Has Defense Proven Itself?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Has Defense Proven Itself?

http://www.boston.com/sports/video/?bctid=2710178598001&pconnect_name=271931

They've come a long way, baby.  Will be interesting to see how they manage w/o Wilfork and whether they will continue to improve for the rest of the season.  If Talib should go down.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Re: Has Defense Proven Itself?

Yes, the defense has proven itself. But if can they keep it up without VW is a different story. They are really thin at DT as of now, it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up against a solid all-round team like the Bengals.

If Benny or Bernard can run on them consistently it will be a bad omen for the rest of the season.

Supra societatem nemo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes they have come a long way. I thought last week was a great test and they passed quite well. 

Still they haven't reached this years potential. 

The loss of vw is concerning however. My fear is a good running team will exploit the middle. For whatever reason (ineptitude), I am not sure why the falcons didn't last game when vw went out. They should have pounded it up the gut but didn't. 

Bb the coach is now about to enter the place he excels at. Scheming and covering up deficiencies to cloak the loss of vw. I am interested to see how he handles it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Too early in the season to say anything is "proven."  I certainly like the way they've looked so far, but injuries could derail them and they haven't yet been tested enough by enough good offenses to say that someone won't expose a yet undiscovered weakness.  As is always the case, by game six or so we'll have a much better idea.  Right now, it's looking like the Broncos in week 12 are going to be the best regular-season test.  If they can stop them, I'll feel very good.  Saints are going to be the best near-term test--and that's week six. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

Yes, the defense has proven itself. But if can they keep it up without VW is a different story. They are really thin at DT as of now, it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up against a solid all-round team like the Bengals.

If Benny or Bernard can run on them consistently it will be a bad omen for the rest of the season.

Moving on w/o VW is the big question, isn't it?  And whether any progress might be affected by his absence?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes, bb said vw is not replaced with 1 person. That has dual meaning. First, no one on the roster can replace him because no one is his size or skill set. Two, it may take 2 guys to plug the middle and play the run, limiting what we do pressure wise. Meaning you keep spikes in the middle with vellano and they play it slightly differently to compensate for vws loss. This has ripple effects just like Talib going down last year did. I think they can still progress in vws absence. Vellano, Francis, getting better each week, armstead if he returns and plays well will be big boosts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

They've come a long way but I'm with Pro on this one, to early to tell. Atl has been the only challenge so far and they most definitely looked good but they are still giving up way to many plays between the 20's which against teams like Den is going to really hurt them and they still can't get consistent pressure on the opposing QB. It comes and goes with this D but now without Wilfork it might be even harder to get pressure which is never a good thing.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

They have so far but I always thought this could be a good unit as long as Talib and Dennard are out there. They truly change the dynamics because they can both play man press and like to mix it up and they hold their own. This allows us to be flexible on D and blitz when we want and take out # 1 WRs. So yes that is huge. ONe of them goes out, it doesnt look as good but we have improved in other areas but the Vince loss is big and we are gonna need the backers to step up.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If they can get and stay healthy, also keep dennard out of jail or prolonged suspension,  then I am looking forward to seeing where they are come thanksgiving time.

By then guys like Collins, Ryan, Harmon, Armstead, Vellano, Jones, Buchanan or Francis should all be much farther along and will be intersting to see who is able to help out in what way at that point compared to now.

Health is always the biggest thing and losing VW is already very painful.

It is interesting looking back at Walterfootballs 2013 DT rankings and seeing 4 of the top 22 on the Patriots right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The defense is the same as it was when Talib arrived and McCourty was moved. At that juncture it transformed from terrible to decent. Perhaps more time in this alignment has fine tuned that to something a bit better. But then the subtraction of Wilfork could be a bit of a downgrade, especially against the run. The jury remains out, but it being an elite D at this point remains highly doubtful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Come a long way? Maybe. Poven itself? NO NO NO NO

Proven means we can tell with some certainty and confidence that the D will be solid going forward. Some of us here including myself were anticipating the D to be in the top third of the league on score allowed. Can we say that now?

Whatever they did in the first three games is irrelevant to projectining how they will do in the following games. Projecting that they will be solid, based on their performance on one game (ATL), is BS.

VW was the centerpiece of that D. Having him there allows Kelly to be more aggressive at pushing forward. We may not ahve seen it yet in Kelly's numbers but I thought they were close to getting to where they needed to be with itnerior pressure.

Now that VW is gone, Kelly is expected to fill in VW's shoes. Effectively, they are back to where they were last year - the version that had Talib on the field.

Maybe BB has some schemes up his sleeve. His schemes were good enough only to get them to the middle half of the league in scores allowed. I don't see what has changed from last year to think that they will be better than that.

If they do, then great. But at this point, saying they are proven is irrational.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

No one can replace the intangible impact VW brings to the field, however with the right schemes and  replacements this team can hold its own in the run game. However, if we start to get bad at run defense our secondary will only look worse and our pass rush will be non-existent. I am looking to guys like Jones, Hightower, Spikes, Collins to step up; if just a handful of guys on defense can elevate their game by years end(preferably before the Broncos game) I think that could bring a dynamic to the defense that can alleviate the loss of VW.

I am with the wait and see approach, but we are a Talib injury away from a bottom 5 defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

They're certainly off to a very good start.  Considering that BB's defenses have a tendancy to improve, as the season moves along, I am feeling pretty optimistic.  Still, there is a very long way to go and given the loss of VW, this will be an interesting test for both the coaching staff and the defense.  It should be very interesting to see how this all develops.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Would I be allowed to answer this in February?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Would I be allowed to answer this in February?

Your approach is way too rational for these boards.... But yes

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Come a long way? Maybe. Poven itself? NO NO NO NO

Proven means we can tell with some certainty and confidence that the D will be solid going forward. Some of us here including myself were anticipating the D to be in the top third of the league on score allowed. Can we say that now?

Whatever they did in the first three games is irrelevant to projectining how they will do in the following games. Projecting that they will be solid, based on their performance on one game (ATL), is BS.

VW was the centerpiece of that D. Having him there allows Kelly to be more aggressive at pushing forward. We may not ahve seen it yet in Kelly's numbers but I thought they were close to getting to where they needed to be with itnerior pressure.

Now that VW is gone, Kelly is expected to fill in VW's shoes. Effectively, they are back to where they were last year - the version that had Talib on the field.

Maybe BB has some schemes up his sleeve. His schemes were good enough only to get them to the middle half of the league in scores allowed. I don't see what has changed from last year to think that they will be better than that.

If they do, then great. But at this point, saying they are proven is irrational.

They are 6th in points allowed, and will be top ten - again - by the end of the year. 13th in yards per play allowed, but a lot of teams were pretty even in that regard. Almost top ten in 3rd down conversion coming in at 11....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Yes, bb said vw is not replaced with 1 person. That has dual meaning. First, no one on the roster can replace him because no one is his size or skill set. Two, it may take 2 guys to plug the middle and play the run, limiting what we do pressure wise. Meaning you keep spikes in the middle with vellano and they play it slightly differently to compensate for vws loss. This has ripple effects just like Talib going down last year did. I think they can still progress in vws absence. Vellano, Francis, getting better each week, armstead if he returns and plays well will be big boosts.

I totally forgot about Armstead.  I was reading up on him online because I don't know much about him and read that he had a heart attack while at USC.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/patriots-armond-armstead-in-good-condition-after-surgery-for-infection/

Has anyone heard any news on him or seen him at practice?  I was excited when they signed him as he proved to be one of the best linemen in the CFL last year.

*Edit: found my answer here... Armstead is eligable to join practice in week 7 and is making good progress after his infection:  http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/10/1/4791094/armond-armstead-still-an-option-for-patriots

This article also includes the date, October 13th against the Saints.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4750184/checking-in-on-armond-armstead-2

Sections
Shortcuts