Have Patriots Organization Lost Their Luster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Have Patriots Organization Lost Their Luster?

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suspect they are trying hard with Talib, and I have a feeling they'll work something out.  Edelman I think will walk now if he can find a good deal. I'm sure he feels jerked around.  

This year's draft is deep in receivers, so maybe they plan on trying to draft one.  The free agent WRs are only so-so.  

Personally, I still regret them not signing Pierre Garcon in 2012.  At $7 million a year he wasn't cheap, but he struck me as the kind of smart, solid quality player who would have made an impact with Brady.  In the long run, I think he would have been better for the team than Lloyd and Amendola and other such free agents who, I'm afraid, won't last long. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand the frustration with Amendola... when healthy he is a very good option... when healthy. I'm willing to go one more year with him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Broncos outhustled and clearly outpointed the Pats last year in the off-season. The results were evident in the AFC title game...when their free agent acquisitions (OG Louis Vasquez, NT Terrence Knighton and WR Wes Welker, with his "block" on Talib) played key roles in sending the Pats packing. Unfortunately, it's appearing that the Broncos are out-performing the Pats again, after signing SS T.J. Ward, and supposedly, being on the verge of signing DE DeMarcus Ware.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suspect they are trying hard with Talib, and I have a feeling they'll work something out.  Edelman I think will walk now if he can find a good deal. I'm sure he feels jerked around.  

This year's draft is deep in receivers, so maybe they plan on trying to draft one.  The free agent WRs are only so-so.  

Personally, I still regret them not signing Pierre Garcon in 2012.  At $7 million a year he wasn't cheap, but he struck me as the kind of smart, solid quality player who would have made an impact with Brady.  In the long run, I think he would have been better for the team than Lloyd and Amendola and other such free agents who, I'm afraid, won't last long. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand the frustration with Amendola... when healthy he is a very good option... when healthy. I'm willing to go one more year with him.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we have a choice, given the dead money it would cost to cut him.  My biggest reason for wanting a guy like Garcon though is that he is a legitimate x receiver.  We are overloaded with slot types and need that outside guy.  Dobson may work out with time, but having a solid veteran there would have solidified the spot.  I never liked the Lloyd signing.  Guy's history wasn't good.  I wasn't too crazy about Amendola either.  While he has potential, he's only had one truly productive NFL season.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Speaking of Denver outhustling the Pats, they have now added Aqib Talib: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/11/report-broncos-reach-six-year-deal-with-talib/

With this stroke, Elway has not only improved his team, but has weakened his chief rival in the AFC. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Of course they've lost their luster.  I love my fellow Pats fans, but the denial has to end.

It's not each decision per se that is troubling; it's the steadfast refusal to change what they're doing.  Kraft has spoken at length about "the importance of managing the bottom third of the roster" long enough that people should know that the Pats are never going to be making blockbuster signings.

OK.

But when you have a playoff game in a city with an altitude of 5,280 feet and don't take your team out early to acclimatize (BB in all his arrogance: "I think both teams play at the same altitude" ... yes, Bill - only one of them has acclimatized to the altitude) you're drunk on your own thinking.

That's one small example of many, and as the OBF column today pointed out so well, the really key to the Pats' having a chance to win is Brady, and as he gets older and is surrounded with mediocrity, they are flushing opportunity down the toilet.

In a way, the Patriots are now victimized by all the success they have enjoyed: we must be geniuses.  We'll always have everything figured out.

Football is not baseball and 'character guys' go only so far when it's 3rd and 4 and you have no pass rush.

The Pats won't win again as long as BB is "HC of the NEP" in conjunction with Kraft as owner.  Playoffs, yes.  SB, no. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Any player with two eyes can see that Brady carries this team.Why would they want to sign on at a discount to a team that makes mediocre moves over and over and over from the GM?

The myth that BB is a great team builder was gone long ago, except if you're a homer. And the NFL players aren't Pats homers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The Herald piece lost me in its advocacy of the 'win before Brady retires because after that the Pats are toast' philosophy.  Yes, I know, Babe.  I'm blind (not exactly but cataract surgey I'm sure is in my future at some point).  So Robert Kraft (forget BB for a moment) is so blind that his entire business plan resides in Tom Brady?  That doesn't pass the straight face test. 

Sorry, ringing up 'No Sale' here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

There's no way that Pats won't be faced with a huge challenge once Brady is gone.  "Toast" is a distraction; forget that word.

They have a surefire first-ballot Hall of Famer currently playing QB (still the most important position in pro sports, and I actually prefer baseball and hockey).  How do you replace that?  You don't.  So, they'll need to get lucky / tide over until and if (big, big if) they can replace Brady's level of performance.

Maybe they can; but I wouldn't say that's a sure thing at all.

So, since you have your franchise's best-ever player in the most-important role now, you try to win now.  It's your best opportunity.

Again, it's not just the FA inactivity, it's that the Pats haven't innovated as the league has caught up.  Do I blame them for not being innovative?  I do.  Talented younger coaches are leaving Foxboro faster than they are arriving these days.  Personnel decisions have been poor.  That is the responsibility of the team's front office, and these days that's Kraft and BB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking of Denver outhustling the Pats, they have now added Aqib Talib: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/11/report-broncos-reach-six-year-deal-with-talib/

With this stroke, Elway has not only improved his team, but has weakened his chief rival in the AFC. 

[/QUOTE]

not a bad strategy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Mel

You got it very clearly and concisely:

What he's really saying is:

"I own this piece, including all the surounding land for parking and all the buildings in the mall...I make a bundle for leases and can't keep the spaces full or the leases increasing in value if I make a stupid decision to win one year and have a piece of garbage team for the next 4 or 5 years...you need a consistently winning team to fill the mall on a consistent basis, especially during football and Xmas season....as long as I own the whole shebang, this is the way we'll operate"

Why is this so hard to get...he's always been a business man 1st, a team owner 2nd...that's how he became one of the richest owners in the NFL....

[/QUOTE]