Head Injury Problem in NFL - Suggestions for a fix?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: Head Injury Problem in NFL - Suggestions for a fix?

NICE !!!!  More space to get up to ramming speed!!!  yes something does need to be done and I'm sorry for pou pooing your suggestion but the bottom line is this. These are warriors we are talking about, which means the more you make the players feel invulnerable the more they will throw their bodies around. I applaud your efforts and i wish I had a solution. The only thing that comes to mind is a helmet that protects the wearer but gives feedback in some form to let them know they are exceeding the parameters of what the human body is supposed to recover from. it has to be a deterant to leading with your head. A couple of suggestions might include feedback to a computer that would raise a flag if a player exceeds some limit causing them to have to sit out the next play. or maybe (and I'm not really selling this) a shock device like you find in dog collars would be triggered if certain limmits are exceeded. Not sure what to do about this but it is not good to see your heroes (Mohamed Ali) drooling on themselves.

Just my very humble opinion..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

There is nothing you can do and still call it football.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I like the idea of a shock device for players that lead with their head.

I also think the Pats should draft Jonathan E.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

unfortunately players just don't seem to understand that leading with your head is not the way to go. There are always going to be accidents where players heads are knocked into the ground during a tackle or they accidentally bump helmets in a pile but it's these shoulder to head and head to head hits that can be prevented by a little bit of thinking on the players part. I know, esp with CB's, they love to lead with there head's and shoulders when making hits to create bigger impacts causing break ups/fumbles but at the same time it just leads to a higher chance of causing a head injury. The only real way I can see this changing is by teaching younger players to tackle with their body, not by leading with their shoulder

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Unfortunately, whoever built the human body decided to put the head in a very bad spot.  It just sits on top of a flimsy neck and is always in the way when trying to make a tackle.  I'm thinking if players could follow Rex Ryan's lead and get the surgery to protect the head by moving it into the an*s than injuries would go down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

They get paid more money in one year than some people will make in a lifetime. I dont feel sorry for them at all, they know the risks, if they dont want to take the risks, they have the option to get a real job like 99% of the rest of the world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

They had a guy on WEEI talking about his research into Low Gherig's disease and he mentioned that concussions are primarily caused by rotational forces and not blunt trauma. Helmets only protect against blunt trauma.

Call me a cynic but I think coaches will be looking at how to maximize rotational force in hitting technique since its so dangerous.

In short they can't stop getting hurt unless they stop playing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

They need to equip players with huge "nerf" helmets.Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Really big helmets.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

How about having helmets with shock sensors? 
    They could be set up in a wifi situation where a board with players numbers on the board register a red light when a player has a shock above a number that could give them a concussion.
     Kept track of during the game and when a player has a hit above a certain number he is pulled or pulled after an accumalation of hits above a lower number.
    Or the helmet could have a color code bar like shipping packages do that changes color when a shock above a certain amount happens. That could be checked by the team trainers on the sidelines.

At a minimum youd be checking hits when they happened not after a game when the guy may have had the hit in the first Q and several smaller hits later.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Head Injury Problem in NFL - Suggestions for a fix?:
    They get paid more money in one year than some people will make in a lifetime. I dont feel sorry for them at all, they know the risks, if they dont want to take the risks, they have the option to get a real job like 99% of the rest of the world.
    Posted by WCPatsFan

That's extremely cynical. How about college and high school players? "Too bad"?

Teaching correct tackling is the place to start. You'd see less huge hits, but also far fewer whiffs if people actually kept their head up. Maybe it would be in the best interest of everyone to start sorting out parameters to penalize those types of hits? Or maybe not penalize, but start fining players, escalating the fine with each repeat offense? It's getting to the point where people are going to start getting seriously hurt, they need to be proactive, and not wait until 3 players in a single season get paralyzed.

As for the larger field, no worries about disagreeing, I disagree with your disagreement! In all seriousness, I don't think that would allow for bigger hits. Sure, on the surface it seems like more space = more speed = bigger hits, but I really don't think that's how it would go. Push each sideline out 5 yards...now the safeties can't crowd the line as much because there is 15 feet more to each side to worry about covering. Dlineman won't regularly beat a RB to the sideline, OLB will have more responsibilities, and won't be able to hug the line, and drop into a zone so easily. It would definitely create more running space for ball carriers in my estimation.

Helmets are also an issue. Someone needs to do a real, comprehensive study and see what can be done. To just accept it as part of the game is not acceptable, that's the easy way out. Athletes often need to be told what's really for their own good when it comes to safety. No 25 year old thinks about having a clear thought at 40, but they need to. If they're too ignorant or short sighted, someone needs to do it for them. I'm not willing to let owners make millions, and millions of fans be entertained at the expense of someone's health. If that's the case, I'd rather go back to the gladiator days, give them a chestplate, shield and a sword, and let's not masquerade as a game.

As for the violence, I'm not against it at all, I LOVED the Ray Lewis hit on Monday (clean, shoulder to shoulder, no head contact at all) and I'm also a huge MMA fan. They take FAR better care of their fighters than the NFL does of it's players and that's practically criminal. You get a bad concussion in a sanctioned MMA fight, you're on the shelf for 60-180 days. In the NFL? You might miss a day of practice, possibly a single game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

bring back the leather helmets of the Marion Motley era.  Get rid of the facemask too.  Players will not want to lead with their heads/faces when they might catch a knee. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Bring back the leather helmets of the Marion Motley era.  Get rid of the facemask too.  Players will not want to lead with their heads/faces when they might catch a knee.
    Posted by expertmike

Dude has a point.

Sections
Shortcuts