Hightower is the worst pass rusher /contain LB in the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Hightower is the worst pass rusher /contain LB in the league

In response to coolade2's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

The guys on n.e tailgate(biggest homers) even called out hightower for taking bad angles to the ball and not husting to the ball. The thing is he has talent, but he isnt being used right. He actually looked better last year when he was outside and rushing the passer on 3rd downs, he had a couple of punishing sacks. Qbs are not gonna want to be hit by him, same as James Harrison.  He can play some DE in a 4-3 and some OLB in a 3-4 but he is NOT a middle linebacker in a 4-3 or a 3-4, strong or free. Put Fletcher there and let him loose on the QB please.

So then why take shots at the guy? He is molded for the mike vrabel role. Rush the passer, set the edge, drop back in the zone and get in passing lanes. Vrabel was also 270 pounds and played some emergency ILB, but didn't play it particularly well, ala Hightower.....so why are we starting threads that he is the worst or whatever other meaningless jargon has been spewed on this topic?

He is 270 freaking pounds. I think Bruschi was refering to being too heavy for the position Hightower was thrust into because one of the best ILB's in the game is on IR. This premise is as dumb as saying Ridley sux, or Nink sux, or Mayo sux, or DMC sux, or Brady sux, or BB sux. These are either statements made with an agenda to illicit reaction, or statements made of pure ignorance. In either case they are a waste of time.

get off your soapbox for a minute and look at the plays that prompted the thread .   Analyze the play and explain what is going on and why the player is making this mistake.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/11/patriots_take_2_three_game_cha.html?comments=all&ia=22113881

THis article explains it in a nicer way...  On the specific play I was talking about...  Example 1 (pictures) in the article.

So in your judgment Hightower is " the worst pass rusher/contain LB in the league" because he got tangled up behind Vellano and couldn't stop the most dominant running QB in league history?

Sounds pretty silly doesn't it?

I guess Jones is the worst DE in the league because he dove at Cam on his 70 yard run but missed, and Nink sux too because he could only sack cam twice but missed him twice on his 70 yard run. 

Sound logic on this thread. Sound logic indeed.

Why don't you remove your head from the sand and recognize this D is decimated with injuries and the 270 pound Hightower is playing out of position.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The guys on n.e tailgate(biggest homers) even called out hightower for taking bad angles to the ball and not husting to the ball. The thing is he has talent, but he isnt being used right. He actually looked better last year when he was outside and rushing the passer on 3rd downs, he had a couple of punishing sacks. Qbs are not gonna want to be hit by him, same as James Harrison.  He can play some DE in a 4-3 and some OLB in a 3-4 but he is NOT a middle linebacker in a 4-3 or a 3-4, strong or free. Put Fletcher there and let him loose on the QB please.

So then why take shots at the guy? He is molded for the mike vrabel role. Rush the passer, set the edge, drop back in the zone and get in passing lanes. Vrabel was also 270 pounds and played some emergency ILB, but didn't play it particularly well, ala Hightower.....so why are we starting threads that he is the worst or whatever other meaningless jargon has been spewed on this topic?

He is 270 freaking pounds. I think Bruschi was refering to being too heavy for the position Hightower was thrust into because one of the best ILB's in the game is on IR. This premise is as dumb as saying Ridley sux, or Nink sux, or Mayo sux, or DMC sux, or Brady sux, or BB sux. These are either statements made with an agenda to illicit reaction, or statements made of pure ignorance. In either case they are a waste of time.

Ok, I see you got a few questions for me. Let me try to explain again. I did not start the thread , I only commented on it. I am not taking shots at anyone. I said the guy showed no effort which was echoed by experts. Do you think its ever good to not give effort? Is he hurt? idk, but without being on the report I cant say that for him.

Vrabel was never 270 lbs that I recall,  but Levon Kirkland was so I dont buy that he is too heavy. I guess you could say Im taking shots at BB since he decides where he plays. You speak of the Vrable role but thats not how he is being used and he doesnt have to be used inside with Fletcher here. I never said anyone s*x and I dont see how you can be too heavy to play ILB but not OLB. I dont agree. Please dont generalize my comments with those that were exxagerated. You can reply to those people instead of my posts. All Im saying is the way he is playing now, you may as well have him rush the passer which he showed up well doing last year but this year hasnt been allowed too. Collins was also a pass rusher who hasnt rushed yet this year. I mean it not like we need more pass rush right?

Earlier you said, " he should no longer play backer". This is about as exaggerated as it gets imo. He should be playing the Vrabel role on the line, rushing the passer, floating back in the zone occasionally and setting the edge, but again, we lost a top 5 ILB in the game and he is now playimg out of position,  not because BB is an idiot, but because we don't have a choice. Wasn't it just a few games ago where Hightower had 10 and 11 tackles against run heavy teams? Now he sux, because at 270 pounds he can't contain Cam freaking Newton? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Ok, I see you got a few questions for me. Let me try to explain again. I did not start the thread , I only commented on it. I am not taking shots at anyone. I said the guy showed no effort which was echoed by experts. Do you think its ever good to not give effort? Is he hurt? idk, but without being on the report I cant say that for him.

Vrabel was never 270 lbs that I recall,  but Levon Kirkland was so I dont buy that he is too heavy. I guess you could say Im taking shots at BB since he decides where he plays. You speak of the Vrable role but thats not how he is being used and he doesnt have to be used inside with Fletcher here. I never said anyone s*x and I dont see how you can be too heavy to play ILB but not OLB. I dont agree. Please dont generalize my comments with those that were exxagerated. You can reply to those people instead of my posts. All Im saying is the way he is playing now, you may as well have him rush the passer which he showed up well doing last year but this year hasnt been allowed too. Collins was also a pass rusher who hasnt rushed yet this year. I mean it not like we need more pass rush right?

Earlier you said, " he should no longer play backer". This is about as exaggerated as it gets imo. He should be playing the Vrabel role on the line, rushing the passer, floating back in the zone occasionally and setting the edge, but again, we lost a top 5 ILB in the game and he is now playimg out of position,  not because BB is an idiot, but because we don't have a choice. Wasn't it just a few games ago where Hightower had 10 and 11 tackles against run heavy teams? Now he sux, because at 270 pounds he can't contain Cam freaking Newton? 

we are in agreement as you stated in your last post that he is out of position. Thats all Im saying. Thats been clear but he dogged it a few plays last game. Its one thing to fill in for a few games but why keep him there when is doing nothing? If he was outside in the 3-4, sure, or a down lineman in a 4-3 in passing situations. He showed promise as a blitzer and now does not.  This guy ONLY played 58 out of 58 snaps because he was calling the plays and had the helmet. If Gregory returns next week, lets see how many snaps he gets. On that TD play, he took a horrible angle and while the guy was still 10 yards away from the endzone, he gave up and trotted it out. Ive never seen ANY defender do that here in a while, being they are all pro, scrub or out of position. Like I said, I saw what I saw and Im sure he got called out this week in the film room.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

get off your soapbox for a minute and look at the plays that prompted the thread .   Analyze the play and explain what is going on and why the player is making this mistake.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/11/patriots_take_2_three_game_cha.html?comments=all&ia=22113881

THis article explains it in a nicer way...  On the specific play I was talking about...  Example 1 (pictures) in the article.

So in your judgment Hightower is " the worst pass rusher/contain LB in the league" because he got tangled up behind Vellano and couldn't stop the most dominant running QB in league history?

I guess Jones is the worst DE in the league because he dove at Cam on his 70 yard run but missed, and Nink sux too because he could only sack cam twice but missed him twice on his 70 yard run. 

Why don't you remove your head from the sand and recognize this D is decimated with injuries and the 270 pound Hightower is playing out of position.

He sure looked like it on that play...lol and as I pointed out in the op there are other examples.  Wow .... look at how defensive you are... Relax.  He sucked on that play. Deal with it.   He showed Zero instinct...Its obvious.   You're picking at my extreme title and missing the point.   He sucked in this game and needs to improve.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

He sure looked like it on that play...lol and as I pointed out in the op there are other examples.  Wow .... look at how defensive you are... Relax.  He sucked on that play. Deal with it.   He showed Zero instinct...Its obvious.   You're picking at my extreme title and missing the point.   He sucked in this game and needs to improve.    

And there we have it. In your own words, you started an extreme thread topic, obviously in order to illicit reaction. When pressed your thought now becomes, he sucked in this game and needs to improve. a far cry from being the worst line backer in the league. Great effort today buddy. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

And there we have it. In your own words, you started an extreme thread topic, obviously in order to illicit reaction. When pressed your thought now becomes, he sucked in this game and needs to improve. a far cry from being the worst line backer in the league. Great effort today buddy. 

not feeling that ... really.   Like you all of a sudden agree that he sucked in this game , and on the play that I specified that the thread was about...?

Doesn't matter what i've posted and backed up repeatedly....  Wht the f' are you saying....?  Hightopwer sucked on this play beyond explanation, hence the worst in the league since noone could do worse...?  Right...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Clowns...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Clowns...

B-O-R-I-N-G....   or worse,  dimwitted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

http://sportsgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Mark-Sanchez-Fumble-GIF.gif

Wilfork, Gregory ,Jermaine Cunninghmam, Nink all involved in the immortal buttfumble,  but curiously there is a player who apparently is content to just watch while dancing backwards... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

http://sportsgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Mark-Sanchez-Fumble-GIF.gif

Wilfork, Gregory ,Jermaine Cunninghmam, Nink all involved in the immortal buttfumble,  but curiously there is a player who apparently is content to just watch while dancing backwards... 

You know it's funny no one ever mentions this - here he is getting twisted and pushed back on a single block...driven out of the play...giving no effort. Hightower is 260 pounds, if you can't run in space, cover, blitz...then you had better be able to stand up to one guard.

Last week I watched Spikes run around with more effort and enthusiasm, that's a bad sign.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A few points:

• On the second Newton scramble Hightower not only does a good job in contain (forcing the play away from him), but he gets downfield to make the tackle in the centre of the field. If we're going to criticize Hightower's weaker plays, let's also acknowledge the stronger ones. 
    • On the first scramble (the one in question), Hightower seems to be trying to position himself behind Soapoaga.  I don't know the defensive call, but iit seems like the Pats were trying to pressure from the defensive leftside (C. Jones, Fletcher, and Nink all headed upfield on that side).  Hightower may well have had the responsibility of trying to clean up if Newtown escaped to either direction (right or left)--sort of like a spy.  He clearly failed to get right fast enough, but his position behind Soapoaga may have been correct.  Carter deserves some blame for losing contain on that play too.  He gets run right out of the play leaving a huge hole for Newton that Hightower may not have been able to fill anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Thanks for at least an attempt to explain it.  No-one else has dared.  Its kind of tough to explain hence the multiple guesses. 

The best way to look at that play is to insert a player like a Bruschi and try to imagine how he would read that play.  Or another player like Spikes...   As a fan you want players who make plays. 

There was a play RIGHT THERE to be made.  Nobody between him and the QB.  Either you have the ability to seize on and make plays or you don't.    Or at LEAST hustle into the gap and TRY. 

The incriminating plays (this one and the ones against Kaepernick last year) are so similar and so intuitively bad (after prepping for mobile QB) that it deserves a thread to break it down and figure it out.  4 pages later,  still wondering.

Sections
Shortcuts