Has everyone forgotten about the draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Has everyone forgotten about the draft?

All I hear on this board is that the Patriots haven't made moves, that they've been "quite," and that they are done as a team. Most people seem to be questioning the offseason moves and fans of other teams are coming in here and fanning the flames.

What we have is a Patriots team that was in rebuilding mode last year and still won 10 games and made it to the playoffs. Sure they have holes, all teams do. What all teams don't have is four draft picks in the first two rounds in a draft that is one of the deepest ever.

Please, before you question BB or the front office please remember there is a draft left in the offseason. All free agents haven't been signed either. Calm down people, the Patriots are in a very good situation here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Has everyone forgotten about the draft?

In Response to Re: Has everyone forgotten about the draft?:
    +1 to all of that.  I don't know why people are freaking out about what the Jets/Dolphins have done. Something those two teams don't have - an elite QB.  Henne is better than Sanchez (the human turnover).  But now the Jets look like they're going to rely more on the pass than the run (which is what they did when they lost 6 of 7 last season).  It's not like the Jets just signed Peyton Manning and the Dolphins just got Drew Brees.. so CALM DOWN!! Pats still have the best coach and the best QB, which goes a LONG way toward getting wins.
    Posted by jasonh86

Probably because the Jets and Fins are picking up some well known players AND they are division rivals - which is pretty import when it counts for 6 games. We seem to split with the Jets and Fins (and we usually take two from the Bills) - so, if we lose an "extra" game to the Jets of Fins - it may make a difference by the end of the year....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

first off the draft isnt going to be an immidiate help to our holes and needs. although MAYBE long term debending IF the ppl drafted are able to transition to the nfl. yes there is ppl left in FA and there is a reason they are all still there...they are either old and run down or they are problematic and not good enough. yes the jets dotn have manning and dolphins with brees and yes we do have bb and brady and we won 10 games and made the playoffs(REBUILDING)...but just them two isnt enough and brady isnt getting any younger.( he is still a beast!) they need people around them that contribute,,not all drafted rookies...im sure BB has something up his sleeve for draft day and we all say "WTeFF?! Didnt see that happening" so ill try to remain optimistic, even though how badly i wanted some of these TOP FA... its just nerve racking at times!!! lol

GO PATS

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

+1 to all of that.  I don't know why people are freaking out about what the Jets/Dolphins have done. Something those two teams don't have - an elite QB.  Henne is better than Sanchez (the human turnover).  But now the Jets look like they're going to rely more on the pass than the run (which is what they did when they lost 6 of 7 last season).  It's not like the Jets just signed Peyton Manning and the Dolphins just got Drew Brees.. so CALM DOWN!! Pats still have the best coach and the best QB, which goes a LONG way toward getting wins.
    Posted by jasonh86

I have to agree with you, there are people left for the Patriots to pick up on and the draft should be interesting. The Free agents right now are a problem lot and too much money, lets just hope who ever is drafted works out well for the Patriots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

One thing that bothers me is the jets got a darn good reciever for a 5th round pick, a guy that is very dangerous in both long and intermediate routes. We usually get a guard converted center that gets burried on the practice squad and is never seen again for our fifth round picks.

Another thing that bothers me is the fins got maybe the best wide reciever in the game, a real impact player that you have to account for on every play for a couple of second round picks. We have drafted some very poor recievers with second round picks. I would have taken the sure thing player. To think we could of had one of these players leads me to believe they were asleep at the wheel.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

Guys, the Patriots are in the drivers seat in this draft. Coach Belichek has all the flexibility he needs to make almost anything happen and I expect the Pats to be the team that really shapes the direction of this draft. I don't see them laying back as Tom Brady will not be playing forever. Then after the draft lets see what really happens with the RFA pool. I think that by that time they will have some real leverage there! In the meantime the Jets and the Dolphins are just burning up payroll.  I trust Bob Kraft and Coach Belichek to make the right moves. Four Super Bowls in Eight yrs. winning three. What have the Jets or Miami done since 1973!   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Has everyone forgotten about the draft? : Do you know what the "best coach and the (second) best QB" gets you?  A first round exit.  Looks like you're gonna need more than that.
    Posted by bjesuss

Well, they did get three superbowls last decade. How many superbowls did the Jets or dolphins have in the last decade? Oh that's right, they have to go back to the 60's and 70's since their last superbowl win...

Hayley is right, the Pats are in the drivers seat here. They can really make anything happen with all their picks. Also, with four picks in the first two rounds, i'm sure the Pats will pick a couple winners. Last year was a great draft and I think the Pats can continue on that success.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

Thanks for abiding dude, I agree.  The next two years draft class are going to define the post 3 in 4 years dynastic BB.  

And probably incorrectly, BB the GM.  

His status as a coach will never be in question, but his GM tenure has been seen in some eyes (not mine) as rocky.  These two drafts will determine what history thinks of BB the GM.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Clearly there is no better way to spend April than whining about what might happen in September.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Clearly there is no better way to spend April than whining about what might happen in September.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

True, I guess we could be whining about people whining about what might happen in september.

P.S. The draft is in April

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HartLeeDykesEuguneChung. Show HartLeeDykesEuguneChung's posts

How long are Marshal and Santonio HOlmes contracts?  I believe Holmes is up after this year, and he is suspended for the first four games.  The Pats under BB and Kraft have built for today and tomorrow.  I agree that few rookies make a real impact for the Pats, and all the holes we have seemingly have to be filled in the draft this year, but BB has surprised me every draft, from Mankins to the Moss deal to trading picks.  He knows he has needs at OLB, WR and TE, BB always knows.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

You build a team with draft picks.  This is every teams foundation.  FA is expensive and a bit of a gamble. 

The Jets are a house of cards and are made to go for it next year, that's it.  Contracts are coming up and a mass exodus is coming.  With the 4 game suspension and time to knock some rust off the Jets have Holmes for maybe 10 games.  LT doesn't scare anybody any more.  Cromartie isn't a shutdown CB.  San Diego couldn't wait to get rid of his sorry butt.

Miami gave up a lot to get a troubled but talented WR.  I don't know if I would have done it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i think its time we call up Terrell Owens and ask him if he wants a Superbowl Ring

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Has everyone forgotten about the draft?:
    All I hear on this board is that the Patriots haven't made moves, that they've been "quite," and that they are done as a team. Most people seem to be questioning the offseason moves and fans of other teams are coming in here and fanning the flames. What we have is a Patriots team that was in rebuilding mode last year and still won 10 games and made it to the playoffs. Sure they have holes, all teams do. What all teams don't have is four draft picks in the first two rounds in a draft that is one of the deepest ever. Please, before you question BB or the front office please remember there is a draft left in the offseason. All free agents haven't been signed either. Calm down people, the Patriots are in a very good situation here.
    Posted by magicalhobo

Replace the word Patriots with the word Bruins, BB with PC, and you could post this post in a Bruins thread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Cromartie isn't as good as Revis, but who is?  Who has two shut down corners?  Or for that matter, who has two receivers that you need two shutdown corners?  Not the Pats, obviously.  The Jets might - after game 4.
    Posted by bjesuss

Who has a proven future HOF QB?  Not the Jets.

The Pats do have Moss. We're unsure of Welker's status but all reports show he's ahead of schedule in his rehab and if he's healthy that's two receivers you need two shutdown corners for. Edelman looks like the second coming of Welker. You never know, Tate could emerge like Collie and Garcon did for Indy. He should at least be a good 3rd receiver.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

How long are Marshal and Santonio HOlmes contracts?  I believe Holmes is up after this year, and he is suspended for the first four games.  The Pats under BB and Kraft have built for today and tomorrow.  I agree that few rookies make a real impact for the Pats, and all the holes we have seemingly have to be filled in the draft this year, but BB has surprised me every draft, from Mankins to the Moss deal to trading picks.  He knows he has needs at OLB, WR and TE, BB always knows.....
    Posted by HartLeeDykesEuguneChung

Holmes is only signed for 2010.  Marshall signed a new contract with the Dolphins, essentially $50 million for 5 years (with $25 million guaranteed).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I think that the Patriots will indeed have a very long, long year ahead of themselves.  This isn't soley based on the moves that were made by the Jets and Dolphins, but also that Wes Welker will miss several games, our running game is mediocre at best, and most importantly....we struggled to win road games last season (which absolutely has to change this year or forget any notion of winning the division or making the playoffs). 

The Patriots are a team in transition.  I don't think the Patriots are locks to win the division anymore but they do have the ammunition to put themselves back in the drivers' seat so long as they make really good moves over the next 2-3 drafts.  They can no longer draft chemistry guys that fit their system and think that will suffice in and of itself.  They need some bonafide playmakers on both sides of the ball.

If we can't get Brandon Graham and Dez Bryant is still available, then I feel that we need to take him.  If we do end up taking him in the first round, then I'd even go so far as to take another WR in the 2nd round as well.  I don't think Moss will be re-signed after next season which is the last  year on his current deal, and we also lack a #2 WR.