Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady

Hello,

My question is who will take him, why, for how much, and what will we receive in return?

Assuming Brady gets franchised next year, a scenario that i feel is plausible based on the facts that the patriots cannot structure a lucrative contract without violating the modified 2010 CBA...

Brady is only allowed to make correct me if i am wrong 20% more than the current face value of his salary???? Without causing detriment to the team in 2011 or causing retroactive penalties under the new CBA when it evolves.

If he is fact Franchised next year, and he plays under the TAG he would secure the average of the top three earners @ the QB position roughly 16 million per year... He could be TAG again if he agrees to play under the tag without a guarantee that he will not be tagged again like Julieous Pepers did for the past two years in Carolina.

If he does indeed sign a clause with the Patriots that would protect him from a tag in the subsequent year........ a clause the Patriots would opt out of in my opinion..... he will be traded.

To whom?
    What will we receive in return?
    And how much will his new contract be for?

My opinion

1) San Fransico
    2) 1st in 2012, 1st in 2013, 2nd, 3rd and 4th 2012 plus a 2013 2nd
    3) Payment, 5 years 120,000 million 60 million guaranteed

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady

In Response to Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady:
    Hello, My question is who will take him, why, for how much, and what will we receive in return? Assuming Brady gets franchised next year, a scenario that i feel is plausible based on the facts that the patriots cannot structure a lucrative contract without violating the modified 2010 CBA... Brady is only allowed to make correct me if i am wrong 20% more than the current face value of his salary???? Without causing detriment to the team in 2011 or causing retroactive penalties under the new CBA when it evolves. If he is fact Franchised next year, and he plays under the TAG he would secure the average of the top three earners @ the QB position roughly 16 million per year... He could be TAG again if he agrees to play under the tag without a guarantee that he will not be tagged again like Julieous Pepers did for the past two years in Carolina. If he does indeed sign a clause with the Patriots that would protect him from a tag in the subsequent year........ a clause the Patriots would opt out of in my opinion..... he will be traded. To whom? What will we receive in return? And how much will his new contract be for? My opinion 1) San Fransico 2) 1st in 2012, 1st in 2013, 2nd, 3rd and 4th 2012 plus a 2013 2nd 3) Payment, 5 years 120,000 million 60 million guaranteed
    Posted by tagandtrade

I'm not a draft kind of guy but isn't SF giving up A LOT for a QB in his early 30's?

Do they even have that kind if cap space available?

Thirdly, no I don't see this happening. It's one thing to trade your Montana away when he feels he can still play and you feel otherwise but to trade away/let go your Montana when he's still clearly capable of playing the game at a high level is ludicrous. He had one of his better statistical seasons last year and he was coming off a major knee injury and lacked a legitimate tight end and third receiver option. This is all the media creating a story to fill the headlines. He's not going anywhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

what nonsense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

In Response to Re: Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady:
    In Response to Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady : I'm not a draft kind of guy but isn't SF giving up A LOT for a QB in his early 30's? Do they even have that kind if cap space available? Thirdly, no I don't see this happening. It's one thing to trade your Montana away when he feels he can still play and you feel otherwise but to trade away/let go your Montana when he's still clearly capable of playing the game at a high level is ludicrous. He had one of his better statistical seasons last year and he was coming off a major knee injury and lacked a legitimate tight end and third receiver option. This is all the media creating a story to fill the headlines. He's not going anywhere.
    Posted by apdynasty23

Not agreeing with the original post, nor refuting this one, just some points. Original post said 20% raise but the actual number is 30%. However, that is only for base salary. Signing bonuses are not included in that number so it would have to be up front money + 30% on top of what he already makes (that's in general, lots of ways to play with the numbers).

This second post is asking whether the 49ers would be giving up too much. Considering that the Bears gave up two 1st, a 3rd and their own starting QB, I don't think it's too far off, but maybe a bit. Yes, I realize Cutler is younger but he is nowhere near the caliber of QB of Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The only way Brady is not extended this year would be that there is indeed some messy restrictions with the CBA as some in the media have stated.  In such a case however, I would expect him to be franchised and then signed to his big deal.  Unless I'm mistaken, the CBA rules making it messy now only apply to extending him while under his current contract.

Would not Manning be in a similar situation with the Colts?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

In Response to Re: Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady:
    The only way Brady is not extended this year would be that there is indeed some messy restrictions with the CBA as some in the media have stated.  In such a case however, I would expect him to be franchised and then signed to his big deal.  Unless I'm mistaken, the CBA rules making it messy now only apply to extending him while under his current contract. Would not Manning be in a similar situation with the Colts?
    Posted by carawaydj

Manning is also in the same boat, the difference though is that Manning is scheduled to make somewhere around $14 mil this year, whereas Brady will only be scheduled to make around $5 mil this year. That is where both the 30% raise and signing bonus numbers come in. It looks alot nicer to have 30% more of Peyton's salary than it does to Brady. So the difference will have to be made up in signing bonuses. It should still be a no-brainer but with the franchise tag (and the "exclusive" franchise tag) being available, I think they are just being cautious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Brady would not fit under the cap for San Fran. They would have to do an unrealistic offer of an outrageous bonus combined with a low salary...of which the Pats can do the same.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Realistically, I think the reasons why you don't see franchise QB's move very often is because they have more value to their current team.  I'm not talking about people at the end of their career like Montana and Favre but guys in their prime.  Would Manning be as good on another team?  It's a question teams would have to ask and the expectation would be that in a new situation and system  he has a good chance of declining some.  But on his own team he would be expected to play just as well.  Just look at Cutler. 

I think the Pats give him more money than anyone else is willing to pay because though he may be a 17mil a year QB on the Pats he may be a 10 Mil a year QB on the Bears, or 49ers, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

He will not be traded.  Enough already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SausageandPepper. Show SausageandPepper's posts

yeah Tom is worth the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for New England Fans but that package is way too much for any team to pay for Brady. Teams have learned from those outrageous deals from the past.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

"5 years 120,000 million"
    Hahahaha, if 49ers offer TB 120,000 million $, I wouldn't hold anything against him for leaving Patriots. Speaking of that kind of money, he could probably buy Greece and shuttle between europe and west coast in his off season ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Payment, 5 years 120,000 million 60 million guaranteed

And that's the end of SF's cap money.  Last place for a decade. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

why would we trade the greatest player in NFL history?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Actually, San Francisco can afford to pay Brady anything he wants. If the Pats, a team that has dominated the past decade, can afford to keep Brady at 16-20 mill as year, a team like the uprising 9ers can as well. 

The part I don't agree with is why the 9ers would give up two 1st rounders for a QB, not as APDynasty mentioned to be in his early thirties, in his mid-thirties. Brady is 32 now, he'll be 33 by the end of this football year. He plays out his year he'll be 34 by next camp, he gets tagged and he'll be 35 by the time the Pats try to trade him. I honestly think that if the Pats can't reach a deal with Tom that they will just let him hit FA out of respect for what he's done for the franchise. 

I seriously doubt the Pats let Tom get anywhere near Free Agency, but if they do, Tom will either stay a Patriot or become a 9er. You can't compare the Bears giving up a what they gave up for, what everybody believes is, a Farve-like QB in his mid-twenties. Also, the guy who wonders what Tom will be like in another system by comparing him to Cutler forgets that Cutler has never been accurate. He's a Farve QB, and when a gunslinger goes to a team with no passing weapons his INTs will increase, while his TDs will drop. Brady in the 9ers offense would flourish. He would have one of the best TEs in football, one of the best RBs, a pretty good OL, and a receiver that he would love to throw to in Crabtree. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

The whole New England offense rests on having a QB who can make quick reads, quick throws, and knows where everyone is going.  That being the case, the QB is the only position that cannot turnover as easily as say, a RB or WR.  New England will pay him what he's worth, they just want to do it in the most flexible way under the new CBA.  You don't get rid of a guy who's won 3 Superbowls and completes 65% of his passes while getting 25-28 TD's a year (only giving up 15 int's in the process). 

Brady retires as a Patriot!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Did someone put a batch of stupid in the water where the thread's writer comes from?  This thread is as bad as Murghor's (sp?) thread saying we wont pay TB. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

If a deal like that with San Fran was on the table; a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in 2012 and a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2013... I would laugh. Although I'd still rather have Brady because with him, we're always in some sort of contention for the playoffs. Then again, who knows that kind of crazy deals Bill Belichick could make with all of those draft picks, on top of the ones he already has to toy with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Herschel Walker "THE TRADE" part 2 staring Tom Brady:
    Hello, My question is who will take him, why, for how much, and what will we receive in return? Assuming Brady gets franchised next year, a scenario that i feel is plausible based on the facts that the patriots cannot structure a lucrative contract without violating the modified 2010 CBA... Brady is only allowed to make correct me if i am wrong 20% more than the current face value of his salary???? Without causing detriment to the team in 2011 or causing retroactive penalties under the new CBA when it evolves. If he is fact Franchised next year, and he plays under the TAG he would secure the average of the top three earners @ the QB position roughly 16 million per year... He could be TAG again if he agrees to play under the tag without a guarantee that he will not be tagged again like Julieous Pepers did for the past two years in Carolina. If he does indeed sign a clause with the Patriots that would protect him from a tag in the subsequent year........ a clause the Patriots would opt out of in my opinion..... he will be traded. To whom? What will we receive in return? And how much will his new contract be for? My opinion
    1) San Fransico
    2) 1st in 2012, 1st in 2013, 2nd, 3rd and 4th 2012 plus a 2013 2nd  (throw in willis, gore, and vernon davis and you would have a deal)
    3) Payment, 5 years 120,000 million 60 million guaranteed
    Posted by tagandtrade

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Brady will not be traded and whoever started this charade should be beheaded.

Patrick Willis and three firsts.....Mr. Singletary.....can't see that going over well with Niner brass !

A more likely scenario is that Mankins is unloaded and Brady stays happy in NE.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Im am a total Patriot fan but you guys are so far off on this its incredible. You are fooling yourselves into thinking Brady is GOD, update, he is not. He is a man, no more no less, and football in New England is a business. When Bledsoe was taken out of the line up and Brady was kept in everyone thought this was nuts. This will happen with Brady just like it does with anyone else. Matt Casell wether you liked him or not proved that a quaterback under BB can do very well even if his name isnt Tom. Kraft is a business man PERIOD. When the time comes to move Brady it will be done. You can all hate it, cry about it, throw stones at Jerry Springer, but it wont stop Tom Brady from going WEST... The writings on the wall boys, he didnt build Gracelands Big Brother for nothing or to visit on off seasons. Start looking for a new quaterbak, and remember, I told you so...........Embarassed

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Well, Jerry Springer isn't my favorite cat, however he makes a few good points.  I really thought we would keep Cassel and trade Brady, but we didn't.  If the next guy shows anything like Cassel had, its getting late in Brady's career, and may not be a bad time to get some value for him.  He lives on the west coast, so the 49ers, his childhood team, would be a great fit, maybe he would take a bit less to play there.  Only if Hoyer is the equal of Cassel.  I know what you guys will say to that, but I thought Cassel's 2008 play was superb, and I don't care what his 2009 play was, since it was in Kansas.  If Hoyer can match Cassels level, I would say, time to trade Tom and move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The Patriots successful formula of shrewd cap management, building of depth, and developing quality players cannot and will not justify getting rid of a 3-time Super Bowl QB in his early- to mid-thirties while he still has years left in him. As successful as their management model is, not every situation fits into their formula and not every situation spits out an easy, cut-and-dry solution. One can make the argument that the financial numbers say it's getting really close to dump Brady because for what you're going to pay him, maybe you don't get the maximum value that you'd typically expect. Still, this is one of those cases where you put your formula aside and do the right thing: keep Brady, pay him what he's due, and let him retire as a Patriot. I understand Belichick practically builds quarterbacks out of nothing but you'd think Brady is a bit more than just a puppet for Belichick.

Also, if people here thought not signing Wilfork would send a ripple effect through the fanbase and the organization in general, imagine what not signing Brady would do. People will take notice that you can be THE integral part of winning 3 Super Bowls and going to 4 and still not get your fair market value with this organization. Face it, right now Brady is 50% of the reason why players are willing to come here even with a paycut.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Find this interesting, looks like Brady wants to see what Manning gets before he negoiates a deal. In the end I'd say Brady is a Pat in 2011 until the middle of the decade.

From Rotoworld

"According to NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, Tom Brady won't sign a long-term contract with the Pats until Peyton Manning gets a new deal with the Colts.
    LaCanfora doesn't think there's any way that Brady departs, but the question is whether he's malleable to another team-friendly deal. Manning's deal, expected to approach $20 million per season, will set a "template" for Brady."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

If I were SF I would not give away 6 top draft picks for anybody. Brady is great but it would short the team of key personnel overall for several years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I can't believe someone would even POST This!  Brady isn't going to be Traded! You people are crazy!  Stop listening to Felger and being brainwashed!

Brady is the REASON why the Patriots are on the MAP and Puts Fannies in the SEATS in Foxboro! PERIOD!  He is the reason WHY Mr Kraft got a chance to BUILD Pats Fantasy/Candy Land down on Rt 1!

The Pats will take care of Tom Brady when the time is right!  Kraft isn't a stupid business man.  He knows why he continues to make his Millions! (hint--#12)

Sections
Shortcuts