HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Re: HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "?

My only response to the jump the shark question is this:  Find me another franchise that has remainded consistently competitive over a decade while losing core players and coaches on a yearly basis.

This team has been in the superbowl mix for almost 10 years; they won 3 and could've won a 4th despite being outplayed.  They've missed the playoffs twice (once with their QB out and with an 11-5 record). 

Belichick and co. have had bad free agent pickups and bad draft picks.  But they consistently have multiple top picks via draft day trades and they take chances to use some of those picks to bring talent here (Moss, Welker, Burgess, others).  You hit big sometimes, you miss badly others.  I bet their draft success in on par or better than the rest of the league despite all the complaining by some guys around here.    

So have they jumped the shark?  Premature to say that.  This team has tried to remake itself while trying to be cap-conscious and innovative.  Give the coach more than one year to rebuild this team, and give Brady another year to work off the rust.  

I wouldn't write them off just yet.      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Jumped the shark? That expression makes as much sense as yor post, none at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

That there is anyone, anywhere with internet access who does not understand what it means to "jump the shark" baffles me. I mean, it's not like you have to be old enough to have seen Happy Days in its heyday to understand the reference. When I saw the title of this thread the first thing that occured to me was that use of the epithet "jumping the shark" has jumped the shark. Of course, Happy Days didn't invent this technique. When ratings began to dip for perennial powerhouse The Brady Bunch, the writers brought in a younger kid, cousin Oliver, to give the show a shot in the arm (it didn't). Now that may seem innoucuous enough all by itself, but why then, 25 years later (?) did producers of The Cosby Show name the kid they brought in, to supplant the aging Rudy, Olivia?  Was the comic genius, Cosby, actually paying homage to a tried-and-true formula by referencing the original? Somebody should be looking into this.

But what I really don't understand is why Pats fan is hemorraging over the brain trust doing what it has always done in the Kraft/Belichick era. Diving headfirst into free agency with labor unrest looming -- that would be jumping the shark  . . .   or Olivering, as it should be called. The Pats will be fine, but it's nice to see that there's at least a little panic in the streets. It keeps the rest of us amused.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The good thing is that BB has not had any romantic dalliances with Leather Tuscadero (signed big name FAs that don't put out). When the 2010 draft is over maybe Belichick will treat us all to some foot-long hot dogs at Arnold's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Cap,
    Up your nose with a rubber hose...skank troll that you are. ehhhhhhhhh

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

That reference made my day. "ehhhhhhhhh"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

You have to agree Bill over paid for Banta Cain.  Yes he had a few sacks but is hardly a dominate player.  Bill could have had him for half the price but didn't. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "?:
    In Response to Re: HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "? : Thinking anolog in a digital world
    Posted by poopsteo

Not sure if this is meant as a compliment, but that is how I will take it.

Just in case it isn't though I should point out that "anolog" is something you perform after coffee and if you are digitizing that, you should get to a doctor (medical or psychiatric) as soon as you can get your fingers out of your butt.

The term you (hopefully) want is analog.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "? : Not sure if this is meant as a compliment, but that is how I will take it. Just in case it isn't though I should point out that "anolog" is something you perform after coffee and if you are digitizing that, you should get to a doctor (medical or psychiatric) as soon as you can get your fingers out of your butt. The term you (hopefully) want is analog.
    Posted by EnochRoot

From someone dubbing hemselves "poop-stew"?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Otay .... MEA CULPA .

I confess my original intent with this Post was to STIR THE POT ( troll ) .

( In my defence I was pizzed off when BOLDIN got scooped up for a meazly 3rd & 4th by the frigg'in Ravens )

Upon further review I admit I erred with the the "JTS " reference
    ( As pointed out ~ if BB had gone against type and starting blowing up the teams cap by commiting to PEPPERS-esque contracts , Then it would have been the appropriate use of the term )

I also was confess I was a bit harsh on the "Do your Job " Lunch pail ability of Neal ( he's been solid enough ...it's just I can't get that image of the Colts Mathis blowing him up in the Indy game )

Big Vince was obviously a great re-sign ...my point was WHY get to the pt where u make him jump thru hoops to get the contract / respect he deserved , then franchise him for the 7 mil ... only to pay him big bucks anyway ?
      In my opinion this deal should have been hammered out months ago.

As far as Banta Cain goes ... I stand by assessment  ...  From what I saw  - I just don't believe he warrants that big a salary boost ( Yah , 10 1/2 sacks  is nice...but they were "soft " ...Can anybody remember a game changing monster sack or a 4th quarter game saving one ...For the most part they seemed to come when other team was desperate  and / or the game was already decided ...kind of like JD Drews Red Sox production  )

In regards to BB's drafting ability ~ I don't think he's the NFLs best , but he's far from the worst
    ( I also think he's the undisputed Champ of stock piling future draft picks vs the 
      I will not be shocked if the Pats  '10 season is their 1st non-winning one in a decade ( especially given all the holes that need adressing combined with what looks like a very tough schedule )
        I also would not be surprised if BB somehow fits all the pieces together and the Pats make some noise in the playoffs
     I.E . ~ Aquires a few role playing free agents / makes a couple trades to fill out gaps / drafts college talent that can contribute  & Gets meaningful contribution from some of the question mark /  inj'd players from last year /> Tate / McKenzie / Crable / Brace 

IN CONCLUSION ( crowd cheers )

I admit BB will probably never Jump the Shark ....

But if the ORTON -led  , soon to be Marshall-less BRONCOs impload again down the stretch in '10 ...

Joanie May Love Joshie

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "? : From someone dubbing hemselves "poop-stew"?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Excellent point. Probably many fingers stirring that pot.

I've just lost my appetite.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

The good thing is that BB has not had any romantic dalliances with Leather Tuscadero (signed big name FAs that don't put out). When the 2010 draft is over maybe Belichick will treat us all to some foot-long hot dogs at Arnold's.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

John, John, John, you have lost all crediblity with me. The correct name is Pinky Tuscadero.

As for the Fonz learning/not learning to water ski in Wisconsin, have any of you tried to learn?  It is easy.  Very easy.  I learned on my second try to stand up and made it around the lake without falling.  One of the easiest sports I have ever tried to do.  How dare you question the authenticy of the Fonz!

Back to football, I think it was a great first day.  In past years, the Pats usually lost star talent.  This year, they have retained the best of their free-agents and need only sign Bodden and Faulk to make the retention-side of F/A a complete success.

Let's face it, they have had a few misfires in the past two years in F/A.  I want to see what they do in the draft and the pre-season to accent the talent they have retained so far.  And I want them to sign Faulk, Gostowski and Brady to some nice contracts.  Sure, it would have been nice to get Boldin.  But it would soured negotiations with the forementioned F/As if those players' negotiations were put on the back burner (again).  The last thing this team needs is bad blood, after what happened last season.

By the way, how many of you saw the infamous episode in it's original airing?  I did, and I immediately sensed that I had witnessed something very, very pathetic.  But at least we got that classic cliche.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

I believe Pinky T had a sister, Leather (really showing my age here!!!!).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "?: I have been saying for two years that we will eventually pay for these mediocre drafts as the stud players get older. It began last year; there was enough talent to stay afloat for one last run, but this is looking grim. We let Boldin and Cromartie go cheap even though we have a ton of middling draft choices to toss out there. Last year's draft was a pure disaster....passed on so many good players in order to "stockpile" picks, rather than taking impact players. Suddenly, there are holes to fill, some big. We used to worry about picking up depth in the off season, not begging for starters. Now we are concerned about losing mediocrities like Bodden, asking if some bum like Sheppard is a great fit, overpaying an average one-dimensional player like Banta-Cain a boatload to stay. And Wolfork suddenly gets mega-dough? So now I have to look forward to the Dancing Bear at RB, who-knows-what if Brady goes down, no Welker, a suspect D, an aging O-Line, even Gostowski may bolt. BB had better add some mega-talent in this draft, and hope some of it can be instantly plugged in.
      So far ... The Pats have basically stood Pat .  Possibly overpaying an average D Player that may or may not have gotten anything close to his 3 year -nearly 19 million dollar contract  ( Banta -Cain )  Shoveling 40 million to a guy that they had under contract anyway for 7 mil (Wilfork ) and could have probably extended for less at any pt last year ( and skipped the bad blood altogether ) Resigning the weakest link on Offence ( Neal ) &  Signing a total of ZERO free agent guys thus far  &    Making Zero deals ( while rivals like Ravens add their possible missing link to a championship  /> Bolden )  & Considering even the most die hard fan would be hard pressed to point out BB's consistant Draft prowess ...especially in the early rounds.    Zero drafted Pro Bowlers since Mankins ( 05 ) ...unless u count Brandon "U-Turn " Merriweathers "excuse-me -but -nobody else wants -2 -play " invite from last year )    It's definitely getting tougher to swallow the "IN BILL WE TRUST " on draft days ( especially when he trades down for "value " and passes on Guys that can actually play ..OHER / MATTHEWS / MALEUGA / BYRD  ) So .... That said , IS IT POSSIBLE BILL HAS JUMPED THE SHARK ? ( I'M JUST ASKIN' ) NOTE :  If interested in my rebuttal to "Much deserved heat" : See page 2  
    Posted by CaptFoxboro

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "?: How about the Raiders consistent run from 1967 to well into the '80s. Would have won 6 SBs if Rozelle hadn't passed the word down to the refs to make sure they lost in the playoffs. As Gene Upshaw said, "If they had instant replay when I played, I'd have 6 SB rings."
    My only response to the jump the shark question is this:  Find me another franchise that has remainded consistently competitive over a decade while losing core players and coaches on a yearly basis. This team has been in the superbowl mix for almost 10 years; they won 3 and could've won a 4th despite being outplayed.  They've missed the playoffs twice (once with their QB out and with an 11-5 record).  Belichick and co. have had bad free agent pickups and bad draft picks.  But they consistently have multiple top picks via draft day trades and they take chances to use some of those picks to bring talent here (Moss, Welker, Burgess, others).  You hit big sometimes, you miss badly others.  I bet their draft success in on par or better than the rest of the league despite all the complaining by some guys around here.     So have they jumped the shark?  Premature to say that.  This team has tried to remake itself while trying to be cap-conscious and innovative.  Give the coach more than one year to rebuild this team, and give Brady another year to work off the rust.   I wouldn't write them off just yet.      
    Posted by BrooklineRob

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: HAS BELICHICK "JUMPED THE SHARK "?: Vince now has enough money and security to eat himself out of the league. An aging, grossly overweight specimen at a position where stars seem to get  knee injuries and the like at about this point in their careers. This is not a concern? And if he gets nicked, what is the incentive to rush back into the lineup?
    It has been just a little over 24 hours since free agency has started and we have resigned two of our best defensive players from last year. I would say that's a good start. Not signing Vince would have been disastrous in my opinion. On a team that lacked leadership from the players, I see him really stepping up this coming year. I remember his reaction to last years playoff loss. He was a very unhappy man. Now that he is locked up for five years and knows he's not going anywhere, look for him to become that new defensive leader they were lacking last year. There will be more free agents signed. It is very early.
    Posted by ricky1554atl

Sections
Shortcuts