Have we misjudged a loyal Pats contributor?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Have we misjudged a loyal Pats contributor?

While all of us have a propensity, at times, to misspell words as we rush to get ideas or theories down on paper, what about the isolated blogs that routinely irritate us because the words or letters are routinely transposed?  Does the writer not know how to use spell-check or are his actions unintentional?

The term "dyslexia" is the culprit in some cases and it's a word processing difficulty. A dyslexic can want to type the word BAD and its comes out DAB. To his mind either spelling says BAD. He simply does not recognize the word as misspelt!

We have such a contributor who by his own admission is dyslexic. His contributions, with some patience of mind, can be "spot-on" but the dyslexic words often detract from the content. You all know who the individual is...but rather than berate him for something that can't be helped, put yourself in his shoes....and start to feel what life must be like for him.......

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Have we misjudged a loyal Pats contributor?

I have not noticed. It bothers some people more than others.

Some people can read this easily and some it bothers tremedously:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Also some posters will get overly caught up with spelling an grammar in order to validate their argument over others, after all if you can't spell you must be stupid, right? (actually Ithink the opposite has been proven)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'll out myself - I've taken note (unnecessarily) of a poster from time to time about spelling, punctuation and grammar.  Thanks for posting and I'll be more mindful going forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

While all of us have a propensity, at times, to misspell words as we rush to get ideas or theories down on paper, what about the isolated blogs that routinely irritate us because the words or letters are routinely transposed?  Does the writer not know how to use spell-check or are his actions unintentional?

The term "dyslexia" is the culprit in some cases and it's a word processing difficulty. A dyslexic can want to type the word BAD and its comes out DAB. To his mind either spelling says BAD. He simply does not recognize the word as misspelt!

We have such a contributor who by his own admission is dyslexic. His contributions, with some patience of mind, can be "spot-on" but the dyslexic words often detract from the content. You all know who the individual is...but rather than berate him for something that can't be helped, put yourself in his shoes....and start to feel what life must be like for him.......

Where's the bug? That thing was cool.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm Dyslexic.  B's D's and P's are a *itch.  The funny/weird thing is spell check doesn't work when you use the wrong word (which I do a lot) or leave off an 's.  You meant It's but typed it or you meant to type they and the is what got typed.  When you go back and proof read, your actually reading back the sentence you constructed in you head and not what's actually on the page.  Sometime I have to proof read things 3 or 4 times to catch mistakes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Who are we talking about?

I usually just think it's a mistyping issue.  Some folks are just not very good typists.  

Or they're posting from their phone which I heard sometimes causes problems.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Who are we talking about?

I usually just think it's a mistyping issue.  Some folks are just not very good typists.  

Or they're posting from their phone which I heard sometimes causes problems.

If it was me, which its not, I would type my post in word to let the program auto correct it then paste it here.  I'm not immune from misspellings or cursed by my ipads auto correct, but gross misspellings do detract from the content of the message.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Also some posters will get overly caught up with spelling an grammar in order to validate their argument over others, after all if you can't spell you must be stupid, right? (actually Ithink the opposite has been proven)

I love those things and can read them perfectly. You know it works if you replace letters with numbers that look similar to the letters too?

I know for me I tend to type way to fast and half the time the keyboard just can't keep up. It ends up skipping letters every now and again. Not exactly the best thing in the world the few times I have to program lines of code for a model

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I love those things and can read them perfectly. You know it works if you replace letters with numbers that look similar to the letters too?

I know for me I tend to type way to fast and half the time the keyboard just can't keep up. It ends up skipping letters every now and again. Not exactly the best thing in the world the few times I have to program lines of code for a model

Even worse on an IPAD

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Really surprised that people don't know who this is. Especially someone like Rusty, who hangs around here very often and has engaged said individual in multiple arguments.

I post every now and again, and read the forum nearly every day, and it would immediately obvious who the OP was referring to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Even worse on an IPAD

If you use an ipad on this board, you will find that 70% of what you type will be auto corrected into something else...I think it has something to do with the connectativity to this site.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Misspelled words, punctuation, grammar, things like that doesn't bother me here.  This is a football forum, not some formal place that I'm going to judge people on their grammar.  Heck, I would assume most of us are busy with other things when posting on here so not paying attention in catching all misspelled words or making sure your punctuation is correct doesn't bother me as long as I get the message that is trying to be relayed.  I will look back at some of my posts and shake my head about misspelling a word or words and the grammar being bad but oh well, I might have been in a hurry to type my post or I was trying to type and was getting distracted in the process.  Oh well, as long as I got my message across.

Dyslexia is a problem for people who have it, and I am sorry for any problem anyone has, but who ever it is (It doesn't even bother me enough to know who this person is, I have a few guess now that it has been brought to our attention) don't worry about it here, please just do the best you can and continue to participate in this forum. 

What can we do to help make it easier for this person to post here without them getting frustrated and not contributing here any longer?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Bru is not so bad

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Off-topic to be sure, but it's the off-season, so WTH ...

Anyway, no idea who this is and don't really care, except I certainly sympathize with anyone suffering from dyslexia.

I have to say though, I have never heard dyslexia used as a problem associated with typing/writing.  I thought it was solely a reading disorder.  Am I wrong?

Here is the Mayo Clinic's definition:

Dyslexia is a learning disorder characterized by difficulty reading. Also called specific reading disability, dyslexia is a common learning disability in children. Dyslexia occurs in children with normal vision and intelligence. Sometimes, dyslexia goes undiagnosed for years and isn't recognized until adulthood.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I think you misspelled "misspelled."  It happens...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I think you misspelled "misspelled."  It happens...

Funny....It "do" happen but not this time....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to MoreRings' comment:

Bru is not so bad

Bdbreu is dyslexic?  Umm, I don't think that is the case.  I focus only on his automatic BB bashing and Brady mediocre or poor postseason play deflection comments, as he follows the other 10-12 people around doing the same thing.

I would never target anyone for a learning disability. I focus only his comments.

I don't think it's a lot to ask for people to discuss in good faith instead of typing 5-8 words in every response, adding nothing to the discussion.

uummm how would u know? u a doctor now?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Bru is not so bad

Bdbreu is dyslexic?  Umm, I don't think that is the case.  I focus only on his automatic BB bashing and Brady mediocre or poor postseason play deflection comments, as he follows the other 10-12 people around doing the same thing.

I would never target anyone for a learning disability. I focus only his comments.

I don't think it's a lot to ask for people to discuss in good faith instead of typing 5-8 words in every response, adding nothing to the discussion.

I hope you are referring to Gunty:)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Even worse on an IPAD

If you use an ipad on this board, you will find that 70% of what you type will be auto corrected into something else...I think it has something to do with the connectativity to this site.

I turned off the damn autocorrect it was so annoying. iPads are great for reading, terrible for writing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Bru is not so bad

I hope you are referring to Gunty:)

nope

Sections
Shortcuts