Have the other teams really improved?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Have the other teams really improved?

I keep reading people both fan board posters and the media mention how the other teams in our division have vastly improved while the Pats have only resigned some key players but not made any additions yet. 

The only problem with this line of thinking is it doesn't take into account any losses those teams have suffered and how that will balance out any additions. At this point in the offseason (assuming Bodden does resign with the Pats and Faulk at some later point) the Pats have not suffered the loss of any major FA. It can also be reasoned that Watson and Baker are not significant losses in the minds of most fans based on they are ripped relentlessly during the year on this board.

Alright, the point I am getting at is this.  The only addition the jets have made is to add cromartie (who can't tackle at all) however the fact that they no longer have Thomas Jones, Kerry Rhodes, Donald Strickland, or Marques Douglas needs to be taken into consideration. Also Leon Washington is not a lock to return this year and even if he does how effective will he be after that gruesome compact fracture. They have holes but many people can't seem to come to grip with this.

Lets look at the Dolphins, they added Karlos Dansby but who is their olb or nosetackle? If NT Jason Ferguson returns he will have to serve an 8 game suspension not to mention the fact that he is 37 years old. Jason Taylor is a FA and just underwent shoulder surgery. They cut Porter who may be a basket case but did account for a good percentage of the teams sacks last year. They also have a need at safety after they cut the big FA signing from last year safety Gibril Wilson and were unable to sign ryan clark away from the steelers. 

Yes, I agree that the Patriots need some help but 1. I don't think the holes are near as big as many of you make them out to be and 2. the FA class doesn't present many long term solutions but more stop gaps. 3. You can not only look at a teams additions without taking into account what they have also lost. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Re: Have the other teams really improved?

intelligent response. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Yeah, I dont get the "other teams got better" bit...all the dolphins did was add dansby and lose out on Ryan Clark.  All the jests added was cromartie....so how did they vastly improve...as I recall the dolphins finished below 500 and the jests are a good team, but i didnt see anything that made them any better...if anything they are the same if not worse because of jones.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I like the Cromartie trade despite his off field issues, but the net loss in talent from the Jets is significant.  They will be a better team, no doubt, because Sanchez will likely improve and the playoff experience will help with the maturation of that team.  But I don't see it with the the Dolphins.  They are a 9-7, 10-6 team at best in my eyes.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

One thing that people might be underestimating is that BB is taking over the defense.  I'll take that over Cromartie and Dansby.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

In Response to Re: Have the other teams really improved?:
    The Patsies are crumbling faster than your oyster crackers in your chowda
    Posted by ladyleon

You don't crumble oyster crackers.
     They like the Patriots are already perfect for a superbowl.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

One thing people are assuming is Sanchez' improvement next year. That's not always a given. Matt Ryan had a great year his rookie year and led his team to the playoffs. Last year, he struggled and his team isn't exactly short of offensive weapons. You could even argue they have more options on offense than the Jets.

Mark Sanchez could have a great second year but it's not always a given. Sometimes, rookies play out of their mind, come back to Earth, and then slowly raise their play again. It's not always a constant improvement...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

People are really missing the story with the jets, forget the other subtractions. People are not realizing how important Thomas Jones is to that offense. People will find out that shonne greene wont be able to do what thomas jones did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: Have the other teams really improved?:
    One thing people are assuming is Sanchez' improvement next year. That's not always a given. Matt Ryan had a great year his rookie year and led his team to the playoffs. Last year, he struggled and his team isn't exactly short of offensive weapons. You could even argue they have more options on offense than the Jets. Mark Sanchez could have a great second year but it's not always a given. Sometimes, rookies play out of their mind, come back to Earth, and then slowly raise their play again. It's not always a constant improvement...
    Posted by apdynasty23

True AP,

I don't expect Sanchez to play out of his mind and be Brady in year two, and he didn't really have a Matt Ryan season a year ago either.  But I expect him to be better managing the Jets' O, not throw as many interceptions and make better decisions.  That alone should help the Jets.  Is that a reasonable assumption?  If so, that defense will be good and the running game probably solid.  So I see them as a bit better than last year regular season record-wise, but not so sure they're an AFC championship team.