Has The Door Closed For Another SB Ring?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Has The Door Closed For Another SB Ring?

I sometimes wonder if the door to another SB ring has quietly closed on the Patriots.

With; basically, a completely different team from 2001, 2003, and 2004 - personnel and coach-wise, the Patriots have not been able to keep pace with the competition.

Although there's no proof one way or the other, I figure the time window is about 10 years.

I'm sure we will be competitive in the next year or two, but the Patriots are no longer an "elite/top tier" team. Next thing you know, we will lose the likes of Wilfork, Moss, and who knows - mebbe even Welker or Brady.

It may be a while before we field a top tier team again, but I'm hopeful that it will be sooner rather than later. BB will need to do something pretty special in the next year or two to get us back on top.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Has The Door Closed For Another SB Ring?

With the extra high draft picks, a few very good young guys, a good draft last year.  That alone is enough for hope.  But as long as we have BB and TB we have a shot.  I think we have 5-8 more years in our window.  And if we really hit well on our high picks this and next year, we can have another 2-3 maybe (rings).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I would say temporarily.  We won't be favorites to go to the SB for a while.  But we are still in the running for making the playoffs. 

We are in rebuilding mode so a little patience is going to be required.  I look at it as a closing to one dynasty and the beginning of another.   But the Pats do need to hit on their drafts.  Pats scouting has a job on their hands.  Make no mistake the next two drafts are going to be key.

A date to watch is March 5, I think.  That's where FAs become available.  We'll know who will be with the team and who will not.  We also will know who will actually be available for FA to add to the team.  We'll have a better picture of the team then.  Right now everything is up in the air.  Give it a month.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

the door is wide open, this team is not that far.

A couple of key FAs and young talent this team is right in the mix.  They will still win the east although it won't be easy.  Not because of the Jets because their schedule is so brutal, it will be initiation by fire for rookies. 

I see FAs come in on the DL, LBs and Secondary.  The offense is one receiver and a RB away from top form.  My hope is the team gives law firm a shot, the kid has done well when he has played.  In 2008 he carried the ball with power and speed, I think if he's given 20 to 25 carries a game he'll be 100% better than Laura.

The door is for this decade is wide open.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Bubba.... doors NEVER close... you never know when a team will rise to the occasion.  Look at 2001, out of no where!  You can either look at the glass as half empty or half full.  I think optimism is far healthier than thinking all can go wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

As long as we have a healthy Brady we will be contending. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As long as we have Brady the door is never closed but the amount of space to sneak in is much smaller. The defense is not even close to those wonderful years we won and our offense has become predictable. The defense needs to get that winning edge back (like in Rocky III) and toss in a couple new tricks on offense. The way I see it we need to sign a good burner wr and possession TE and new RG, RT will fix the OL (with a full season of Vollmer at LT), but the D needs a really great draft imo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

There is no door.  We have good ownership and coaching.  Its a question of putting the right pieces in.  The 07 team was alot different than the SB teams, and came a whisker away from winning it.  The 3 that we won we didnt run away with, a few plays made the difference.  We aren't getting those few plays anymore.  That's about all we need.  A few, from a few players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I notice you haven't named the teams that will emerge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

In Response to Re: Has The Door Closed For Another SB Ring?:
    I notice you haven't named the teams that will emerge.
    Posted by Evil2010

The Saints were 7-9 in 2007 and lost to the Colts 41-10. I guess in this time of supposed parity, any team can emerge. Look at the turn around by the Dolphins 2007-2008 (1-15 to 11-5) returning this year again to mediocrity as it should be :P. It just goes to show how awesome the Patriots have actually been in the last decade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't think the door has closed.  Dynasties usually end when the QB or coach leaves.

Bradshaw was 26 when he won his first Super Bowl, Montana 25, Aikman 27, Steve young 33, Elway was 37.

Brady was 24 when he won his first SB and 27 when he won his last.  So most QB's were just hitting their rhythm at 27, but Brady already had 3 SB's by that age.  His play has not dropped off but the other Pats during 2001-2004 were seasoned veterans.  Guys like Law, Bruschi, Mcginist etc are pushing 40 now so the team has changed around him.  So the question is, can the pats get some guys in and have them go from rookies to good veteran players before Brady turns into a pumpkin.  It appears that QB's expire between 38 and 40 and tend to get better until that point.  So as I see it the Pats have 7-9 years of Brady playing in his prime or possibly better.  The rest of their roster has a lot of young mostly low round draft picks (especially on defense) who are within their first 3 years in the NFL.  If players develop like they normally do, than those players should start seeing the best years of their careers within the next year or two.  When you look at great teams you will usually see a core of players (not QB) who are in that 25-32 range where there is a perfect mix of experience and athleticism. 

For those reasons, I think you will see NE's 5th ranked defense in 2009 get better, and the 6th ranked offense get better.  This team is not getting older and slower like it was in 2007, and 2008, it is getting more experienced, and I think they get it together in time for another run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

Im sorry to tell you this BUBBAINHAWAII but yes the door is closed. The Saints won the Super Bowl last week so New England has no hope now. But maybe next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i sure hope that every other team thinks that...and then let the pats beat the parc out of everyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Patriots have a strong core of players to construct a Championship team around. In an era like this where you can draft solid players and if you are willing and able to spend money you can go to free agency for help and retool pretty quick... maybe not in 2010 If they make the right moves they could be in my opinion) but if the NFL doesn't shoot itself in the foot the Patriots could be ready in 2011.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In 2009 of course the Saints won last week. I think the Pats are going to be still in rebuilding mode next year. Lots of young players already on the team, plus we have some holes to fill in the D front 7, WR, TE, RB, right side OL. If the Pats can make all the right moves this offseason they could be back in the Super Bowl discussion next year. I'll take a more conservative prediction say they are a better team next year but finish with about the same record. 2011 who know's what to expect with the labor issues, that could be a lost year. With 2 first round picks that year we could have finished putting in the final keys to another successful decade. If there is a season in 2011 don't be surprised if New England is back on top then and for quite a few years to follow.

For all we know we could be like the 85-87 49ers. They went through a pretty big turnover in players keeping some of there main stars and then wound up winning back to back Super Bowls. Plus during that stretch didn't win a single playoff game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

don't give up, the pats will reload like they did in 2007 and make a few more runs, i see Brady winning another ring before he retires

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

NO! Not at all. 

I feel with the correct OFF-Season moves this year and by hopefully nailing down a couple draft picks this year, this team can be right back in the thick of things next year!   I think they even know while Tom Brady is still here, they better/should do 'whatever' it takes to get as many SB titles they can in this Window! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Most of Bubba's posts smells like TROLL.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

That will depend on the next 2 drafts. Got a lot of chips to build a very nice stack for the next 6 years. We just need a few studs to come out of these 2 drafts. I think the seymore trade was huge.. Although we def. could have used him this year, i dont think he would have been the difference in terms of superbowl... Should be a top 10 pick next year. 4 Picks in the first 2 rounds this year, and 2 first rounders next year, (not sure how many 2nd round picks we have next year).
    If they can have a 2nd round like they had last year where they got butler, chung, and seabass... that will really help.

Sections
Shortcuts