Haynesworth announces he wants traded. Do the Pats make a deal for Mankins?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Haynesworth announces he wants traded. Do the Pats make a deal for Mankins?

No way this happens.

- Haynesworth is head case. Mankins is a team player but his representation has gotten the best of him. He's getting top-5 money and he's turning it down. Haynesworth has always been plagued by these off-field issues: stepping on people's heads, diving at knees, getting $100 million and not even showing up to team activities.

- Do the numbers even work? I'm not sure how trades work in the NFL but I know his contract is a huge one and the Patriots could not take it on. They could do a sign and trade with Mankins but even then, do the salary figures have to match up like in the NBA? Not to mention, you have to get Mankins to agree with the Patriots first.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Haynesworth doesn't want to play in a 34 defense. Plus bringing him in would take up too much cap space. 100 million is a lot of money. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Well first off , you have to ask the question ... do we want him? Listen if you've watched football in the past 5-6 years then you know how dominant Big Al can be , but there is real cause for concern w/ him. Its not just some fake made up BS that some players get tagged w/. Well we know this , he wants to play in a 4-3 , would we change our whole D-system for him. His skill set is worth it , but Im not sure you can trust him to be that team player that you need to win w/. And one cant help to imagine what a Fork/Big AL interior would be like. LOL your talking about 700lb's of always pissed off man w/ them two. Your not running on a Fork/Big Al wall. Next question , do we have the guys to make the switch from playing the 5 techinque to playing DE? Maybe Warren and Roth on the outside , not sure how much pressure you could expect from them two , but again your not running on a line like that. I mean that would probably be the best D-line in football. Overall I think it could work , but what does that say to your team? You change your whole D-system for one guy? And a guy that has had problems everywhere hes been. And in terms of who gets picks back I cant see Washington giving up any picks. The trade does work from the standpoint of them needing some real help on the O-line. But will change our whole D-system for one guy and will we pay a guy that much money that only plays 55% of the snaps. Especially after what we just went through w/ Fork. I say no , but if it does happen that would be a top 3 D-line right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sorry, ONE-TIME, as long as the Patriots are coached by Bill Belichick and have to face Peyton Manning on a yearly basis they will never switch to a 43. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

You know what would make me happy? A trade for Albert Haynesworth. Logan Mankins in exchange for Haynesworth and a conditional fourth round pick that could possibly elevate to a second round pick. You think Shanny would go for that? Convincing GM Dan Snyder might be a tough go, but I think it's reasonable to assume Big Al is attainable at the right price. Imagine how much better the defense would look? He'd be able to add so much to the line and help our linebackers and conversely our secondary. My only worry? Ty Warren's recent admiration for the vibe around Foxboro. Practice and the players, everything is clicking on a personal level for these guys, and that's good; not something you want to disrupt. Would an acquisition of Haynesworth ruin that? Eh, I think it would solidify leadership if anything. Al turns 29 tomorrow, I wonder if his recent plea for a trade is a business cry in response to Mankins. A trade demand, a standoff, two good sets of friends (Shannahan and Bill Belichick; Dan Snyder and Bob Kraft), and the proper compensation. That is all it takes to get this deal done. Washington could use the help next to recent high draft selection Trent Williams -- Mankins fits that profile -- New England could definitely put itself over the top with a stud defensive linemen in tandem with Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork. And with all of the recent hubbub about the CBA uncertainty and whatnot, Kraft gets his already paid super star with a reasonable yearly salary and Snyder gets his team another strong piece to build around in his aggressive pursuit for success. I think this is a perfect marriage.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

The whole 3-4/4-3 thing is posturing, I think. He couldn't really care less where and how he's used. In New England, he'll win, he'll have great teammates, he'll be directed by a head coach and owner who know how to drive a team, and the motive will be huge for him with a stage to showcase it on. Haynesworth is definitely worth it. He is not a thug off the streets. Are there any stories of that? He's a mean, talented bully of a football player. He's a business man maybe a little bit too much but a player nonetheless. He is a fit and he brings what the Pats could use, harsh intensity. Other than that, they (the Pats), have got everything else they need to win a Super Bowl. Albert Haynesworth, as far as I can tell, is honest, levelheaded and fun. Bring em in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aWuTmFCF4I

Remember this play? Who's Tom Brady like more, Albert Haynesworth on his own defense or Logan Mankins just being one of the other guys up front? Which presence is more appealing to the potentially soon-to-be free agent?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Just a question:
    Haynesworth only has a problem with a 3-4 defense if he is going to play nose tackle right? - But could he not be used as DL instead?

I think Mankins statement is very pathetic, and I really dont see him as a team player anymore. He is all for the money like Hayneswoth, so no difference there.

I bet Haynesworth would play for less in NE. He wants a SB ring now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Doesn't want to play in our defense and we can't pay him.  Other than that it's brilliant. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

actually most of haynesworths contract $ has already been paid. the Redskins cut Haynesworth a check for $21 million on April 1, a payment called for by the big contract he signed with the team just over a year ago. That means that the Redskins have now paid Haynesworth about $31 million of the $41 million that he is guaranteed. They would be responsible for the guaranteed $.  If we did trade for haynesworth we would get a dominant defensive lineman for guaranteed salaries of $3.6 million in 2010 and $5.4 million in 2011 (the two combed equal the remaining balance of guaranteed money due Haynesworth) and $6.7 million in salary plus a $500,000 workout bonus for 2012. Doing the math, that comes to $5.4 million a year, a bargain rate assuming that Haynesworth is productive. 

By picking him up teams could/would not try to run the ball against us. wilfork, haynesworth, warren, brace in the middle would be deadly.

http://realredskins.com/2010/04/haynesworth-the-31-million-question/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: Haynesworth announces he wants traded. Do the Pats make a deal for Mankins?:
    Doesn't want to play in our defense and we can't pay him.  Other than that it's brilliant. 
    Posted by 123meg

Correction, the word from his people were he didnt want to play nose in a 3-4 Def. and he wouldnt play nose here. As we have one of the best nose guards in the league in Vince Wilfork. He could potentially play the Seymour role, he defintely big enough. He's listed at 6'6 350 and ran a 4.8 forty at the combine coming out of Tennessee. So I wouldnt see that as being problem. But his lack of experience in the 3-4 would draw more concern from me. And his wacky behavior off field would also scare me. But he's talented.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

put him as a D-lineman next to wilfork (maybe seymore role) and i think he would be pretty happy. I think he just might be able to draw double coverage like wilfork that means there would only be 7 more players on the opposing offense -1 for the QB means we only have 6 players to deal with. I say go for it. I bet we could get pressure on the QB with that set.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: Haynesworth announces he wants traded. Do the Pats make a deal for Mankins?:
    put him as a D-lineman next to wilfork (maybe seymore role) and i think he would be pretty happy. I think he just might be able to draw double coverage like wilfork that means there would only be 7 more players on the opposing offense -1 for the QB means we only have 6 players to deal with. I say go for it. I bet we could get pressure on the QB with that set.
    Posted by natesubs

Hell yeah he'd pressure the QB. Thats what he does the best and he's also good against the run. And that'll make the OLBs job alot easier if the ends are consistently drawing doubles.That'll get edge rushers matched up on runningbacks and Tight Ends in pursuit of the QB. I like that scenario.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Haynesworth announces he wants traded. Do the Pats make a deal for Mankins?:
    Would Haynesworth want to come here? Would he be any better a "team player" than Mankins in acting? Could we use him. Could we get a pick out of Washington to? Discuss...
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

Mankins for Haynesworth??? Hell NO!!!! The Redskins are on the verge of giving this lazy slob his unconditional release. Haynesworth has graciously accepted $41mil. in guaranteed money from Danny Snyder...and hasn't lifted a finger to earn it. The guy has a lot of nerve complaining about playing in whatever system they want him to play in: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/15/albert-haynesworth-proves-his-worthlessness/

Furthermore, who in their right mind is going to trade for Haynesworth, and accept the remnants of that ridiculous $100mil. dollar contract that Haynesworth snookered out of Snyder?

If Mankins is to be traded, make it for at minimum a #1 draft choice.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Well, we are losing Mankins anyway. So.....

RESPONSE:  So...what? Just because Mankins is whining about his contract, do you think the Pats should give him away?

Washington isn't really the best environment with Dan Snyder, constant coaching changes, QB changes, etc. The beauty is he wants out of there and has been paid out the majority of his deal.

RESPONSE: As you may know from past posts many moons ago, I'm not a big fan of Snyder or the Redskins. But, Haynesworth took their globs of money. The least he can do is do whats'  asked of him to earn it.

You start thinking about a Haynesworth, Wilfork and Ty Warren front 3 and that immediately makes your front 7 a top 5 front 7 in all of the NFL. Smells like an opportunity to me.

RESPONSE: Thats' assuming that Haynesworth would switch positions from a 4-3 DT to a 3-4 DE...and would move himself away from his flapjack table at I-Hop, and play ball. If the Pats trade for him, they'll have to pay him the remnants of that ridiculous 100mil. contract. Why do that, and give up Mankins too...especially when the 'Skins appear to be on the verge of releasing him?

The other rumor is Mankins to Denver via ESPN. Anyone have Insider?   I can't imagine it being for Dumervil considering he wants Peppers money.

RESPONSE: That's an interesting thought.  

Mankins being dealt is more about money than it is getting a draft pick back. I'd be thrilled with another #1 pick, but that's unlikely because of what Mankins will command for his new deal, wherever that is.

RESPONSE: Mankins is a pro-bowl OG. Surely there's a market for him.

I'd take a Haynesworth deal straight up for Mankins in a heartbeat knowing how much that would this D that much better, propelling it into nastyland overnight. Texas Pat, last time, his deal has been mostly paid out to this point.  The remaining years on the deal are very affordable for that caliber of a player and I think it's only one more season of guaranteed money. He's handicapped them for 2 years and now has the balls to ask for a trade.

RESPONSE: Russ...taking on the head-case Haynesworth, and his still fairly large salary is a huge risk. If he didn't want to play in a 3-4 at NT in Washington, what makes you think he's willing to be a 3-4 DE with the Pats? The guy can't be trusted to give 100%. Mankins, unlike Haynesworth, just wants more money. Lack of effort has never been a problem with him. Do you really think that Mankins is willing to sit out 2 years without pay? This matter is similar to the situation the Pats had with Deion Branch. It will work itself out over the next month. The Pats won't let Mankins go without getting at least a first round draft choice in return. 

Posted by russgriswold

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on Hayneswoth, as veteran LB London Fletcher sums up what 'Skins players think of Fat Albert:  http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/fletcher-haynesworths-minicamp.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

RESPONSE:  So...what? Just because Mankins is whining about his contract, do you think the Pats should give him away?

No, but dont forget how he threw the owner under the bus, too. Thats the reason many believe Vrabel's no longer on this squad. And with the youngers players we have in the coming up why would you put the kind of money he's looking for? I'm sure a blend of rotational players could do an effective job.

RESPONSE: As you may know from past posts many moons ago, I'm not a big fan of Snyder or the Redskins. But, Haynesworth took their globs of money. The least he can do is do whats'  asked of him to earn it.

Oh, and thats why they were trying to trade him during the draft, right?

RESPONSE: Thats' assuming that Haynesworth would switch positions from a 4-3 DT to a 3-4 DE...and would move himself away from his flapjack table at I-Hop, and play ball. If the Pats trade for him, they'll have to pay him the remnants of that ridiculous 100mil. contract. Why do that, and give up Mankins too...especially when the 'Skins appear to be on the verge of releasing him?

Dude, that contract is actually a 4year contract with worth 41 million. With 32million being paid in the 1st year. With an escape clause after  the 4th year. Meaning that leaves some 8million to be paid over the next 3 seasons.

RESPONSE: Mankins is a pro-bowl OG. Surely there's a market for him.

Not when you have to match salary with Jabari Evans there isnt. The guy wants 7-9 million a year. So, if your a GM tell how you tell the owner you work for "Yeah, we' justgave New England a 1st for Logan Mankins and negotiate a deal that rivals Evans"....FIRED!!!

RESPONSE: Russ...taking on the head-case Haynesworth, and his still fairly large salary is a huge risk. If he didn't want to play in a 3-4 at NT in Washington, what makes you think he's willing to be a 3-4 DE with the Pats? The guy can't be trusted to give 100%. Mankins, unlike Haynesworth, just wants more money. Lack of effort has never been a problem with him. Do you really think that Mankins is willing to sit out 2 years without pay? This matter is similar to the situation the Pats had with Deion Branch. It will work itself out over the next month.  

LmAo, Like Deion Branch, huh? How did that end again. Oh yea he was traded. What makes Haynesworth more likely to play DE is its not nose tackle. Essestially, in the Patriots scheme they play with 2 DTs and a nose guard. Haynesworth can play the Seymour role no problem. He's more athletic with more better size.

Posted by TexasPat3

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

RESPONSE:  No, but dont forget how he threw the owner under the bus, too. Thats the reason many believe Vrabel's no longer on this squad.

RESPONSE: Nonsense. The Pats threw Vrable into the Cassel did because they thought he was done, didn't want to pay him his roster bonus, and because they wanted to be spared from cutting him...whereas he would have likely wound up with the Jets.

And with the youngers players we have in the coming up why would you put the kind of money he's looking for? I'm sure a blend of rotational players could do an effective job.

RESPONSE: Here I tend to agree with you. Tying up over $8mil. per season for an OG not named Steve Hutchinson is too much cash.

Oh, and thats why they were trying to trade him during the draft, right?

RESPONSE: What does that have to do with my reply? Nobody wanted Haynesworth...nobody was even willing to part with a 3rd rounder for him. I wonder why?? 

Dude, that contract is actually a 4year contract with worth 41 million. With 32million being paid in the 1st year. With an escape clause after  the 4th year. Meaning that leaves some 8million to be paid over the next 3 seasons.

RESPONSE: Even if your figures are accurate, why spend good money, and trade a quality player, for a guy whose a dog, and a head-case...and a guy who the Redskins will likely release anyway, before the start of the season? 

Not when have to match salary with Jabari Evans there isnt. The guy wants 7-9 million a year. So, if your a GM tell how you tell the owner you work for "Yeah, we' justgave New England a 1st for Logan Mankins and negotiate a deal that rivals Evans"....FIRED!!!

RESPONSE: Mankins is a pro-bowl caliber player...and is a better player than Jabari Evans. If the Saints were willing to fork over such a big contract for Evans, surely there are teams out there, in this uncapped year, who might be willing to pay Mankins. The Seattle Seahawks chose to part with a #1 draft choice, and still pay big bucks to get Deion Branch. So...it happens, dude. 

LmAo, Like Deion Branch, huh? How did that end again.

RESPONSE: It ended up great for tthe Pats, who got a first round pick from Seattle, and used it to draft Brandon Meriweather. But, how it ended up is not the point. The fact that there was a team that was willing to part with a first round pick, and pay big bucks to sign the player, is!!

What makes Haynesworth more likely to play DE is its not nose tackle. Essestially, in the Patriots scheme they play with 2 DTs and a nose guard. Haynesworth can play the Seymour role no problem. He's more athletic with more better size.

RESPONSE: There's no question that Haynesworth is talented. But, there's also no question that he's a head-case. Why bring in another Adalius Thomas type...and trade away the rights on a pro-bowl OG to boot??  

Posted by TexasPat3  
    Posted by datdude401

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on the delightful Albert Haynesworth: 

Report: Redskins to pursue Haynesworth's $21 million

The Redskins have paid defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth $30 million dollars in less than 16 months.  Now that Haynesworth has given the team the proverbial finger and refused to show up for a mandatory minicamp in the hopes of forcing a trade, the team plans to fight back.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Redskins will try to recover the $21 million paid to Haynesworth as of April 1.  Earlier today, coach Mike Shanahan indicated that the team was willing to cut Haynesworth before he received the money, and that Haynesworth was told that once he took the money, the team expected him to play whatever position the team asked him to play.

Per the report, the NFLPA "assured" Haynesworth before he decided to take a stand that he'd be able to keep his money.  (We hope the NFLPA is current on its insurance premiums.)  Another source tells Schefter that the relevant terms of the labor deal are "open to interpretation," and that the egregious nature of Haynesworth's actions could influence the outcome in the team's favor.

The case will turn on the language of the contract and the forfeiture provisions of the CBA, which currently limits teams to the recovery of signing bonus money after a holdout or retirement.

We're in the process of tracking down the contract so that we can analyze the issues and explain them -- even though only 17 or so of you will care about the details.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The idea of having a beast like Haynesworth join Wilfork on the line (at a reasonable price) is very tempting.  But that's assuming Albert is motivated, in shape and not a cancerous presence.  That's a big assumption at this point so I doubt the Pats are willing to gamble on Albert.  Haynesworth is not the Jerry Rice of D-lineman, he is the T.O. of D-lineman.  He seems destined to play great  enough to entice a team to give him big money then return to his old tricks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Corey Dillion....Check

Randy Moss...Check

The he's a troublemaker is mute...

Good luck with Washington getting big Al to pay back anything.

If Haynesworth was liking what he was seeing in Washington all would be fine.

Haynesworth is what..28?

Fresh start here in NE and as I have said before he will play well, very well for a season or two.

That works for me.

He's a force against the run.

He's a force against the pass.

Sure we play the 3/4 but he doesn't have to play nose tackle. And every once in a while we jump to the 4/3.

Haynesworth, Wifork, Warren. I could only hope.

At least ask what the cost would be. Think of his last year with the Titans. We own the Jets O line with him.

Dominate defensive tackles are as scarce as stud QBs. Don't dismiss this.

I say he's a huge upgrade in a league that wants high scoring as you MUST control the line and pressure the QB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

offer mankins for haynesworth and a conditional pick based on haynesworths production and mankins performance (up to a 2nd round pick). Adding haynesworth at DE is just too tempting. I think that with this locker room and BB as head coach and the possibility of getting a ring he will not only behave but he will excel.  The reason he didn't want to play NT in the3-4 is because they are primarily stopping the run, he wants the chance to persue the QB and get some sacks, an option he would have at DE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

RESPONSE: Nonsense. The Pats threw Vrable into the Cassel did because they thought he was done, didn't want to pay him his roster bonus, and because they wanted to be spared from cutting him...whereas he would have likely wound up with the Jets. 

Yeah, you could think that. But after questioning and discussing money being spent by the league and owners on stadiums, Patriot Place and players, he challenged the league on the CBA talks. And that just happens to be where Mr. Kraft is most influential as he has the commissioner(being his biggest supporter before getting the gig and Goodell being a former intern for Kraft). Vrabel, as a plyr rep, was asking for the league to open their books to show how much they actually bring in. And he sounded off:

"What we have is not a partnership," Vrabel said. "If we had a partnership, you would see what we made -- they know what we make -- and we would see what they made. We don't have that. So don't use the word 'partnership' or 'bond' and all that stuff."
    How bad are their books?” Vrabel asked. “They can cut [Raiders cornerback DeAngelo Hall] eight games after they sign him for $70 million. They can offer Brett Favre $10 million a season for 10 years not to play for the Packers. Come on. We ask to see their books and they won’t open them. It’s tough to form a partnership with someone who won’t show us his books. These franchises are worth billions. You open USA Today and they got every player’s salary listed. We have to go to Forbes Magazine to try and guess what the teams are worth.”

RESPONSE: What does that have to do with my reply? Nobody wanted Haynesworth...nobody was even willing to part with a 3rd rounder for him. I wonder why?? 

Dude, they werent asking for a 3rd. They were believed to have been seeking a high 1st rounder and was hoping that a DT starved team would make that leap.

RESPONSE: Even if your figures are accurate, why spend good money, and trade a quality player, for a guy whose a dog, and a head-case...and a guy who the Redskins will likely release anyway, before the start of the season? 

Because he is a game changer and with what we have here he'd produce similiar #s to Seymour at least. At cheaper money(3yrs @ 9mil total).

RESPONSE: Mankins is a pro-bowl caliber player...and is a better player than Jabari Evans. If the Saints were willing to fork over such a big contract for Evans, surely there are teams out there, in this uncapped year, who might be willing to pay Mankins. The Seattle Seahawks chose to part with a #1 draft choice, and still pay big bucks to get Deion Branch. So...it happens, dude. 

Dude, no freakin way he better than Evans. Take the homer shades and be objective. the guy is best OG the game has right now. Look at who they face. Look at the amount of time Brees has to throw. Do you remember we played them last season? He doesnt struggle with speed rushers like Mankins does. And he is 2 yrs younger.

RESPONSE: It ended up great for tthe Pats, who got a first round pick from Seattle, and used it to draft Brandon Meriweather. But, how it ended up is not the point. The fact that there was a team that was willing to part with a first round pick, and pay big bucks to sign the player, is!!

How it ended up is relevant because when a player makes that kinda noise he has it may cause the Patriots to make move. If he wants the money that Evans has he's gone. Simple & plain, just like Branch who didnt budge of his stance.

RESPONSE: There's no question that Haynesworth is talented. But, there's also no question that he's a head-case. Why bring in another Adalius Thomas type...and trade away the rights on a pro-bowl OG to boot??  

And what Mankins is doing by publicly berating the team's front office and owner?
    Oh, I guess he's acting like he's really sane right now, I wont play for 3 plus million because I think Im worth 8. So Im not coming to work. Yell

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would roll the dice on this one. An even swap with Washington I would make. Don't need to throw in any draft picks. 

If it doesn't happen with Washington, I would look for a player swap vs acquiring any draft picks. We are again draft pick heavy next year, so I want a player I can use this year at an area of need. DE is an area of need, especially in our 3-4. The beauty of Haynesworth is that is athletic and large enough to play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE. 

There are many OL needy teams in the league. SUrely we can find a player we can swap for that will add to this team this year. Anyone have any thoughts other than Haynesworth? 

Someone suggested Dumervil?..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Texpat, I was going to agree with you, but when you say such things like "Mankins is better than Evans" and "Chung suks" it makes think you have no idea what you're talking about. 

Haynesworth playing DE in NE would solve all our pass-rushing problems. Mankins is acting like Reevis, he wants at least a penny more than what Evans got. I wish the Pats would get rid of him. He's the only guy missing from camp. He's messing with the vibe the Pats are trying to build. 

Sections
Shortcuts