Hightower In Coverage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Hightower In Coverage

Will this be the achilles heel of the patriots defense the rest of this season. I think the rush defense will hold up well enough without wilfork.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Hightower In Coverage

hightower is a better cover guy than Spikes. Brees looked fast compared to him. i think i could get open on spikes. like Russ said he had a lot to worry about this week give him time

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

At least Spikes gives 100%.  Half the time it looks like Hightower is just going through the motions and doesn't try. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Give the guy a week or two to get used to his new duties.  He isn't as fast or agile as Mayo, so I don't expect him to be as good in coverage as Mayo, but he may eventually be better than he looked against the Jets. Part of the challenge we've got now is that we need Spikes to make us more stout against the run with our big DTs out.  This makes it a bit harder to replace Spikes with a better coverage guy.  And Hightower is now the brains of the operation, so taking him out is tough too.  Belichick is going to have to figure that problem out.  I guess the hope is that Collins (or Fletcher or whoever plays third LB) is going to be a good coverage guy.  Spikes may be rotated a bit more too, though that's going to require the DTs to really step up.  Jones and Vellano seem to be able to penetrate a bit, but they haven't been quite as good at holding position against the run.  They get driven back a lot, and Spikes helps compensate for that. There's no doubt losing Mayo hurts this team--I think more than losing Wilfork, though losing Wilfork is no great shakes either. It's a big challenge for the team--and disappointing too because the defense was really looking like a good one this year prior to the injuries.  The good thing is that BB is the best in the business at adjusting to these kinds of situations and can get even mediocre talent to play, collectively, pretty effectively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

BB my be good at adjusting....but you can only polish a turd....but it's STILL a turd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm not counting Hightower out yet.  I thought he was playing well with Mayo in, though his responsibilities were more limited then.  Now that he's got an expanded role, I think we have to give him a few weeks to settle in to it.  Let's see how he looks after BB gets some time to review the tape with him and coach out some of his mistakes or make some tweaks to scheme. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

It would be nice if Hightower were to have the skill and propensity to improve and (somehow) learn how to cover(although don't you need even a LITTLE bit of speed for that), I just don't see it happening.  I would think he'd have to drop 20 or so pounds to play MLB effectively. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

It would be nice if Hightower were to have the skill and propensity to improve and (somehow) learn how to cover(although don't you need even a LITTLE bit of speed for that), I just don't see it happening.  I would think he'd have to drop 20 or so pounds to play MLB effectively. 

It will be a challenge, I agree.  What is more likely, I think is that Collins or Fletcher is groomed to play the Mayo role.  Hightower may still call the plays, but Collins or Fletcher will have assignments more like Mayo's.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Everytime I've seen Collins, he's not been as much of a factor as I thought he would.  he's looked LOST (as any rookie would I suppose)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I've criticized him and said he wasn't ready, but he is talented. Don't think that can be denied, but what Mayo brought is hard to replace. Give him time...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

Everytime I've seen Collins, he's not been as much of a factor as I thought he would.  he's looked LOST (as any rookie would I suppose)

He's also a second round pick, not a first rounder, and usually second rounders don't step right in.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Yeah...  He seems more of a zone cover guy.  Not Man,  similar to spikes.  Tough shoes to fill , when you look at Mayo's abilities.

I was expecting more pressure packages to rattle Geno.  But you hardly ever see this from Pats D, and it bugs me.  We saw a little corner blitzing late and some other times but I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT EARLY IN THE GAME ... bfore the rookie QB gets comfortable out there tossing balls all over to Kerly who is tough to cover.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He just looked like a fat load who couldn't keep up.

Maybe the reason the Pats traded up to pick him will be revealed next week.

Sections
Shortcuts