Hernandez Overrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Hernandez Overrated?

I am reading a lot of stuff about the weapons this teams has, how the TE position will be stacked next year, and about how Hernandez creates match up problems for other teams, but honestly I just do not get it. With Gronk out rather than step up he was out-performed by Dennis Pitta (Pitta had more yards per catch and a TD - the only reason Hern had higher totals is that the Pats threw the ball 20 more times than the Ravens). Failing to step out of bounds to get one or two more yards started the clock management crudshow at the end of the first half that may have cost the Pats 4 points.

Bigger picture. His numbers simply do not reflect being anything more than an average NFL player. He averages about 4.6 catches and 51 yards per game (which is about an average NFL tight end and well below average for a guy who lines up in the slot as much as he does). He has one of the worst drop rates in the NFL (third worst this season amongst players with 50+ catches). His 9.5 yards per catch was 110th in the NFL this year. He is supposed to be able to line up in the backfield, but outside of the Denver playoff game last year has never done anything meaningful running the ball. 

Realistically, he is too slow to play the slot on a consistent basis (4.6 in the 40 yard), and too small (6'1", 245 lbs) to really be lined up tight all the time. He is barely bigger than wide receivers like Boldin who are a lot more athletic than he is. Too me he seems like one of the "versatile" guys that BB loves who does not actually do anything great (exception for TD celebrations).

Honestly, I just do not get it. I really wanted him to step up and have the game that Gronk would have, but he is simply not capable of dominating a game that way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Re: Hernandez Overrated?

_

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Good grief.. the negatism won't stop!!!

When shall we see a discussion that starts with: "Why the Pats are the worst team in the NFL!" ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Not by me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

When shall we see a discussion that starts with: "Why the Pats are the worst team in the NFL!" ?

Why do you hate negativity so much?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

You tell a child they are a bad child every day and they grow up believing it.  Tell a child they are good but could use some discipline, they know they'll get better with some work.  Build on the positive, don't tear down with a negative as you put the other party on the defensive right away and they are less receptive to your ideas since they think you do not like them.  I strive to be positive and if things do go wrong, work on making it better knowing it can.  Try it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Not sure he is overrated. He's a dumb football player at certain aspects of his game and not durable but a very good player just the same.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

It is not about being negative. I keep reading about all the stuff this team has to build on for the future. Most of it I agree with... I think that Brady has more than enough good years in him for this team to win another (if not more than one more) Super Bowl. I think Gronk will be a beast for years to come. I think Ridley is the best running back we have since Dillon was in his prime. I think Jones is exactly what the defense needed and the young linebacking crew (Spikes, Mayo and Hightower) can the core of a great defense. I do think the defensive back field could use multiple upgrades.

The one guy I just do got get the obsession with is Hernandez. He is not that big, he is not that fast, he does not have great hands. Really he does not have a true position in the NFL (he reminds me of the NBA guys who are two small to be power forwards, but not quick enough to be small forwards). Twice, with Gronk out (last year's Super Bowl and yesterday), he had a chance to step up and be "the guy" and he has put up okay numbers (to me, a combined 17 catches, 150 yards and 1 TD on 28 targets is not that great).

I think he is a good player, I just feel like the hype exceeds the results on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Look on the bright side. We just inked him to a big contract!

maybebwe should trade him, give welker the money and sign a boldin like guy ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Honestly, I would to see him replaced with that kind of receiver, but that is just me...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Pitta and Hernandez a two completely different players.  One has the size of GRONK the other a RB.  Hernandez is a complementary player too GRONK and not a replacement like he was used due to GRONK's injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

You tell a child they are a bad child every day and they grow up believing it.  Tell a child they are good but could use some discipline, they know they'll get better with some work.  Build on the positive, don't tear down with a negative as you put the other party on the defensive right away and they are less receptive to your ideas since they think you do not like them.  I strive to be positive and if things do go wrong, work on making it better knowing it can.  Try it!

They are not children. They are grown up and overpayed playing a game. It comes witht he territory.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Pitta and Hernandez a two completely different players.  One has the size of GRONK the other a RB.  Hernandez is a complementary player too GRONK and not a replacement like he was used due to GRONK's injury.

Pitta is nowhere near Gronk's size. Pitta is listed at 6'4" 245 lbs Gronk is 6'6" and 265 lbs. By comparison Hernandez is listed at 6'1" 245 lbs (but I doubt he actually weighs that). 

I totally agree about Hernandez being a complimentary player and not really a TE, but that is my point. He maybe be able to do a lot of things, but what does he really do particularly well...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

I think the answer to Hernandez is that he and Gronk need to be on the field at the same time. Gronk makes Hern better for what he does, play action, occasional cross pattern in the slot with Welker,  an extra reciever etc.

edit: After further review I think Tcal2 is saying the same ....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dump a 24 year old for a 33 year old? Thank god you're not our GM. Also, Boldin? We already have like 5 guys guys who're possession WRs, we need a WR like Torrey Smith. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Keep Hernandez, bye bye welker.

wherever did u find a picture of bellichick smiling?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think Hern had a great season this year--at least compared to expectations. He had way too many drops and wasn't a real difference maker I don't think, especially given how much we rely on him as a receiver.  In fairness, though, some of that may have been due to the injury.  He clearly wasn't 100% for much of the season. 

I think Hern has a big role in the team's future (he's a tweener who causes match up problems), but we also have to realize that because he's a tweener he doesn't substitute for either a real WR or a real TE.  He needs to be complemented with those other players.  He isn't a guy who you run your whole offense through.  With Gronk out and no real big WR to stretch the field, Hern, Welker, and Lloyd are just far too limited a receiving group to scare any defense.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Hernandez 1 catch in the 2nd half.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

Hernandez 1 catch in the 2nd half.

Welker 0 catches when it mattered. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hernandez is a receiving TE and is a complimentary piece to a 2 TE set. Without Gronk they could toss a S onto Hernandez eliminating the mismatch that typically occurs. When Fells and Hooman can really only block and not catch balls it has a huge negative effect on Hernandez's game. Replacing Fells with Ballard next year will make a massive difference. Ballard can actually catch balls but it's clear that Fells can't

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Calm Down! Hernandez is still elite but he was hurt most the year and when you dont have anyone else the defense feared , they will double team you and thats what happened. I would give the guy Kudos for catching 9 catches despite being the focus of the ravens D and being doubled most the game.

Its called NO outside threat. The only thing to do to offset it is use Vareen more outside and they didnt do that too much Sunday after it worked the previous week. They should have scrapped Ridley early and went with Vareen and the mismatch vs their Backers. They tried to Please Rusty and got Burned!  Smh and lol....Wow...  Now Hernandez is overated!  lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Dump a 24 year old for a 33 year old? Thank god you're not our GM. Also, Boldin? We already have like 5 guys guys who're possession WRs, we need a WR like Torrey Smith. 

I said maybe, like maybe we should consider it. Agree on Torrey. However, we don't have any wr like boldin. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

Is this a real question? 

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I am reading a lot of stuff about the weapons this teams has, how the TE position will be stacked next year, and about how Hernandez creates match up problems for other teams, but honestly I just do not get it. With Gronk out rather than step up he was out-performed by Dennis Pitta (Pitta had more yards per catch and a TD - the only reason Hern had higher totals is that the Pats threw the ball 20 more times than the Ravens). Failing to step out of bounds to get one or two more yards started the clock management crudshow at the end of the first half that may have cost the Pats 4 points.

Bigger picture. His numbers simply do not reflect being anything more than an average NFL player. He averages about 4.6 catches and 51 yards per game (which is about an average NFL tight end and well below average for a guy who lines up in the slot as much as he does). He has one of the worst drop rates in the NFL (third worst this season amongst players with 50+ catches). His 9.5 yards per catch was 110th in the NFL this year. He is supposed to be able to line up in the backfield, but outside of the Denver playoff game last year has never done anything meaningful running the ball. 

Realistically, he is too slow to play the slot on a consistent basis (4.6 in the 40 yard), and too small (6'1", 245 lbs) to really be lined up tight all the time. He is barely bigger than wide receivers like Boldin who are a lot more athletic than he is. Too me he seems like one of the "versatile" guys that BB loves who does not actually do anything great (exception for TD celebrations).

Honestly, I just do not get it. I really wanted him to step up and have the game that Gronk would have, but he is simply not capable of dominating a game that way.