Having it both ways

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Having it both ways

As soon as I saw the name Easley I expected exactly what I found when I logged on this morniing.  It is the inevitable, unrelenting 'BB can't draft to save his a_$$' mantra.  Thing is, I seem to recall a lot of the same internet GMs applauding Lombardi's affiliation with the team as the fix for BB's 'deplorable' drafting. 

OK, if the pick sux soooooooo bad where the he11 was our lord and savior Lombardi when the pick was made? 

Vent away - it's what the board is all about but try a little consistency once in a while.

And of course I'm a hopeless homer - but at least I'm consistent about it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Having it both ways

ATJ, like you I am a hopeless homer. I would say, this was an outside the box pick for BB in the 1st round. These injury/upside picks are usually reserved for the mid round picks. For my money this is a highly risky pick for the 1st round which I hope turns out to be a home run but on the surface based on Easly injury history it sort of reeks of a major reach. As a hopeless homer I hope this kid is healthy and is a significant contributor to their championship run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ATJ, like you I am a hopeless homer. I would say, this was an outside the box pick for BB in the 1st round. These injury/upside picks are usually reserved for the mid round picks. For my money this is a highly risky pick for the 1st round which I hope turns out to be a home run but on the surface based on Easly injury history it sort of reeks of a major reach. As a hopeless homer I hope this kid is healthy and is a significant contributor to their championship run.

[/QUOTE]

Fair point, jri.  Time will tell on this guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not watching much college football, I don't really have strong opinions on any of these rookies.  The injury history worries me, but from what I've read I like the style of player.  Easley and Armstead (assuming he pans out this year, too) give us two athletic guys who can play inside and, at times, outside.  They should make our DL more aggressive, with a better interior pass rush.  And their versatility (I think Armstead can probably play outside too) means they can provide some relief for both the interior line men (Kelly, Wilfork, Silaga, etc.) and maybe even the exterior (Chandler Jones, Nink).  

Who knows how he'll turn out, but if healthy, Easley's style should contribute to that greater aggressiveness many of us have hoped for on the D line.  We also can start to do more of what Seattle did last year--rotate lots of guys in and out to give us different combinations of skills and keep guys fresh. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

ATJ.. too many "arm chair" GMs here.  An opinion is one thing, but the way they are flying here being so negative, wow!  Unless a Clowney, Mack, Mathews, or other player fans here salivate over, who would have only been available if the Pats had a high pick, folks got to realize the Pats do not get those types of players. I have to admit, the injure history of this player does make one wonder.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ATJ.. too many "arm chair" GMs here.  An opinion is one thing, but the way they are flying here being so negative, wow!  Unless a Clowney, Mack, Mathews, or other player fans here salivate over, who would have only been available if the Pats had a high pick, folks got to realize the Pats do not get those types of players. I have to admit, the injure history of this player does make one wonder.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

This is what people don't like. The talent for the kid is there but on a team that in recent years has suffered 1 injury after the next you draft a kid in the 1st with 2 knee issues already, who's primary weapon is his explosiveness? That's a major risk no matter how you take it. Put it this way, try to look up one comment or one article on the kid that doesn't use the terms "if healthy" or "when he can stay healthy". Ras-I left a very bitter taste in peoples mouths (as it should have) and this pick feels much of the same. No one expected Clowney or Mack but is it too much to ask for a player that doesn't have 35 year old knees in the 1st?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

To me the real having it both ways thing comes from the whiners who always say they want pass rush and that interior pass rush is more important AND that Brady's window is closing.

Easley can rush and be disruptive from both outside and inside. Check that box.

If he plays this year and does well at whatever role he captures and helps be a piece of a superbowl winning team but in later years is always injured, so.  He became a piece to a team that won a superbowl before Brady's window closed. Check that box as well.

Clearly folks just always want something to b!tc4 about...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I posted yesterday that I don't think there are many 45 man game day roster spots open, and that I think they are looking to the future with this draft. They signed Revis, Browner, LaFell and Will Smith, and have Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly and Gronk coming back from injuries. Those are 8 important guys who should be on the 45 man roster every week (if Gronk is healthy) who were not on the roster that made it to the AFCC game. Many of them are a significant upgrade over they guys whose place they will be taking. And most of the players who played in that AFCC game are back. They already have a lot of young guys like Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Armstead, Buchannon, Beauharnis, Collins, Jones, Vellano, Siglia, Harmon, and Ryan who have a year in the system. The roster is deep already, there will be a lot more competition for roster spots this year. Wouldn't surprise me if they really like what they see with Easley and know they can bring him along slowly to make sure he is healthy. Rumor is that Seattle had him pegged at 32, so there is no way they would have got him late in the 2nd round. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The torn acls don't bother me as they are freak injuries and if he does indeed have any kind of  weak tendon issue it has now been resolved with the surgery.(This isn't groin pulls)

I wasn't happy with the pick because I didn't hear as much about this guy as the other popular names. Granted I didn't have as much time for studying draft prospects as years past but now that I read the very popular feed back on this player I am much happier with the pick.

Between Wilfork, Kelly, Siligia, Smith, Armstead, and Easley I am fairly confident we have more depth at the d line and can afford to work Easley into the line up much like Collins last year....unless he doesn't even need that transition time!!!

The only fair criticism I can understand is that we took him too early, but that is speculation at best. Nobody knows if this guy would have made it past the seahawks or the 1st few picks of round 2!

"Defense Wins Championships"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Here we are at another NFL drat, and I'm sitting here scratching my head over the 1st round selection. Every good thing I hear about Easley is associated with an "IF", as in IF he can stay healthy. We've seen over the years the signing of players with a good "risk/reward" scenario. But, I just can't wrap my mind around this happening with a first round selecion. Not only did he miss most of the recent 2013 season with an ACL injury, he also missed a good chunk of time with an ACL on his OTHER knee. Sorry, Gang, but there is absolutely NO ONE in the entire world that can guarandamntee that he WON'T get reinjured. This sort of pick with very limited RECENT playing time in college would seem t be a better fit in the 3rd round than the 1st. Playing the DLine you KNOW he's going to be subject to strenuous physicality, including the OLine "questionable" blocking schemes. The risk for aditional or more severe injury to repaired KNEES isway too big for me. They could have traded down or out of the first round to get at least healthier player(s) to fill the defensive need they have. Stevie Wonder could see that they couldn't get of the field, especially on 3rd downs, ye they draft an already severely injured player waiting to be injured again. He goes down in the pre-season, not that this EVER happens, and so much for a #1. Now, settle down, as I know "boo boo owies" can happen to any player at any time. I'm just saying that there is a higher risk with Easley.

He may be the best character individual in th entire draft, with a strong will power and ethic. I applaud him for this, as it may very well be most deserved. The world needs folks like Mr Easley in it. But, give me a healthy, bad aZZ DLine player anytime. Let's see if Mr Easley is still playing in a few years, or if re-injury takes place, creating a career ending situation.

Even if this selection may have been financially related, it doesn't seem to be a good fit to the real Patriot need.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The torn acls don't bother me as they are freak injuries and if he does indeed have any kind of  weak tendon issue it has now been resolved with the surgery.(This isn't groin pulls)

I wasn't happy with the pick because I didn't hear as much about this guy as the other popular names. Granted I didn't have as much time for studying draft prospects as years past but now that I read the very popular feed back on this player I am much happier with the pick.

Between Wilfork, Kelly, Siligia, Smith, Armstead, and Easley I am fairly confident we have more depth at the d line and can afford to work Easley into the line up much like Collins last year....unless he doesn't even need that transition time!!!

The only fair criticism I can understand is that we took him too early, but that is speculation at best. Nobody knows if this guy would have made it past the seahawks or the 1st few picks of round 2!

[/QUOTE]

Depth? Yes.But, it's all coming of injury. That's real scary, as injuris do ave a nasty way of re-occuring. Then, so much for depth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

1) RE: "... I found when I logged on this morniing. It is the inevitable, unrelenting 'BB can't draft to save his a_$$' mantra. "

I guess I missed those posts.   Sounds like a touch of hyperbole to me.  I don't like the pick and said as much.  Too bad we couldn't look at the guys that were picked but had the team names hidden so no one knew who went where.   I bet a lot of folks would react differently if that were the case.

2) RE: "OK, if the pick sux soooooooo bad where the he11 was our lord and savior Lombardi when the pick was made?"

It would not surprise me at all if there was a difference of opinion in the room (assuming Lombardi was even there).  Everyone knows that BB has the final say.  So, if Lombardi lobbied for Tuitt, for example, but BB was in love with Easley, Lombardi loses.

Although I am speculating here, this type of thing happens in businesses of all stripes across the country thousands of times a year.   You bring in "The Guy" hoping to inject new blood into the process;  but The Guy is not utilized to his full potential.  The end result is more status quo rather than real change.

It's not "having it both ways" to me at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Catfish all of the BB bashers have been giving Lombardi credit for the FA signings.  So now we are in a world where BB listens to Lombo on FA, but not the draft.  LOL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Catfish all of the BB bashers have been giving Lombardi credit for the FA signings.  So now we are in a world where BB listens to Lombo on FA, but not the draft.  LOL.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that most of the "credit" Lombardi was given for the FA signings was tongue in cheek.  I know my posts were intended that way.  I tried to make mine over the top so there would be no confusion.

I mean, come on ... does anyone seriously think Lombardi has any clout if BB feels differently?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pretty much what catfish said.

But on the headline, why can't we get an interior pass rusher with two knees with major injures? Is it really so much to ask to get an interior rusher that has durability that we can't have it both ways?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pretty much what catfish said.

But on the headline, why can't we get an interior pass rusher with two knees with major injures? Is it really so much to ask to get an interior rusher that has durability that we can't have it both ways?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

BB loves guys with injury issues, so it is too much to ask for durable players.  Those guys come in mid season off the scrap heap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'll tell you what, I'll take this kid over some cornerback reach at that spot...or a trade back to get some marginal player of need. Think of it this way...where we were picking there was no sure shots...and there will be around 15 rookies who will miss their entire seasons due to tanning camp injuries...Easley may actually be getting healthy, while others are going down.

If he's healthy Easley is a very very good pick...has anyone seen the video from his workout a week ago? He moves pretty darn well right now and he is on record saying he is at 80/85%. I'd like to see him at 100% come November.

The most surprising thing to me is the switch in defensive philosophy for this team...I think the 34 is just about gone here...if not then nix or Tuitt might of been the pick...Easley has more upside than both anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Perhaps there was a touch of hyperbole in my original post but not a great deal of it.  There were some pretty intense posts out there (still are actually) about what a poor drafter BB is.  And of course he's got the final decision but I do seem to recall Lombardi being regarded by many as the solution to BB's draft 'ineptitude' and that is not hyperbole.  

For the record, I like the pick and so did Seattle.  There is quite a bit of evidence to support Seattle's intent to draft Easley at 32.  I'm guessing BB was aware of Seattle's intent (how I don't know) and drafted accordingly.  Except for Donald all of the other DT's mentioned are clearly not first round talent or else they would have went there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For the record, I like the pick and so did Seattle.  There is quite a bit of evidence to support Seattle's intent to draft Easley at 32.  I'm guessing BB was aware of Seattle's intent (how I don't know) and drafted accordingly.  Except for Donald all of the other DT's mentioned are clearly not first round talent or else they would have went there.

[/QUOTE]

This is the same rationale that we heard for the "reach" to take Tavon Wilson (to name one).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'll tell you what, I'll take this kid over some cornerback reach at that spot...or a trade back to get some marginal player of need. Think of it this way...where we were picking there was no sure shots...and there will be around 15 rookies who will miss their entire seasons due to tanning camp injuries...Easley may actually be getting healthy, while others are going down.

If he's healthy Easley is a very very good pick...has anyone seen the video from his workout a week ago? He moves pretty darn well right now and he is on record saying he is at 80/85%. I'd like to see him at 100% come November.

The most surprising thing to me is the switch in defensive philosophy for this team...I think the 34 is just about gone here...if not then nix or Tuitt might of been the pick...Easley has more upside than both anyway.

mthurl, the voice of reason. Your next post is 10,000. Congrats!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

BB addressed a need w/ Easley.  There's "risk" with every pick.  I'm not sure what whining you're referring to. The Pats still need to address the OL, TE, and SS positions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is the same rationale that we heard for the "reach" to take Tavon Wilson (to name one).

[/QUOTE]

OK, so we can disagree here.  I'm fine with that and trust that you are as well.  That was not the original point of the thread which I don't really think I need to restate.  People either disagree with the point or they don't.  If you agree, fine; if you don't, fine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

As soon as I saw the name Easley I expected exactly what I found when I logged on this morniing.  It is the inevitable, unrelenting 'BB can't draft to save his a_$$' mantra.  Thing is, I seem to recall a lot of the same internet GMs applauding Lombardi's affiliation with the team as the fix for BB's 'deplorable' drafting. 

OK, if the pick sux soooooooo bad where the he11 was our lord and savior Lombardi when the pick was made? 

Vent away - it's what the board is all about but try a little consistency once in a while.

And of course I'm a hopeless homer - but at least I'm consistent about it.

[/QUOTE]

I've told you, dude. They're frauds. They also mocked Lombardi for being fired after a tremendous job in just 1 year there. The millisecond BB put him here on the payroll, they then claimed he was great and would tell BB what to do. 

They're frauds.

The fact is, Lombardi has had the same job since 2010 for BB and the Pats. That's a fact. It's just that he's officially paid now for it.

Every year these same dorky morons claim they know more than BB and the scouts.  Every single year.  It wouldn't matter who BB picked. These fans like it when wind tunnel tested mop head Kipie runs around ESPN talking about how great BB's pick or picks are, but Mel Kiper is a moron.

BB picks players who fit the mold for what he wants, projecting UP, not staying the same from the NCAA level, but just playing in the NFL now. Most of the time, he's right on with that.

You're not a homer. You're a reasonable, rational adult who is educated and gets it.  Very, very few people remain here who are like that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that most of the "credit" Lombardi was given for the FA signings was tongue in cheek.  I know my posts were intended that way.  I tried to make mine over the top so there would be no confusion.

I mean, come on ... does anyone seriously think Lombardi has any clout if BB feels differently?

[/QUOTE]

No, but it's clearly good to have people you trust working for you and being a sounding board.  Many here claimed BB just recently was using Lombardi to save his GM work, which is clearly immature and incorrect.

BB has done VERY well since 2010 unearthing good, young talent here overall, since he lost Pioli in 2009. It took a year for him to regroup from a infrastructure standpoint, which is not surprising.  He hired Reese to tutor Caserio and work the contracts and then used Lombardi as a consultant, which were both great moves.

I find it amazing as someone who lives out of the Boston area how spoiled, entitled and disgusting some of our fans are.

I'll say it again, if Brady isn't mediocre all the time in the postseason for so many years, none of this rhetoric exists.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Chris Jones at DT.  Imagine how much more effective he'd be in less snaps.  

Sections
Shortcuts