Has Moss lost his desire and ability?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Has Moss lost his desire and ability?

The first half of 2007, Moss looked like the old Moss before the Raiders.  He took the ball out of the air, it seemed, no matter where it was thrown.  He didn't wait for the ball to come to him, He would go up and get it, or even take it away from 1,2, or 3 defenders.  After that and through Sunday, I feel he has stopped doing this completely.  I have seen a number of throws so far this year where the ball is there, he is covered pretty well, and the defender goes up and takes the ball out of Randy's hands because he waits for the ball, and not at all like the old Moss.  He never seems to change his speed and go all out for the ball, or go up and out jump the D for the ball.  

He is easily blanketed by defenders every week, especially when it is important.  Jerry Rice never got blanketed until he was 2 years beyond NFL skills.

I have watched them both, and Moss seems to be lacking that higher level of play he used to have.  
    He is definitely not a top 5 receiver the past year or so.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Re: Has Moss lost his desire and ability?

Your depresing me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

So you are a fan of one of those New Jersey teams, but I'll play the game.

1. Revis is an elite CB.  There is no shame in being limited by an elite CB.  Your a fan of their team, so you should know he was good.  

2. Easily blanketed?  He set a record in 2007.  Of course teams adjusted to him some and his production declined a bit in the latter part of 2007.  Teams were game planning to stop him.  That opened up opportunities for others.

3. Was he held in check in game 1?  No.

Are you hoping we'll cut him so you can pick him up?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

moss hasn't lost anything. right now the Raiders have much better balance on offense than the Patriots and other teams know if they can slow down the Brady to Moss attack, that is all we have.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

I'm a total Pats fan, and I can tell you that he is nothing like he was in early 07.  He never goes up and gets the ball, he is being out played every time the ball is up for grabs.  Watch him closely.  And please don't say it's the other teams D.  Jerry Rice was always in the right place at the right time.  Never saw him not get open at the most important times.  Look at the SB Pats team.  Very below avg receivers and they were all clutch.  Randy is no longer clutch.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GzaGenius21. Show GzaGenius21's posts

didn't he just have 12 catches for 100+ yds against the bills?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyBradyFan. Show LadyBradyFan's posts

Agree with you quasi

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from codered43092. Show codered43092's posts

are you serious? he had 12 catches last week for 142 yards, and because he has a bad game, hes all of a suddenly lost his ability. please. wow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Has Moss lost his desire and ability?:
    I'm a total Pats fan, and I can tell you that he is nothing like he was in early 07.  He never goes up and gets the ball, he is being out played every time the ball is up for grabs.  Watch him closely.  And please don't say it's the other teams D.  Jerry Rice was always in the right place at the right time.  Never saw him not get open at the most important times.  Look at the SB Pats team.  Very below avg receivers and they were all clutch.  Randy is no longer clutch.  
    Posted by quasi

Nice try Leon.  Do you need to pause for a second before you have a conversation with yourself?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Agree with you quasi
    Posted by LadyBradyFan

Nice try Leon.  Is this this account you use when you are getting in touch with your feminine side?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Posted by quasi

You are joking right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

As has been said, criticism is fine, giving up after just two games and making such a snap judgement about a player in demise is another thing.  Would you have said this last week?  I think not!!  You must think every week Moss has to have 10 catches and 100 yards or he is ready to be put to pasture.  Also, for LadyBrady Fan to agree so readily, is a sure sign of one and the same poster using two aliases.  Too coincidental! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

He doesn't seem to be as much of a deep threat as he used to be. Not sure if that's because of a drop off in Moss's ability or just a change in play calling (or a reaction to the defenses he's been facing). He seems to be catching a lot over the middle though, so I wouldn't say he's slacking off.  I also thought he made a pretty good effort to tackle the DB after the interception. So I think Moss is working hard--but I think it's pretty obvious that he's not getting open on the deep routes as much.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Moss's strength is down the field and making great catches by beating everyone else to the ball with aggression.  Now he is averaging a little over 10 yds a catch and he never seems to be there when it really counts.

I am not talking about last year, I am sepaking about Oakland where attitude and making catches were pretty bad.  Now he seems to still have a Pats attitude, but he gets beat to almost all the long balls.  He is not aggressive.  This has been happening since about midseason of 2007.  Not just yesterday.  He is our big playmaker, our Jerry Rice, and he is not even in the same league with all his dropped passes put him in TO's class with a better attitude.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston006. Show boston006's posts

RANDY MOSS will have a good year as the PATS will...  It's early and they just had the Wake-Up call.  WATCH and SEE...  Go PATS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Randy is no longer clutch." Probably deserves a permanent ban from the board for saying something that dumb. Like any player his age, Moss won't be quite as good as he was two years ago. But you will see some great plays from him by the time the season is done. A bigger problem is Galloway, unless you have some rhythm on that side Moss will be blanketed and his production will be affected. Give this a bit of time before you write people off with exaggerated statements.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

ok lady leon. why dont you go watch that MJ movie you are soooo excited about.

Agree with you quasi
    Posted by LadyBradyFan

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

16 catches in 2 games. You are right he is slacking big time!!!!

/s

Moss has already caught more passes, in traffic, than I have ever seen him do. A reciever lacking desire, doesn't go over the middle. The long ball has not hit it's stride yet, when it does, he will.

In the meantime, I'm glad to see him help move the chains, now if we would stop abandoning the run so soon, maybe we could have some playaction to help open the deep ball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to Has Moss lost his desire and ability?:
    The first half of 2007, Moss looked like the old Moss before the Raiders.  He took the ball out of the air, it seemed, no matter where it was thrown.  He didn't wait for the ball to come to him, He would go up and get it, or even take it away from 1,2, or 3 defenders.  After that and through Sunday, I feel he has stopped doing this completely.  I have seen a number of throws so far this year where the ball is there, he is covered pretty well, and the defender goes up and takes the ball out of Randy's hands because he waits for the ball, and not at all like the old Moss.  He never seems to change his speed and go all out for the ball, or go up and out jump the D for the ball.   He is easily blanketed by defenders every week, especially when it is important.  Jerry Rice never got blanketed until he was 2 years beyond NFL skills. I have watched them both, and Moss seems to be lacking that higher level of play he used to have.   He is definitely not a top 5 receiver the past year or so.
    Posted by quasi

One other thing, my son noticied and pointed out to me that during the first half Moss was huffing and puffing quite a bit and sure enough on the replay he was, he hadn't done anything to warrant that situation he was just out of breath. A couple of plays later the announcer basically said Moss down shifted on a particular pass play, so whats going on? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Guys, hw drops almost as many passes as TO, and he never takes initiative to go after the ball.  Even Sunday, he could maybe have knocked the ball down before the interception, but he seems to always let the ball come to him in traffic.  Just cause he is a Patriot, and WAS great, that he still is.  He doesn't complain, but he shows no passion for the ball.  We lost at least one or 2 games last year because of many dropped balls, or not going after the catch.   Since midseason of 07, he is a little above average as a receiver.

Great players step up in big games like Rice, 3 times the player Moss is, and he never disappeared in a big game till he was way over the hill physically.  

Jedinate, we did not get him to be a possession receiver.  He catches the ball across the middle and he drops down right away.  He is the guy to open things up, and he can't seem to find the ball when the big play is needed down field.  He used to just take it out of the sky, or DBs hands.

Donspartucus, He may be tired, but he doesn't seem to go after the ball.

I wish he'd get back in tune as a great receiver downfield.

BostonTroilSpanker, I am only saying he is no longer great, and he doesn't have a nose for the ball, and it's been years since he has been clutch except for the 1st half of 07, and after that, the league figured him and the offense out, and now it will not go anywhere untill they get their ground game to where it was last year, and just like the Colts, these great offenses can be stopped cold in big playoff games.   Manning's great offenses average about 12 points in their playoff losses because they choke, rely to much on passing game, and the papers would talk about their defense who played pretty well, and the Pats of 07 only scored 14 points in the SB 2 years ago.  They need a great runnning game, and a deep receiver who can get open downfield and catch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Why does this subject sound like an ad for erectile dysfunction?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

Dude, you should check the game log of Moss's when he was in his prime in Minni, there were a lot of 4 catches 30 yards games. That's just the way it is, he is gonna have more good games than bad games. Moss is a type of guy who is gonna catch around 90 balls a year in this offense, over 16 games it is 5.625 catch/game. He is not gonna be doing 6,6,6,5,5 in a 5 game stretch to average 5.625, he is gonna be doing 12,2,2,9,3 to average 5.625. That's what a deep threat is. There will be year where he get 100-115 balls, but that will mean that he go over the middle a bit more (this could very much be that year). He probably has lost a bit of speed and jumping ability, but still. You lost faith on him after one deep ball that was picked off and it was overthrown, not even his foult.

Can't really say anything about last year cuz Cassel can't throw deep, we all know that. There were many time Moss was wide open last year and Cassel missed him deep. You can't compare Rice to Moss, it is comparing Apple to Orange. Rice was never the deep threat Moss was. Rice was more of a combination of Moss and Welker, a do it all type. Welker shows up in clutch, he gets alot of 3rd down. So does that mean Welker is better than Moss? Without Moss taking away defenders, or forcing the def to blitz Brady fearing that having too much time will mean more deep ball to moss opens up Welker. That's how this game works. You can't have both way.

Not to mention Rice played in a west coast offense. Alot of it is getting him the ball and see what he does type of short route. We have Welker to do that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Pochen, that's why Rice was so much better.  He can get the deep ball better than anyone because he was always in great position, and so his catches never seem spectacular, and he was great after the catch and I never, ever saw anyone catch him from behind.

I could never put Moss in his class.  Rice could never be shut down.  He ran great patterns, read defenses, and was always there at crunch time where Moss has disappeared so many times in the clutch in 2 plus years, I had to put out a missing persons report.

I used to love Moss, but after what he's done here and Oakland, he is no longer a superstar in the sense of football greatness.  He is very good and can be spectacular, but he hides from the ball and drops too many passes at crunch time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

So because hes in your opinion not as good as Jerry Rice, he's suddenly not a great receiver???  That's like me saying, man Tom Brady didn't look as good as Joe Montana last week, he's just not a great player anymore.  As for him "not being clutch" did you not watch the jets game late last year??? When with time expiring and under great coverage from Ty Law he made the game tying TD with a ridiculous catch? Sorry but to say that he is no longer a dynamic player, and that he doesn't attack the ball anymore is just false. He had a poor week and made some poor plays against a very good cornerback.....thats it. The only time i've ever seen him not show full effort was in '07 against the Eagles, at times he looked dis-interested.  Other than that he's been, and imo will continue to be, a good teammate, hard worker, and dynamic player.

PS-after the buffalo game i read somewhere (can't remember where sorry) that Moss told the other receivers hed be at Gillete bright and early Tues (the day off for players) to study film.  If that's not dedication to the team and to his craft, dude i dunno what is.  

Sections
Shortcuts