Help for #12

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Help for #12

Don't think you can call Blount, or any of the NE runners, "busts" in the AFCCG...  Blount=5 carries, Ridley=5 carries, & Vareen=4 carries...  I'd just call that: The standard way the NE Patriots use their Runningbacks, in every playoff loss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

One trick ponies are easy to shut down.

See:  AFCCCG

that was one game !!!  He destroyed the Ravens and Colts

My questions are still unanswered.

Ummm, that was the only game that mattered!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:

Don't think you can call Blount, or any of the NE runners, "busts" in the AFCCG...  Blount=5 carries, Ridley=5 carries, & Vareen=4 carries...  I'd just call that: The standard way the NE Patriots use their Runningbacks, in every playoff loss.

They can't run when you don't have a WR who can spread the defense.  Thats a huge problem.  Jets proved this in 2010.  Bunch of WR's who go short to mid field, stack the box and shut the whole offense down.  Exactly what happened vs the Broncos.  Football 101.

I am getting more and more excited to see what the Pats can do with Lafell but everyone is assuming the rookies take big strides over last season and people want to add more rookies from the draft?   And if they don't take big strides this passing game is in trouble, again.  The Pats lost confidence in Amendola, dude was on the sidelines more then half the game towards the end of the season and playoffs, Dobson and Thompkins both hurt and when they did play they looked lost and confused and both had zero confidence.  Thompkins isn't even a sure thing to make the team and Boyce didn't play last season. Get some legit experience at WR who is bigger and more physical.  

I agree, a legit WR needs to be added.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

The Receivers Rule crowd is just so deluded. What do Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Wes Welker, AJ Green, Cris Carter, Ochocinco, Demaryious Thomas and Brandon Marshall (and I could go on) have in common with you and me? No rings.

What did they win when they had Moss?  The teams with the best receivers don't win anything.

Their wide receivers were more productive last year than in 2012. They lost Hernandez for the whole year and Gronk played six games. If there was a problem with the passing game, that was it.

Stop it with they need a flashy receiver stuff. You're embarrassing yourselves. 

How many rings do Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Art Monk, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Hines Ward, Rod Smith, Anquan Boldin have combined? I can pick and choose a list to fit my argument too..

You don't need a flashy receiver to win a SB but they certainly don't hurt your chances.

Apples and oranges. Exceptions that prove the rule. Yeah, if you back thirty years you find a few top receivers on really good teams, other than Rice, none of them were the reason their teams were great. If you can identify the next Rice, sign me up. 

Most of these guys were possession receivers on run first offenses. Rice and Irvin were anti-divas if there ever was such a thing. Holt and Bruce were on a record setting team that squeeked out a SB win by a yard.  Harrison and Wayne were handed their one ring. Ward, Boldin, good players but not flashy, speed guys. Possession guys known for blocking and catching the ball in traffic as much as anything.

Rod Smith and Art Monk, really? Why leave out Raymond Berry and Don Hutson? They were really good too. And Bob Hayes and Fred Biletnikoff and Paul Warfield.

Nobody's arguing you can win without any receivers, but you don't need flashy 4.3 diva guys, the type that a lot of people here seem to be pining for. 

The point is you need more then what the Pats have now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think like we've seen in the past couple years (loading up on D in the draft to improve a horrendous D), will happen this year for the offense.

This draft is very deep at the WR position, Id be willing to bet we will grab a tightend or receiver in the first two rounds. I think if they ever were able to land both Cooks and Armano, all problems would be solved. I think Boyce is a guy who has to improve - he's got too much talent - I hope he is working hard to be the player he can be. I'd love to see them add a running back that doesn't have to come off the field...a guy who doesn't have to be subbed in and make the offense predictable. I want a guy who can catch and run between the tackles and heaven forbid get outside. Too me that would really improve this offense.

The players are there in this draft to really improve this offense, I think it's a no brainer we will be going in that direction...it's where the value is.

Don't try to steal my analysis now. You have been pisssing in the wind on that concept, amongst other concepts, for years and years.

You refused to let BB rebuild on the fly off the lockout and now want to ride on the coat tails of that bounty. Ain't happening as long as I am here to point out that hypocrisy.

I can catch a football and run a simple route an RB runs, so any one of these RBs can do it. We just need an QB who believes in the power of what that kind of a play represents to an opposing D, instead of wanting to run shotgun spread base schemes constantly, comprosing the concept of what throwing to an RB even means.

If Brady is not going to buy in to being back under center, maybe rolling out once in a while and swinging passes out into the flat to engage the LBs, schematically, then it's all pointless.

This is all about Brady.

It's a myth the RBs need to have the hands of Larry Centers to incorporate this concept into a gameplan. It should be something that is done every game against a good D as early as possible in the game.

Delusional. Plain and simple.

First off you don't get to run around saying having a complete back that can run and catch...not have to be subbed in, is you're idea. I agree with basically nothing you ever say, so let me tell you this...that thought is not "owned" by you. Sorry, but only a complete moron would take a very basic concept of football and call it his own idea. You are a fool.

Second, you being able to catch a football in the backyard of your mom's house - as the cheeze curls fall of the sweater your mommy stitched for - does not mean catching a football in the NFL is easy. Are you that stupid? Seriously? Try catching a football that is thrown by an NFL quarterback when a 250 pound linebacker that runs a 4.5 forty is coming at you. Try catching a football with your hands as a safety is hanging off your back....or try making an adjustment based off coverage and finding a soft spot in a zone. You probably think it's just a matter of catching a pass and easily securing it for ten yard gains all day long for a back. I'm not saying all passes runners catch are difficult - or that you have to be Larry Centers - but there is much more to it than you think. And as soon as those balls start bouncing off the hands of a guy like BJGE for interceptions...their pass catching career is over.

You really need to actually start watching football, rather than just googling salary cap hell articles all day long.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:

I want to know who's the Chithead, BB or Josh, who feels the need to switch running backs every possession?

Blount + Ridley = 10 carries for 23 yards - 2.3 ave

Vereen = 4 carries for 34 yards - 8.5 ave

We have some really dumb coaches on the sidelines and in the booth who can't see this and adapt to this.  They should have exploited Vereen who was shredding Denver.....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

And his numbers wern't a result of only 1 long run.  He had runs of 5, 9, 9, and 11.  That's sweet running.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

They have 3 young WRs from last year who showed some promise. They say the biggest jump in progress is between years one and two. Having had a year in the system, Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins might be much better and more reliable this year. I wouldn't give up on them yet. There is no guarantee that whoever is brought in will have a huge impact, as we have seen several times over the past seasons. I'm more interested in another big receiving TE who can also block. 

I'm with you.  Personally, I think that Dobson and Thompkins both showed some ability last year, laying down a good foundation for both of them to start from this season.  With any luck, we'll see them make that "jump in progress".  I didn't put Boyce in there with them, simply because his time was so limited.  I'm hopeful he will get many more opportunities this year.  Amendola is another one who should be able to be much more of a force, assuming that he can avoid those annual injuries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to wonderdrums' comment:

The reason BLOUNT was let go was  ???????

If Ridley starts fumbling again who is the running back????

Brandon Bolden. He's like Law Firm 2.0. He doesnt have great speed, but he'll hit the hole hard and he's sure handed. 

Incredibly underrated by this fanbase. Very talented. He was hampered by the knee, I am assuming a sprain, most of the year last year where Blount took his carries.

Bolden is dangerous because he can catch well as well as he hits the hole with purpose. He is reminiscent of BJGE but I think he might have a bit more speed and runs a bit lower than BJGE.

As much as I like RIdley, I would love to see Bolden take over as the lead back.

Bolden as our lead back = trouble. 

He is somewhat steady but by no means a force. If you want bjge production then sure, go for it. If you want a deadly ground game, bolden isn't the answer and never will be. Ridley for all his fumbling is a much better runner than bolden. we need a rb stable and lead runner opposing defenses worry about. Bolden is not that guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

There are many decent RB's in this years draft in the 5-10/6-0  and 210-225 range, running the 40's  in the 4.5 to 4.7 range...so losing Blount won't be felt as much as many think...

They'll most likely use a decent draft pick on a WR, again, many in this draft...

Obviously, they'll also use a pick in the first 4 rounds on a TE out of need and competition.

The rest of any new Off. Weapons will probably come from post draft priority free agents....there is a possibility they might sign another tall WR FA this year, and they still might sign Collie....

There will be plenty of competition  for TB's weapons at training camp and the team will be better off than last season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be difficult, but I honestly don't know how you can conclude that they need more wide receivers?  I think they need bigger, more physical pass catchers, which to me can easily be a return to form of Gronk and a Hern replacement, or just a bigger, better TE than what they have besides Gronk. Maybe a Blount replacement that can catch as well. If they can get a bigger, sturdier WR that's fine too. Not a Mike Wallace or a DeSean Jackson for me.

They got more out of their receivers last year than in '12, with LaFell added and a year under the rookies' belts, WR to me is a low priority. To me, this draft needs to be about the front seven, TE, safety and the big uglies. Pass rush, DT, TE, S, OL, RB and then WR. Maybe a project QB somewhere in the mix.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The Receivers Rule crowd is just so deluded. What do Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Wes Welker, AJ Green, Cris Carter, Ochocinco, Demaryious Thomas and Brandon Marshall (and I could go on) have in common with you and me? No rings.

What did they win when they had Moss?  The teams with the best receivers don't win anything.

Their wide receivers were more productive last year than in 2012. They lost Hernandez for the whole year and Gronk played six games. If there was a problem with the passing game, that was it.

Stop it with they need a flashy receiver stuff. You're embarrassing yourselves. 

Some of us, though, actually watch the games and see that the reason the Broncos completely shut down the run was because they were able to leave 8 and 9 in the box . . . which was because our receivers were easy to cover with just 5 and 6 defenders.  

I don't think the Pats necessarily need the best receivers in the league.  I do believe they need a passing game that's at least effective enough to pull a second safety back. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Some of us, though, actually watch the games and see that the reason the Broncos completely shut down the run was because they were able to leave 8 and 9 in the box . . . which was because our receivers were easy to cover with just 5 and 6 defenders.  

I don't think the Pats necessarily need the best receivers in the league.  I do believe they need a passing game that's at least effective enough to pull a second safety back. 

[/QUOTE]

Or give the opposing QB less time to pick out who he wants to go to. Or possess the ball and give the opposing QB fewer possessions. Those are good options as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Really? Cmon...

What else is needed? Lafell is Givens 2.0, we have the three rookies who could all take huge strides, and the white boys Amendola and Edelman who are both bound to stay healthy at some point. Add on top of that, Gronk will be back.

That's a ton of uncertainty, way too much for what should be expected from this Pats team.

Lafell:  unknown

Last year's rookies:  unknown

Health of Amendola/Edelman:  unknown

Health of Gronkowski:  unknown

Other than Lafell, this same set of unknowns as was there last year. In the end, the offense tied for second most points per game average. That was with Gronk only playing 6 games, and all of the missed time for the 3 rookies and Amendola. Just having them all together again should lead to more success. I could see Lafell doing a lot of what they missed from losing Hernandez. I think this will be a very good group. Add one more NFL quality starting TE who can catch, and they will be solid. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Not trying to be difficult, but I honestly don't know how you can conclude that they need more wide receivers?  I think they need bigger, more physical pass catchers, which to me can easily be a return to form of Gronk and a Hern replacement, or just a bigger, better TE than what they have besides Gronk. Maybe a Blount replacement that can catch as well. If they can get a bigger, sturdier WR that's fine too. Not a Mike Wallace or a DeSean Jackson for me.

They got more out of their receivers last year than in '12, with LaFell added and a year under the rookies' belts, WR to me is a low priority. To me, this draft needs to be about the front seven, TE, safety and the big uglies. Pass rush, DT, TE, S, OL, RB and then WR. Maybe a project QB somewhere in the mix.

More as in more talent, not quanity.  Still lacking the mid to deep threat.  Really can't count on Gronk to make it a full season and will be hard to find someone who can replace him when he is hurt.  We have the short to middle covered, how can you not see whe need a mid to deep threat to spread the d and give a deeper option.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Or give the opposing QB less time to pick out who he wants to go to. Or possess the ball and keep the opposing QB fewer possessions. Those are good options as well.

• Sure, you can win with defense (your first point)--but they'll need to be much more effective than they were against Denver in the playoffs at getting pressure on the QB.  Better coverage will help, but they need a more athletic front seven too.  Not sure that's the surest path for them yet, though bully if they can do it.  

Possessing the ball requires the ability to get first downs.  Running is fine if you can get first downs running, but that's not easy to do unless you have a great running game (blockers and runners), which the Pats don't have.  They are only going to extend possessions if they can pass effectively and pull the defense away from the LOS.  That requires pass receivers (TEs and/or WRs) who demand more than single coverage.  

There are lots of different paths one could take.  But don't underestimate the value of a decent outside/downfield WR. Sure, a good receiving TE could work too.  But if you think the lack of a well rounded receiving group hasn't hurt the Pats in their playoff losses, you haven't been watching closely enough.  It's been one of the team's primary weaknesses and a big reason why their production falls off so much when Gronk is out. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

+1 to everyone. All good points

• You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

The Pats may have enough at WR with last years' group but it's hard to tell at this point. We don't know if Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins can make that second year jump. If Dobson and Boyce can stay healthy, I believe both can make significant contributions.

Thompkins may have reached his ceiling / potential given that he'll turn 26 during training camp. He also seemed to lose the coaching staff's trust in the latter part of the season.

I've got high hopes for Dobson after seeing his improvement in the second half of the season. Brady seemed like he looked for this guy when he was on the field. Still a ways to go but the measurables such as height and speed are certainly there. I think Brady likes this guy and that's a plus. Can he stay on the field and avoid injuries?

Boyce? He showed big time talent in the Houston game but why did it take over half a season to make the game day roster? Will this talent translate to the field and can he learn the game? This kid has a ton of potential and hopefully we'll be seeing big plays this coming season.

Offensively in the Denver game the biggest problem was the Pats' interior offensive line getting blown up. The second was no Gronk, Dobson being hobbled coming into the game, DA invisible, Boyce out and Thompkins got hurt during the game.

IMHO the best immediate way to help #12 would be to upgrade the center and right guard positions and  then grab a move TE.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I want to know who's the Chithead, BB or Josh, who feels the need to switch running backs every possession?

Blount + Ridley = 10 carries for 23 yards - 2.3 ave

Vereen = 4 carries for 34 yards - 8.5 ave

We have some really dumb coaches on the sidelines and in the booth who can't see this and adapt to this.  They should have exploited Vereen who was shredding Denver.....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

And his numbers wern't a result of only 1 long run.  He had runs of 5, 9, 9, and 11.  That's sweet running."

Seriously tcal...  It's like: "O.k...It's playoff time.  We'll establish the running game and rule game tempo-  The plan is=The Runningback can establish themself by subbing in 3 Individual Runningbacks equally.  Now, The Individual Runningback can garner their own 'feel' for the game, by getting no more...than 5 total touches.  O.k., finally-the running game:  To NOT establish the run, you're lookin' at 19 or 20 total attempts...Our target zone?  =Under 15.  That'll do it...questions?" 

The running game is a funny, fickle, 'yehhhh?' type'a thing in the playoffs, when your a team that doesn't run the ball well that year, Or doesn't USE the run, As NE has & had been for a long while...  BUT, when your team DOES run the Ball decently, and USES the run decently in said given year, the lack of any care to use the running game in a playoff game...is a painful thing.  And what was it?  Like a 13 point game or something for the majority of almost 3 quarters.  Uggh-  Our OC & Offensive GamePlan is 1 thing to me:  VERY, VERY impatient & precocious from Second #1 in EVERY decently equal-matched playoff contest for 'bout half a decade+ (maybe 6 years-07-08/08-09/10-11/11-12/12-13/13-14) now...  The OC and OC's gameplan is akin to an 11 or 12 year old seein' a pair yah-yahs for the 1st time-"BlaaaAAAHHH!!!  Gimme, GIM-ME, Gimme-Gi-MEEEeee!!!"  Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt...O.k.=Run, Pass, Pass, Punt...O.k.=Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt...O.k.=Run, Pass, Pass, Punt...O.k.=Pass, Pass, Pass-1st Base...O.k.=Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt...O.k.=Run, Pass, Pass-1st Base...O.k.=Run, Pass, Pass, Punt...O.k.=Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt...O.k.=Run, Pass, Pass, Punt. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

+1 to everyone. All good points

lol!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Dobson will be a non factor for a lot of this season if not all of it. People seem to minimize the road he faces back. KT has probably reached his zenith. Boyce...who knows. Amendola...health risk but a good 3. Gronk...best in the NFL...when he plays. Laffell...good 4.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

That's a ton of uncertainty, way too much for what should be expected from this Pats team.

Lafell:  unknown

Last year's rookies:  unknown

Health of Amendola/Edelman:  unknown

Health of Gronkowski:  unknown

there's also a ton of uncertianty in bringing in a FA WR too. there arent studs left. why waste money on a vet if you could draft someone who is cheaper and could be better?

FA WRs and the Pats dont get along to well either, as dont draft picks too.

I'm fine with sticking with what we got and maybe drafting depth

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Brandon Bolden. He's like Law Firm 2.0. He doesnt have great speed, but he'll hit the hole hard and he's sure handed. 

Incredibly underrated by this fanbase. Very talented. He was hampered by the knee, I am assuming a sprain, most of the year last year where Blount took his carries.

Bolden is dangerous because he can catch well as well as he hits the hole with purpose. He is reminiscent of BJGE but I think he might have a bit more speed and runs a bit lower than BJGE.

As much as I like RIdley, I would love to see Bolden take over as the lead back.

He is somewhat steady but by no means a force. If you want bjge production then sure, go for it. If you want a deadly ground game, bolden isn't the answer and never will be. Ridley for all his fumbling is a much better runner than bolden. we need a rb stable and lead runner opposing defenses worry about. Bolden is not that guy.

I don't argue that, I was just answering the guys question. I'd be happy if Ridley was the man. Don't discredit BJGE though. He rarely missed a game and was good for 1000yes and 8-10 TDs if given 200 carries in a season. Not the greatest, but dependable.

I haven't heard much about any RB's in this years draft. Honestly, I'm not sure RB is really a need. I'm still saying Pats should draft OL over WR/RB to help #12. Go Pats

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

The Pats may have enough at WR with last years' group but it's hard to tell at this point. We don't know if Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins can make that second year jump. If Dobson and Boyce can stay healthy, I believe both can make significant contributions.

Thompkins may have reached his ceiling / potential given that he'll turn 26 during training camp. He also seemed to lose the coaching staff's trust in the latter part of the season.

I've got high hopes for Dobson after seeing his improvement in the second half of the season. Brady seemed like he looked for this guy when he was on the field. Still a ways to go but the measurables such as height and speed are certainly there. I think Brady likes this guy and that's a plus. Can he stay on the field and avoid injuries?

Boyce? He showed big time talent in the Houston game but why did it take over half a season to make the game day roster? Will this talent translate to the field and can he learn the game? This kid has a ton of potential and hopefully we'll be seeing big plays this coming season.

Offensively in the Denver game the biggest problem was the Pats' interior offensive line getting blown up. The second was no Gronk, Dobson being hobbled coming into the game, DA invisible, Boyce out and Thompkins got hurt during the game.

IMHO the best immediate way to help #12 would be to upgrade the center and right guard positions and  then grab a move TE.

M a 

you are very very correct, our rg and control were beaten up, it wasn't 8 -9 in a box, the bronco dline overwhelmed them, Mankins also was awful. The bronco dline said after the game, that they couldn't be blocked, it was just that simple

To blame the coaches for not running more is ridiculous 

To blame TB , who missed on one pass, is also ridiculous

When Talib went out, then our defense was over matched Too

And when all of our players got injured last year, I don't remember anyone guaranteeing a SB win. But now let's blame the coaches or TB? Come on!.

but I guess we are going to hear this until we win a SB? Or that if we drafted the right skill player, we will win. No when our lines play a little better, then we might

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I don't argue that, I was just answering the guys question. I'd be happy if Ridley was the man. Don't discredit BJGE though. He rarely missed a game and was good for 1000yes and 8-10 TDs if given 200 carries in a season. Not the greatest, but dependable.

I haven't heard much about any RB's in this years draft. Honestly, I'm not sure RB is really a need. I'm still saying Pats should draft OL over WR/RB to help #12. Go Pats

I don't believe Bolden is that good of a reciever and Blount was a ++ for the Ground game as he showed last year

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

M a 

you are very very correct, our rg and control were beaten up, it wasn't 8 -9 in a box, the bronco dline overwhelmed them, Mankins also was awful. The bronco dline said after the game, that they couldn't be blocked, it was just that simple

To blame the coaches for not running more is ridiculous 

To blame TB , who missed on one pass, is also ridiculous

When Talib went out, then our defense was over matched Too

And when all of our players got injured last year, I don't remember anyone guaranteeing a SB win. But now let's blame the coaches or TB? Come on!.

but I guess we are going to hear this until we win a SB? Or that if we drafted the right skill player, we will win. No when our lines play a little better, then we might

Here's the first running play of the game, just moments after the snap.  Does it look like the Broncos care a whit about our receivers?   

unknown.png

• Sections
    Shortcuts