Hey DB's turn your freaking heads!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Just finished watching the Pats Phins game again on NFL network and I just can't believe how the Pats DB's never turn their heads to see where the ball is.  Even in routes that they know where the WR is going all they have to do is turn their head. 

Last Phins TD yesterday the receiver was running an out route in the end zone and didn't have much more room to run Nate Jones had to have known the ball was in the air, all he had to do was turn his head and he could have made a play on the ball.  Seriously pathetic!  Brown was right there why didn't he yell that the ball was up?  Week in and week out this has been a problem, you would think they would have this perfected by now.  Who's more to blame the players or coaches for not getting this fixed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Hey DB's turn your freaking heads!!

I've noticed the exact same thing all year long. McCourty has actually not been beaten all that much for example. He just isn't reading the receiver and turning to make a play on the ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

They are distracted by how out of position the safeties are on virtually every pass play and they can't help, but stare at them...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

My wife can attest to the fact that I've been screaming "Turn your head around!!!"  waaay too many times this year.  I agree with Babe on McCourty, he's right there just rarely finding the ball!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Even Nicovich could have had an easy INT when he was covering the QB and Reggie threw that pathetic pass, but instead put his hands up and ran into him causing a penalty and TD!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

That's called bad coaching, you have to look to the big guy (BB) when it comes to that. It's clear that Bills philosophy is to never take your eyes of the WR so that you can prevent a big play. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

There's nothing more frustrating then watch a helpless db embarrass himself out there. Its been a terrible year for db's all throughout the NFL. Poor fundamentals , poor teaching and rule changes are killing this league. I don't think the NFL fully grasps how serious it is. They only care about covering the a s s , a little late for that anyway. It's getting to the point where its becoming a joke. Guys I grew up watching , all time greats couldn't play in todays game. There's something really wrong with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Hey DB's turn your freaking heads!!:
    [QUOTE]Even Nicovich could have had an easy INT when he was covering the QB and Reggie threw that pathetic pass, but instead put his hands up and ran into him causing a penalty and TD!
    Posted by raptor64d[/QUOTE]

That was horrible.  Not what you expect from a player at that level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]I've noticed the exact same thing all year long. McCourty has actually not been beaten all that much for example. He just isn't reading the receiver and turning to make a play on the ball.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I was always taught to read the receiver and most the time you can tell by their facial expressions that the ball is on its way and thats when you turn your head.  It just amazes me DMC cant do this.  Your right, a lot of times he is just right there all he needs to do is turn and look.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Hey DB's turn your freaking heads!!:
    [QUOTE]Just finished watching the Pats Phins game again on NFL network and I just can't believe how the Pats DB's never turn their heads to see where the ball is.  Even in routes that they know where the WR is going all they have to do is turn their head.  Last Phins TD yesterday the receiver was running an out route in the end zone and didn't have much more room to run Nate Jones had to have known the ball was in the air, all he had to do was turn his head and he could have made a play on the ball.  Seriously pathetic!  Brown was right there why didn't he yell that the ball was up?  Week in and week out this has been a problem, you would think they would have this perfected by now.  Who's more to blame the players or coaches for not getting this fixed?
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

lmao!
    good one.

coaching silly. all the dbs, all season. cmon. its coaches job to correct technique.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]That's called bad coaching, you have to look to the big guy (BB) when it comes to that. It's clear that Bills philosophy is to never take your eyes of the WR so that you can prevent a big play. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I hate to say it, but it's so painfully obvious.

This hasn't been this year, this has been problematic for a few years.

NOT A SINGLE DEFENSIVE BACK HAS GOTTEN BETTER FROM YEAR TO YEAR!

Meriweather
    Butler
    Wilhite
    Wheatley
    Bodden
    McCourty

Maybe a case could be made for Arrington, but he hasn't been especially impressive, even with the 7 ints.

DBs have routinely been having their best season, by far, their rookie years, and steadily regress from there. Bad coaching, plain and simple.

They are obviously taught to play the WR, and it does not work. It has killed the careers of quite a few young DBs already.

In the past BB has made his bones on having his D react, but that was with personel like:

Law
    Milloy
    Harrison
    Asante

It is obviously not working now, hasn't for a few years, and yet nothing changes.

Time to be PROactive, and try to make a few plays rather than waiting, and hoping for the offense to make a mistake. FORCE a few mistakes.

The lack of swivelling heads has been driving me crazy for years. It was first obvious with Butler, that poor kid couldn't do it, he relied on instincts, and the Pats seemed to try to coach him out of instincts, and coached him right out of the league.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The regression of so many DBs is a very interesting phenomenon, and I can't help wondering if ma6dragon9's hypothesis is correct.  Law and Samuel benefitted from different schemes--Law was allowed to bump and run before the rules changed and Samuel played a lot of zone.  Lately, though, they've been trying to use a lot more man coverage and their corners don't seem to play it well. McCourty looked good in man coverage last year, but now he seems to either lose his receiver or not see the ball in time.  Last year he seemed both to stay with his receiver and see the ball to make a play on it.  I'm not sure what has happened--but maybe dragon is right and the defensive coaches are overcoaching these guys so they lose their instincts.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Agreed.  I've seen our DB's cover reasonably well, they just don't make the play, most of the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Yeah, watched the game again last night and noticed that too.

Noticed DMC played better in the second half, except he got burned again by Brandon Marshall. Noticed Sergio Brown was all over he field helping out DMC and Jones.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

This has been going on for years.  Asante was a gambler and would get burned if he did not make the interception.  Hobbs always got beat over the top.  Take a look back to the 2007 superbowl.  It was no different than.  The thing that is hurting this team is the safeties are so terrible.  They are not covering.  The DB is releasing their receiver and the safety is failing to pick him up.  Some how the safety role has changed and it is not working.