Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3387803. Show user_3387803's posts

Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots?

I'm deploying to Afghanistan in less than 2 weeks as a civilian contractor, to live on a base and work as a Firefighter.

I know there are services out there that allow you watch the games on your laptop and so forth. I wanted to ask some of the members here who might be experienced or knowledgeable on the subject what they would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots?

Good luck and than you.

There are several free sites you can dial up if you have internet access. There is another post here somewhere that details what they are. Or, if you want to pay, subscribe to direct tv's NFL package and you can watch games on your laptop.

God speed and don't forget your flak jacket.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3387803. Show user_3387803's posts

I actually already have NFL Sunday Ticket. I didn't know watching the games on your laptop was part of the package. I'll have to look into that.

By the way: how can I change my screen name?

In Response to Re: Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots?:
    [QUOTE]Good luck and than you. There are several free sites you can dial up if you have internet access. There is another post here somewhere that details what they are. Or, if you want to pay, subscribe to direct tv's NFL package and you can watch games on your laptop. God speed and don't forget your flak jacket.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

You can also get a Slingbox and connect it to your home cable box, then you can access it anywhere in the world with an internet connection with no monthly charge.  The HD slingbox is a couple hundred bucks, but that's it for charges.  You can use it to access your entire home setup, including DVR, On demand, etc.  Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

First thing you'll have to do is get up in the middle of the night. When my son was there recently the internet was so slow he couldnt live stream it. But he was in the 101st and their accommodations probably arnt what yours will be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Depends on where you're at. If you're at a big post like Kandahar you can get a decent Internet service and watch online through a stream or through nflgamepass.com. Most likely wherever you go though, the Internet will be too slow to stream games fast enough to be worth watching. There are some people that have gotten together in groups of 20 or so and bought a high speed sattellite Internet service, if you can get in on that than you will be fine. The general Internet offered at Kandahar was $90 a month and wasn't fast enough to stream well but they were trying to improve it when I left. The second option is AFN, which will be available at an MWR facility and maybe where you work. They will play every game but you just don't know when they will play them. For instance, a 1pm game will be shown live but the other games at the same time will be shown over the next few days. For some reason getting a schedule when AFN will show the games is tricky but you can count on Sunday and Monday night pats games will be live. If you're at a smaller post Internet will probably be only available 30 minutes at a time through MWR so you will have to watch AFN. Chances are you will miss some games so I always just had my wife record them and send them to me. This would of course be easy on an old piece of equipment called a VCR which is all but extinct now. Good luck

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Just one more thing you'll find that lots of services are blocked overseas like hulu and others. So you may want to check if directv's service will work overseas. If you explain the situation they may be able to allow it if it's normally blocked. Game pass works well and it is only available overseas. Some Internet services over there block streaming sites like YouTube, and download sites like iTunes so load up on downloads, sync your iPhone and iPod be before you leave. I got an iPad for Christmas and could not put any apps on it for 2 months because iTunes was a blocked site so I couldn't activate it and put my iPhone apps on it. Probably best to see what the Internet is like before purchasing any service though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3387803. Show user_3387803's posts

I'll very likely be joining in with some other guys for a monthly satellite subscription. I'll need it to continue with the online Bachelor degree I'm working on.

The NFL Game Rewind looks like a good option. I won't have to concern myself with seeing the games live as their happening, and I can rewatch them too after Sunday.
    https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?icampaign=GR_GeoBlock_GP

[QUOTE]Just one more thing you'll find that lots of services are blocked overseas like hulu and others. So you may want to check if directv's service will work overseas. If you explain the situation they may be able to allow it if it's normally blocked. Game pass works well and it is only available overseas. Some Internet services over there block streaming sites like YouTube, and download sites like iTunes so load up on downloads, sync your iPhone and iPod be before you leave. I got an iPad for Christmas and could not put any apps on it for 2 months because iTunes was a blocked site so I couldn't activate it and put my iPhone apps on it. Probably best to see what the Internet is like before purchasing any service though.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from headhuntersixsix. Show headhuntersixsix's posts

You'll be able to get 3 1PM games and atleast 2 4PM games on AFN. the AFN game schedual comes out on Wednesdays at myafn.com. You'll need to put in your time zone for Afghanistan and it will tell you the local time. I think the games will start between 9-10 pm local in Afghanistan. I know a few years ago if you got the top tier NFL package with directtv you also got the games online as if you had slingbox. I did it for the Steelers game in Japan in 2007. As far as AFN goes, I finished a tour in Iraq at the end of last November and missed one Pats game on AFN. I was able to get it streamed online. You'll also be able to easily find the game on streaming radio. The Monday night and Sunday night games will always be on in the chowhalls. Good luck...I'm headed to KAF in the spring myself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]I'll very likely be joining in with some other guys for a monthly satellite subscription. I'll need it to continue with the online Bachelor degree I'm working on. The NFL Game Rewind looks like a good option. I won't have to concern myself with seeing the games live as their happening, and I can rewatch them too after Sunday. https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?icampaign=GR_GeoBlock_GP In Response to Re: Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots? :
    Posted by e34aab326464f7e50cdbe953b63b7fab[/QUOTE]

Watch out NFL game rewind is only available in the us. If you purchase it you probably won't be able to watch the games. NFL game pass is the same service only available overseas. Depending on where your computer is when you type the address into you will be directed to one or the other. So make sure you get one that works overseas.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3387803. Show user_3387803's posts

Thanks for spotting that. Will I be able to rewatch the games with GamePass?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots? : Watch out NFL game rewind is only available in the us. If you purchase it you probably won't be able to watch the games. NFL game pass is the same service only available overseas. Depending on where your computer is when you type the address into you will be directed to one or the other. So make sure you get one that works overseas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from headhuntersixsix. Show headhuntersixsix's posts

Alot of the NFL online packages are only available overseas. I've done it before both with and without Directv. I'd call directv and see what the NFL package allows you to do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from headhuntersixsix. Show headhuntersixsix's posts

Alot of the NFL online packages are only available overseas. I've done it before both with and without Directv. I'd call directv and see what the NFL package allows you to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for spotting that. Will I be able to rewatch the games with GamePass? In Response to Re: Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots? :
    Posted by e34aab326464f7e50cdbe953b63b7fab[/QUOTE]

Yes, I use it (living in Germany now). Watch the games anytime live or commercial free if not live. All games from every week are available to watch anytime, which is nice if you can't get there when they're going on, plus games go on in the middle of the night over there so you may want to sleep and catch them in the morning or whatever. You also get NFL network.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerryM. Show PerryM's posts

[QUOTE]Depends on where you're at. If you're at a big post like Kandahar you can get a decent Internet service and watch online through a stream or through nflgamepass.com. Most likely wherever you go though, the Internet will be too slow to stream games fast enough to be worth watching. There are some people that have gotten together in groups of 20 or so and bought a high speed sattellite Internet service, if you can get in on that than you will be fine. The general Internet offered at Kandahar was $90 a month and wasn't fast enough to stream well but they were trying to improve it when I left. The second option is AFN, which will be available at an MWR facility and maybe where you work. They will play every game but you just don't know when they will play them. For instance, a 1pm game will be shown live but the other games at the same time will be shown over the next few days. For some reason getting a schedule when AFN will show the games is tricky but you can count on Sunday and Monday night pats games will be live. If you're at a smaller post Internet will probably be only available 30 minutes at a time through MWR so you will have to watch AFN. Chances are you will miss some games so I always just had my wife record them and send them to me. This would of course be easy on an old piece of equipment called a VCR which is all but extinct now. Good luck

Just wondering is Stink Hole Pond still there on Kandahar or have they filled it in...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Headed to Afghanistan - How best to watch the Patriots? : Just wondering is Stink Hole Pond still there on Kandahar or have they filled it in...
    Posted by PerryM[/QUOTE]

Yup, luckily I was only at Kandahar a few months. I just left a couple months ago and it's still there. The worst smell ever,

Sections
Shortcuts