HAS PATS-JETS PRESENTLY SURPASSED SOX-YANKS AS THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

HAS PATS-JETS PRESENTLY SURPASSED SOX-YANKS AS THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS?

was great watching last nite as the sox won again. but its not the same. i dont feel true hatred anymore, the true personalities and characters are all long gone as the corporate-types have taken over. nothing could beat the intensity of the 2003-2004 days and even in 2007. this is no one's fault. the pats-jets equivalent is now much better. they have stepped up their game even beyond the 2003-2004 sox-yanks heydey period. if anything, the new sox are now the old yanks as the new yanks have transformed into the old sox. today's pats reign supreme in the old yanks role as the jets are now stuck in the old sox role. ese two teams have battled over coaches, players, schemes, espionage, etc. there have been mega-fines, grudges, violence, comic relief, tragedies and so on. the owners dont like each other, the coaches dont like each other, the players hate each other and enjoy each others' misery. it goes on in the off-season, during the season, etc. both teams are built to make sure they beat each other. 

they are each other's ultimate measuring stick. even the most classy no-drama players become muddy chickens when the other team is dared to be mentioned. WITH ONLY 16 games and a liberal wild card system, the games truly matter. the sox beat the yanks in a conference/divisional final type game, but lets face it everyone knows the fix is in. both teams will make the playoffs regardless of what anyone does from this point forward. its not as meaningful. with jets-pats, no such luxury. 

just yesterday, the pats landed a jet free agent defensive end sean ellis who beat our brains in during last years' playoffs in of course his most dominat game of the year. here's where the grudge really comes out. sean represents the draft pick traded to the jets when our present genius coach left the jets and the great parcells (pats super bowl coach who was double-dealing behind the scenes and decided to fly with the jets leadership rather than with his own team after the big game). the yanks-sox just dont have such hatred or cards to play like an ellis. he was offered a one-year deal by the jets. to clearly spite them and show the ultimate venom, he pretty much took the same deal to come and play for the pats as a relative backup without the same team power and clout. 

i though the jets coach was going to cry during his press conference yesterday afternoon. he was really incensed and boiling for he grasped the unmistakable symbolism of such poaching. would be if kevin faulk refused to sign with the pats  but went to the jets for the exact same amount in a far less role. last year, it was woodhead (his real name), now its sean ellis. seems to be a one-way thing, in same way yanks always got the clemens and boggs (or that ruth guy) and we always got stuck with the ramiro mendozas (bernie williams in his peak would have been a great get). this rivalry is now like a college football one. imagine FL state and miami, alabama-auburn and such.. the 2 most intense and hyped games will be the two with the jets bar none. sox rivalry with the yanks is now more like the pats rivalry with the colts. of course it matters but its like two gentleman who fully respect and envy each other for supremacy. 

if pats destroyed the jets but lost in the first round, there would be many happy fans. almost seems like if pats won the super bowl but got destroyed along the way by the jets, it would be an incomplete year. pats fans now more about the jets than many know about their own team. unlike baseball,  where the yanks always blow out the poorer sox and everyone else with their payroll and first ballot HOF'rs, in football, there 's more salary parity so it all comes down to schemes, coaches, smarts and passion. again, yanks-sox are both corporate teams, same personality. both GMs are interchangeable. the only glaring difference is with the owners or ownership structure. with pats-jets, everything is different (both off and on the field) from top to bottom. total contrast in personality, approach, between the coaches, owners, food spread, boundaries,etc.

so yeah move over sox-yanks, its about to be all about the pats-jets in a month. used to be boston was a sox town, now its all about pats nation. still want my sox to win it all to keep the titletown thing going and to keep NY frustrated but its just not the same even if we beat the yanks in the process. we are now the yanks' daddies. the jets have beaten us more times with ryan then we've beaten them, and all the games have been memorable, be it in blowouts or nailbiters! its the best sports have to offer! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

Re: HAS PATS-JETS SURPASSED SOC-YANKS AS THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS?

Has Football surpassed baseball as America's #1 sport????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

Re: HAS PATS-JETS SURPASSED SOX-YANKS AS THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS?

nope it hasnt.. red sox yankees goes back a very very long time.. i dont see the jets pats rivalry as much of a rivalry really

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Haxker. Show Haxker's posts

In Response to Re: HAS PATS-JETS SURPASSED SOX-YANKS AS THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS?:
    [QUOTE]nope it hasnt.. red sox yankees goes back a very very long time.. i dont see the jets pats rivalry as much of a rivalry really
    Posted by Soxpatsfan08[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Although Pats-Jets has been entertaining for last couple of seasons, it would be a huge leap to say it surpassed sox-yanks. 

really, Its a rivalry because its NE vs NY in a sport...

tbh, I doubt it will ever be anything resembling a meaninful (competative) rivalry for more than a few year ever so many decades...

Lets enjoy it will it last... 

Go PATS!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Pats vs Jets is obviously a bigger rilvary then Canadians vs Bruins, Celtics vs Lakers, Redsox vs Yankees...so historic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

The Patriot versus Jets rivalry doesn't hold up to the Red Sox versus Yankee rivalry based on the lone fact that the Jets last won a championship 5 decades ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well, I'm not reading all that, but to answer the question . . .   sure.

The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry has become Goliath vs. Goliath and nobody outside New England cares about it. That, and they play too often and it doesn't really matter who wins the division, as the runner-up is a likely shoo-in for the wild card.

Conversely, the Pats v. New Jersey is relatively new and exciting. It's got an almost universally-despised demagogue in Belichick versus a clownish fresh face who knows how to play to an audience and offers something beyond typical, bland coachspeak.

It won't last. Ultimately the green team will fade back into its customary obscurity -- second fiddle to the blue team in New York, New York: The town so uninspired they couldn't even think up an original name for it -- and Yankees Red Sox will still be there . . .  same as it ever was.

But at this moment in time, I'd say the football rivalry is better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

must admit, i'm really shocked that on BOTH forums, MOST of you refuse to acknowledge the PRESENT reality. i mean if you were writing a tell-all book right now on yanks-sox or jets-pats, no way is the jets-pats book not selling out. talk about a reality series, all the plot for a mini-series. one woud have to hire the best mystery writers to come up with some of the stuff these two teams pull. add in mangini, lack of hugs after games, and when phat rex says after ellis signed with pats that he cant bring himself to wish him well, just not to get injured, you've reached a new low or high depending on one's perspective. 

look at the ratings, how is it even close? the entire country wants to see jets-pats, sox-yanks is clearly not at the same level anymore for you really cant bring up the "they hate each other card" for they dont. its a competive sports rivalry but it clearly doesnt have the multifaceted dynamics that the pats-jets now do. had mariano or jeter left for boston in the off-season, i could grasp some of your points. sox-yanks really was a rivalry in the way the nail is in a rivalry with the hammer until 2004. so it really should count only from 2004. 

the ellis move does just that. pats or jets could be up 50-0 and everyone will still be watching just to see it rammed up on the other team or waiting for the brawl or the insulting bomb from the shotgun. no love lost, no quarter given, no mercy rules, rubbing it in to the max. imagine the sox doing a double steal in a 11-0 game in the 8th inning with no outs, thats the pats-jets.  

so yep, in HISTORY, not even close. sox-yanks rule by 10 miles. in the here and now, not even close....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Red sox /Yankees is bigger then Pats/Jets it would be insane to say anything else!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Re: HAS PATS-JETS SURPASSED SOX-YANKS AS THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS?:
    [QUOTE]Well, I'm not reading all that, but to answer the question . . .   sure. The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry has become Goliath vs. Goliath and nobody outside New England cares about it. That, and they play too often and it doesn't really matter who wins the division, as the runner-up is a likely shoo-in for the wild card. Conversely, the Pats v. New Jersey is relatively new and exciting. It's got an almost universally-despised demagogue in Belichick versus a clownish fresh face who knows how to play to an audience and offers something beyond typical, bland coachspeak. It won't last. Ultimately the green team will fade back into its customary obscurity -- second fiddle to the blue team in New York, New York: The town so uninspired they couldn't even think up an original name for it -- and Yankees Red Sox will still be there . . .  same as it ever was. But at this moment in time, I'd say the football rivalry is better.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I'd say that pretty much sums it up. If you're an outsider you see 2 teams in the Red Sox and Yankees that outspend everyone else in the league. People outside of the area look at the matchup and flip them both the bird. Now that Ryan has become the Arch Antagonist to BB and the crew it's a pretty sexy matchup to watch Nation wide. As a football fan I've always been more interested in this Matchup than the Baseball version but I think that sentiment has grown much over the last 2 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Re: HAS PATS-JETS PRESENTLY SURPASSED SOX-YANKS AS THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS?

I think Ryan is stoking the fire that way, but Sox Yankees is undeniably a greater rivalry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Remove your American bias out of the discussion and take a trip overseas to Scotland to see Glasgow Celtic vs. Glasgow Rangers, Hibernian vs. Hearts or to Spain to see Real Madrid vs. Barcelona.  We're talking political, cultural, socioeconomic and religious ideologies combined with hardcore football (soccer) supporters.  Supporting Celtic or Rangers, for example, is akin wearing your political, religious and to a lesser extent socioeconomic beliefs on your sleeve.   There is no comparison anywhere in America.   

To call the Jets and Pats the best rivalry in sports in ludicrous.  I'd put the Red Sox-Yanks, Bruins-Habs and Lakers-Celtics before the Pats-Jets.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I suppose CWB is right.

Hell . . .  in Colombia they kill you when you lose the World Cup.

Red Sox v. Yankees (or even quaint Brit hooliganism) can't compete with that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Pats vs Jets is obviously a bigger rilvary then Canadians vs Bruins, Celtics vs Lakers, Redsox vs Yankees...so historic.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]
    Perfectly put! Enough said.