Herman Munster = Highest Paid Ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Herman Munster = Highest Paid Ever

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

lots of high fiving going on here.  I remember when Brady took that so-called hometown discount after winning 3 superbowls so that the team would have space to pay other players and continue their run.  How'd that work out? 

Then I remember Manning, taking a big contract, getting trashed here, then winning a superbowl. 

So when brady took his big deal, most here said he deserved it, and he did.  Still didn't produce a SB.   

Seems to me that the size of contract does not matter all that much. The details are more important and most large contracts don't get played out.  I don't really get the hoopla. 

This board used to be all about SB victories.  That was it.  Now that that hasn't happened in nearly a decade you guys have gotten really petty about every other team. 

Well for the most part it's about one person that likes to start threads continually about the salary cap. He loves to google articles about other team's so called short comings, bad contracts, aging units, draft busts, etc - it's not really about our football team anymore - it's about his agenda. It's no longer about us not winning Super Bowls, not spending to our own salary cap, missed oppurtunities, teams coming in here year after year in the playoffs and punching us in the face...it's about those same teams that beat us managing their salary caps wrong. It's pretty sad and laughable all at the same time.

We have a good team. We have not won anything in ten years. Our hall of fame QB is getting older...I don't see why we need to run around in the off season bashing every organization when we ourselves rely on a aging QB to keep us going.

Amen, brother. If the Raven haters would bother to examine the structure of Flacco's contract, they would see that it's a cap friendly deal for the team. Ozzie Newsome is one of, if not the best GM in the NFL.

Come now...did the Ravens have any choice but to pay the man? The guy carried them to a world championship, and has taken over for Ray Lewis as the leader of his team. He EARNED his contract through his clutch play, and is a good QB. Whether he's elite will depend on whether he continue his stellar play, which he exhibited in the play-offs. 

What did the critics expect...that the Ravens would let Joe walk, and bring in Michael Vick to lead them? Really...some of the posters here are absurd.  

On point TP.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to stormymonday's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

and people said i was crazy for thinking he would get his $20 mil per

this is great news, the ravens will be irrelevant for at least the next 6 years

What are you talking about? The whole world knew he would get around 20.

you would be surprised

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

all I said was his cap hit this year was very attractive to the team, and manageable the 2 years after that. He will be extended after 3 years and his cap hit will not be an impediment.

Flacco's cap hit in 2016 is brutal and he's not wort the same as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc, in 2014 and 2015 either.  The Ravens will have relief in 2015, but these next 2 drafts will be huge for them in terms of them being a 12 win kind of team.

You also have no idea Even if he does divert the 29 million in 2016, it will look very bad in 2017 and beyond.   Flacco will never be considered elite in the top 5 of QBs in thise league.

I had to distill these posts down. 

Rusty - the fatal flaw in your argument is that 2016 is almost an average NFL's player's career away.  So much can happen between now and then.  IMO, the 2016 cap hit is meaningless except that it creates a necessity to redo the contract.  This is absolutely no different than Brady redoing his contract now. 

What will be on the books for the Raven's to deal with is what is left over from Flacco's signing bonus.  That will be about 14.5 million.  Everything else is window dressing. 

the salary amount owed in 2016 and beyond are not guaranteed, thus they are meaningless.  They can be ripped up or reworked into an extension.  Rkarp is right.   

UD6,

he has no understanding of the cap and how teams maneuver it. he also takes the media reports of 6/$120 at face value.

I can see you have a very good understanding...would you agree that the deal the Ravens made was not a good one, but one they had to make? and given the circumstances of having that forced decision, they made the absolute best of it that they could?

do you also find it surprising that we are not seeing players doing what Brady did...that is take less money, but with more guaranteed? (understanding it takes 2 to make a deal, and perhaps the Ravens did not want a larger guarantee)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rkarp - yes, I agree that Ravens did what they had to do and they compensated Flacco handsomely for it.  Frankly, I think the Ravens did very well with only a 29 mill signing bonus.  So they are paying him 20 mill/over the next 3 years.  One can legitimately say that he has played as well as any AFC QB in the playoffs the last couple/few years. 

Brady's deal is interesting.  I think the pats did what they had to do to get some cap run to keep the run going.  For these next couple of years however, Brady's not taking any kind of a cut.  He's actually earning more.  What's interesting is that Kraft has said publicly that Brady's deal will not be redone when the lower salary kicks in.  He may be telling the truth or he may be getting out ahead of Brady in the court of public opinion. 

As I have said before, Brady's got the most unique of situations.  No one has a spouse that earns more than the one of the top 5 paid players in the NFL.  While we can all honestly say no one needs that kind of money, these guys create lifestyles that require a lot of money to maintain them.  Where Brady is concerned, however, his salary is meaningless to maintain that lifestyle, because his wife makes more than he does.  He may really be helping the pats in this situation.  That's great for the pats, if true.  However, if Gisele were not around, the deal might have happened, but Kraft wouldn't be publicly saying that the deal wouldn't be reworked in a few years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think while it is reported that Brady is taking a lower salary, he is a great guy, a great team mate etc, etc...in actuality he will make more with this deal than if he signed a "usual" NFL top QB contract of 5/$100 with the back end no guaranteed....

So while the end result is the Pats created more needed cap space, Brady is actually getting more money than originally I thought. I wonder if more players see this lower salary/higher guarantee as something to strive for (if the team is willing)

As an aside, does anyone know if TB is a Mass resident or a Cali resident? I know he built his "moat house" in Cali 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

IMO, the 2016 cap hit is meaningless except that it creates a necessity to redo the contract.  This is absolutely no different than Brady redoing his contract now. 

What will be on the books for the Raven's to deal with is what is left over from Flacco's signing bonus.  That will be about 14.5 million.  Everything else is window dressing. 

the salary amount owed in 2016 and beyond are not guaranteed, thus they are meaningless.  They can be ripped up or reworked into an extension.  Rkarp is right.   

See I actually disagree with this.  I think we all agree that the Ravens would like to be able to do something before the 2016 season.  I disagree with you and Rkarp about how easy something like this will be.  You seem to be arguing that if Flacco redoes his contract all the Ravens need to be concerned with is the cap hit from his signing bonus as the unguaranteed portion of this contract (the high salaries in 2016 and beyond) will just be torn up and forgotten.  I don't see how the Ravens have leverage to do this.  Usually when players take a pay cut on unguaranteed money it is because there is the threat of being cut.  The Ravens have no leverage on this front with regards to Flacco.  They can't legitimately threaten to cut him because of the dead money and the fact that no one cuts their franchise QB at the age of 30.  There would be hell to pay.  I mean you keep mentioning Brady's deal and conveniently ignore that he is getting all of the money he was promised in 2013 and 2014 before the extension.  Why would Flacco's situation be any different?

So my working assumption is that Flacco can and will get a lot of that money (basically the 60 million that won't  have been paid out yet) even if it isn't over 3 years.  Even if they were to convert it all to a signing bonus and extend him 3 more years for FREE that would be a cap hit of 10 million (60/6) PLUS the 5 from his original signing bonus which is 15.  Of course he isn't going to play an additional 3 years for free.  This is why I think the example with Brady is illustrative.  Brady had to accept a much lower yearly value on the additional years (basically half of what most people in his position make) in order to get his cap hit down like 6 million bucks.  The Ravens will want to get Flacco's cap hit down at least twice that much (as it is projected be 30 at its peak).  So they are going to have to extend him a lot longer OR he is going to have to take a HUGE hit on the years they tack on the back end.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think while it is reported that Brady is taking a lower salary, he is a great guy, a great team mate etc, etc...in actuality he will make more with this deal than if he signed a "usual" NFL top QB contract of 5/$100 with the back end no guaranteed....

I don't agree with this either.  This would only be the case if you actually thought he wasn't going to get the money he was owed in the next 2 years.  In my view that money was already "guaranteed" because Brady is definitely going to play another 2 years and the Pats aren't going to cut him.  So the Patriots are really only shelling out the additional 3 years at 9 million per which is a good deal even if it is fully guaranteed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

IMO, the 2016 cap hit is meaningless except that it creates a necessity to redo the contract.  This is absolutely no different than Brady redoing his contract now. 

See I actually disagree with this.  I think we all agree that the Ravens would like to be able to do something before the 2016 season.  I disagree with you and Rkarp about how easy something like this will be.  You seem to be arguing that if Flacco redoes his contract all the Ravens need to be concerned with is the cap hit from his signing bonus as the unguaranteed portion of this contract (the high salaries in 2016 and beyond) will just be torn up and forgotten.  I don't see how the Ravens have leverage to do this.  Usually when players take a pay cut on unguaranteed money it is because there is the threat of being cut.  The Ravens have no leverage on this front with regards to Flacco.  They can't legitimately threaten to cut him because of the dead money and the fact that no one cuts their franchise QB at the age of 30.  There would be hell to pay.  I mean you keep mentioning Brady's deal and conveniently ignore that he is getting all of the money he was promised in 2013 and 2014 before the extension.  Why would Flacco's situation be any different?

So my working assumption is that Flacco can and will get a lot of that money (basically the 60 million that won't  have been paid out yet) even if it isn't over 3 years.  Even if they were to convert it all to a signing bonus and extend him 3 more years for FREE that would be a cap hit of 10 million (60/6) PLUS the 5 from his original signing bonus which is 15.  Of course he isn't going to play an additional 3 years for free.  This is why I think the example with Brady is illustrative.  Brady had to accept a much lower yearly value on the additional years (basically half of what most people in his position make) in order to get his cap hit down like 6 million bucks.  The Ravens will want to get Flacco's cap hit down at least twice that much (as it is projected be 30 at its peak).  So they are going to have to extend him a lot longer OR he is going to have to take a HUGE hit on the years they tack on the back end.

Understand your point.  BUT...

While it is true that Flacco will have some leverage come 2016, the Raven's can walk away with a one year cap hit of 14.5 mill (if that's how it works) or negotiate a different deal.  Most of these top line QB contracts have to be reworked (just as Brady's was) in order to find money for the rest of the team.  Its simply my belief that that will occur in 2016. 

It is absolutely possible that Flacco could say "no way" and let the ravens cut him, but it is also possible that 3 years down the road, the market may not be so friendly to him.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I do "get it". Flacco will get his money (not $120m) but the Ravens will be able to structure it so that it is cap workable.

I find it odd, that Brady took a reduced rate in salary for guaranteed up front money to help the cap, why is it so far fetched that Flacco would also do the same?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I do "get it". Flacco will get his money (not $120m) but the Ravens will be able to structure it so that it is cap workable.

I find it odd, that Brady took a reduced rate in salary for guaranteed up front money to help the cap, why is it so far fetched that Flacco would also do the same?

Brady's extension still gave him all the money he was set to make on his old deal yet you claim Flacco will not see the remainder of the money on his current deal if they rework it in 2016.  You continue to not clarify anything on this issue.

If Flacco gets that money (the 60 million he will still be owed) plus a 3 year extension at 27 (like Brady) his cap hit will still be prohibitively high when factoring in the additional cap charges from the signing bonus he is getting now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Brady's extension still gave him all the money he was set to make on his old deal yet you claim Flacco will not see the remainder of the money on his current deal if they rework it in 2016.  You continue to not clarify anything on this issue.

If Flacco gets that money (the 60 million he will still be owed) plus a 3 year extension at 27 (like Brady) his cap hit will still be prohibitively high when factoring in the additional cap charges from the signing bonus he is getting now.

after 3 years on this contract, the Ravens will extend Flacco another 6. They will take the $60 still owed him, and turn it into a bonus spread over 6 years rather than 3. The new 6 year contract would be back loaded and the salary portion, not the bonus portion, will not be guaranteed. This will result in some dead money way down the road, a gamble the Ravens are taking not knowing the cap 6-8 years out

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

after 3 years on this contract, the Ravens will extend Flacco another 6. They will take the $60 still owed him, and turn it into a bonus spread over 6 years rather than 3. The new 6 year contract would be back loaded and the salary portion, not the bonus portion, will not be guaranteed. This will result in some dead money way down the road, a gamble the Ravens are taking not knowing the cap 6-8 years out

Which means he'll be overpaid in the market in 2016 and beyond. You just don't get it.

Joe Flacco will never come close to the postseason he just had.   Wake up.  He just took Balt to the cleaners on that contract.

LMAO

It's fascinating how delusional you are. You seem to think things like Sanchez making 17 mil in 2009 with Brady making 6 mil doesn't matter.

Well, in 2016 when he's making as much as Rodgers, or another superior QB that come along, he'll be overpaid in the market.

I would predict Flaccos cap charge in 2016 to be approx $12m-15m depending on the cap. That would be $10m in bonus money ($60m ammortized over 6 yeras) and between $2m and $5m salary, for a total cap hit of $12-$15m in 2016.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I assume Rodgers sets the new deal in a matter of weeks. I will then assume Eli restructures next year and resets that deal.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I assume Rodgers sets the new deal in a matter of weeks. I will then assume Eli restructures next year and resets that deal.

Which again, only hurts those teams, because Flacco just spiked the market.  Rodgers is clearly a superior QB to that of Eli or Flacco.

It's very bizarre to me that any different than Brady, Brees, Manning or Rodgers, winning a SB, now becomes somehow the market setter.

You're much better off believing in your QB and signing him long term before he can go to market as a FA or allowing something like this Flacco example to compromise your long term budgetary plans.

The fact you think this isn't a big deal is wrong unless you think Flacco can be a potential future HOFer.

I don't think Roethlisberger is a slam dunk HOfer, nor do I think Eli is.  Two SB wins doesn't put you into the HOF. Jim Plunkett isn't in. You have to distinguish yourself in other ways to be in the uber elite club.

I blame Brady.  Back in the day when Brady was much less than he is today but winning SB's, this board only talked about SB rings as the definition of who was best.  Now that Brady's gone 8 years without a ring, and frankly flopped on the big stage, people like you are suggesting that there is more to being a great QB than just winning the superbowl. 

Last week, a well known reporter described this phenomenon (on another subject) as moving the goalposts. 

Flacco is currently king b/c the SB run was very much attributable to his play.  Right or wrong, that's the situation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Boom goes the dynamite!   Bye bye to the Ravens for years to come.

Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco has agreed to terms with the Baltimore Ravens on a deal that's expected to make him the highest paid quarterback in NFL history, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

AFC North blog

HensleyESPN.com's Jamison Hensley writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

The two sides will work on the contract language throughout the weekend and Flacco is expected to sign the deal Monday in Baltimore, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Flacco played out his rookie contract last season for $6.76 million.

Capping a perfect postseason, the unassuming and unheralded Flacco completed 22-of-33 passes for 287 yards and three first-half touchdowns, earning Super Bowl MVP honors for leading the Ravens to a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

He wrapped up Baltimore's four-game run to the title with a record-equaling 11 TD passes and zero interceptions, going 73 of 126 for 1,140 yards. It was an impressive streak that included road victories against two of the game's most respected quarterbacks, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and a first-round home win against No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Luck.

The 28-year-old Flacco, a fifth-year pro, threw for 22 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions in the regular season. He has thrown for 17,633 yards, 102 touchdowns and 52 interceptions in 80 career games.

Flacco is the only quarterback to win a postseason game in each of his first five pro seasons. He also holds the record for playoff road wins with six.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press was used in this report.

why do u have to call him names? see, no provacation, no reason, just u proving once again ur an arrogant obnoxious know it all who starts trouble...u probably look like Frankenstein

btw i would pay good money to see u call him this to his face so i could then watch him flatten you like u deserve

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Which again, only hurts those teams, because Flacco just spiked the market.  Rodgers is clearly a superior QB to that of Eli or Flacco.

It's very bizarre to me that any different than Brady, Brees, Manning or Rodgers, winning a SB, now becomes somehow the market setter.

You're much better off believing in your QB and signing him long term before he can go to market as a FA or allowing something like this Flacco example to compromise your long term budgetary plans.

The fact you think this isn't a big deal is wrong unless you think Flacco can be a potential future HOFer.

I don't think Roethlisberger is a slam dunk HOfer, nor do I think Eli is.  Two SB wins doesn't put you into the HOF. Jim Plunkett isn't in. You have to distinguish yourself in other ways to be in the uber elite club.

I would say Brees set the trend and I would say Peytons contract is worse

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

So because Brady gave himself a 27 million $$ raise now Brees,Manning,Rogers should do the same thing?

Look like a real "team" player,restructure your deal and make an additional 27 million?

I think in any City where the fans are a little more savy then they are in NE ..the QB would be called out on it and not hero worshipped like Brady is beantown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to JRABBB's comment:

So because Brady gave himself a 27 million $$ raise now Brees,Manning,Rogers should do the same thing?

Look like a real "team" player,restructure your deal and make an additional 27 million?

I think in any City where the fans are a little more savy then they are in NE ..the QB would be called out on it and not hero worshipped like Brady is beantown.

queenie is in a spot here:

needs to acknowledge what a "team first Pats type" brady is by-shocking!-taking LESS money(restructuring his contract although as u point out...) while simultaneously defending his constant bashing of brady and blaming him almost exclusively for any and all failures the past 100 years or so...now we know no one can spin/twist/bulls**t like rusty but this is fun to watch

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

It really can kill a team when a guy gets that much, the Patriots are an exception. Brady is always thinking of the team first and works out a better deal for the team. The last QB to sign always gets the biggest contract, flaccos deal has to hurt especially that the cap isnt going up. It would never happen but the Ravens may have been better off trading him for a couple first rounders or high picks. They would save all of that money and could bring in some young talent to replace the aging and guys about to retire 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Sporter 81- Give a F'n break- Brady was looking out for team Brady to the tune of 27 million...WAKE UP- Brady just strafed the pats. Lemmings

Quick question-Do old QB's get better with time or do they just get older??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Who cares about the Ravens.  One shot wonders thanks to Ray Lewis retirement speech.  No way the Ravens have a chance to repeat next year and look out when all that Joe Flacco money hits the CAP.