Have the Patriots Addressed Their 2012 Weaknesses?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Have the Patriots Addressed Their 2012 Weaknesses?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1712681-have-the-patriots-addressed-their-2012-weaknesses

Good read.  Some of the highlights....

First Down Pass Defense- According to Football Outsiders' 2013 almanac (subscription required), the Patriots were the second-worst defense in the NFL on first down, despite having the sixth best run defense. Teams that threw early and often on the Pats' defense were successful, and it's why the Ravens lit the Patriots up through the air on first down in the AFC Championship.

Third Down Pass Defense-  Football Outsiders' almanac had the Pats 19th in their DVOA metric on third down, and though they had their best third-down percentage since 2009 (40%), they were still ranked 20th in the NFL.

Again, it's the pass defense that needs help.

Stretching the Field- the offense lacked explosion, and with no receiver to challenge the defense deep and outside, teams began to crowd the short zones, and make the receivers pay for any catch. 

Now, with the departures of Welker and Branch the passing game is in full transition, and with that comes the advantage of unpredictability, but the disadvantage of inconsistency. The Pats added multiple potential X-receivers with potential to stretch the field, including veteran Michael Jenkins, and rookies Aaron Dobson and Mark Harrison.

The Verdict- The Patriots brought in a number of players to compete at the spots where they were weakest at in 2012, but quantity doesn't always equal quality. New players will have to emerge, especially at the receiver and pass rusher spots.

If they do, the Patriots could be ready to take the final step toward raising the Lombardi Trophy once again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Have the Patriots Addressed Their 2012 Weaknesses?

Cautious optimism

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think 'cautious optimism' describes my perspective on this question as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The attempt has been made...the proof will be in the pudding, let the season begin!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Well at least for 1st down pass D you can explain it... due to them being in their base D and having spikes and gregory on the field on the same time. Those 2 guys just can't cover plain and simple.

Spikes is okay in tight spaces but if he has to cover a back in the flat or gets stuck in one on one coverage it is hard to watch. Gregory just chases guys across the field.

I really hope they cut gregory and limit spikes snaps this year. Spikes is great against the run but a big liability in pass D. IMO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Keys to success this year;

1) health

2) TWilson, Dennard, Ras and Jones taking play to the next level

3) Kelly, Armstead playing to expectations

4) Vareen earning 35-45% of the snaps

5) Ghostkowski, Mesko and Washington playing to near pro bowl level

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Keys to success this year;

1) health

2) TWilson, Dennard, Ras and Jones taking play to the next level

3) Kelly, Armstead playing to expectations

4) Vareen earning 35-45% of the snaps

5) Ghostkowski, Mesko and Washington playing to near pro bowl level

Good list...

Just to add...

Add hightower to #2 he needs to show he is capable of being a 3 down player.

Add A Wilson to # 3 he could be used as a hybrid LB/S and play a big role in their pass D.

#4 i don't think it is the amount of plays Vareen is on the field for as much as the touches he gets and how they decide to use him. For my money he could be a match-up nightmare for teams if mcdaniels can get him in space against LB's.

#5 at least on kickoffs all washington has to do is be solid. He can't be any worse returning kicks compared to what we have had the last few years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Did the pats do enough to address their 2012 weaknesses? 

If you go by the analysis posted, it appears they have added at key areas on the defense to be better at rushing the passer and defending receivers. So, on paper, I think they have addressed it, but impossible to tell if it will be enough.

similar on offense. Added more capable, athletic outside receivers, but also let go almost all of their producers from last year. If the guys they brought in like amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Ballard can catch on , plus Gronk come back and stay healthy, the potential on paper is good...and yes, in that case they have addressed the perimeter. 

On paper, I think they have addressed okay, not well, their weaknesses, but also created some others especially on offense. Hopefully the gamble pays off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Don't forget Collins. He will be a key to the D.  So done explain to me what Branch has brought to the table in the last few years?  all I can remember is a key drop in the Super Bowl sandwiched between Welkers and hernandez's.

personally I think the branch ship has sailed long ago

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

With the new stable of receivers, I think pass protection for Brady is going to be a huge factor this year. There's going to be a learning curve, so extra time to evaluate the field for #12 is going to be crucial.

This is also a year that Ridley & Vereen need to shine. IMO, these two need to step up and play like the high draft picks they were (especially Vereen)....who I really want to see in short passing and screens. Get Vereen the ball in open space and he's going to be electric...

Defense is the same story it's been for the past few seasons. Is this the year we can get pressure on the QB? Is A. Wilson going to make a difference? Is Hightower going to play like he's projected to play? Collins? Kelly? Armstead? Lot's of questions, and I can't wait to see if they can actually gel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Don't forget Collins. He will be a key to the D.  So done explain to me what Branch has brought to the table in the last few years?  all I can remember is a key drop in the Super Bowl sandwiched between Welkers and hernandez's.

personally I think the branch ship has sailed long ago

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

I would love Collns to have an impact but I am not going to hold my breath. He is a rookie. I do not expect him to play all that much this year. THere is hope he will be more impactful. Just do not write him off if he does not play much as a rookie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well football is weird, sometimes it's not about last year's weaknesses, but this year's. I've seen positions of strength get wiped out in a matter of weeks and become a position of weakness...we just saw it with our tight ends...now we may be seeing it with the deffensive line. We lost both our starting defensive ends, and the guy we brought in to replace one of them (who already had many quetion marks) is out with a heart condition. Ouch.

I think the secondary will be improved as long as Dennard is allowed to play (I think he can cover). I like Talib's ability and size...he's a legit corner. McCourty at safety may be something solid. Gregory stinks...maybe Tavon Wilson or Adrian Wilson will be the answer? We did draft a couple of more secondary guys...who knows? Maybe one works out?

I can see our pass rush improving. I've got to think Collins will come in and give us what Anderson did a couple of years ago and Chandler Jones should be better. I'm looking for a Francis or Bequette to come out and and have a great second year (I think Cunningham will finally be gone). Nink is still here, he will get us coverage/hustle sacks. And Hightower has some pass rush ability - the guy needs to be out on the field more - to me he is the key to this whole defense improving and becoming what has taken so long to rebuild.

Sections
Shortcuts