Hernandez = Wes replacement this yr

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Hernandez = Wes replacement this yr

I think Reiss has a piece on Hernandez being the diamond in the rough...

What are the chances we play 50% of our downs with Hernandez in the SLOT and the other 50% with Eddleman in the Slot.

First, Hernandez is supposedly the TE we have never had, he is smooth, runs crisp routes at a high Speed, was a consensus # 1 TE in america comming out of high school in 2007, he has one of the best set of hands in the draft... I could keep going with all the fluff but that is the word on the street!

Do we use him as an HB, motion him out of the back field and have him pick the ref's as Welker does so well or do we employ a WR.

Edleman will be the man but i can see him being our utility WR for the next three years before Welker departs and he officially takes over the slot.

i feel the addition of Gronk and Crumpler as they are just huge bodied, well refined pass catching TE's allows us to be creative with Hernandez as our slot receiver.

In the long run it may make us less one dementional than many felt we were last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

Re: Hernandez = Wes replacement this yr

I don't follow college football but was really impressed by the youtube clip of Hernandez. I think we are still weak at WR and RB and agree with your suggestion to mix it up and become less predictable.

I hope Tate/Price/Hern/ or Gonk starts quickly out of the gate to make an impact.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I cannot forget how well Keith Biars was used when he was our H-Back durring our run to the super bowl in 1996...

If we could find a guy like that, to fill that roll that would be great

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

tagandtrade = good memory...I had forgotten about him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Not sure that you can compare either TEs with Wes Welker. Totally different kinds of players. Welker is basically a slot wide receiver who receives short passes, precise routes, and gets plenty of YAC.

Let's just say Hernandez (or even Gronkowski) has good hands. If he is successful over the middle - it's not necessarily because they run good routes - it's because they're bigger/taller/longer reach vs. linebackers who may be covering them and can use their body to shield them away from their defender.

Edelman is much closer to being this upcoming year's replacement for Welker.

In addition, if Hernadez or Gonzales are going to be a factor in scoring TDs and catching passes, BB will have to get away from merely using TEs to block to protect Brady.  Would love to see it - it'll be interesting to see what happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like the Keith Byers comparison, we can hope he could be that good. I'm sure they will find a place for him and should make the offense more dynamic. I like the pieces they added; Holt, Price, Gonokowski., Hernandez, Crumpler. Hopefully Price can open some things up with his speed and Brady will build a chemistry with these guys during training camp.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

hopefully he does not smoke a spliff before the first game

haha

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

no, i think edelman is that person, didn't you watch the Houston game?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think edelman is welker's replacement this year for sure. hernandez is something different - something we havent had before. i'm not sure about the byers comparison...he was an older player, very experienced, a great blocker in the pocket but not fast at all. hernandez seems like a dallas clark type - fast, strong, great hands. i think he'll be on the field with gronk and moss and will operate more as a WR. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Byers was not fast but he had those quick, short stride feet

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

yeah i remember...and we did send him on deep routes from time to time...it was funny seeing him go downfield with those little steps...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

HERNANDEZ WILL BE OUR DALLAS CLARK

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aluvium. Show aluvium's posts

Edelmen was awesome this year, can't wait to see more from him this season but I just remember in that Ravens game he was the only one with heart and breaking tackles.

As for Hernandez after watching the videos I could see us splitting him out wide as a reciever at times to create mismatches. He looks like he can lineup in different areas and cause some problems.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Hernandez is a solid Dallas Clark type receiving TE who actually blocks very well,but from the reports now leaking out he can also roll up all of Randy's stash for him...I like the kids football skills though.