Hightower Takes Over Communication Helmet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Hightower Takes Over Communication Helmet

Dont'a Hightower holding court in locker room. Says he will have communication device in helmet in place of Jerod Mayo. - Per Reiss.

Does he move over to weak side or stay strong side???

Collins/Fletcher -  Weak Side?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Re: Hightower Takes Over Communication Helmet

um...not too excited about Hightower...miss Mayo, too bad he is on IR

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

i was gonna post this. big news. kinda a little suprised Spikes didnt get it. Shows what they think of that.

big news anyways that Hightower is taking over the QB job on D. big test for him every week coming, hopefully he steps up!

also i think they will take Collins/Hightower/Spikes for every two downs and depending on gameplan i think we could see Fletcher replace Spikes depending on the offensive personnel against us

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hightower wore the alternative dot in preseason so not sure if this was really a shock to anyone. He is definitely more heady than Spikes and was a leader in bama so it makes natural sense he'd be the next play caller up

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Hightower wore the alternative dot in preseason so not sure if this was really a shock to anyone. He is definitely more heady than Spikes and was a leader in bama so it makes natural sense he'd be the next play caller up

i guess but the last couple weeks Spikes has suprisingly been playing in pass coverage over Hightower.. he's lost a lot of snaps but obviously the trust with Hightowe is there

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

i guess but the last couple weeks Spikes has suprisingly been playing in pass coverage over Hightower.. he's lost a lot of snaps but obviously the trust with Hightowe is there

I'm wondering if that has more to do with Wilfork being out than Hightower really. Without Wilfork I've noticed they've been sending Spikes up the middle on gap blitzes against the run. They might be keeping him in there knowing other teams might take advantage of the lack of Wilfork and try draws on 3rd downs (like Atl did a couple times). Once Spikes sees the RB peel off he's free to drop back type of thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I'm wondering if that has more to do with Wilfork being out than Hightower really. Without Wilfork I've noticed they've been sending Spikes up the middle on gap blitzes against the run. They might be keeping him in there knowing other teams might take advantage of the lack of Wilfork and try draws on 3rd downs (like Atl did a couple times). Once Spikes sees the RB peel off he's free to drop back type of thing.

yeah i was thinking the same thing too. but it still is surprising, cause i trust Dont'a to play to draw on the 3rd down but its what BB wants and its worked. but now theres no real debate the top two 3rd down LB's are Dont'a and Spikes 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

Not really a surprise to me...he's the best overall LB left on the team, he's pretty fast and quick, hits a ton, and is known as a film studier and has a quick grasp of the D....And they know Spikes is gone after this year...Hightower will be here for a long time...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Also, one clue as to how BB sees the weakside LB in this D with regards to Mayo.  Is the weakside gamecaller on the weakside by design, by strategy, or is it just a coincindence because that is where BB played Mayo?

Think it might be more by coincidence...Mayo was the fastest LB but could also hit like heck, was a sure tackler and had the speed to cover backs in the flat and TE's on middle patterns...the fact he was the smartest guy on the D was the cooincidence...I think it's also why Hightower will be the D signal caller now...he's smart and a leader...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to bigsmellybear's comment:

Also, one clue as to how BB sees the weakside LB in this D with regards to Mayo.  Is the weakside gamecaller on the weakside by design, by strategy, or is it just a coincindence because that is where BB played Mayo?

Think it might be more by coincidence...Mayo was the fastest LB but could also hit like heck, was a sure tackler and had the speed to cover backs in the flat and TE's on middle patterns...the fact he was the smartest guy on the D was the cooincidence...I think it's also why Hightower will be the D signal caller now...he's smart and a leader...

Out of the starters, sure.  Fletcher and Collins are much faster.  It's like losing Wilfork.  Tackling and run stuffing suffer, but there is a lot more speed on the field now.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Good article on the matter from Reiss.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4751265/hightower-set-to-lead-defensive-huddle

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I believe BB wants Hightower to step up and be the man and likely why Spikes moves on in 2014.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Thanks. Sort of hints at the confidence level. Personally, I think Collins can progress with more reps. It's hard, IMO, for a rookie LB to be asked to do things the starters do in spurts. I think it's easier for BB to turn to Buchanan and say "3rd down subpackage, rush the passer" as opposed to all the responsiblities for a Collins in a subpackage.

So, I think with more time, more confidence and reps, Collins can help.

Hightower on Collins: "He's a smart dude, very athletic, probably one of the most athletic guys on the team. He knows the playbook, he's always quick to answer a question. I'm sure whatever they ask him to do, or anybody else in that linebacker room to do, I'm pretty sure they'll be ready to stand up and go.” 

Hightower on Fletcher: "He's definitely a vet guy, an older guy. He actually helps out a lot when we're watching film and giving out hints and checks and stuff like that. Either way, Dane or Jamie, whoever goes out there, I'm comfortable with both of them out there on the field.”

IMHO the words of a leader.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

In response to Section136's comment:

In response to Getzo's comment:

Thanks. Sort of hints at the confidence level. Personally, I think Collins can progress with more reps. It's hard, IMO, for a rookie LB to be asked to do things the starters do in spurts. I think it's easier for BB to turn to Buchanan and say "3rd down subpackage, rush the passer" as opposed to all the responsiblities for a Collins in a subpackage.

So, I think with more time, more confidence and reps, Collins can help.

Hightower on Collins: "He's a smart dude, very athletic, probably one of the most athletic guys on the team. He knows the playbook, he's always quick to answer a question. I'm sure whatever they ask him to do, or anybody else in that linebacker room to do, I'm pretty sure they'll be ready to stand up and go.” 

Hightower on Fletcher: "He's definitely a vet guy, an older guy. He actually helps out a lot when we're watching film and giving out hints and checks and stuff like that. Either way, Dane or Jamie, whoever goes out there, I'm comfortable with both of them out there on the field.”

IMHO the words of a leader.

Hiya Bustchise...how's the Jet family of Trolls on BDC...say hello to Uncle Rico for me...has he gotten the ankle bracelet off yet, and can he leave the house ? Does he still have to stay away from kids? Have the police told the neighbors he's living in your house yet? Must be tough, huh?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I believe BB wants Hightower to step up and be the man and likely why Spikes moves on in 2014.

They play 2 different roles right now. If Spikes leaves it's because he wants too much money or they want to get smaller and faster (see Collins). Not sure if it's because they have Hightower over Spikes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Spikes is more unidimensional than Hightower. But in that single function run-defense role, Spikes is better than Hightower, who is more versatile and may have more situational awareness. We will miss Mayo though, more than any other defensive player, including Wilfork.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Agree.  No major shocker here.  In fact there was even some talk about having him over Mayo as communicator, as he was doing such a great job with it.  Spike isn't the guy you want directing traffic, but rather just let him loose on whoever has the ball. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

My favorite player in this years class was Steve Beauharnais. Hope he gets a chance to hit the field and get reps to TRY and fill the void left by Mayo..............So freaking bummed can't even type................

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hightower ran a similar system at Bama, shouldn't be too much for him to insert himself as the leader of the defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to bigsmellybear's comment:

I suppose. I never though Mayo was faster than Hightower, though. It could be just a coincidence.

Mayo is the fastest, then Collins, Hightower, Fletcher and Spikes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Communication Tower?

Sections
Shortcuts