Hey Rusty. Still feeling good about the Mallett bet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey Rusty. Still feeling good about the Mallett bet?

I'm still holding on to the belief that he will remain in NE, at least into the preseason, but I really think it's 50-50 at this point. Jax & Clev could still be suitors, but I don't think either team will give  BB a sweet enough offer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Hey Rusty. Still feeling good about the Mallett bet?

I don't think we can get second round pick for this guy.  Don't care that he was a top 15 selection in some draft publication's mock draft...heck, I bet some of us were top 15 picks on some of these sites. And I don't care that this is a weak quarterback class in terms of free agents and draft hopefuls...doesn't mean teams will hand over a top pick for a guy that has done nothing but get selected in the third round and play like it.

I'd be shocked if we get a second rounder for him and would consider it a major victory.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Fair points and good logic. Can't say I disagree with any of it. It will come down to compensation. Will anyone offer BB enough to part with the strong-armed backup? We'll see.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Agreed the most likely time is draft weekend. One of these teams looking at what they need and what they can get..lets say early 2nd round will see trading that pick to NE for Mallet is their best deal. After all, Mallet was a first rounder that got pushed back for character issues, he has been riding the pine and has not acted up over 2 years in NE  (no issues with drugs or partying either). Talk about wiping out his major percieved negative.

King is correct, huge bargain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'd be surprised if someone traded a second round pick for Mallett.  I doubt he's going anywhere, if he did it would be for a 3rd or 4th. He hasn't shown anything, just an interception that probably wasn't his fault. He may be a decent QB but hasn't had the chance to show or play with the 1st offense in a meaningful point of a game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hmmm...Geno smith is a legit 1 st round talent Russ...Barkley maybe, but not Manuel. 

Mallet did have legit 1 st round talent and stats to prove it. 

So, if smith is a first round talent , and the amount of trading going on now with teams for qb's, what team is gong to be standing when the music stops and there are no chairs? I don't think a team gives up a first for mallett with the intention of sitting behind cutler or a legit starter. I think it would be a team that is rebuilding and sees mallett as a key cog, not just brought in for competition and depth. I don't think teams do this with firsts...2nd possibly depending on the legitimacy of the starter, and so on. 

Cleveland could still be in play for a third and another pick. Jax, Arizona, Tampa...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

The only way they get a second round pick for Mallett is package deal.  Mallett and their 7th round pick for a second?  More likely it will be Mallett and their 7th for a third and a pick in the 6th because Bill needs more bodies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

THe two questions are is Mallett better than whatever QB is left after round one or is this a smokescreen? Either way BB is generating interest in Mallett and it is a below average draft class for QBs.  Also posits the idea that BB could trade down with a team that is QB hungry (Jax, Buff, Clev. whoever) and net a high 2nd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

The only way they get a second round pick for Mallett is package deal.  Mallett and their 7th round pick for a second?  More likely it will be Mallett and their 7th for a third and a pick in the 6th because Bill needs more bodies.

This I could see happening - some sort of package deal for Mallett - not just a straight up second rounder for the guy.

To me he is a kid that has a strong arm, but it looks like he stares down receivers and makes too many throws down the middle. He doesn't avoid the rush all that well and I seriously wonder about his decision making. He has done virtually nothing in two preseasons, and I don't think it's fair to say he slipped a little bit and should be rated on par or above the talent in this draft. He slipped 50 something spots - that doesn't happen by accident - and questionable character concerns may of played a roll, but I think his play did too. The kid from the Vols has just as good an arm as Mallett and a better release...same size, etc. Teams can select him in the second round if they want. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Don't be suprised to see a draft day trade involving Mallet. Their are a lot of QB hungry teams out there and this guy would have gone 1st round if not for the off field pot thing. Since being a Patriot the guy has been a model citizen and has been tutored by the best, so I would not be shocked that some team like Minny, Cleveland, Jax, etc take a chance and give up their 2nd AND 6th-that's right you heard me a 2nd and 6th!!!! Vegas says $65 to make $100 that Mallet gets traded ,(my spread).LOL