Hernandez contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Hernandez contract

Examining Aaron Hernandez's New England Patriots contract

In almost all situations, when an NFL player is suspended, he forfeits all of the future guarantees in his contract. Even if a signing bonus or base salary is guaranteed for skill, injury and salary cap, a "failure to perform" or "failure to practice" clause makes those guarantees null and void.

In a surprising twist, this appears not to be the case with the five-year, $40-million extension signed by New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez in August of 2012. Upon close reading of his contract language -- and after confirming the development with an expert -- the "failure to perform" or "failure to practice" clause that appears in similar Patriots extensions is not present. This means Hernandez might be able to keep nearly $2.5 million of the deal, even if legal troubles prevented him from taking the field.

This could have a serious effect on Hernandez if he is ever suspended by the Patriots or the league for his connection to an ongoing homicide investigation in North Attleboro, Mass.

Exactly what does this mean?

According to his amended contract, Hernandez is guaranteed a total of $16 million. Of that, $9.25 million in a signing bonus already has been paid, with the final $3.25 million due in March 2014.

The rest of it comes in guaranteed base salaries for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, along with $1 million total guarantees in workout bonuses for the 2014 and 2015 offseasons. According to Paragraph 32(d) of his amended contract, the workout bonus is "null and void" if the player fails to report.

That "failure to report" clause is the one not present in the sections for his base salaries. In almost all other contracts, it would be.

That means, even if he is suspended or unable to report for any reason, the Patriots still might be on the hook for $1.323 million in 2013 and $1.137 million in 2014. It's unclear why the "failure to perform" or "failure to practice" clause is not present in Hernandez's contract.

Thanks to the missing clause, Hernandez might be able to keep monies that normally would have been voided even if he's not able to practice or play. For instance, the NFL recently won a grievance to show a suspended player's guarantee was no longer guaranteed after a suspension of four games.

Hernandez's deal does have offsets. If he's eventually cut and another team signs him, his new salary would cut into the $2.5 million he's guaranteed to be paid by the Patriots.

Neither Hernandez's representatives at Athletes First nor members of the Patriots administration were available for comment.

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter @RapSheet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Hernandez contract

Some "fans" we have here in New England, still crying over Welker who ran away to our biggest rival, but ready to throw Hernandez to the sharks.

Aaron Dobson # 17; Tom Brady's new best friend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Well I was wondering and not throwing him to the sharks like you say but say if he goes to jail and is released does this money the pats have to pay out go agianst the cap?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You would think with his past history the Pats would make sure there were many clauses in that contract to protect themselves.  That doesn't sound like the Pats.  Maybe they need to start paying attention more to scouting reports/departments.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

You would think with his past history the Pats would make sure there were many clauses in that contract to protect themselves.  That doesn't sound like the Pats.  Maybe they need to start paying attention more to scouting reports/departments.

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

i can't wait to watch rusty spin this one

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

[QUOTE]

Photobucket

[/QUOTE]

No!! Please No!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

I cant belive they would over look something like that !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Photobucket

No!! Please No!!

i hear u tfb but you just know it's coming

kind of like the plague

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

kind of like the plague

Be real. It's what you come here for. Otherwise you would

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zcyyIhSkw1o/TsR03cK3CZI/AAAAAAAAIr8/DgKpBA6JxFk/s400/lol+cats.jpg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Photobucket

No!! Please No!!

kind of like the plague

[/QUOTE]

I know, I know.  Can't wait to see what his take is on this and how he will spin this mistake.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Some "fans" we have here in New England, still crying over Welker who ran away to our biggest rival, but ready to throw Hernandez to the sharks.

Aaron Dobson # 17; Tom Brady's new best friend.

Looks mlike Hernandez is doing a fine job of throwing himself to the sharks without our help.

Assuming he did wrong, I for one am glad to see Pats' fans repulsed by the prospect. Better that than checking one's values at the door because a thug might help you win a ballgame as many other fanbases do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

[QUOTE]i hear u tfb but you just know it's coming

kind of like the plague

Be real. It's what you come here for. Otherwise you would

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zcyyIhSkw1o/TsR03cK3CZI/AAAAAAAAIr8/DgKpBA6JxFk/s400/lol+cats.jpg

[/QUOTE]

You don't ignore nutjobs. You expose them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rusty told us 2 years ago there was no offset language in the contract signed last year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is no way you he can spin this ,well at least I dont see how.

Photobucket

No!! Please No!!

kind of like the plague

[/QUOTE]

I know, I know.  Can't wait to see what his take is on this and how he will spin this mistake.

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

SoxRock if thats really your Pic I will give up everything but My Wife Dog and Guns for 3 nites and a cozy 5 star hotel! Everything else is yours--AFTER 3 nights of.........?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Recent reports suggest that the CBA actually allows teams to clawback signing and other bonuses (but not salary) if a player ends up unable to play because of incarceration.  Haven't had a chance to look it up yet, but I will later. 

Update--language from CBA:

(a) Forfeitable Breach. Any player who (i) willfully fails to report, practice or play with the result that the player’s ability to fully participate and contribute to the team is substantially undermined (for example, without limitation, holding out or leaving the squad absent a showing of extreme personal hardship); or (ii) is unavailable to the team due to conduct by him that results in his incarceration; or (iii) is unavailable to the team due to a nonfootball injury that resulted from a material breach of Paragraph 3 of his NFL Player Contract; or (iv) voluntarily retires (collectively, any “Forfeitable Breach”) may be required to forfeit signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus and/or reporting bonus, and no other Salary, for each League Year in which a Forfeitable Breach occurs (collectively, “Forfeitable Salary Allocations”), as set forth below: 

Sections
Shortcuts