Haynesworth:"We need to be a lot better,especially up front"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Haynesworth:"We need to be a lot better,especially up front"

from WEEI.com:

FOXBORO — He’s been around less than two months, but Albert Haynesworth certainly sounds like someone who’s been around here much longer. In the wake of the 38-24 win over the Dolphins Monday night in Miami, the defensive tackle acknowledged that there were some good things that took place. But at the same time, he said there was plenty of work still to be done.

“We have to be a lot better, especially up front,” Haynesworth said before practice on Wednesday. “I can only talk about what we do as us, personally. I think we let hem score too many points and get too many yards. Once we figure out that and keep playing hard and getting after the quarterback, we’ll be all right.”

Reminded that the Patriots — who were one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL last season when it came to third-down defense — held Miami to 2-for-14 on third down on Monday, Haynesworth pointed out that New England actually had some issues on fourth down.

“Yeah, that was great, 2-for-14. But I think we were 4-for-5 on fourth down, so again, you have to get off the field,” he said. “You have to stop them. We just have to play better as a front, as a defense. If we want to be that top ranked defense, then we have to play like it.”

Haynesworth, who was on the field for 30 of the 77 defensive snaps Monday night in his Patriots’ debut, finished with two tackles (he also drew two holding penalties, as Miami guard Richie Incognito was flagged twice for holding when he was going against Haynesworth). He said he felt good in the wake of the contest, but still believes he has a long way to go, adding that some of the errors he’s encountered were the result of getting used to a new scheme.

“I just have to cut out some of the mental errors. I still have to feel comfortable with what I’m doing and trust in it, and then, I’ll be more effective,” Haynesworth said.

“When you’re in a scheme for a long time, it’s like automatically a given on what you’re going to do. And then, when you come to a new scheme, there’s a little bit of thinking. What I have to do is believe in it, even though it’s a different word that we use, it’s still the same technique and still believe and get after it.”

Haynesworth also discussed the challenge of going up against this week’s opponent, the San Diego Chargers.

“I have a history with San Diego — I played them for a while, and I know they’re a very good team. They have a great quarterback. They have a great offensive line. It’s going to be a tough challenge. We’re going to have to play a lot better than we did at Miami as a defensive front,” Haynesworth said.

“(Philip Rivers) is a great quarterback. He’s proven. He’s been playing extremely well. He had over 4,500 yards last year passing last year. He’s definitely one of the top guys in the NFL,” he added. “He’s a great quarterback. He’s going to get rid of the ball. He won’t take a ton of sacks. You’ve got to get pressure.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Haynesworth:"We need to be a lot better,especially up front"

Wow. Big Al is drinking the kool-aid in Foxboro. 

Love that. 

I also love that he evinces competitiveness and pride in his play. That is a lot, lot more than some other stiffs that have been in here recently like Adalius Thomas. I love that he is hard on himself too, even though  the 30 plays he was in there for were likely 30 of the best. He needs to play more downs though, that is for sure. 

Haynesworth wants to improve and is already talking like a vet leader out there. 

Go get em boys!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Honestly Washington ruined this guys rep.. I think he is who he is, but maybe he took some sips of the koolaide.  Either way he is a competitor that wants to win.  I think that's evident. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Haynesworth:"We need to be a lot better,especially up front":
    [QUOTE]Honestly Washington ruined this guys rep.. I think he is who he is, but maybe he took some sips of the koolaide.  Either way he is a competitor that wants to win.  I think that's evident. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I agree and disagree. I agree because it was really dumb for Shanahan to publicly make a fool out of Haynesworth. You don't win over your players that way. Belichick gave Al the benefit of the doubt and kept him out of practice until he felt he was ready. He protected him from the media as well.

I disagree about the Redskins ruining his rep. If you're paid that much money, you should show up and do what you're asked to do. This is where today's athletes are grossly mistaken. He's had some run-in's with the law too and you can't pin that on the Redskins.

I hope this guy gets it together, no doubt. If we can get a solid 3-4 years out of him, we could run another 3 of 4 super bowls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Glad to see these comments by him.  Certainly seems to be taking things very serious. I still can't get over seeing the bad intentions look on his face prior to kick off.  I think BB and Mr. Kraft have handled this situation 100 percent the right way, treating him right and I think that will go a long way in helping AL to put in the effort for this team.  Shanahan was an idiot the way he handled Albert.  I Also liked how he went over and gave Brady congrats after the big Welker TD.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Haynesworth:"We need to be a lot better,especially up front":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Haynesworth:"We need to be a lot better,especially up front" : I agree and disagree. I agree because it was really dumb for Shanahan to publicly make a fool out of Haynesworth. You don't win over your players that way. Belichick gave Al the benefit of the doubt and kept him out of practice until he felt he was ready. He protected him from the media as well. I disagree about the Redskins ruining his rep. If you're paid that much money, you should show up and do what you're asked to do. This is where today's athletes are grossly mistaken. He's had some run-in's with the law too and you can't pin that on the Redskins. I hope this guy gets it together, no doubt. If we can get a solid 3-4 years out of him, we could run another 3 of 4 super bowls.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

I'm almost going to disagree with my own response to your post, but you have to remember one thing.  Albert did sign a contract believing he was contracted to a specific job in a 4-3.  Then that job changed, as did his desire to play for that team.  Simple as that.  Is he right for the way he handled it... no yet debatable, but regardless I see both sides. 

If I were a player I would just keep following the leader really and do what is asked of me, but you should see the frustration the Albert has had as a player. 

He even stated that he is happy now that he 'can earn his pay check'.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Glad he came out and said this, we need more of this from the defensive players. Was hoping to hear something like this from Big Vince.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BizzaroLaw. Show BizzaroLaw's posts

Thjanks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

[QUOTE]Wow. Big Al is drinking the kool-aid in Foxboro.  Love that.  I also love that he evinces competitiveness and pride in his play. That is a lot, lot more than some other stiffs that have been in here recently like Adalius Thomas. I love that he is hard on himself too, even though  the 30 plays he was in there for were likely 30 of the best. He needs to play more downs though, that is for sure.  Haynesworth wants to improve and is already talking like a vet leader out there.  Go get em boys!
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

LOL Thats just what i was thinking , he's eating the "humble pie". I really like hearing from him though. I really don't care what kind of person he is. I want him to fee comfortable here , in terms of leadership , being part of our team etc. I also like the fact that he's saying this. It tells me that he's ready and feels that he can really produce. Vets like him arn't going to talk without the walk. I really believe that he was the best off season addition of any team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoisesBiggestPatsFan. Show BoisesBiggestPatsFan's posts

I'm getting that feeling again. When brady first started I felt it and said we would win the superbowl. Nobody around me believed. When we got Dillon I said "This is huge. He's gonna run us to the superbowl." Everybody around here thought I was crazy. $200 @ 7:1 in Vegas was good to me that year. When we got Randy Moss I said we were giong undefeated and were gonna win the superbowl. Everybody here said now I really lost it.I was 35 seconds from being right. I'm feeling it again. I think the Pat's are winning the superbowl this year on the strenght of the D. I don't want to jinx them but I'm seeing undefeated. 19-0

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Kansas,

Respectfully, why do you want to hear this from Vince? I get the impression he's a quiet leader and lets his play "lead." He is respected in a large way (pardon the pun) by his teammates as a leader. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I loved reading this.Sounds like he has his head on right and is doing and saying things the Patriot way.If he continues to drink the kool-aid,the Pats have a very dangerous weapon at their disposal.
        Lots of people questioned his coming here and being a distraction,but so far,it looks like Bill's judgement is right again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Wow. Big Al is drinking the kool-aid in Foxboro.  Love that.  I also love that he evinces competitiveness and pride in his play. That is a lot, lot more than some other stiffs that have been in here recently like Adalius Thomas. I love that he is hard on himself too, even though  the 30 plays he was in there for were likely 30 of the best. He needs to play more downs though, that is for sure.  Haynesworth wants to improve and is already talking like a vet leader out there.  Go get em boys!

Absolutely! Unlike Ocho, Haynesworth appears to have bought in to the Patriot Way. If healthy, he's going to contribute to the "D" in a big way!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

tp3, I would argue that coho IS drinking the koolaid. He as been low key, quiet, and focused. I like it. He also lad out and made a circus catch when called on. More touches? I don't care. Branch wasn't lighting it up either. We exploited what was there to exploit. I expect the chargers to attack our te's and dare us to throw to receivers, and I expect ocho/branch/welk/price to answer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

al is right 4 out of 5 converted 4th downs is terrible. 
    and yes i will love it when he is great shape and can play a lot of plays.
    it's great to have him!

Sections
Shortcuts