HERES A WAY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM WHEN SIGNING A TENDERED PLAYER

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

HERES A WAY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM WHEN SIGNING A TENDERED PLAYER

I just realized there may be a loophole in this whole RFA  / 1st round tender situation where as a team wanting to grab a player (but not surrender their low draft pick ) could make a trade with a 3rd party and then reward the team owning the coveted player a less valuable pick .

EXAMPLE :

1) Broncos have slapped a 1st round tender on Brandon Marshall and state they will not negotiate ...It's a first or nothing.

2) Lets say Pats want him but don't want to surrender their 22nd pick

3) Pats trade their 1st rounder to Saints ( For something like the Saints 1st & 4th )

4) Pats then sign Marshall and give Broncos the 32nd pick from Saints

Instead of NE just getting Marshall for their 1st rounder ...they would also get another draft pick
    ( 4th rounder from Saints )

I'm surprised I haven't heard anybody comment on this logical way for a team to get the most value possible out of the current tender system .

Am I missing something ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Re: HERES A WAY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM WHEN SIGNING A TENDERED PLAYER

NOTE : I'm not advocating bringing aboard the immensely talent Cancer onboad ...just trying to point out that there may be a way to grab tendered players while maximizing your draft picks .

( Personally I wouldnt mind snagging Miles Austin from the Cowboys ~ though he's tenderd higher so that would cost an additonal 3rd ...however if a 1st & 3rd could be had from Saints for something like our 1st and 5th ... I'd strongly consider adding the promising young wr )

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Capt there are some huge holes in that arguement.

1) Pick trades usually happen during the draft since neither team knows which players would be available at which pick yet. Why would the Saints trade picks this early when hey don't even know if a certain player would be available or not?
    2) To force Denver to take the pick the Pats would of had to sign Marshall to a deal and waited to make sure Denver wouldn't match which takes longer then the time allowed between even the 1st and 32 pick.
    3) If the Pats didn't already sign Marshall Denver can just refuse the trade saying that they'd rather not have the lower 1st round pick. Nothing to say they have to take it.

This is why no teams generally do that. Nice thinking though

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

good thoughts Pats Eng ...

1) Your right Draft pick trades done prior to the draft are rare - but they do occur ( I recall Shanahan doing it when he coached the Broncos )

2) Pats would not have to worry about Broncos matching the offer for Marshall because the Pats could write into the contract a poison pill  .Something to the effect that Marshall would have to be payed the same as the top qb in the league if he plays more than 3 games in the state of Colorado . Denver would obviously not be able to match this offer...and it's legal .
     ( This is similar to what the Seahawks did to the Vikes when they signed Burleson away a few years back ~ in part as payback for the Vikes putting their own poison pill into the contract they tendered to steal Steve Hutchinson away from Seattle )

It should be noted that currently there is a wink / wink ,  nod/ nod agreement going on between the owners regarding poison pill usage such that since the VIKES ~ Seahawks fued occured , there hasnt been a contract written with one

*** The Pats themselves were about to add one when they signed Welker away from Miami and were informed the Dolphins planned to match it ... Kraft eventually stepped in and told BB to throw em an extra 7th rounder (so as not to rock the boat with a contract PP) Thus the Dolphins finally agreed not to try & block him from leaving .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: HERES A WAY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM WHEN SIGNING A TENDERED PLAYER:
    Capt there are some huge holes in that arguement. 1) Pick trades usually happen during the draft since neither team knows which players would be available at which pick yet. Why would the Saints trade picks this early when hey don't even know if a certain player would be available or not? 2) To force Denver to take the pick the Pats would of had to sign Marshall to a deal and waited to make sure Denver wouldn't match which takes longer then the time allowed between even the 1st and 32 pick. 3) If the Pats didn't already sign Marshall Denver can just refuse the trade saying that they'd rather not have the lower 1st round pick. Nothing to say they have to take it.   This is why no teams generally do that. Nice thinking though
    Posted by PatsEng
    The idea of making a trade to acquire a lower first round pick is a very sound idea,problem would be getting another team to cooperate. As far as Denver is concerned thats easy enough to dance around,of in my hypothetical lets say the Patriots and Saints make the aforementioned trade tomorrow and simultaniousley sign Marshall to an offer sheet,then all the Patriots would have to do to keep Denver from blocking the sheet is add in a poison pill in the Contract that would prohibit Denver from matching the offer sheet! Viola, Marshall is a Patriot. Now back to reality the Patriots won't put a poison pill in any conract offer to any player as they consider it bad business! I'm sure if the patriots offered Denver their first pick Denver would take it gladly...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Honestly, I think Seattle is in the best position to grab him simply because their pick has decent value (or to trade down), but the guaranteed money that would normally go to that #6 pick is probably not so far off of what Marshall might ask (I'm guessing over 20 mil for 4-5 years for the 6 pick)...

I dunno, though. perhaps a cap expert can compare what the typical Marshall - WR-like deal might be versus what that OT for the Bengals (or was it Browns?) got when he held out as the 6 pick... I just seem to think the 'known' for Marshall is very high compared to an unknown risk in a 6th pick, esp. since Marshal at 25-26 for a WR is still a 6-9 year career potentially for your team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Pats could always trade picks with seattle and move up to number 6, maybe for less than would usually take to move up that high.  What would seattle want...a 2nd?  #6 might get us one of t he top 2 DT, or maybe the top CB.  Heck maybe the best OLB would be worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

If we only could trade our 1st Light & AD For their 1st & 3rd. Use the 3rd for Morrison. With the 6th take Berry or Mclain. Anyone have BB'S # I think he needs to hear this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

well, Peter King seems to be against my logic in his column, so I'm pretty sure I'm onto something... heh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: HERES A WAY TO BEAT THE SYSTEM WHEN SIGNING A TENDERED PLAYER:
    Capt there are some huge holes in that arguement. 1) Pick trades usually happen during the draft since neither team knows which players would be available at which pick yet. Why would the Saints trade picks this early when hey don't even know if a certain player would be available or not? 2) To force Denver to take the pick the Pats would of had to sign Marshall to a deal and waited to make sure Denver wouldn't match which takes longer then the time allowed between even the 1st and 32 pick. 3) If the Pats didn't already sign Marshall Denver can just refuse the trade saying that they'd rather not have the lower 1st round pick. Nothing to say they have to take it.   This is why no teams generally do that. Nice thinking though
    Posted by PatsEng

I don't about that.
    A first rounder is a first rounder. Once a guy is tendered, as marshall has been, for a 1st, teams have a right to negotiate with him before making the offer. If they reach a tentative deal and make an offer to the player the original team has the right of first refusal on the offer, I could be wrong but I don't believe they have the right to object to the positions of the picks that they get in return. The last of the first round would meet the rules and i believe the original team would have to take the deal.
    I don't know if I'd want to give up a first rounder for a head case like marshall anyhow, 22nd or 32nd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

I believe you can only use your own pick as part of a tender offer, so this plan likely wouldn't work.  And the Broncos also have the right to match the contract offer anyway, so it's not as easy as it looks sometimes to get these things done.

Sections
Shortcuts