Has Moss lost his desire and ability?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Re: Has Moss lost his desire and ability?

Ok guys, My main complaint is he doesn't fight for the ball in traffic on his deep routs, which is why we got him, and not to go across the middle as his main routs have become.  

Aikman explained it just as I did on that long throw down around the 5 yd line.  Once again he didn't slow down and set himself up to out jump the DB and get into position to make the catch.  He didn't and Aikman clearly pointed this out.  We have Welker and Edelman to go across the middle and Moss to go deep and open the short pass across the middle.  It's not about 12 catches for 90 yds, it's about plays that change the game, and he rarely does it since the 1st half of 07.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochrist. Show rochrist's posts

In Response to Re: Has Moss lost his desire and ability?:
    [QUOTE]Ok guys, My main complaint is he doesn't fight for the ball in traffic on his deep routs, which is why we got him, and not to go across the middle as his main routs have become.   Aikman explained it just as I did on that long throw down around the 5 yd line.  Once again he didn't slow down and set himself up to out jump the DB and get into position to make the catch.  He didn't and Aikman clearly pointed this out.  We have Welker and Edelman to go across the middle and Moss to go deep and open the short pass across the middle.  It's not about 12 catches for 90 yds, it's about plays that change the game, and he rarely does it since the 1st half of 07.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

You understand that he was playing with a back so bad he couldn't even dress himself and had to be helped, right?

This is dumbfuckery at its finest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Randy Moss 2d half of 2007=  51 rec.  12 td's  714 yds.  I don't know why you insist that his effectiveness ended at the half way mark of 2007 Quasi.  He got shut down against a very good Jets defense, so what.  He is the reason the Pats won the game yesterday.  Kept the chains moving, went to the slot when he realized that Galloway is useless.  If he was indeed hurt, that makes his performance yesterday that much more impressive.  Are the Pats a better team without him? 

As for comparing anyone to Jerry Rice, it's just unfair.  He's the best player ever at any position, like Gretzky in hockey, there's really no argument.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Hello Quasi,

I think you should have retitled your post, "Does Moss use his body to fight for the deep ball at its apex?" Questioning his desire and ability in light of his still impressive production seems odd.

While Moss is still an elite (Top 3 or 4) receiver in the league, I agree with you 100% that he allows defenders to knock away long throws that he should simply TAKE away with his incredible athletic gifts. In the second to last play of the Super Bowl against the Giants, Brady slightly underthrew a long ball that would have put us in position for a tying field goal. Moss kind of ran through the ball, which allowed the defender to knock it away at less than the highest point. He did that again on a deep ball against the Falcons on Sunday, which brought that Super Bowl play back to mind.

Anyway, I think it's something he and the coaches will see on film, and make the proper adjustments.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

you obviously didnt see him dancing on the sideline.  he has not lost an ounce of his desire to win.  he is a competitor.  brady is still trying to get back to where he was and until that happens we wont have those big randy moss plays we are used to. maybe its just me but i'll take 10 catches for 116 yards out of him any day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

It's easy to sit on your couch, watch replays and say Moss is not going after the ball aggressively, agree with the other guy, dumbfuckery at its finest.

When Moss is inactive next week with a bad back you'll be calling him a wuss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

I think Moss in his prime is pretty close if not better than Rice in his prime. You have to remember that Moss never had an accurate QB throwing him the ball. All the QBs in his Minni days were those with good arm but no accuracy type. However, thanks to those inaccurate arms, Moss probably made more improbable catches than Jerry ever had to make.

Just youtube some of Moss's highlights, so many spectacular catches. Rice runs more smoothly and always seem to catch the ball on the run (probably faster too in changing direction, Moss got better pure straight line speed. Check out some of the screen pass turn into TD in his Minni days, unbelievable speed), Moss always have to wait for the ball to get there (you get the sense on different level of QBs by watching those highlights).

I understand the topic isn't about who is better, but I definitely enjoy Moss's style more, at least during his prime. As for now, he obviously lost a step and some big play ability, but he isn't young anymore. Rice at Moss's age wasn't putting up crazy YPC or YAC stats either, but both were able to pile up yards when needed. As for losing desire, I don't think so, he still wants a ring, so we will see. Imaging Moss plays with Montana and Young during his prime.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Your sound like that idiot Jaws on MNF. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Moss just have ten grabs in the last game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]Pochen, that's why Rice was so much better.  He can get the deep ball better than anyone because he was always in great position, and so his catches never seem spectacular, and he was great after the catch and I never, ever saw anyone catch him from behind. I could never put Moss in his class.  Rice could never be shut down.  He ran great patterns, read defenses, and was always there at crunch time where Moss has disappeared so many times in the clutch in 2 plus years, I had to put out a missing persons report. I used to love Moss, but after what he's done here and Oakland, he is no longer a superstar in the sense of football greatness.  He is very good and can be spectacular, but he hides from the ball and drops too many passes at crunch time.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

Retards haven't been banned from these forums yet?

Moss has had some very big catches for the pats.......I wonder what your defination of "crunch time" is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

And the only receiver I would take over Moss right now is Larry F.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

At times I have to agree with you.  But Moss is the animal that he is.  Thankfully, after purgatory in Oakland I think he has opened his eyes and recognizes what he has in Brady.  At times he does seem out of step but I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Moss is aware of his surroundings.  I mean how many great recievers wouldn't want Brady throwing him the ball?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoochiemgg. Show hoochiemgg's posts

[QUOTE]Ok guys, My main complaint is he doesn't fight for the ball in traffic on his deep routs, which is why we got him, and not to go across the middle as his main routs have become.   Aikman explained it just as I did on that long throw down around the 5 yd line.  Once again he didn't slow down and set himself up to out jump the DB and get into position to make the catch.  He didn't and Aikman clearly pointed this out.  We have Welker and Edelman to go across the middle and Moss to go deep and open the short pass across the middle.  It's not about 12 catches for 90 yds, it's about plays that change the game, and he rarely does it since the 1st half of 07.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE] This just in............Randy Moss has more receptions than any other receiver in the NFL. The sideline catch for a first down in the forth quarter was awesome. Two out of three games over 100 yards nursing a bad back. Pats need to dump him for a game changer but I doubt any team would want him because he won't fight for the ball. Wait....he's out of breath from running consecutive deep routes............hurry......trade him........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

Dumbest post ever.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 671Chay. Show 671Chay's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a total Pats fan, and I can tell you that he is nothing like he was in early 07.  He never goes up and gets the ball, he is being out played every time the ball is up for grabs.  Watch him closely.  And please don't say it's the other teams D.  Jerry Rice was always in the right place at the right time.  Never saw him not get open at the most important times.  Look at the SB Pats team.  Very below avg receivers and they were all clutch.  Randy is no longer clutch.  
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

you're a spoiled brat (lol).

teams matured and like the earlier post here, teams do a game plan on him. 

for example, Coach BB prepared for Tony Gonzales. so if Tony Gonzales production decline, his no longer clutch or dont jump or whatever?

thats a ridiculous analogy of how Moss was in 07 and now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Just think when Brady gets more consistent in the passing game what kind of games Randy Moss will be putting up. Plus start adding in Wes Welker on a consistent basis and this passing game will take off. However I do hope they pound the rock a little more this year as well. They got a good running game and would like to see them keep teams off-balanced.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Moss is 5th in the NFL in recieving.
     He is 44 yards out of first place.

Moss has done this even though Brady is rusty and Welker has been hurt.

Not bad for a washed up lazy player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

No, I believe Randy, like the receivers, need time to adjust to Tom just as Tom needs time to adjust to the speed of the game, and the opponents who are coming at him faster & with increased frequency, to test him.

The loss of Jabney & Brown completely, and temporary loss of Welker, more focus is put on Randy.  He played an oustanding game when one considers the shape of his back which he knew had a target painted on it.  A man without desire doesn't put himself out there under those circumstances.  As for his ability, with the way Tom's passing, right now, and the short amount of time Tom was given in games 1&2 Randy did a fine job.

With the offense's recent discovery of the talented Fred Taylor's ball running, I beleive we'll see pressure taken off Tom, and allowing the wide outs more time to run their pattarns.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Wizardsjag, about the running game, it's what killed us in 07, and the blitz just came and came.  I like Moss, I still feel he drops way too many passes and doesn't get himself in position on the long throws which allows these DBs to break up the play.  His stats are good, but his strength is in opening up the field, and he isn't doing it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]Dumbest post ever.
    Posted by rabbrandy[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't give this guy that much credit.  Make it the third-dumbest post, behind the posts saying Brady should be traded and BB should be fired.

Before I read that Moss was playing with a bad back (I belong to the Bad Back Club, though my chiropractor has worked miralces), I still thought this post ridiculous.  Now with that insight, plus the fact that he leads the NFL in catches, it just goes to show how off-target this post was.  And I don't for a minute believe Quasi is a Pats' fan.

Keep up the good work, Randy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]Wizardsjag, about the running game, it's what killed us in 07, and the blitz just came and came.  I like Moss, I still feel he drops way too many passes and doesn't get himself in position on the long throws which allows these DBs to break up the play.  His stats are good, but his strength is in opening up the field, and he isn't doing it.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

The running game "killed us" in 2007???  Really?  Please stop typing. Just read for second.

The Pats lost one game of 19 in 2007.  One.  Nothing "killed" them.  If the running game killed them, they would not have made the play-offs., let alone came within one play of winning the SB. Clearly, you do not understand that BB reserved the runing backs, which had been hurt all season, for the latter part of the season and the play-offs.  Once at that point, the running game was solid.

The reason they lost the SB is because the offensive game adjustments were not forthcoming.  Cleary, Brady needed more dink-and-dunk passes, instead going for one bomb after another.  This would have kept the Giants pass rush in check and kept them from pressuring Brady. In the one series in which they employed this method, they scored the go-ahead TD. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late. After the Giants socred nexty, the Pats didn't have enough time on the clock to dink-and-dunk, hence they went back to the failed long-ball strategy and lost. 

You seem to be a pedestrian football fan, maybe fairweather, and have not picked up these subtleties.  It's OK to voice your opinion, but please be a little more responsible.  We don't need a curious Moss reading your ill-conceived posts and be put off of his game.  But if I am right about you trolling, then I guss that is your objective afterall.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Let's revisit this question now. After game 3, he leads the league in rec. and is 5th in yards AND is playing with a sore back. I won't question his desire OR ability.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Chrisakawoody, It's funny how the running game was much better than 07, and the Pats offense was much better down the stretch going into the playoffs if they had made it.  If Cassell had played more in the past, the offense would have been even better.  I said it all last year that the 09 Pats are going to win it all this year unless they run as they did last year, and they finally showed it against the Falcons.  The Pats put the ball up too many times in 07, and by midseason, the league figured out Moss and the long ball, taking him out of most games, yes we won but struggled terribly against terrible teams like the Ravens and Eagles.  I knew this when I went to the Bills game early in the year, and we were all about the passing games, TD passes and TD catches and making history winning the SB.  Not one word did I hear on ESPN in press conferences about the Giants, the team we were playing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

The guy is on pace for over 130 receptions and 1500+ yards......maybe we should cut him a little slack. Didn't he get 10 catches last Sunday with a bad back?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Isn't quasi the guy that said we should trade cassel because he thought he was as good as Brady?

Sections
Shortcuts