pro-bowl caliber players. He does have Ngata and L. Webb to build around. This, in an odd way, inflates Flacco's value for the future of the Ravens.

Not really prepared to write off the Ravens D entirely, but they don't appear to be as dominant as they have been in the past. I'd say the Niners D has supplanted them or Pittsburgh as the best D in the NFL, but I don't Ray Ray is going to "go gently into that good night".

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Isn't Brady getting into the twilight of his career? You said it all with it has only been two game... I mean if you project out the season based on two weeks the Pats will be 8-8 and the Cardinals will be 16-0.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Brady aside, the Patriots are about the youngest team in the NFL, and the Ravens are among the oldest.  Yes, getting injured and staying injured is a common problem when your team is grandpa old.  Occasionally crossing your fingers might help, but smart teams take measures against these issues early on.

The reason I set Brady aside is because quarterbacks and kickers/punters have a much longer lifespan in the NFL than other players.  Brady might be playing five years from now.  He has a quick release and lots of targets, his line is perennially good against the pass rush (except for Logan Mankins this year, they're all grading well!), he moves well in the pocket, and he's heavier than most quarterbacks which means he takes tackles more safely.  ALso, this year the Patriots seem to have a running game, which further takes the pressure off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't Brady getting into the twilight of his career? You said it all with it has only been two game... I mean if you project out the season based on two weeks the Pats will be 8-8 and the Cardinals will be 16-0.

[/QUOTE]

A QBs twilight and a safety or LB's twilight are usually a few years different. I would much rather have a 35 yo QB than a 35 yo LB.

Sections
Shortcuts