HAYNESWORTH traded to NEW ENGLAND...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: HAYNESWORTH traded to NEW ENGLAND...

In Response to Re: HAYNESWORTH traded to NEW ENGLAND...:
    Somebody referred to a sexual assault case.  I looked it up.  Apparently Haynesworth got a stripper pregnant.  No sexual assault.  Haynesworth has problems with road rage.  He was driving this February when he and a Honda were tailgaiting, cutting each other off, and the other guy flipped him the bird at a red light.  Haynesworth walked over to the other guy, who had recognized him, and Haynesworth yelled, punched the other driver in the nose once and drove away.  What do you mean he's not a nose tackle?  Maybe Meriweather could straighten Haynesworth's rage problems out.  Actually, BB collects a whole bunch of violent players and Haynesworth should fit right into that 12-step group.   Basically the guy has a rep as a malcontent and he's violent.  No known drinking issues. Big Vince plays defensive end when some huge tackle such as Jake Long needs to be stopped.  Now, either Wilfork or Haynesworth can get that job done, and the other can play nose.
    Posted by Paul_K

Still makes you wonder if this deal gets done if Myra Kraft were still on this earth.

Anyway, I like the move, even if it doesn't work out. It's flat-out bodacious, with minimal risk, and Albert just may find out (I hope) he enjoys playing for a team with legit SB aspirations.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Laz very good break down. That's the Pats D system I was trying to explain to Z but couldn't put it nearly as elegant as you put it. Just imagine Roth opposite Cunningham in that system and drool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbdev1234. Show nbdev1234's posts

No brainer...

Has AH ever played alongside a Wilfork-caliber guy?  VW will be at NT and so AH does not need to worry about playing there, as they tried to force it on him in WASH.

Will teams be double-teaming VW now?  Maybe for the first 3-4 games of the year until AH clicks, but then teams looking at tape will have a dilemma.

This makes it easier for Warren and Cunningham, and maybe Matt Roth and Eric Moore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: HAYNESWORTH traded to NEW ENGLAND... : Completely agreed, except the fact he fits here big time in terms of skill set. Not to defend Haynesworrth at all, because I agree with you, but why sign him to all that money if he's not a fit for you? Shouldn't you have made that a slam dunk (NT for him) before giving him that deal? He wasn't an issue in Tenn either. Also, thaks to Floyd Reese!  He drafted him! BB just feasts on STUPID owners like Al Davis, Mikek Brown and now Snyder. Don't you see? It's like the Jets.  The Jets want the name on the jersey too, but if the foundation is weak, it will not work!! Look at this foundation and compare it to those poorly run teams!  This fact gives BB the leverage to pluck these kinds of opportunities. This is why everyone hates us.  Or at least one of the reasons. $100 after preseason, you'll be loving Haynesworth here.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I live in Northern Virginia, and your information is not completely correct. Albert was signed while Zorn was coaching and the Skins were playing a 4-3 at the time so he was a "fit." When Shanahan came to DC, he annouced that the Skins would be switching to a 3-4 base with Albert at nose, and that's when Albert went bonkers. He repeatedly took on Shanahan's and Haslett's authority, deliberately taking plays off, taking himself of the game after a couple of plays, and never, ever got in shape. Just a miserable, pathetic and unprofessional display, simply because he didn't want to switch defenses.

So, it's still a huge risk. Albert has tremendous talent, but he's a mental migdet. The main risk is that Albert can't get his head into team football, and tries to test BB's authority. It will be a very short leash.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

For what the Patriots got him for it is a very good gamble.  I don't like the guys checkered past but if he comes to NE with the right attitude and motivation he will be a beast for the defense.  A lot of good player attitudes will be surrounding him so just hopefully it works out and if it does it will be great.

I will go on record as saying I like it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Somebody referred to a sexual assault case.  I looked it up.  Apparently Haynesworth got a stripper pregnant.  No sexual assault.  Haynesworth has problems with road rage.  He was driving this February when he and a Honda were tailgaiting, cutting each other off, and the other guy flipped him the bird at a red light.  Haynesworth walked over to the other guy, who had recognized him, and Haynesworth yelled, punched the other driver in the nose once and drove away.  What do you mean he's not a nose tackle?  Maybe Meriweather could straighten Haynesworth's rage problems out.  Actually, BB collects a whole bunch of violent players and Haynesworth should fit right into that 12-step group.   Basically the guy has a rep as a malcontent and he's violent.  No known drinking issues. Big Vince plays defensive end when some huge tackle such as Jake Long needs to be stopped.  Now, either Wilfork or Haynesworth can get that job done, and the other can play nose.
    Posted by Paul_K

No there is an assault case stemming from an incident with a waitress at the W Hotel in DC last February. Whether it amounts to anything at trial is another story.

There is no way around the fact that Fat Albert is a head case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

[QUOTE]I'm an "ex-Pat" from Boston living in Nashville. Jeff Fisher, ex-coach of the Titans is probably the most mellow, unflappable and understanding coach in the NFL

I'm going to forward this to Rodney Harrison...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

You all know BB spoke with Haynesworth FIRST before pulling this trigger.  We'd all wish we were a fly on the wall for that conversation.  I am certain Haynesworth had to "gush" to BB that he will be IN shape, a TEAM player and will ABSOLUTELY contribute to this team to win a couple SBs. 
    Posted by agcsbill

BINGO.

Does anyone here really think that BB made this deal without talking to Haynesworth first (with Shanahan's permission, of course)?

He did the same thing with Moss in 2007 and basically told him: "Randy, this isn't Minnesota, or Oakland; we do things differently here. Can you handle it?"

Trust me folks....BB would not have made this trade if Haynesworth didn't at least give him "lip service" about embracing the Patriot Way.

If it turns out that that's all he gave him--lip service--then he'll be cut and the Pats will be out a low draft pick.

If it turns out that Big Al was telling BB the truth, then I pity opposing offensive lines in 2011.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The only thing keeping Albert from being one of the top 3 D lineman in the league is Albert.  He has the potential to completely change our D from soft and squishy to nightmare inducing.  But that's up to Albert, and only time will tell if he will want to buy in with the Pats and truly commit himself.  So in essence this is one of the most high reward/low risk deals in NFL history, because if it doesn't work out all that is lost is 5 mil and a 5th rounder.  Significant surely, but not when you compare to what you have the potential to be gaining. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Hmm. Something is screwy here - I can't find the reply button anywhere, so I'll just sum up some things: 1) I'm more than happy to come back and admit I was wrong if that happens to be the case at the end of the year; I don't think it's going to happen because AH will either dog it and get cut, get thrown in the slammer, or do just enough to get by. But I'll own up to it if this does turn out to be another genius BB move. 2) I'm a Skins fan. I've been living in Somerville for 22 years, but I spent 1968-1974 living outside DC watching George Allen's Skins. I've been registered on boston.com for a while but never felt an urge to discuss the Pats here until today. BTW if you want to have more interesting discussions, come to extremesknis.com - all fans are welcome, and it's the largest and best fan board in the NFL (and no I don't work for the Skins). So, no troll. 3) You're right that Snyder is a disaster. The best thing that's happened to the Skins since he's been owner is Bruce Allen and Shanny coming on board. You'll see this offseason that Snyder's Madden strategy of buying every over the hill FA on the market is a thing of the past. Good luck with Dough Boy, and enjoy your team's dominance - it's good to have those memories because one of these days the heyday will end (it did for the Skins, it will for you). Hail. 
    Posted by dtrain1

You may wish to consider in your assessment of his chances of working out in NE that the Skins are a team somewhat in disarray, and the Pats are not. Also, AH seems a stubborn fellow and using him in a role he does not feel he can play his best game in is apt to bring out that bad side. He won't be used consistently as a NT in NE.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

NY-Pats-fan - you said what I was thinking which is that if Myra Kraft was alive, this might not have happened.  If I had said it first, I would have been villified.  I still may be, but I thought the same thing.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmonmcd. Show dmonmcd's posts

When I first heard of this I was a little skeptical due to the fact we play the 3-4, his obvious personal and playing problems, and we already have Vince but the more I consider it the more I like it. 
    Obviously, BB gets the best of players like Haynesworth so I am optimistic he won't be a distraction plus as Reiss pointed out he will get paid serious money if this is a good year for him.  I also know he will design plays that brings out the best in Haynesworth as long as he plays the way we hope or he'll be gone.
    So what impression does this have now? I know that if it works out we have the best two Noseguard/ D-Linemen in the game and will just be amazing to watch them tear it up.  I know I am one of many that has blind faith in BB but he has more than proved these moves pay off for the most part!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andyp7862. Show andyp7862's posts

NY-Pats-fan - you said what I was thinking which is that if Myra Kraft was alive, this might not have happened.  If I had said it first, I would have been villified.  I still may be, but I thought the same thing.
    Posted by UD6

It's a fair point but she was here when we picked up OL Ojinnaka last year and he was on the hook for assaulting his wife/girlfriend too. She didn't stop that move so I guess they do their background check to see what actually happened with each situation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Great addition. Ideal 3-4 DE for the Pats system (as long as he buys into what BB, the Pats players, and staff are selling). I've wanted him for this role for years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from flag-waiver. Show flag-waiver's posts

Excellent pick...Awesome pick...Wonderful pick for 5th rounder

The Big Guy will be coached well, and brings relief in the middle.

Big Albert hey hey hey!!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Christopher Price 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty-water. Show dirty-water's posts

Why is everyone so worried that Haynesworth doesnt like the 3-4 and that's what the Pats play.  It's just on paper the way BB starts a game.  In actuality they play 4 man fronts more often than 3 man fronts just typically in a nickle package (not a true 4-3).  Given Albert's mentality and conditioning I'm betting he won't even play much on 1st and 2nd downs anyway, so his main role will be just get after the QB on 3rd downs.  That being said, I like the move and think he'll make a big impact but it's a pretty high price tag for what I think will just be a role player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultrabop. Show ultrabop's posts

Really?  That's a strange one to me.  He's a nose tackle and we already got a good one.  Of course, Wilfork has been playing DE too . . . or maybe a 4-3 is in the works (solves the OLB problem--but do we have penetrators at DE?). Not sure about this one.  Haynesworth has a checkered past . . . of course, BB has a way with guys like that. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dawchesta. Show dawchesta's posts

He's a DT in a 43 who doesn't want to be a NT in a 34. We already have the best 34 NT in the game. Haynesworth is a locker room cancer. I don't think I believe this one
    Posted by PatsEng

AGREED!
    This is going to end badly. Besides crying like a baby to the media last year about how the Redskin defense wasn't suited to his strengths, stomping on defenseless player's heads ON the field and a plethora of off-field red flags and infractions i can't see how this works at all. We were all so proud when the Patriots turned their moralistic backs to Christian Peters so many years ago...what has changed? What would Mayra Kraft make of this?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: HAYNESWORTH traded to NEW ENGLAND... : Well, he's mostly played 4-3 tackle (and resisted being moved to NT in Washington) -- but I guess you're right that in NE's 3-4 he's most likely to play DE, not NT.  From what I've seen, Haynesworth likes to be able to penetrate and get to the QB.  I think he'll be asked to do that a lot in our defense, which I imagine is going to be pretty protean this year . . . not really a pure 3-4 or 4-3.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

That's precisely it. He did not and does not want to play NT, but perhaps willing to play Seymour's role at DE for their base 3-4 or 2nd DT in a 4-3. It did not work in Wash because they do not have a Wilfork who is the NT.

I expect more of the 4-3 this year. The shortened off-season gave BB no time to teach his complex 3-4. The D could mess it up easily on a constant basis. Better to have a simpler D that ensures consistent pressure up front for back up.

Also, can't they play 4-3 like a 3-4? Basically, they could have their regular three DLMen lined up as they almost would normally do, then have AH "roam" in various spots on the line to create the huge mismatches. He could line up with his hand down or, if willing, standing up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultrabop. Show ultrabop's posts

Now we know why the pats didn't draft a pass rusher. The best one in the league was sitting in the doghouse in Washington because the dufus Shanahan didn't know what to do with him.

A guy like this....you let him do whatever he wants. He's one of those disruptive ball players. Let him disrupt....the other team. Now we can forget about Tully Banta-Cain.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpheldman. Show jpheldman's posts

Albert Haynesworth runs kind of slow
    And his energy level is low.
    He's a little bit fat
    Maybe Bill will fix that?
    Will the Redskins miss him? No.

Albert Haynesworth likes to get paid
    For games that he never played
    Bellichik must find
    And kick his behind
    A target both large and staid.

I wouldn't say Albert is crazy
    But his motivation is hazy