Have not heard a single talking head!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Have not heard a single talking head!!!

I am sure that can change; however, not one person said anything bad about the Pats picking Wilson.  At least not to my knowledge. 

Any links saying bad move?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Have not heard a single talking head!!!

In Response to Have not heard a single talking head!!!:
    [QUOTE]I am sure that can change; however, not one person said anything bad about the Pats picking Wilson.  At least not to my knowledge.  Any links saying bad move?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

itd obvious no one like to question the genius.
    sometimes the genius is a "mad gennius"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I think many are taking the wait and see approach, how many times as BB been right more so than every other coach/gm/analyst? People questioned the Vollmer pick and look how stupid they sound now. This will take at least 2-3 years before we know how good/bad of a pick it was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Have not heard a single talking head!!!:
    [QUOTE]I think many are taking the wait and see approach, how many times as BB been right more so than every other coach/gm/analyst? People questioned the Vollmer pick and look how stupid they sound now. This will take at least 2-3 years before we know how good/bad of a pick it was.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

thats why those in the media are so reluctant to criticize 2 appearingly (that appear at face value to be) imbecillic moves

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Just saying.. still heard nothing bad....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Could be just utter confusion. When a player is taken so much higher then his perceived value I think most experts feel as we do. They must see something that no one else is seeing, and they don't want to made to look like idiots if the player works out. However Wheatley was also considered a reach too and Cunningham was a reach over Dunlap, so sometimes a reach is a reach and just a stupid move. When it comes to reaches BB's about 50/50 and when it comes to DB's in the 2nd... well not as good. So when you combine the two that's what makes people most nervous

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

maybe because the players haven't played a single down of pro football yet?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Many of them have been burned by BB before and his body of work commands respect so nobody wants to criticize unless they are positive.

if it were Norv Turner or a rookie head coach they would have been all over it in the media. 

I don't have a clue about how good the guy is. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

I think that there must be two theories of what happened yesterday. BB and scouting staff liked the guy and decided to draft the guy even tho they could have picked him up in the 7th round. Pure ego on BB part. "Yeah Mr Kraft, I just drafted him in the 2 round on a hunch". Or BB had him in for a workout along with other teams and fell in love with him. They saw something in him during his workout that blew them away. Apparently another team who had him in for a workout, also saw the same thing and was going to draft him to in the second round too. You figure out which theory makes more sense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here you go: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828b2d14/article/2012-nfl-draft-winners-losers-from-second-and-third-rounds

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Well draft 'grades' will be coming out Monday for sure... so we'll see then. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Tough grading right here
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1158495-2012-nfl-draft-grades-full-round-1-3-results-report-card#/articles/1158495-2012-nfl-draft-grades-full-round-1-3-results-report-card/page/2

1(21) - Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse -  Grade: B

The Patriots will use Jones at their "elephant" pass rusher position. His versatility fits with their hybrid defense and he has the upside to become one of the top 10 players from this draft.

1(25) - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama - Grade: A

The Patriots pounced when the Steelers passed on Hightower for surprise faller David DeCastro. The Alabama product is a tough customer in run defense and can also rush the passer.

2(48) - Tavon Wilson, DB, Illinois - Grade: D

Wilson provides versatility in the secondary and could even start at safety for the Patriots. After all, this is a team that was playing Julian Edelman last year. Still, Wilson wasn't a mid-second round value on anyone's board, and the Patriots probably reached for him.

3(90) - Jake Bequette, DE/OLB, Arkansas - Grade: D

Bequette has some great physical attributes to convert to a 3-4 outside linebacker, but he is a major project at the position.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think they are embarrassed that they don't know much about him and come to find out several teams had him in to look at him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]I think they are embarrassed that they don't know much about him and come to find out several teams had him in to look at him.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Besides saying his name, they pretty much ignored the selection all together... and kept talking about something else.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Have not heard a single talking head!!!:
    [QUOTE]I am sure that can change; however, not one person said anything bad about the Pats picking Wilson.  At least not to my knowledge.  Any links saying bad move?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

From a value standpoint, there is no way that the Wilson pick at #48 can be defended: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1164074-new-england-patriots-tavon-wilson-pick-deserves-benefit-of-the-doubt 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

They are so confident in the pick they just took....another safety....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's more:

MOST PUZZLING

Patriots raise eyebrows.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick is as respected a talent evaluator of defensive backs as anyone in the league, but many of his peers were still raising their eyebrows when he selected Illinois cornerback-safety Tavon Wilson with the 48th pick of the draft. Many teams had a sixth-round grade on Wilson, but the Patriots work the "short" board with fewer players to consider and will often have players ranked far higher than others.

Read more: Patriots raise eyebrows with Tavon Wilson pick - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20500954/patriots-raise-eyebrows-tavon-wilson-pick?source=pkg#ixzz1tN8pWQL2; and  http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2012/04/28/sports/11409066.txt; and http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/4/28/2983356/nfl-draft-grades-2012-thoughts-on-patriots-day-two-performance-from

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Got it.. lemme go get a tissue.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]     Here's more: MOST PUZZLING Patriots raise eyebrows. Patriots coach Bill Belichick is as respected a talent evaluator of defensive backs as anyone in the league, but many of his peers were still raising their eyebrows when he selected Illinois cornerback-safety Tavon Wilson with the 48th pick of the draft. Many teams had a sixth-round grade on Wilson, but the Patriots work the "short" board with fewer players to consider and will often have players ranked far higher than others.Read more: Patriots raise eyebrows with Tavon Wilson pick - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20500954/patriots-raise-eyebrows-tavon-wilson-pick?source=pkg#ixzz1tN8pWQL2 ; and   http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2012/04/28/sports/11409066.txt; and http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/4/28/2983356/nfl-draft-grades-2012-thoughts-on-patriots-day-two-performance-from
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

First: 6/4/2008
    Last: 4/28/2012

Bill Belichick doesn't care what draft experts think

The reaction from the draft analysts was unanimous. The Patriots took who in the second round?

When the defending AFC champions drafted Illinois defensive back Tavon Wilson No. 48 overall, the draftnik community was apoplectic. He was "rated" a seventh rounder or undrafted player, said draft gurus from NFL.com to ESPN.com. Wilson didn't even attend the combine.

"Some guys play in all-star games, some guys don't," Belichick said via CSNNE.com. "I don't know who picks all those all-star teams. In all honesty, I don't know who picks the combine for that matter. ... How did (Patriots' right tackle Sebastian) Vollmer not get invited to the combine? I don't know. We can't really worry about that.

"We just have to try to evaluate them the best we can. If they're there, they're there. If they're not, they're not. If they play in an all-star game, we look at it. If they don't, they don't."

Vollmer became a second-team All-Pro in his second season. He was called a "reach" by the draftniks, too. Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com wrote a great column on the subject that essentially asked: Do you trust the draftniks or Belichick?

The reality is that the draft community doesn't know how NFL teams think. There were a lot of teams that had Bruce Irvin rated in the first round. (Not just Seattle.) Seven teams worked out Wilson, so he wasn't under the radar.

"He played plenty. You can see him plenty at Illinois," Belichick said. "You can see him against whoever you want to see him against: all the Big Ten schools, Arizona State, teams that throw the ball."

Translation: We know more than you. It should be obvious, but he's right.

UPDATE: Belichick drafted Ohio State "safety" Nate Ebner in the sixth round. Ebner isn't in any draft preview magazines because he barely played on defense last year. He was a walk on  that mostly played special teams. (Before having a great pro day.) If the NFL doesn't work out, Ebner will pursue an international rugby career

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have not heard a single talking head!!! : Rocky Posts: 5827 First: 6/4/2008 Last: 4/28/2012 5198da1caf43ece1fa5f5255ab58054b Bill Belichick doesn't care what draft experts think 9 By Gregg Rosenthal Around The League editor Published:   April 28, 2012 at 04:54 p.m. Updated:   April 28, 2012 at 05:20 p.m. Print The reaction from the draft analysts was unanimous. The Patriots took  who  in the second round? When the defending AFC champions drafted Illinois defensive back Tavon Wilson No. 48 overall, the draftnik community was apoplectic. He was "rated" a seventh rounder or undrafted player, said draft gurus from NFL.com to ESPN.com. Wilson  didn't even attend the combine . "Some guys play in all-star games, some guys don't," Belichick said via CSNNE.com. "I don't know who picks all those all-star teams. In all honesty, I don't know who picks the combine for that matter. ... How did (Patriots' right tackle Sebastian) Vollmer not get invited to the combine? I don't know. We can't really worry about that. "We just have to try to evaluate them the best we can. If they're there, they're there. If they're not, they're not. If they play in an all-star game, we look at it. If they don't, they don't." Vollmer became a second-team All-Pro in his second season. He was called a "reach" by the draftniks, too. Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com wrote a great column on the subject that essentially asked:  Do you trust  the draftniks or Belichick? The reality is that the draft community doesn't know how NFL teams think. There were a  lot  of teams that had Bruce Irvin rated in the first round. (Not just Seattle.) Seven teams worked out Wilson, so he wasn't under the radar. "He played plenty. You can see him plenty at Illinois," Belichick said. "You can see him against whoever you want to see him against: all the Big Ten schools, Arizona State, teams that throw the ball." Translation: We know more than you. It should be obvious, but he's right. UPDATE: Belichick drafted Ohio State "safety" Nate Ebner in the sixth round. Ebner isn't in any draft preview magazines because he barely played on defense last year. He was a walk on  that mostly played special teams. (Before having a great pro day.) If the NFL doesn't work out, Ebner will  pursue an international rugby career
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Thanks...that makes me feel so much better about the pick...LOL!!! 

From 2006-10, BB has whiffed on 13 out of 19 of his first, second, and third round picks. Maybe it's time for him to start caring what other people think, before he wastes any more high selections...like this years' 48th and 62nd overall picks.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have not heard a single talking head!!! :      Thanks...that makes me feel so much better about the pick...LOL!!!       From 2006-10, BB has whiffed on 13 out of 19 of his first, second, and third round picks. Maybe it's time for him to start caring what other people think, before he wastes any more high selections...like this years' 48th and 62nd overall picks.  
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Woooooooooooooo... hold on there guy.. I ain't trying to make you feel better about anything... point is BB drafts who he wants, and not by what other people believe.  I'll have to side with BB on his picks.  If you need encouragement just watch the upcoming season.... 14-2, 15-1????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have not heard a single talking head!!! : Woooooooooooooo... hold on there guy.. I ain't trying to make you feel better about anything... point is BB drafts who he wants, and not by what other people believe.  I'll have to side with BB on his picks.  If you need encouragement just watch the upcoming season.... 14-2, 15-1????

Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Don't you know anything Getzo, the season is lost and the sky is falling if Mel Kiper doesn't give them an A.  Yeah they may go 14-2, but it would have been 15-1 if they just got better value for pick 48. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have not heard a single talking head!!! : Don't you know anything Getzo, the season is lost and the sky is falling if Mel Kiper doesn't give them an A.  Yeah they may go 14-2, but it would have been 15-1 if they just got better value for pick 48. 
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Nice.... HA!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]They are so confident in the pick they just took....another safety....
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]
    oh sorry, I forgot depth is completely useless in the NFL. I say let the toughest safety win the job, maybe Bill is trying to find his next Harrison. I liked it when I saw he picked another safety, relying on Chung or whatever CB that needs to take his place when injured just doesn't make me feel that good. Call me crazy I guess

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have not heard a single talking head!!! : oh sorry, I forgot depth is completely useless in the NFL. I say let the toughest safety win the job, maybe Bill is trying to find his next Harrison. I liked it when I saw he picked another safety, relying on Chung or whatever CB that needs to take his place when injured just doesn't make me feel that good. Call me crazy I guess

Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

Here's a thought, maybe they (BB, Caserio, et al) looked at who was available at safety in this draft class and decided that (a) Wilson was better than anybody else and (b) there was nobody else out there that was any better than what they already have on the roster. 

Is that unreasonable?  There's this thinking that teams can fill needs via the draft, but it's a fallacy. First year guys who can step in and play effectively are a major exception.

While Chandler Jones might become a great pass rusher, I wouldn't expect him to be great in year 1. He's going against men now, bigger and stronger and way more experienced than he is, not Big East college kids. It will take him time to figure it out, so anybody thinking they've solved whatever pass rush issues they may have with him and Hightower are fooling themselves.